• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's E3 conference date is Monday, June 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man oh man would I love to see Fallout 4 at this.

Fallout 3 still one of my favorites from this gen. I remember the Surfergirl rumor of PS3 times exclusive.

That went boom.

I know there have beens some rumors on this, but if MS manages to pull an exclusive with this it would be another paid dividend.

Huge advantage to Microsoft. Unbelievably big. What's the advantage for Bethesda? That's why it won't ever happen.

Izick

I don't care about exclusivity, I just want to see Fallout 4. Fallout 4 with an upgraded engine from TES V, made for the next-gen consoles and PC.

The transition from Microsoft not caring about games to rampant paranoia that Microsoft are moneyhatting every game is certainly amusing.

Regardless, four days until the real bombs start going off. I really hope we don't get anymore leaks.

Is it safe to post in here if you're quietly optimistic about the Xbox One?

Don't get me wrong, if it turns out to be terrible then it I'll buy a PS4. But at this point, I'm an established 360 user looking forward -- sort of -- to the new system and it's getting really boring popping in to every Xbox thread only to be faced with snarky, nonsense posts from a bunch of people who don't even pretend to know what they're talking about.

I like to know what's going on and find out about possible issues and so on, but it's hard to find genuine posts on just about anything right now.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I don't care about exclusivity, I just want to see Fallout 4.

If Fallout 4 is X1 exclusive, then everyone at No Mutants Allowed will probably have a collective aneurysm.

Calling it, X1 and PC releases for Fallout 4. Bethesda can't be that stupid to make it console only, can they?

Don't get me wrong, if it turns out to be terrible then it I'll buy a PS4. But at this point, I'm an established 360 user looking forward -- sort of -- to the new system and it's getting really boring popping in to every Xbox thread only to be faced with snarky, nonsense posts from a bunch of people who don't even pretend to know what they're talking about.

I like to know what's going on and find out about possible issues and so on, but it's hard to find genuine posts on just about anything right now.

The only thing that's holding me back are the always-on and DRM issues. Forza 5 is really tempting, but I won't lay my money down until they clarify that shit.

I'll probably buy a PS4 eventually, and a Wii U, as well.

FrankT

Huge advantage to Microsoft. Unbelievably big. What's the advantage for Bethesda? That's why it won't ever happen.

Maybe, maybe not. You calculate the price of units sold versus costs for next gen entry on a limited console base. You also do the PC and 360 ala Titan or like most any other major deal MS brokered early on this gen.

Bsigg12

It's a partial sanctuary. From time to time we get spurts of trolls but it's pretty good in here.

Be excited though! Just a few days away from 90 minutes of gaming awesomeness.

Servbot24

Banned
I keep hearing lots of fans hoping that MS will buy up exclusive rights to franchises. A: Why would you want that, and B: Has MS ever gained exclusive rights to a franchise that did not start out on their platform?

Dai101

Banned

Sure. Jump in the Hype train. It'll be fun

I keep hearing lots of fans hoping that MS will buy up exclusive rights to franchises. A: Why would you want that

For shit and giggles. Or in chanspeak "FOR TEH LULZ"

jacobs34

Exclusivity deals for third parties make the most since at the beginning of a gen when there is a small user base and being offered guaranteed money up front ensures the company makes a profit, and depending on how much money a company is wiling to fork up, it could be a huge windfall for a studio.

Maybe, maybe not. You calculate the price of units sold versus costs for next gen entry on a limited console base. You also do the PC and 360 ala Titan or like most any other major deal MS brokered early on this gen.

If you're Bethesda, you also have to factor in the ill-will it would cause to go timed-exclusive with a franchise that's been available on other platforms. If Bethesda was struggling, I could see them taking a money hat, but they're not.

JudgeB

Banned
Not sure where these Fallout 4 ideas or hopes for exclusivity for ANY next gen platform originated, but it just doesn't sound plausible. Timed DLC again? Sure. Console exclusivity? Doubtful. I mean, what would be the draw? MS wouldn't outright get it as an exclusive, maybe timed exclusive, but still. Is there sales figures that state it did "x" times better on the 360 than PS3 sales wise? If so, that could probably just be attributed to the timed dlc. Did an insider say anything about it?

Just curious why people are thinking or hoping this is a possibility?

Izick

I'm pretty sure if Fallout 4 was coming out early next year, it'd be on the PS360 as well. Is there any next-gen exclusives yet? (ie a game that's just on the Xbox One and PS4) I mean I'm guessing there will be some at E3, but I can't think of any so far.

Not sure where these Fallout 4 ideas or hopes for exclusivity for ANY next gen platform originated, but it just doesn't sound plausible. Timed DLC again? Sure. Console exclusivity? Doubtful. I mean, what would be the draw? MS wouldn't outright get it as an exclusive, maybe timed exclusive, but still. Is there sales figures that state it did "x" times better on the 360 than PS3 sales wise? If so, that could probably just be attributed to the timed dlc. Did an insider say anything about it?

