• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

derFeef

So I have this weird problem, that if I use the PEN, all of the "win 10 stuff" stops working. Like the start menu, onscreen prompts, notification area, it just does not open or show.

I need to soft reset then and it works for a while. this is really crappy.

Ok, first Surface product I have and I just replaced my laptop with this.

Got the SP3 with i3 (yes, not for gaming or heavy work) and it's amazing!

The Typecover is perfect.

Only flaw I can note is the low battery life. Last for....4/5 hours with regular use, would love around 10 hours.

I highly recommend it!

derFeef

Okay I think my SP3 is dying? I get the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD every know and then... Or is this a common issue currently?

plainr_

Yeah I have resetted to Win 8 and then upgraded to Win 10. Let's see if its any better otherwise I would have to send it in. Ugh... I thought of selling it and upgrading to a SB or SP4 but those have isses currently as well.

I would suggest installing fresh with a Windows 10 iso. I've done it and it has been rock solid since. No BSOD's anymore.

plainr_

Via the media creation tool? Or I could refresh the PC now, would that have the same effect? Get rid of Win 8 shadows.

I use the media creation tool to download the windows 10 pro iso but I use Rufus to make the usb installer. To boot from usb, shutdown the Surface, hold the Down Volume button and press the power button. Release the volume button as soon as you see the Surface logo.

Also, from my experience, resetting is not the same. In fact, when I did that the problems seemed to have gotten worse.

Drifters

Okay I think my SP3 is dying? I get the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD every know and then... Or is this a common issue currently?
Mine is getting this every day. I'm about ready to fucking throw my SP3 against my brick fireplace. Should've bought a mac.

derFeef

I finally did a clean install, wiped eveything, reset the partions and all. This is not helping. I might need to send it in, but I would prefer to get rid of it honestly. I can't sell it with a good conscience though... :(
I need a supplement. The problem, a colleague has the Wacom companion and it's GPU fried about two weeks in.

Thinking of getting a midrange laptop and a good tablet.

W Hudson

So I just picked up a Surface Pro 3 and am loving it so far. One small issue is that I am getting a periodic screen flicker. I'd say that once every few minutes my screen flickers (just for a split second). Its nothing too bad but I'd like to fix it if possible. I ran a google search on the issue and none of the fixes I found have worked (specifically turning off the auto brightness feature). Any help would be much appreciated.

Also any advice as a first time Surface Pro owner would be appreciated as well. Any must have apps or cool functions or any other tips, or anything else?

n64coder

So I just picked up a Surface Pro 3 and am loving it so far. One small issue is that I am getting a periodic screen flicker. I'd say that once every few minutes my screen flickers (just for a split second). Its nothing too bad but I'd like to fix it if possible. I ran a google search on the issue and none of the fixes I found have worked (specifically turning off the auto brightness feature). Any help would be much appreciated.

Also any advice as a first time Surface Pro owner would be appreciated as well. Any must have apps or cool functions or any other tips, or anything else?

Did you buy it used or new? Is it running Windows 10?

The only suggestion I have would be to take it to the Microsoft Store if you have one nearby.

W Hudson

Did you buy it used or new? Is it running Windows 10?

The only suggestion I have would be to take it to the Microsoft Store if you have one nearby.

Bought it new from Amazon and its running Windows 10. I don't have a Microsoft Store anywhere close and I think I'm just going to go ahead and return it and get it a new one. Can't really think of any reason not to at this point.

derFeef

I finally did a clean install, wiped eveything, reset the partions and all. This is not helping. I might need to send it in, but I would prefer to get rid of it honestly. I can't sell it with a good conscience though... :(
I need a supplement. The problem, a colleague has the Wacom companion and it's GPU fried about two weeks in.

Thinking of getting a midrange laptop and a good tablet.

Aaaand another problem. The fan is sounding all weird, like it's mechanically faulty or touching some kind of metal. Uggghhh...

plainr_

Aaaand another problem. The fan is sounding all weird, like it's mechanically faulty or touching some kind of metal. Uggghhh...

Damn, that sucks. Head on over to your nearest MS Store. They do replacements on the spot if you are still under warranty. Who knows, they might even give you an SP4 with how little refurb SP3's there are right now.

derFeef

Damn, that sucks. Head on over to your nearest MS Store. They do replacements on the spot if you are still under warranty. Who knows, they might even give you an SP4 with how little refurb SP3's there are right now.

No MS store here where I am. I need to send it in directly to MS I guess, I bought it at a big electronics retailer. Hopefully that process is not painful and slow :/

SerTapTap

Type cover 3 finally died on me (LEDs work when plugged in, no input to the surface though). Ordered a type cover 4 since it seems to be about the best aspect of the Surface 4 experience...hoping it makes waiting for an upgrade easier. And also hope the keyboard is broke not the port.

Getting a kernel power error every month. It happens sometimes after i keep it locked for a while. The surface wont come out of rest after i click the unlock button and then i have to hold the power button to start back up again. Its not too bad, its only happened three times after the four months i've had this replacement, but this is my fourth surface pro and my warranty ran out. My other three died due to battery related issues, and one of them started in a similar way. It had this same issue but it kept getting more and more frequent until one day it just never turned on. I really hope that doesn't happen and this lasts a long time despite the occasional hiccup, because if this does die it will be my final surface pro ever as i simply can't trust the brand anymore after being burned potentially four times in a row. I really love this device and its fantastic for my art, so this whole situation is really frustrating. I don't really know of any other device that can replace this while still having the same super portable form factor. (I do 3D work so the ipad pro wont work as it doesn't have maya, mudbox, or the full photoshop and i dont really want to take the time to learn any inferior replacements if the app store has any)

KdMgMan

lately my surface pro been getting really hot. task manager is showing that window explorer is using 90% of the cpu then it goes away quickly. anybody having or had a similar issue? btw i'm still on windows 8.1

Seanbob11

Has anyone had a problem with draining battery when in sleep mode? I feel like my battery will drain from full within a day even when it's never been used in between.

Guys, I'm able to get any Surface product at half off from my job. Should I get a Surface Pro 4 (i5/8GB RAM) or a Surface Book (i5/8GB RAM/no dGPU)? I'm leaning towards the Surface Book because it includes the keyboard, and is only $100 more, but it also seems like the Surface Book has several technical problems.

Top Bottom