• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft teases for E3 with countdown: "And it's on..."

Miles X

I have very little doubt that MS will come out swinging games wise with the 720 launch/launch window/first year. It's what happens 2 years later where the doubts kick in.

2 years later? No. 2010 had Crackdown 2, Alan Wake, Halo Reach, Splinter Cell Conviction and Fable 3 for exclusives (as well as ME2 for a year), was pretty solid. It was 2011 onwards it kinda went downhill.

Haunted

I like the idea of Kinect, partly. Voice controls that really work without a hitch wirelessly (and without a headset) would be nice, for example. User recognition is also snazzy.

But 1) they're all broken as fuck in the current iteration and 2) anywhere where it's been used for gameplay, it was pretty much shit (or something that doesn't interest me (dance games, casual ios ports))

This is me being in the bargaining phase. If it's in the box, it's in the box.

This would have been a big deal like, 4 years ago.
srsly

Big western exclusives could break the internet (next Call of Duty or something). Japanese third party games simply don't have the brand power they used to.

GAF will trololol anyway. :p

Haunted

I'm already ironing my poncho for the unveiling.
nybgogrrapj.jpg

gaming_noob

It's the brand fanatic in everyone of us.

I should step into a PS4 thread to let others know I'm not touching that console with a ten foot pole too then. (note: I am planning to get both).

2 years later? No. 2010 had Crackdown 2, Alan Wake, Halo Reach, Splinter Cell Conviction and Fable 3 for exclusives (as well as ME2 for a year), was pretty solid. It was 2011 onwards it kinda went downhill.

Kinect took over a lot of their resources in 2010 onwards. Good thing customers are voting with their money and not buying software for that POS.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm pretty excited to see what Microsoft has in store for the 720.

Really hope they have some great new titles ready aside from the same familiar faces I've grown tired of seeing on the 360. I don't want the third parties to be the stars of the show for the 720 launch, but I'd imagine Microsoft will be looking to secure a big third party exclusive or two.

Going to predict right now that Battlefield 4 will be one of the biggest hits of the launch.

Miles X

I should step into a PS4 thread to let others know I'm not touching that console with a ten foot pole too then. (note: I am planning to get both).

Kinect took over a lot of their resources in 2010 onwards. Good thing customers are voting with their money and not buying software for that POS.

It's not a POS, it's just not had nearly enough decent sw out for it, that's why it hasn't been selling. If done right Kinect could be awesome. Halo Wars and Viva Pinata would translate very well for instance.

Sadist

Will it start or end with CoD?

Joking! I suppose the new Xbox will be the allround media device Kinectbox, it will be interesting. And they'll push the new Activision IP from Bungie as the launchtitle to get ;)

GeoramA

I'm already ironing my poncho for the unveiling.
lolol I forgot that this actually happened. My mental block of anything Kinect has been a success.

Really interested if MS will have an answer to PS+ or Gaikai, two things that will probably be the driving forces behind the PS4.

edit: damn it's nice to be talking about next-gen already.

Alx

We're gonna get a bunch of new casual Kinect IPs for next gen aren't we :(

You'de be really short-sighted to believe that. There's a time to focus on "hardcore" games and a time to focus on "casual" games in the lifetime of a console, especially an expensive one.
Nobody will buy a $400 console for a game like Kinect Sports ; you need to focus on your prime public at launch (which probably means "lots of shooters", though). Unless the 720 is cheap (like the Wii was at launch), MS won't try to appeal massively to the "casual" crowd until a few years, like they did for the 360 with kinect (or Sony with eyetoy and buzz on PS2, or Move on PS3). Which doesn't mean that there won't be any party-game near launch, but they probably won't be an important part of the library.

RPGamer92

Banned
You'de be really short-sighted to believe that. There's a time to focus on "hardcore" games and a time to focus on "casual" games in the lifetime of a console, especially an expensive one.
Nobody will buy a $400 console for a game like Kinect Sports ; you need to focus on your prime public at launch (which probably means "lots of shooters", though). Unless the 720 is cheap (like the Wii was at launch), MS won't try to appeal massively to the "casual" crowd until a few years, like they did for the 360 with kinect (or Sony with eyetoy and buzz on PS2, or Move on PS3). Which doesn't mean that there won't be any party-game near launch, but they probably won't be an important part of the library.
I was mostly kidding, I'm sure we're gonna get plenty of new core IP since we'll be the ones mostly buying Durango in its first 2 years.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
A 6 month countdown? Damn, they're really taking it to a new level huh.