I'm not sure about hoping, but I think some people are thinking it because it's been a title that's been thrown around as a X1 exclusive for a little while now. I've always thought it was just an easy title to use, since we know it's likely coming, and it's a big name game. Not sure if there's any real credence to it.

Fallout 4 needs to happen. In some ways though, I'd kind of like a new Elder Scrolls, yes yes, too soon I know, but Oblivion was one of those "Dat next gen" moments when we first saw it.

Hopefully next gen Fable can step up in it's place.

Yeah, Fallout 4, ES6 is a pipe dream. There's absolutely nothing in it for Bethesda apart from any such deal damaging the sales of their big ticket titles.

FrankT

If you're Bethesda, you also have to factor in the ill-will it would cause to go timed-exclusive with a franchise that's been available on other platforms. If Bethesda was struggling, I could see them taking a money hat, but they're not.

They take money every year for DLC.

A limited console base at the start of a generation is a serious factor in the equation.

daebo

I keep hearing lots of fans hoping that MS will buy up exclusive rights to franchises. A: Why would you want that, and B: Has MS ever gained exclusive rights to a franchise that did not start out on their platform?

I think it's more of not wanting to be left out. The real good thing about MS and Sony each having exclusives, is that it keeps them both viable as a platform. You want to keep competition so each side drives each side harder. If one platform has more exclusives over the other will kill off the other platform. that's really not good for anybody.

I love my PS3 and Vita for niche titles I know won't be on a MS platform. Just as when I had an xbox and a 360, I loved the western flare it had. I like having different boxes for different genres/tastes.

If Fallout 4 is X1 exclusive, then everyone at No Mutants Allowed will probably have a collective aneurysm.

Calling it, X1 and PC releases for Fallout 4. Bethesda can't be that stupid to make it console only, can they?

The only thing that's holding me back are the always-on and DRM issues. Forza 5 is really tempting, but I won't lay my money down until they clarify that shit.

Fallout 4 need to have PC version since i want mods mods and mods :p

FrankT

Only thing I've seen;

Originally Posted by AznSniper:
Patrick from GiantBomb claimed that he heard Fallout 4 will be in the lineup as an exclusive deal between Bethesda and Microsoft.

Looks like Gamesradar mentions it in a piece as well today.

I'm pretty sure if Fallout 4 was coming out early next year, it'd be on the PS360 as well. Is there any next-gen exclusives yet? (ie a game that's just on the Xbox One and PS4) I mean I'm guessing there will be some at E3, but I can't think of any so far.

I'm not sure about hoping, but I think some people are thinking it because it's been a title that's been thrown around as a X1 exclusive for a little while now. I've always thought it was just an easy title to use, since we know it's likely coming, and it's a big name game. Not sure if there's any real credence to it.

Do you mean third-party exclusives?

For MS, both Forza 5 and Quantum Break are probably exclusives. It's possible that Quantum Break could come to PC though, being that it's made by Remedy, but definitely not at first, and we probably won't hear about it for a while if it ever happens.

Always online never bothered me personally because I have a 60Mbps connection and I'm always online anyway -- although my provider has been getting poor in recent months and having lengthy drop outs virtually every other day. But half the things I do on my computer and other devices are screwed if that happens, so I just find it hard to get beat up about it. When there's no internet I read or find something else to do.

DRM isn't a big issue for me either as I don't rent, buy used games and rarely borrow games. I can't remember the last time I loaned a game to a friend as I'm not as big a gamer as most of them, so they have nearly everything I buy anyway.

I get why both those issues bother other people, but neither are off putting to me.

It's a partial sanctuary. From time to time we get spurts of trolls but it's pretty good in here.

Be excited though! Just a few days away from 90 minutes of gaming awesomeness.

Sure. Jump in the Hype train. It'll be fun
With the all the above said, I'm not that big a gamer anymore. But as somebody who owns a 360 and is interested in tech in general, I like to keep up with what's happening, but all the recent threads have been a mess. So perhaps I'll just pop in her to keep up to date with what's going on.

SPDIF

Fallout 4 need to have PC version since i want mods mods and mods :p

I'm sure it will. PS4? Who knows. I'm sure it'll come eventually, but with MS seemingly doing this

CD9l.gif

to many third-parties, there could be some sort of timed exclusivity.

Izick

Do you mean third-party exclusives?

For MS, both Forza 5 and Quantum Break are probably exclusives. It's possible that Quantum Break could come to PC though, being that it's made by Remedy, but definitely not at first, and we probably won't hear about it for a while if it ever happens.

Sorry I didn't clarify, I did indeed mean third-party exclusive. Even newer announcements like The Evil Within are planned for the PS360.

LTWheels

With all the online stuff, you don't need to have that of a good connection, or for it to be that quick.

All it has to be is strong enough to connect once a day. If your internet is good enough to load up a webpage it should be good enough.

