• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's E3 conference date is Monday, June 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancmc

Kind of nervous about this.

I loved the Xbox and 360 but have drifted to pc and ps3 in recent years due to the range of games and quality.

I had such hopes for this but the lack of power and the drm mess has me wondering what they can do to rescue it now.

If Sony say no drm then that's it, I won't be getting this and that's such a shame. Don't know why Mattrick chose this direction at all.

I really think they capitulated to the publishers (and I am including their own internal publishing group in this situation) pushed them into this and I wouldn't be surprised if they had direct contractual relationships related to this choice (hence the TitanFall and maybe more EA exclusives).

Cheebo

Banned
If Sony say no drm then that's it, I won't be getting this and that's such a shame. Don't know why Mattrick chose this direction at all.

I blame Ballmer, it is very Ballmer-esque to make horrible decisions like this. I mean look at how much of the online community who had 360 as their primary system have so quickly abandoned the Xbox brand and refuse to go near it no matter what now.

Don't know why Mattrick chose this direction at all.

I wouldn't pin it all on Mattrick. Xbox has always stuck out like a sore thumb with MS. MS isn't a gaming company, however it is a software and platform company. XB1 has been developed simply as a platform - like Windows - upon which software and services can be delivered. Gaming will be a part of that, but this time around the applications will be far more diverse.

I wouldn't be surprised if down the line, MS also offers apps like Office etc for XB1. Just get the XB1 wireless keyboard and mouse ;)

They want this to be an "all in one" device. And TV is only the beginning.

EDIT: Basically I don't think the 3GB of RAM has all been reserved for the XB1 of today, but for the XB1 of the future.

I really think they capitulated to the publishers (and I am including their own internal publishing group in this situation) pushed them into this and I wouldn't be surprised if they had direct contractual relationships related to this choice (hence the TitanFall and maybe more EA exclusives).

If they did, and i think you are right,and Sony did not? Then they have just colluded to kill their own brand. The publishers will ditch them and go back to Sony in a flash. Such a terrible short sighted decision.
Gutted really. Was trying to stay hopeful but the constant bad press and the negativity here and everywhere has done for me. I've given up on them I think.

I wouldn't pin it all on Mattrick. Xbox has always stuck out like a sore thumb with MS. MS isn't a gaming company, however it is a software and platform company. XB1 has been developed simply as a platform - like Windows - upon which software and services can be delivered. Gaming will be a part of that, but this time around the applications will be far more diverse.

I wouldn't be surprised if down the line, MS also offers apps like Office etc for XB1. Just get the XB1 wireless keyboard and mouse ;)

They want this to be an "all in one" device. And TV is only the beginning.

Yeah it was why Bill came into the industry really but they managed to get a really good gaming brand as a result for a while. Now they have gone backwards. Sucks.

I know I'm one of many who's shelf was full of Xbox games a few years ago and who has seen the ps3 space creep up on it, that should worry ms but they seem not to care about the customers they lost.

Maybe thy can blitz the games and blow us all away. Hope so.

Yeah it was why Bill came into the industry really but they managed to get a really good gaming brand as a result for a while. Now they have gone backwards. Sucks.

I know I'm one of many who's shelf was full of Xbox games a few years ago and who has seen the ps3 space creep up on it, that should worry ms but they seem not to care about the customers they lost.

Maybe thy can blip the games and blow us all away. Hope so.

Your last sentence is the one that counts. Xbox One is months away from release and one day away from it's first E3. If you can't wait for the former, at least give them the latter to see what they can bring.

Their E3 performances this last few years haven't been particularly inspiring (though neither have the competition's), but there seems to be a general mood of confidence that this year will be different. I'll give all three a chance and see if there's anything behind the talk, I think you should too.

Biggzy

So realistically guys what's the biggest announcement software wise that could be at the show?

I would actually like Microsoft to unveil a new RPG that would be the start of a new trilogy - kind of like what they did with Mass Effect - it would instantly get me to look forward to the new generation.

Eltros

Banned
I think a lot of the hate for XBO will die down tomorrow for two reasons. The first lots of great looking games. It will be hard to just call it the TVbox after tomorrow.

The second reason is Sony has not really made it clear what their policy changes are and I am guessing when it is finally explained in detail it will be similar to what MS is doing even if it to a lesser extent

And then there's the third option, neither of those will be a major concern for the mass audience. In fact, my money is on that one.