Well, it'll be interesting to see what the system looks like, what games they'll announce, and how Sony will react. I will obviously not be buying it until they iron out the inevitable RROD or other hardware deficiencies the console will ship with.

Miles X

Well, it'll be interesting to see what the system looks like, what games they'll announce, and how Sony will react. I will obviously not be buying it until they iron out the inevitable RROD or other hardware deficiencies the console will ship with.

Ugh, go educate yourself! The likelyhood of that happening again are slim.

Leflus

I'm going to take my chances if the launch lineup is good. My first 360 lasted roughly 4 years before it bit the bullet, but I guess I was one of the more "lucky" ones.

Still, anything close to the failure rate of the first versions of the 360 is unacceptable. I doubt that MS would be stupid enough to repeat the mistake though.

2 years later? No. 2010 had Crackdown 2, Alan Wake, Halo Reach, Splinter Cell Conviction and Fable 3 for exclusives (as well as ME2 for a year), was pretty solid. It was 2011 onwards it kinda went XBLA.

Fixed. But even ignoring the amazing XBLA line-up (which is something that we shouldn't be doing), I think the last two years were rather decent, with Gears 3, Halo Anniversary, Forza 4, The Gunstringer and Dance Central 2 in 2011, and Horizon, Halo 4, Dance Central 3 and the console version of The Witcher 2 in 2012. Together with XBLA, there have been far more interesting exclusives than I can afford to play.

Good Kinect games can sell well. The Kinect Sports franchise is over 6 million already, while Dance Central is over 3 million, perhaps more.

Alx

Ugh, go educate yourself! The likelyhood of that happening again are slim.

I suppose most of us will remain cautious about hardware reliability, but it is indeed very probable that MS will make sure to avoid that trap next gen. They usually learn from their mistakes and try not do them again ; like off-the-shelves components on Xbox1 preventing them from reducing prices, or lack of exclusives from japanese studios... both were specifically corrected for the 360.
They will probably make mistakes next gen, but it'll be new ones.

Subitai

It's on...for GAF to get angry that MS won't focus more on wasting money financing niche hardcore titles that don't even break even like Sony. They did that until about halfway through this generation and basically thought, "All they're buying is Halo, Gears, Fable, and CoD, so that's all we'll focus on giving them." MS takes much less costly risks innovating on XBL titles. Sad thing is Sony hasn't figured this out and so they probably won't be around by the end of this generation if current trends continue as they are. And Gaf will be even more irate.

The_Monk

These things always give me a decent amount of Hype. But I must admit, I'm way more curious about what's Sony will show us.

New consoles kind of level....

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I converted the PDF to a PNG, for easier access:

The filing was published on the USPTO's website on the 25th of August, 2011, so it's nothing new really. The USPTO filing reads:

Architecture that combines multiple depth cameras and multiple projectors to cover a specified space (e.g., a room). The cameras and projectors are calibrated, allowing the development of a multi-dimensional (e.g., 3D) model of the objects in the space, as well as the ability to project graphics in a controlled fashion on the same objects. The architecture incorporates the depth data from all depth cameras, as well as color information, into a unified multi-dimensional model in combination with calibrated projectors. In order to provide visual continuity when transferring objects between different locations in the space, the user's body can provide a canvas on which to project this interaction. As the user moves body parts in the space, without any other object, the body parts can serve as temporary "screens" for "in-transit" data.

Source: http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...TH+CAMERAS"&RS="PROJECTORS+AND+DEPTH+CAMERAS"

mostly genuine, but let's go with sarcasm because
a) i don't want this topic hijacked by console creationists those not understanding the gen debate
b) you're heavy

What's your problem?

The fact that you think that post had some underlying motive to indirectly insult the Wii U by not calling it next-gen tells me a lot about you and your fanboy insecurities. I wasn't thinking about the Wii U, at all.

Top Bottom