JudgeB

Banned

Fair enough, thanks for the response. Don't get me wrong, FO3 is the most fun I've had in a game in a while, so I'm ecstatic we might get a FO4 announcement at E3. Crossing my fingers, just don't believe it will be exclusive.

In regards to a game JUST being on X1/PS4 is Thief and Dying Light, although I'm sure both are also on PC so that kind of makes those points moot, lol.

Sorry I didn't clarify, I did indeed mean third-party exclusive. Even newer announcements like The Evil Within are planned for the PS360.

Yeah, I'm not aware of any then. There will probably be some revealed at the conferences on Monday.

I think most third-parties will likely either do exclusive DLC (like Destiny), or make it next-gen console exclusive, but still release PC/current-gen versions potentially. After all, the devs need to make sure they can get a good return back and make money. Unless MS or Sony is publishing and thus paying for the development, it just seems unlikely a third-party will make something only for a next-gen console.

MasLegio

Banned
With all the online stuff, you don't need to have that of a good connection, or for it to be that quick.

All it has to be is strong enough to connect once a day. If your internet is good enough to load up a webpage it should be good enough.

until the servers go down on the other side, temporarily due to breakdowns, overload etc or permanently for business reasons.

think in the long term before making such rushed judgements

Miles X

until the servers go down on the other side, temporarily due to breakdowns, overload etc or permanently for business reasons.

Unless they move out of the console business I don't see why they would close them down.

Originally Posted by AznSniper:
Patrick from GiantBomb claimed that he heard Fallout 4 will be in the lineup as an exclusive deal between Bethesda and Microsoft.

That would be a game over for anyone hoping and praying for a Microsoft crash and burn. No offensive intended to you XB1 guys, but I'd want the PC version of this. As far as consoles go though, this would be gigantic for the XB1 over the PS4. I really can't see Bethesda doing it though.

In regard to my situation it would only be an issue if I hadn't made the daily connection and my connection was a midst one of it's regular drop outs when I intended to play. But if that were the case, I'd find something else to do and get over it.

I imagine for the most part it will be a non-issue.

Karak

LTWheels

Xbox Live is currently very stable. They know how many Xbox One's are going to be produced for the launch and should be able to adjust accordingly. It's not a release of a game where far more are produced than what will be sold at launch + an unknown amount of digital sales.

Xbox Live can currently support however many millions of people that are already connected. It going to be able to support another couple of million on launch, which is a small amount.

FrankT

I wonder if Dead Rising 3 will have a PC version.

Original Dead Rising launch with a PC version? Been too long I cannot recall.

Eventually the servers will be shut down, yes. It's simply inevitable. However, it's not very likely to happen anytime soon (maybe in like 30 years?).

One of the big benefits to using the cloud to host things is that you pay for only the resources that you need. You also have 0 maintenance costs, as MS takes care of all of that for you. So if you look at how publishers shut down servers (EA, Acti, Sony, MS, etc), that's not likely to happen next-gen. Each of those publishers own their own servers. They need engineers on call all of the time to make sure the machines are running well, take them down to perform security updates, do backups, troubleshoot hardware, etc. That is why they eventually get shut down. The cost of keeping those servers you own up starts to outweigh any benefits. Plus, they only shutdown the servers when there's a tiny population of people playing, and they can get that data so they know when a good time is (if there's 5 people playing your game online, it's not worth it if it costs you let's say $600 a month to keep the servers up). Plus, the publishers want to shut those down so they can reuse the hardware for new games, which means that new game has less up-front costs since they can reuse servers (and some servers cost around $20k each for big database / stat servers).

When you move to the cloud, you already have 0 maintenance cost. MS takes care of all of that for you since it's their platform. They do the security updates, hardware troubleshooting, backups, etc, and you are never even aware of it as a developer, which is great because it's one less thing for you to manage and to pay someone to do each month.

You also pay for only the resources you use. So if you have 5 people playing your game, maybe they only need a single small server which costs peanuts to rent each month. If more players start to play your game (maybe someone is doing a Let's Play nostalgia series or whatever), then it automatically adds more servers, and when it dies down, it takes away the extra servers, so you are only paying for exactly how many resources you have. This should allow developers to just not even worry about taking their servers down. The cloud will automatically take care of the scaling down, and will charge the publisher accordingly.

should he not be working on answering more important questions?

If only he could multi-task. :) The answers will come, just give it time. There's always going to be more questions that people will want answered.

FrankT

That's quite literally nothing. They're talking about forum rumors. The same forums that said Bungie's Destiny would be a next-gen XB1 exclusive.

Yup, but not Patrick's info so much. At least how I see it now. I expect to see it whether or not there is any truth to a deal in place we shall see.

That seems like they are reporting on rumours. I guess it might be possible, they are dedicating $1b to dames after all and you can buy a heck of lot with that kind of money.

They spent $50 million on GTA DLC loan. Yea $1 billion is a big number, but how much for third parties. Should have taken that $400 million of cash down the drain for the NFL and thrown it straight at games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom