• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft teases for E3 with countdown: "And it's on..."

Alx

I hope Kinect doesn't become a required thing, I don't have nearly enough space in my room to use that.

Kinect is not only about full body tracking, it also has interesting features in user detection, face identification and tracking, voice recognition etc.
And even if kinect features become a requirement for developers, there's no chance it would be a requirement to play the game. MS is obviously aware that not all the users will have/want specific environment to play their games.
Just like voice chat compatibility may be a requirement for all games, but not all gamers have an internet connection to use it.

donkey+kong.jpg
???

anyway really hyped for E3 this year its going to be very very interesting.

Oh god, let's do this.

I'm disappointed/surprised by no pre-event reveal though... this will be the most fucking intensely awesome E3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am saying...MS isn't alone in bed this time and there is more to crow about:) As I said in the other thread in the past couple days. This is the beginning of the "ballz out" mentality I posted being informed of 3-4 weeks ago and when I said that we would be seeing "partners" begin leaking and stating specific things. Like the AMD stuff a couple weeks ago and todays 2 announcements(or hints of things to come). Both of which the person I talk to has been right on about day and date as well as the AMD slide and hardware specifics(which will leak sooner rather than later)

I don't care if they are partners with AMD. They have to partner with someone for the tech.

And I'm somewhat concerned about possible partnering with content providers or cable companies. That might offer a great experience for cable consumers in the US, but could leave everyone else in the world with a less satisfying experience.

Although having more investment again for internal IP is good news if true. I just hope they keep at going beyond the first year or so.

I like the idea of dominating the living room using core gamers first. I would think that core gamers are likely to adopt Internet based media services earlier and be interested in combining with existing systems in the house (eg cable), and then spread the word to the mainstream, as its new tech adoption.

derFeef

no way. this was promoted yesterday right after the countdown was posted.

I guess I just don't see where it's leading up to.

phil harrison now works for microsoft, so i guess he could host a large part of the presser.

That would be so great, but I doubt it. I don't have any problems with Mattrick but a bit of a change would be cool to me.

S1kkZ

That would be so great, but I doubt it. I don't have any problems with Mattrick but a bit of a change would be cool to me.

mattrick may be a nice guy, but he doesnt belong on stage. i dont really like harrison, but no doubt he would do a much better job.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Overlay/HDMi passthrough could be huge. Never mind TVii and switching inputs, with HDM passthrough you don't need to switch inputs - the 720 is already on the same input as your cable TV. Plus you can get notifications while watching a show and do all the crazy combined searching like google TV.

Pooya

Panos Panay from Surface team is the only person I've seen from Microsoft events that can really talk well and present a product convincingly, the rest were either fake or bad to very bad speakers. Xbox briefings have all been pretty terrible, not even Moore was good, E3 presentations in general are pretty poor if you compare them with other tech events outside of gaming.

saladine1

If MS do indeed have a next gen showcase going on, I want the announcement to be big.

All I know is, they need to feature DUBSTEP-BRO music, semi naked girls wearing pink cowboy hats and monkeys riding mini bicycles. Yeah, that would show the world that our hobby is serious business..

shitjustgotreal.gof

Cant wait.

Not really a fan of Microsoft's way of doing things but I dont exactly have faith in Sony or Nintendo paying for a lot of exclusives like I am expecting MS to do. If they get the games I might have to get the box.

shitjustgotreal.gof

Cant wait.

Not really a fan of Microsoft's way of doing things but I dont exactly have faith in Sony or Nintendo paying for a lot of exclusives like I am expecting MS to do. If they get the games I might have to get the box.

how realistic is it that microsoft will pay for third party exclusives? especially if they launch in the same time frame as sony and the ps4.

V_Ben

Banned
Oh shit. Let's do this. I'm more interested in the games than the hardware, but I really hope there isn't too strong a Kinect 2 focus.

If the PS4 doesn't launch in time, it might as well be a timed exclusive.

this is what I was thinking. it's much more likely to be exclusive by default rather than paid exclusivity.

still, it would be nice if microsoft opened their vaults and resurrected some of rare's old ips or even their own. rallisport challenge is long overdue for a hd remake, midtown madness 4? a new links? blast corps hd. so many ips just left wasting in the vault. :/

very likely. ms always opens the wallet at the beginning of a new gen.

this is also true. I remember a number of exclusives at the start of this gen. dead rising, saints row 1, etc.

still, I'd much prefer they spend that money resurrecting or farming out their ips to other developers. a new crackdown at release would be very nice.

eso76

A bundled kinect could be a good thing.
A lot of games could still be played with a controller and detect gestures for smaller things, i'm always bringing a couple examples like:

Forza 5: playing with a wheel your hands will be displayed in cockpit view mimicking your actual hands placement and animation.
That would solve animation issues (game could finally show you turning the wheel lock to lock, correctly display when you take one hand off the wheel to shift gears etc) and even allow for nice hand/arm gestures when you overtake an opponent :p

Halo 5 or fps in general: when you take your hand off the controller your arm is tracked, which allows you to communicate with people in your team through gestures or mock your opponents. Or launch grenades the way you want: throw them in every direction, distance, elevation. Make them roll on the ground, or simply drop them at the opponent's feet and run away. Throw a grenade behind your shoulders when you're being chased without turning.

In general, the controller should have some very simple sensor to detect when you're holding it with both hands, with just one hand (left or right) or you've dropped it altogether; when you take one hand off the controller, your character 'exits' its default 'pose' and your arm starts being tracked instead

That would work for most FPS, being able to move both arms in front of you and use them in different ways.
In Far Cry 3 you'd take your hand off your gun (or won't if it's just pistol or anything you can operate with a single hand) to make your way through the foliage, move leaves blocking your sight.
Or waving your hand in front of you to make flies and insects go away :p
Even better if, in addition to sensors, the controller was made of two detachable parts you can easily link and unlink during gameplay; that would allow you to use gesture to a degree without having to take your hand off the controller and your thumb off the left stick; like using your left hand to move a curtain in front of you and shoot with your right hand.

Also, full head tracking for fps. If it's responsive enough and combined with 3d that would enhance the experience tremendously. Moving your head and body and seeing the pov changing accordingly would be amazing, finally being able to lean on corners etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw (skip to 2'50")

attempts at this with kinect 1.0 were too unresponsive and not accurate enough (FM4 autovista) to work, but maybe kinect 2.0 will make this possible.

eso76

The lights dim.

Phil Harrison gets on stage and announces Final Fantasy Versus XIII for the 720

The Internet goes crazy.

People stopped caring 5 years ago :D
i can't think of any betrayalton that would shock the internet at this point.

Well, Polyphony going multiplatform, but that's not happening.

Also, weren't we supposed to get new infos before E3 ? :(

ekim

A bundled kinect could be a good thing.
A lot of games could still be played with a controller and detect gestures for smaller things, i'm always bringing a couple examples like:

Forza 5: playing with a wheel your hands will be displayed in cockpit view mimicking your actual hands placement and animation.

That would solve animation issues (game could finally show you turning the wheel lock to lock, correctly display when you take one hand off the wheel to shift gears etc) and even allow for nice hand/arm gestures when you overtake an opponent :p

Halo 5 or fps in general: when you take your hand off the controller your arm is tracked, which allows you to communicate with people in your team through gestures or mock your opponents. Or launch grenades the way you want: throw them in every direction, distance, elevation. Make them roll on the ground, or simply drop them at the opponent's feet and run away. Throw a grenade behind your shoulders when you're being chased without turning.

In general, the controller should have some very simple sensor to detect when you're holding it with both hands, with just one hand (left or right) or you've dropped it altogether; when you take one hand off the controller, your character 'exits' its default 'pose' and your arm starts being tracked instead

That would work for most FPS, being able to move both arms in front of you and use them in different ways.
In Far Cry 3 you'd take your hand off your gun (or won't if it's just pistol or anything you can operate with a single hand) to make your way through the foliage, move leaves blocking your sight.
Or waving your hand in front of you to make flies and insects go away :p
Even better if, in addition to sensors, the controller was made of two detachable parts you can easily link and unlink during gameplay; that would allow you to use gesture to a degree without having to take your hand off the controller and your thumb off the left stick; like using your left hand to move a curtain in front of you and shoot with your right hand.

Also, full head tracking for fps. If it's responsive enough and combined with 3d that would enhance the experience tremendously. Moving your head and body and seeing the pov changing accordingly would be amazing, finally being able to lean on corners etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw (skip to 2'50")

attempts at this with kinect 1.0 were too unresponsive and not accurate enough (FM4 autovista) to work, but maybe kinect 2.0 will make this possible.

And how would you control throttle and break?

how realistic is it that microsoft will pay for third party exclusives? especially if they launch in the same time frame as sony and the ps4.

I think MS will try everything to push sony out of the market this generation.

Now that the xbox has proven it self MS will do the next logical step in the cycle and start tossing crazy amounts of money around to screw competitors.

Its the Microsoft way.

On the top of my list I expect next gen COD to be exclusive for at least the first year and a big exclusive from a japanese publisher. Maybe they get Monster Hunter.

Microsoft have the crash to spend a few hundred million securing exclusives if they think it will do huge damage to the competition. see every product they have made over the last 30 years that has had major competition as a example.

derFeef

This stuff is always cool, but I just don't see the use in games that much. Same with HT in Forza 4... who turns the head left and right that way? If even it should track the eyes, but of course this does not work in videogames since your fov is fixed. A combination of both somehow could be a good compromise, but still weird.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It's going to be amazing. I can foresee being either blown away or totally disappointed ( as you do... on the internet ) by this year's e3.

Hopefully it won't be filled with a bunch of BS CG-target renders highlightreels.

eso76

that's why i said "when playing with a wheel" :p
wheel and pedals, of course, can't see it working with a controller.

This stuff is always cool, but I just don't see the use in games that much. Same with HT in Forza 4... who turns the head left and right that way? If even it should track the eyes, but of course this does not work in videogames since your fov is fixed. A combination of both somehow could be a good compromise, but still weird.

i find head tracking very useful when using the fanatec wheel, actually, but FULL head tracking would be glorious.
Instead of just triggering 'rotating view' left or right, full head tracking would be subtler, would follow all your head movements (leaning, lowering, rising your pov) greatly improving sense of depth and immersion.

The point i think is not 'trying to find a way to use it ingame'. It shouldn't feel like a gimmick, I think it should just always be there in every first person game (and third person, why not) and not interfere with gameplay in any way, just for the added sense of depth.
Of course it would have to be VERY precise and responsive for it to feel completely natural and just blend in the game without feeling like a tacked on thing. Who knows if Kinect 2.0 is able to do that.

just waiting on that Oculus Rift :p

adelante

I think it would be useful for tactical fps, say you take cover behind a wall by holding the left trigger (which locks you in position to said cover); with LT held down, all you need to do is lean ever so slightly to look around the corner, and then use the right stick, which controls your reticule, to target locations or enemies for your squad.

Pikma

Banned
150 days left before they announce Joy Ride 2, yay...

GAF overhyping themselves again.

Just kidding :p if they rethink their Live Gold service and pricing, I'm totally in!

Recall

Every year it's the same. People imagine impossible situations and game announcements and every year they complain when E3 didn't blow them away. Lower your expectations, curb the over the top spectacle and you will be fine.

Dabanton

I'm excited because due to the extended gen both MS and Sony have no doubt had enough time to make sure this will be a gen that launches with games that take advantage of the new machines straight away so no up ports or rushed games.

I also expect third parties will become a lot more loose lipped this year. I expect the first major leak to come from Ubisoft they can't help themselves.

Persona86

Banned

With your head of course.

Anyway MS is going to have to do a lot to impress me this time, (which I have a feeling they will somehow) I had very bad experiences with the whole RROD chaos.

Top Bottom