40% of people never connected their 360 online. I'd say a large part of the mass audience won't be ok with this. I'll be watching the conference to see if they show some cool games, but I won't buy one knowing the anti consumer policies it has.

Riky

$MSFT
Kind of nervous about this.

I loved the Xbox and 360 but have drifted to pc and ps3 in recent years due to the range of games and quality.

I had such hopes for this but the lack of power and the drm mess has me wondering what they can do to rescue it now.

Don't be nervous mate, I'm here by your side.

We'll get through this together.

Raide

Where I stand now, I am looking forward to new consoles. Some of the DRM and sharing stuff is concerning but still not enough to utterly put me off since it is all about the games for me. The TV is nice and all the other stuff is nice but if MS show me games I will want to buy then they make the choice for me.

Sony also have this chance, so if they show games I want to play, then I will buy the PS4 also but this is MS's chance to show off and convince people.

Odahviing

Banned
All I hope is that MS keeps up their promises with focusing more on Europe.

They need to have much more Europe exclusive apps!

Do you know about Indie Games? Well everyone likes them and they are cool, guess what...we never got them here in Austria.

The EU policies need to change.

F*** that, EU needs to fall apart.

Every country on their own!

Miles X

40% of people never connected their 360 online. I'd say a large part of the mass audience won't be ok with this. I'll be watching the conference to see if they show some cool games, but I won't buy one knowing the anti consumer policies it has.

Doesn't necessarily mean that 40% can't connect their 360. There are multiple reasons why a lot of them wouldn't, like many not paying for gold so not bothering to hook it up.

Internet connection only gets better the further we go along.

dancmc

Why torture yourself and just not watch

Brashnir

Obviously it's just a Microsoft cover up. They paid off all the individuals involved with their one billion dollar xbox war chest. Sure they they said it was for games, but this is a mind game right?

no, no, no. It's obviously a paid Sony shill trying to rile up the internet against MS. Turn those pitchforks around boys!

I'm not being serious, in case anyone was too dim to tell

Biggzy

Doesn't necessarily mean that 40% can't connect their 360. There are multiple reasons why a lot of them wouldn't, like many not paying for gold so not bothering to hook it up.

This and the fact that the 360 did not get built in wireless untill 2010 are the main reasons why a vast number of 360s are not hooked up to the internet I feel.

So realistically guys what's the biggest announcement software wise that could be at the show?

That is really hard to tell. Microsoft has deep pockets, it's a new gen, and they've catered to publishers (Though Sony may have as well, we don't know yet)

There have been rumblings about Fallout 4, Dragon Age 3, Mirrors Edge 2 being X1 exclusive...as well a proper Banjo sequel...I think we are going to be surprised tomorrow, whatever it ends up being.

Only 70% of PS3s have been connected to the internet so that really isn't a valid reason. I'd say many are for kids that parents don't want to give internet access to and alot of people simply don't have internet.

Why torture yourself and just not watch

I'm excited for next gen and just want to see what is capable of next gen consoles in a wide variety of game genres.

quickwhips

I really wonder if MS is going to have more conversion of XBLA big sellers on the X1. Also I want to Devil Third Game but I know that isn't happening yet. 1 vs 100 would be amazing at the show. Day 1 should be 1 vs 100 :p

Miles X

Only 70% of PS3s have been connected to the internet so that really isn't a valid reason. I'd say many are for kids that parents don't want to give internet access to and alot of people simply don't have internet.

I'm excited for next gen and just want to see what is capable of next gen consoles in a wide variety of game genres.

PS3's were sold in different ranges across different regions though so it's not the perfect comparison is it.

EagleEyes

I have a feeling when its all said and done Microsoft will change their policies abit and at least do away with the 24 hour check and make the DRM more disc based instead. I also think they will do away with the Kinect having to be plugged into the console at all times. That is my wish of course and if they do those couple of things then I can be back to fully enjoying my favorite franchises on Xbox. I'm still hyped to see the games this week that they have on offer, I just wished all this negativity wouldn't have popped up around the same time. But in the end it is Microsoft's own fault for the policies themselves and the timing of it all.

Dramos

I need a Gears of War-esque trailer for Black Tusk Studio's rumored new IP. I mentioned in another tread, that trailer gave me goosebumps.

