• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will be streaming the Switch version of Minecraft on April 18th

KingBroly

Banned
Microsoft has never had a problem supporting Nintendo handhelds. Didn't Viva Pinata and Blue Dragon see DS releases?

Yes, but this is Minecraft. Minecraft is everywhere, except 3DS. That'd be an accomplishment, although it'd be short-lived I feel.

So once it FINALLY came to Wii U, it was only inevitable that it'd be on Switch. But I wish it had more than the Mario pack. A Zelda pack seems kinda obvious given BotW's sales so far.

Microsoft has never had a problem supporting Nintendo handhelds. Didn't Viva Pinata and Blue Dragon see DS releases?

The Switch is a home console though.

lol

Minecraft is certainly an interesting anomaly, though. It's pretty funny to see people react to it, Microsoft and Nintendo being in the same sentence.

NimbusD

Didn't Microsoft try to buy Nintendo in Gamecube days? I read it somewhere long ago.
Lol yep. Damn people here are young. That was their strategy before making the Xbox, was to try to buy out another game company.

Ain't gonna happen. More likely would be that MS cans their game division.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do the console versions work with realms multiplayer? Don't suppose that lets you play multiplayer cross platform?

Noobcraft

Do the console versions work with realms multiplayer? Don't suppose that lets you play multiplayer cross platform?
Last I heard, Microsoft's plan is to unify the codebase for Minecraft, then open up realms for crossplay between at the very least PC and Xbox One (it's already being tested). I wouldn't know whether or not Sony or Nintendo will play along.

atbigelow

Last I heard, Microsoft's plan is to unify the codebase for Minecraft, then open up realms for crossplay between at the very least PC and Xbox One (it's already being tested). I wouldn't know whether or not Sony or Nintendo will play along.

I really wonder how they'll accomplish this, so long as the core Minecraft is written in Java. Unless them going to their custom launcher includes long-term plans to change it to native code.

Still so weird to me seeing a MS published game (this version at least) coming to Nintendo console. Wonder if they're willing to do that with any of their other titles.

Pif

Banned
I am immune to Minecraft. I've forced myself to play before but after a couple hours dropped it out of boredom.

Will never understand this fever and I feel I'm missing a great chapter in gaming.

I am immune to Minecraft. I've forced myself to play before but after a couple hours dropped it out of boredom.

Will never understand this fever and I feel I'm missing a great chapter in gaming.

I'm the same, I just don't get the game.

deadfolk

I really wonder how they'll accomplish this, so long as the core Minecraft is written in Java. Unless them going to their custom launcher includes long-term plans to change it to native code.

My guess is that this will apply only to the Windows 10 version and that the Java original will be left in the dust.

Hoping for mod and touchscreen support.

I just came here to say that if Microsoft ever bought Nintendo I'd probably die. Don't get me wrong, I loved the og Xbox back in the day, I use a Surface, I enjoyed the Zune.

But Microsoft would fail Nintendo and their fans so hard. Mario and Pokemon would pretty much be the only surviving IP published with any regularity. All the other studios would wither away on games like Kinect Adventures and Phantom Dust 3.

Then those studioa would be shuttered and we'd get our annualized Mario, Pokemon Go 2 and 3 would be celebrated, and that would be almost it. Maybe Link gets into Killer Instinct at some point too.
A hostile take-over is out of the cards so this will not happen anyways.

is this from the C team?

they know it will sell so they don't seem to mind 184 people watching with no sound and no video capture smh

Makes me wonder how far in advance did they know about the Switch.

this title could have been a launch title, I bet they knew really early

Shikoba

iJdkMv.gif

This tiny off screen is what we get to see? This is off to a weird start lol.

I don't play Minecraft anymore but I wanted to see this stream just because. What is even happening. No sound poor camera and all recorded on handheld mode. This is amazingly bad.

nubbe

Now we know why Microsoft are canceling all their game projects and closing studios...
hur hur hur
Nintendo is the firstparty now

FyreWulff

Still so weird to me seeing a MS published game (this version at least) coming to Nintendo console. Wonder if they're willing to do that with any of their other titles.

Microsoft actually released a game on the N64.

And Wipeout 64 means a Sony owned studio and IP also had a game released on a Nintendo console.

ryushe

Soooo... Are we going to see the game or nah?

Edit:
Oh great, *squints* game's looking great! /s

Man, I really don't understand Twitch..

Top Bottom