• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd definitely wait since it's only a matter of weeks. No one really knows what the improvements will be, but faster and quieter and cooler running are my guesses. Many other parts of the machine are already perfect.

Just wait. At the very least I'd expect it to run faster and cooler.

Plus if you find the improvements aren't significant you'll likely be able to get a SP3 at a cheaper price than now.

Are we sure about cooler? The new skylakes are still 15W like the sp3 ones were, so the thermal potential is the same. So possibly faster and longer battery, but similar thermal issues. Or because they've updated the integrated GPU, it might remain cooler for CPU focused tasks.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Are we sure about cooler? The new skylakes are still 15W like the sp3 ones were, so the thermal potential is the same. So possibly faster and longer battery, but similar thermal issues. Or because they've updated the integrated GPU, it might remain cooler for CPU focused tasks.

IMO it was one of the top problems with the SP3, so it *has* to be better in SP4. Ideally that doesn't mean throttling the power to keep it running low.

Apple's type cover solution is surprisingly clunky and not well designed at all.

0HcXYN0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjvfzUujRDk

I really can't see how it can compete with the Surface Pro on an enterprise level at this point, without a 3rd party keyboard. That's not what I expected at all.

That doesn't mean it won't be successful, of course.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, it's really weird that this is the best they could come up with.

I also find it strange that the keyboard doesn't have a trackpad.

Any tips on keeping the battery from dying with the surface pro 3? I'm getting a free replacement since the battery just died on my previous one but I want to make sure I can prevent this from happening in the future. The guy at the Microsoft store said you shouldn't have it charging for too long cause if its at 100% for too long there's a chance it could over charge the battery and fry it or something.

Should I just turn it off instead when I'm not using it instead of keeping it plugged in all day? What I've been doing before is keeping it plugged in all the time and taking it off the plug when I'm using it. But one day the battery just stopped working. If you guys could provide any help that would be great.

Yeah, I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with that keyboard. I said it in the iPad Pro OT: almost three years after the Surface and all they could come up with was a keyboard that folds. Almost every single criticism lobbed at the Surface 1 kickstand is applicable.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with that keyboard. I said it in the iPad Pro OT: almost three years after the Surface and all they could come up with was a keyboard that folds. Almost every single criticism lobbed at the Surface 1 kickstand is applicable.

Verge score for the iPad Pro, 9.5

maeh2k

The iPad probably won't be held to the same standards. It will be seen more as a tablet than as a tablet/laptop hybrid. Reviewers won't as much hold it up against a laptop and bitch about lappability.

Really baffled at the iPad Pro. Mediocre and overpriced accessories for what is just a huge iPad, I have no idea what the target audience is for that thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They already introduced a styles. A mouse and courser on an iPad would have been too much

The stylus is nice but they should properly support different modes of operation.

They already introduce a 'mouse pointer' with the two finger swipe on the keyboard. It would be easy to at least add mouse support. Constantly having to lean forward to touch an icon while you're typing would be annoying.

Meffer

Spilled water on my keyboard last night while I was using my SP1 so of course the keyboard got borked. Ordered one today and it should be coming in on Tuesday. At least the Type Cover 2 is cheaper now than before ($75).

"Dell Active Stylus" -> "one click to OneNote"

Yeah, at this point it has to be a partner effort. HP is probably next.

I'm honestly really glad about that. It gives us some competition in the market and I'm curious to see how the pens compare to each other. If the Dell stylus is anything like the one for the Venue 8 Pro, then it's an instant avoid.

Futureman

SP3 i3 version is $650 at Best Buy today.

Decent little deal. Definitely useable if you are just doing basic stuff like web/email/Office.

Futureman

BTW... I downloaded Manga Studio 5EX trial version last night as everyone seems to say it's so much better for comics/illustration than Photoshop.

The lag is pretty bad when drawing on my i5 SP3. Like very noticeable when make fast pen strokes, the cursor is just way behind where I'm drawing compared to Photoshop.

BTW... I downloaded Manga Studio 5EX trial version last night as everyone seems to say it's so much better for comics/illustration than Photoshop.

The lag is pretty bad when drawing on my i5 SP3. Like very noticeable when make fast pen strokes, the cursor is just way behind where I'm drawing compared to Photoshop.

Your post reminds me, and I know it's not representative for all SP3s, how janky the device can be, according to user reports. It seems to have lots of issues with drivers for WiFi and the pen.

I really, really hope they nailed the experience with the SP4 and it doesn't require 3 FW updates to get somewhat stable WiFi. I can't blame people for picking the iPad Pro over the Surface, because they don't want to deal with Windows.

The Wifi problem is not really a Windows issue, though.

It's a Surface issue (that I luckily never had).

It might not be a Windows issue per se, but it's definitely part of the charm, as they say. It just adds to the stigma that Windows can be super janky.

Then again, of course it's Apple users who say that.

hwalker84

Microsoft needs to get a firmware update for the Pro 3 with Windows 10. I like a lot about Windows 10 but Edge absolutely destroys the battery. The device get's super hot then starts downclocking to cool itself off. When that happens even youtube starts pausing.

Also they need to fix the fact that you cannot change the default keyboard when you're using a pen. Handwriting every letter is not faster than just tapping the keys.

szaromir

Banned
I'm very happy about competition appearing all of a sudden. I would really like to buy a Surface Pro-like device two weeks from now, but it seems a little bit of patience will reap great benefits.

n64coder

Don't mention the Venue 8 Pro.

I'm still bitter about that one.

What's up with the Venue 8 Pro?

I currently have an iPad 2 and am looking to replace it with a faster table. I already have the SP3 which I enjoy using but I want a dedicated tablet that is about the same size. I find the SP3 to be too large/heavy for bedtime reading and stuff like that.

I thought I would be checking out the Venue 8 Pro since I've heard good things about it. I might also stick with iPad Air 2 so I can still have access for the iOS ecosystem

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My Venue 8 Pro is a total lemon.

Battery performance went to the dogs really fast, the keyboard was never released over here and pen support is crap. Also, my unit came with a defective digitizer and since I bought it from an American gaffer I couldn't service it in Europe.

Shit deal all around.

Got an iPad Air 2 not so long ago and it's working far better for me, specially since its desktop performance is nothing to rave about (I thought it could replace my laptop... how mistaken I was).

Klocker

Microsoft needs to get a firmware update for the Pro 3 with Windows 10. I like a lot about Windows 10 but Edge absolutely destroys the battery. The device get's super hot then starts downclocking to cool itself off. When that happens even youtube starts pausing.

Also they need to fix the fact that you cannot change the default keyboard when you're using a pen. Handwriting every letter is not faster than just tapping the keys.

Regarding pen keyboard.. Have you tried flipping pen away and tapping where you want to type with a finger instead of pen? It brings up the type board. It's tough to create the habit but I'm getting used to it

But yes an option for default keyboard regardless of input device would be nice

Futureman

Windows 10 was weird on my SP3 at first but now seems fine... I'm not sure what "fixed" it... it may have been an update that was pushed that I didn't even realize installed? I dunno. Touch was totally unusable for the first few days.

hadareud

The Translator
Almost certainly.

I did a reset on my SP3 after it started running hot consistently and the problem went away.

Which reminds me that the decision to not back up and restore the start screen in W10 (unlike W8 and unlike W10 Mobile) is really stupid/annoying.

derFeef

Almost certainly.

I did a reset on my SP3 after it started running hot consistently and the problem went away.

Which reminds me that the decision to not back up and restore the start screen in W10 (unlike W8 and unlike W10 Mobile) is really stupid/annoying.

Yup, really annoying. I installed W10 freshly after the preview build hiccups. Device feels smoother too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you get replacement pen loops from MS? We've only had our SP3 for a couple of months and it just keeps falling off now. Why they give you a sticky pad to stick on a fluffy case I have no idea - they should have just built the loop into the case as standard

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there a way to restore to a windows 10 environment, or do you have to reset to 8.1 and then upgrade? I just tried doing a reset 'delete all files and settings' and it said it couldn't find the restore information

derFeef

is there a way to restore to a windows 10 environment, or do you have to reset to 8.1 and then upgrade? I just tried doing a reset 'delete all files and settings' and it said it couldn't find the restore information

I used the upgrade tool. But you will have to DL the installation of course.

ElNino

It might not be a Windows issue per se, but it's definitely part of the charm, as they say. It just adds to the stigma that Windows can be super janky.

Then again, of course it's Apple users who say that.
Sure, and the WiFi on my wife's (kid's) iPad is terrible as well. Half the time it won't connect and I need to reboot, not to mention the sounds/speakers not working for half the games/apps as well.

Is it an iOS problem, or simply the iPad? I guess it doesn't really matter, but at least I don't need to deal with it much.

kazinova

Every person I see with an iPad Pro will be another moment to ask how the Steam client runs or "how many FPS does it get playing League (DOTA, Skyrim, Crysis, etc.)?".

I'm not actually going to say anything to anyone, but in my mind I'm going to be such a cocky prick.

szaromir

Banned
Every person I see with an iPad Pro will be another moment to ask how the Steam client runs or "how many FPS does it get playing League (DOTA, Skyrim, Crysis, etc.)?".

I'm not actually going to say anything to anyone, but in my mind I'm going to be such a cocky prick.

As someone who's more likely to buy a SP4 over an iPad Pro, I don't think I would miss much in terms of games going with the iPad. Playing desktop games on a 12' screen must be a torture.

Top Bottom