With all this connectivity and online talk, I would like to see a similar Steam Workshop store where people could simple browse user created content from games like Forza(Luvery), Halo(Forge), Banjo(Blueprints) and whichever game and download them straight off the library without having the obligation to run a separate game. This would also include screenshots, comments, ratings... Heck Microsoft as a talented software company could also implement the DVR features they announced.

I have a feeling when its all said and done Microsoft will change their policies abit and at least do away with the 24 hour check and make the DRM more disc based instead. I also think they will do away with the Kinect having to be plugged into the console at all times. That is my wish of course and if they do those couple of things then I can be back to fully enjoying my favorite franchises on Xbox. I'm still hyped to see the games this week that they have on offer, I just wished all this negativity wouldn't have popped up around the same time. But in the end it is Microsoft's own fault for the policies themselves and the timing of it all.

Yep, they've had negative feedback on these policies since the rumors came out about them around Sony's conference or even before. They had more after the Adam Orth thing. They ignored all of that and still did it. They even went so far and to lie and say things were misconstrued by the press after Phil Harrison admitted the policies to the media earlier than they planned causing a huge backlash and they still came out with exactly what he told the press weeks before. Microsoft simply doesn't care about the consumer at this point. It's kind of like the same situation they had with the Windows 8 start menu and button. They knew well ahead of time that people wanted the windows 7 menu and button, but they tried to force metro on people so they ignored it. Even now with Windows 8.1 coming out, it's almost like they are trolling consumers because they added a button back(which was not the problem) that just takes you to Metro.

Since they decided that,it just means that 40%(or less,or more) players doesn't matter for them anymore

I think a lot of the hate for XBO will die down tomorrow for two reasons. The first lots of great looking games. It will be hard to just call it the TVbox after tomorrow.

The second reason is Sony has not really made it clear what their policy changes are and I am guessing when it is finally explained in detail it will be similar to what MS is doing even if it to a lesser extent

I agree but I really never hear about the TVbox anymore. I think everyone is smart enough to realize games are coming.

SPDIF

Yep, they've had negative feedback on these policies since the rumors came out about them around Sony's conference or even before. They had more after the Adam Orth thing. They ignored all of that and still did it. They even went so far and to lie and say things were misconstrued by the press after Phil Harrison admitted the policies to the media earlier than they planned causing a huge backlash and they still came out with exactly what he told the press weeks before. Microsoft simply doesn't care about the consumer at this point. It's kind of like the same situation they had with the Windows 8 start menu and button. They knew well ahead of time that people wanted the windows 7 menu and button, but they tried to force metro on people so they ignored it. Even now with Windows 8.1 coming out, it's almost like they are trolling consumers because they added a button back(which was not the problem) that just takes you to Metro.

This is off-topic but actually, for many people that was the problem. It wasn't so much that they hated the new start screen, it was the fact that once they had gotten to the desktop, they had no idea how to access the start menu again. No amount of telling them that the button is still there, but just hidden, or telling them to use the Windows key on their keyboard, could fix that.

So by adding the button back in, I think the average user will actually have no problem with 8.1.

Yea, the doom mongering is a bit dramatic. People will go to where the games are, and MS will bring the games.

I'm starting to doubt whether they have anything. Why would they unveil their console with Call of Duty if they had something much better to show?

Brashnir

To point one - why should I care how good the games look if I'm never going to buy them because of the business decisions surrounding them?

For the second, if Sony doesn't have good news to share on the DRM front, don't expect them to say anything at all until there's enough heat coming their way that they feel they have to. You're either going to hear good news from Sony tomorrow on that front or nothing at all.

To point one - why should I care how good the games look if I'm never going to buy them because of the business decisions surrounding them?

For the second, if Sony doesn't have good news to share on the DRM front, don't expect them to say anything at all until there's enough heat coming their way that they feel they have to. You're either going to hear good news from Sony tomorrow on that front or nothing at all.

Then why you need to care MS E3?

Montresor

Maybe because COD is a juggernaut.

Doubt it as the game is being shown today.

So what does he mean by "unveil their console with Call of Duty?"

Did he mean the reveal? The reveal didn't have a lot of games, granted, but it had Quantum Break and Forza and four EA Sports games in addition to Call of Duty.

Personally, Forza and Quantum Break was all I needed. And I'm confident they're going to bring it with awesome games this E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom