• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

UraMallas

Playground's new game off the table from possibly being picked up by MS? That team is obviously incredibly talented and that would be a big get imo.

W.S.

LOL, he gets his information from NeoiGAF.
What thread did he get this info from? I don't remember seeing anything about Phil passing on it here but maybe I missed it.

I would just wait until it's announced. I will expect it to look gorgeous though based on their pedigree with the Forza Horizon series.
Yeah this stuff is just rumor, I certainly think it'll look great on the Scorpio regardless.

blakep267

What thread did he get this info from? I don't remember seeing anything about Phil passing on it here but maybe I missed it.

Yeah this stuff is just rumor, I certainly think it'll look great on the Scorpio regardless.
He probably got it from Sneakers. He's the only indication that it's multiplat

Incredible if true. Seeing their close work with Microsoft on the fh series and their pedigree.
It could be what Blake mentioned. Third party deals can be made to fill voids in a lineup. It isn't just about getting exclusive content for the sake of exclusive content.

For example, MS got Tomb Raider because they didn't have a game like Uncharted.

With that being said, I figured MS would want to gather as much exclusive content as possible at this point. We'll see what type of game it is and go from there though.

wapplew

You all forget Ninja Theory.
A souls like ARPG from NT fit the bill. It got multiplayer, souls is hot and trendy, does well on PC, fill the RPG gap from first party, it check every boxes.

Salty Hippo

A souls like ARPG from NT fit the bill. It got multiplayer, souls is hot and trendy, does well on PC, fill the RPG gap from first party, it check every boxes.

I've always thought they would be a great acquisition to continue work on future Scalebound games after the blueprint set by Platinum.

Yeah.

I think he got that information from Sneakers who is the only person that is stating MS passed on the game as an exclusive.

We still don't know what that game is or will be and it's probably 3 years off.

Zukkoyaki

Ninja Theory is an industry-wide wild card. They're a wholly independent dev capable of AAA projects that hasn't released a game where they were the lead in four years. They also have four projects in the works including Hellblade which only has a team of about 20 people on it.

I could see them working with Microsoft, Sony, third parties, independent... really anyone. Hopefully they have something major to show at E3.

Mifune

Mehmber
Ninja Theory is an industry-wide wild card. They're a wholly independent dev capable of AAA projects that hasn't released a game where they were the lead in four years. They also have four projects in the works including Hellblade which only has a team of about 20 people on it.

I could see them working with Microsoft, Sony, third parties, independent... really anyone. Hopefully they have something major to show at E3.

Ninja Theory would be a good get, though it seems like they are tight with Sony so who knows. Like you said, though, they're a pretty big company with a lot of projects in development so they've gotta be working with a big publisher on something.

Ready at Dawn could make for a good partner, too.

E3 2017 and Phil is wrapping up the Xbox presser and goes over all of the games and services coming to Xbox and W10 and then he says "and one more thing, please welcome Bonnie Ross to the stage."

She comes out on stage and shows a trailer for Halo 6 and it like great. Phil comes back on stage and says "Thanks Bonnie and thanks to everyone for coming and for watching." he then goes to walk off stage again only to stop and say, "Oh actually, and one more thing."

The lights go off and then a spotlight appears and Casey Hudson walks on and says hello to both of them and that "For the last few years I've been working on a passion project and I'd like to show you what we've being doing."

He then shows off a trailer for a Third Person Action RPG set in the Halo universe and it looks fucking incredible.

Believe! lol

You don't know what the game is yet. For example what if playground wanted to make the exact same game that Crackdown or State of Decay is? That's be silly to invest in

I would take anything that playground want to shit out personally. That studio is going places in a big way and if ms were so against 2 zombies games they wouldn't have moneyhatted dead Rising 4

I think they'll do something different though

Chobel

I've heard the rumor from Rand on twitter way before Sneakers talk about it here in GAF. It's definitely not from Sneakers.

STEaMkb

He probably got it from Sneakers. He's the only indication that it's multiplat

People have been speculating that the second title might be multiplatform ever since Playground's gamesindustry.biz interview in February.

"We have a great studio here, with a really broadly experienced staff, some of whom joined us five, six years ago as graduates. For some of them, this was their first job in the industry. I remember many of them starting green as you like. They've grown up in this studio, grown in experience over three games of increasing quality, and are now in a position where they are looking to develop their careers. We want them to do that here rather than somewhere else, but with only one team the opportunities for that are limited. ... Adding a second studio and a new title into the mix is a big leap forward for the company and will require some new processes, but Fulton says the transition is planned to be as smooth as possible."

It's only speculation at this point.

Doffen

sAsfyol.png

You all hyped for Minecraft toys-to-life??

Leflus

Looking at their career page they seem to be working on at least two projects:

Studio Gobo is looking for a UX designer to join our team, working on an exciting free-to-play product based on a globally-recognised IP for a major publisher.

Studio Gobo is looking for a talented Character animator to work on a new AAA character action franchise for a global client.

Leaning towards the f2p game being the MS game, tbh. Maybe Doffen's suggestion isn't that far from the truth? :p

Rand Al Thor 19 whom gets insider information on various occasions tweeted that MS passed on the game being an exclusive for them but then again he's also unsure if it's true.

How many vids a week does he make?

Comes across as a shill to me, bragging about all his contacts, how he "knows things that you don't know" blah blah blah another bore that adds nothing but borderline PR speak to Xbox fans.

Interesting. See everyone, who would have expected Studio Gobo as partners? Just like we been saying all along...MS is unpredictable with partners

Are we sure this is actually a game though? Also, ms have tons of contract partners who assist on other stuff, not going to get interested if it's just Minecraft stufff or something.

It's an interesting partnership but need to see some receipts on what they're actually doing before there is something worth actually paying attention too

Leflus

Shit man I might apply for that character animator job lmao
You can become our man on the inside. :p

Are we sure this is actually a game though? Also, ms have tons of contract partners who assist on other stuff, not going to get interested if it's just Minecraft stufff or something.

It's an interesting partnership but need to see some receipts on what they're actually doing before there is something worth actually paying attention too
You could be right, but I kind of doubt that they would publicly announce the partership if it only was a support role on an existing project.

I'm super hyped for State of Decay 2... The first game was/is my favorite cross-gen title along with Titanfall (and easily in my top 5 of current gen despite it's serious flaws). So, really, if they knock it out of the park and make it the game that the first one coulda/shoulda been, that's all I'll need to justify a Scorpio purchase.

But...damn, the rest of that list is sad. Sea of Thieves is the only other title that looks even mildly interesting. Phil better have some big surprises in the works for E3.

Before Double Helix made Killer Instinct and the new Strider their entire resume was shitty movie tie ins.

And now they're at Amazon doing who knows what. Man MS should've locked them down.

They did a good job with KI imo

Interesting to see what comes of this, a Halo Infinity or Minecraft? I'm hoping for something new personally.

You could be right, but I kind of doubt that they would publicly announce the partership if it only was a support role on an existing project.

Splash Damage rather publicly announced their support role for Gears, Certain Affinity, Ruffian, Saber etc for Halo, if you're on a big project/franchise I think it's something you mention

They did a good job with KI imo

Interesting to see what comes of this, a Halo Infinity or Minecraft? I'm hoping for something new personally.
I meant more that we don't know that they're gonna be making the same sorta thing they've made before lol.

If they are, though, Minecraft toys to life feels like the only real option unless it's a line wide Xbox Infinity sorta deal. Halo and Gears are (mostly) M rated franchises, which puts a lot of their potential toyability out the window, and none of their other properties have enough cachet on their own.

They do seem to be hiring for two video game dev projects

But ya I'm not excited per say, just interested, and assuming it's a game I'll be correct with my partnership comment :p

gamz

I meant more that we don't know that they're gonna be making the same sorta thing they've made before lol.

If they are, though, Minecraft toys to life feels like the only real option unless it's a line wide Xbox Infinity sorta deal. Halo and Gears are (mostly) M rated franchises, which puts a lot of their potential toyability out the window, and none of their other properties have enough cachet on their own.

Ori?

Leflus

Splash Damage rather publicly announced their support role for Gears, Certain Affinity, Ruffian, Saber etc for Halo, if you're on a big project/franchise I think it's something you mention
Gears UE and Halo TMCC were new projects, though. Maybe not the most exciting releases this gen, but still new projects.

Since they didn't announce which game they're working on, I'm going to assume that it's something new. Whether or not it's going to be an interesting game is of course up for debate.

Minecraft centric toys-to-life with guest characters from Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, Viva Pinata and Ori. Also: Clippy.

gamz

Microsoft need to be tapping into the family market, they did a good job with 360 but XB1 not so much

Like I said, don't get too excited knowing what games they work on, but it's still good to see MS (seemingly) making/supporting a family game

Yep. My kids and friends indentify with Xbox because of Minecraft.

yurinka

I've always thought they would be a great acquisition to continue work on future Scalebound games after the blueprint set by Platinum.

Yeah.
Ninja Theory would be a good get, though it seems like they are tight with Sony so who knows. Like you said, though, they're a pretty big company with a lot of projects in development so they've gotta be working with a big publisher on something.

Ready at Dawn could make for a good partner, too.

Ninja Theory made Hellblade because they wanted to have creative freedom to make their own games. They won't sell the company to MS at all unless they have no choice. But they also mentioned that will continue working with some publishers (they need to eat and pay bills), stating as an example that they enjoyed working with Capcom in DmC.

NT may work in a game published and funded by MS, but it's more likely that they would choose Capcom or Sony before. They are currently working in 4 projects, btw.

Top Bottom