• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will ‘show the world what’s next’ at May 23rd event in Shanghai

courier_270x202.jpg

Bring back the Courier

Courier Phone even!

Slermy

Having USB-C as your phone's charging port is great, but what's the big deal about USB-C on your laptop if it's not the charging port? I haven't seen anyone use USB-C to displayport or HDMI cables yet.

Well, if it has a USB-C port, that opens up the possibility of Thunderbolt and the external GPUs.

To this day, I would spend a ridiculous amount of money on a Courier esque device that worked as advertised and had good battery life. Not even asking for great...

Until then the iPad Pro & Apple Pencil have replaced the moleskin for me.

Surface 5? Anyone? New iPad prices for a hella nice low power device?

Surface 4 is margin wise dead in the water. By the time you put Core M with premium materials, you are way beyond your wanted price and crept up to SP4 entry level prices. Surface 3 was stuck using Atom SoC for those reasons and we don't want Atom Surface no more.

@evleaks on twitter

evleaksazus6.png

And also says in another tweet that it's now rebranded as "The Surface Pro" (dropping 4).

How reputable is Evleaks? I've heard positive things from some people but I don't want to hype myself up too much. I could also see this as just the guy trolling with the phone comment, since I feel it would be a bigger deal leak than "they're refreshing the SP4".

Streaks

Evleaks is probably the best leaker in the phone industry so I'd say it's pretty legit. Tuesday can't come soon enough now.

rrs

Surface 4 is margin wise dead in the water. By the time you put Core M with premium materials, you are way beyond your wanted price and crept up to SP4 entry level prices. Surface 3 was stuck using Atom SoC for those reasons and we don't want Atom Surface no more.
I'd love a ~10" core M device but that's happening 20never at this rate

@evleaks on twitter

evleaksazus6.png

And also says in another tweet that it's now rebranded as "The Surface Pro" (dropping 4).

How reputable is Evleaks? I've heard positive things from some people but I don't want to hype myself up too much. I could also see this as just the guy trolling with the phone comment, since I feel it would be a bigger deal leak than "they're refreshing the SP4".

Easily the most reliable when it comes to leaking mobile devices. Fuuuck at EV confirming Surface Phone for the event. In.

This train no longer stops.

Easily the most reliable when it comes to leaking mobile devices. Fuuuck at EV confirming Surface Phone for the event. In.

This train no longer stops.

I still think that he's just being a bit too casual and could easily be joking. Like he probably gets inundated every day with the same 10 people saying "where is surface phone???".

I still think that he's just being a bit too casual and could easily be joking. Like he probably gets inundated every day with the same 10 people saying "where is surface phone???".

True.

And for those asking why anyone would be excited for a "Surface Phone" take it from someone who has been invested in iOS since the jump. The idea of an "ultimate mobile device" is enticing if executed properly and Microsoft has gone on record to say they want to be part of the next paradigm shift so don't expect a traditional slab phone from the Surface team.

Kurdel

Banned
I am still bummed that we won't see x86 support any time soon, but man I want to see that in my lifetime.

I am now curious about the specs of the refresh Surface and that Surface phone (if this is true).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I owned a SP3 for about a month and enjoyed it but returned it because they were so many minor gripes about the device, mainly the absolutely horrid home "button" that I kept grazing all the time. In the market now for a new laptop and the SP is a device I get the urge to try out again now that they've presumably worked out this stuff?

How major is this refresh? Like whats the gap between the refresh and the SP4? Is the spec bump really going to be the only thing different because I guess I'll try to nab a cheap SP4 then

That new Surface Pro has same ports. So only SoC refresh. Kaby Lake and pricing is the only thing new (along with colors). They may also bring out the dual protocol pen during presentation.

As for Surface Phone, how awesome would it be if it's Win10 on ARM device? Let's say 6" 1080p screen (so UI don't get totally unusable) with Qualcomm 821 with 4GB of RAM and is pen enabled. With 32 bit legacy app support and phone essential apps on Modern UI side.

Majine

Banned
I don't know if this is technically viable, but what could make Surface Phone really cool is if they took Continuum and went further with it. A complete servicable Windows 10 with win32 apps, coming out of a phone.

I'd be into that.

I don't know if this is technically viable, but what could make Surface Phone really cool is if they took Continuum and went further with it. A complete servicable Windows 10 with win32 apps, coming out of a phone.

I'd be into that.
I just said that.

They already demo'ed Win10/32 on Qualcomm. You don't need Continuum.

That new Surface Pro has same ports. So only SoC refresh. Kaby Lake and pricing is the only thing new (along with colors). They may also bring out the dual protocol pen during presentation.

As for Surface Phone, how awesome would it be if it's Win10 on ARM device? Let's say 6" 1080p screen (so UI don't get totally unusable) with Qualcomm 821 with 4GB of RAM and is pen enabled. With 32 bit legacy app support and phone essential apps on Modern UI side.

I don't think regular win32 programs work well (like, are usable with good sized interfaces) in 90% of cases on such small devices, even with scaling enabled. What I think might be more usable is if you were basically in phone mode on the go and when you hooked it up to a screen or opened a specific app you would have access to win32 stuff. Would also help keep the power sapping stuff down to a minimum since you had to manually switch to that mode.

Brace for disappointment, I'd say. Those pictures looked identical to SP4

Te latter is not my expectation nor a realistic hope in any way, but what I would consider in the event of a blue-and-polkadot moon.

Every company has thus far proven they are very good at introducing fatal flaws into every device I could want. The transformer pro 3, for example, would have been great, except the battery life turned out to be trash.

Majine

Banned
I don't think regular win32 programs work well (like, are usable with good sized interfaces) in 90% of cases on such small devices, even with scaling enabled. What I think might be more usable is if you were basically in phone mode on the go and when you hooked it up to a screen or opened a specific app you would have access to win32 stuff. Would also help keep the power sapping stuff down to a minimum since you had to manually switch to that mode.
Yeah. If I can do light work from a phone that can take with me when I'm done, that's cool, and they would have one advantage that iOS and Android phones can't. Well, Samsung is doing it with Dex but Windows would be way more useful.

That's perfectly fine usage scenario, but you really can't sell a phone for premium price only with Windows store's worth of apps to use as phone. Things like GPD Win make do with 5.5" screen with full Windows 10 on Atom SoC so it might be something they should allow the use of Win10/32 apps in phone mode.

gamz

Tom Warren‏
Verified account

You might see some spammy blog posts about the Surface Pro, but they don't have the full details. Stay tuned :)

hmmmm..........

So this is happening right now. Why the fuck aren't MS doing a live video stream?

There is, in chinese. The Microsoft "live blog" for people in English seems to have no updates 15 minutes in, but just from a cursory look at the Chinese live stream they've announced so far that Hololens is available today in China (dev version I assume) and that Project Scorpio will come to China this year.

I think it's clear from Microsoft not caring very much that we won't get any earthshaking reveals.

There is, in chinese. The Microsoft "live blog" for people in English seems to have no updates 15 minutes in, but just from a cursory look at the Chinese live stream they've announced so far that Hololens is available today in China (dev version I assume) and that Project Scorpio will come to China this year.

I think it's clear from Microsoft not caring very much that we won't get any earthshaking reveals.

They've told US bloggers not to bother with this event. It should be clear what type of "reveals" we can expect from this.

Top Bottom