• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Microsoft's silence at CES could be the start of a tough year for the Xbox.'

Chrange

Banned
So if the 360 is doomed because Microsoft didn't reveal a bunch of new things at CES this year...what bombshells did they drop last year?

I think they talked IPTV, and that was it. Most of the time was spent talking Vista and how it would grow gaming. I guess the 360 was doomed last year too.

I don't know if my wallet could handle another 'tough year' for the 360 like that.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
ROFL... Nothing announced at C.E.S (A mostly non gaming trade event) = 360 am doomed.

rolleyes.gif

DrXym

I truly believe Microsoft / Toshiba were all set to showcase HD DVD enabled 360s (probably under a Tosh brand). But due to being kicked square in the balls by Warner they had to ditch all of that and were left with nothing to talk about.

I'd love to see their original presentation. I'm sure Bill Gates or someone will talk about it in their memoirs one day.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Himuro said:
It has tons of pick up and play games on XBLA coming out this year. I wouldn't say they're "AAA", but there's a lot to choose from.

Sure (as well as PS3 actually, more so if you also consider the PS Eye stuff), but that's stuff casual gamers hardly even know about. Packaged games are those that matter in this case IMO.

harSon

Banned
Deku said:
You seem much more optimistic here.

I really don't know. I'm not even arguing they have to announce software, I'm just agreeing that that they haven't announced anything at CES pertaining to the 360 including a hint at the platform's overall direction in 08, which as I've pointed out, wasn't questioned last week.

wait till...

They announced that IPTV is actually materializing? It's not like the competition lit up CES with their console announcements.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Router said:
ROFL... Nothing announced at C.E.S (A mostly non gaming trade event) = 360 am doomed.

rolleyes.gif

I'm getting my "No 360 announcements at Macworld=Microsoft Doomed" article ready right now!

Fredescu

Kittonwy said:
MS blew their load in 2007 with HALO3/Mass Effect/Bioshock, what do they have in 2008 that's remotely on par with those titles other than Gears 2 (whose appeal and accessibility just isn't anywhere nearly as wide as HALO3)?
Shit like Lost Planet and Kane and Lynch sold over a million. Microsoft don't need to worry about making their gun games any good, let alone on par with those three. What they need is their own Singstar.

Snah

Banned
There's a large amount of truth to this article, if only in the way they're forcasting Microsoft's 2008. Microsoft's biggest problem has always been in penetrating a global market. With the Xbox 360, they've been relatively successful in North America, but in Europe and Japan they haven't made any great strides. Despite their best efforts to appeal to Japan, the Xbox 360 simply has no future in this region, and despite a year and a half lead in Europe, they've all but squandered it since the release of the Playstation 3.

Without Halo's saving graces next year, and presently without any titles that immediately appear to be system sellers, Microsoft is going to have a rather difficult time in 2008 attracting new customers. In terms of an overall package, the PS3 is currently a better value than the 360 since Blu-Ray has won the war, the system is more reliable, and the online play is free. In terms of future lineup, the PS3 appears to be much stronger. For a person that hasn't jumped into next-gen yet, it's hard for me to recommend them a 360 over a PS3 at this point in time.

I would not be surprised to see the PS3 outsell the 360 sometime soon during the new year for NPD tracking, and certainly whenever MGS4 launches I believe this will be a given unless Microsoft drops the price. Unfortunately for Microsoft, they're stuck in limbo between the Wii and the PS3 in terms of pricing. The Wii is selling so well that they don't need to drop the price, and Microsoft wouldn't want to drop the price too far below the Wii to be perceived as being an inferior system. This, coupled with the ongoing losses they will take for fixing the nagging RROD issues, and it makes it even harder for them to drop the price.

Kittonwy

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Saying Microsoft blew their load many times doesn't make it true. No matter how many people want to believe it by continuously saying it. Right up until the release of the demo, no one as giving a shit about Bioshock. It didn't get promoted well until after the fact. Microsoft, with their promotion, took an unknown IP (Gears) and sold 5 million copies. When motivated, MS marketing can get off of their asses and do it again with an Alan Wake or any other new IP that Microsoft has waiting in the wings.

It's true whether I say it or not. Gears 2 won't be HALO 3, I'm not talking about sales, I'm talking about accessibility and fun, HALO was one of those series that was easy to get into, it's something that really draws people into the series, Gears wasn't, it was a graphical showcase and a gib fest, but it embodies none of the spirit that made HALO3 so successful, and it never will without changing the way it plays to how HALO3 plays, which it won't. Gears 2 might still be very successful but the first one had much better timing than the sequel will, the shooter landscape has changed since then. Alan Wake ain't no HALO. MS marketing can pimp whichever game they want in 2008 but the game itself won't be HALO-material. You can name-drop all you want.
Indifferent2.gif

Kuroyume

Banned
Kittonwy said:
MS blew their load in 2007 with HALO3/Mass Effect/Bioshock, what do they have in 2008 that's remotely on par with those titles other than Gears 2 (whose appeal and accessibility just isn't anywhere nearly as wide as HALO3)?

We'll see? Bioshock and Mass Effect were new series anyway. They at least have some proven successes this year like new entries to Splinter Cell, Fable, Banjo, and Gaiden coming out.

Chrange said:
So if the 360 is doomed because Microsoft didn't reveal a bunch of new things at CES this year...what bombshells did they drop last year?

I think they talked IPTV, and that was it. Most of the time was spent talking Vista and how it would grow gaming. I guess the 360 was doomed last year too.

I don't know if my wallet could handle another 'tough year' for the 360 like that.
they were doomed last year too.

as soon as custom soundtracks, in-game xmb, lair, heavenly sword, warhawk and the us version of motorstorm hit, microsoft was doomed.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Man God said:
I'm getting my "No 360 announcements at Macworld=Microsoft Doomed" article ready right now!

Hell no, Apple will announce partnership with Microsoft and the 360! Believe! :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Fredescu said:
Shit like Lost Planet and Kane and Lynch sold over a million. Microsoft don't need to worry about making their gun games any good, let alone on par with those three. What they need is their own Singstar.

It's not always sales-age you know. Just because something sells a million like K&L doesn't mean it's really adding to that game library. Will a Lost Planet 2 have the same kind of impact as the first one did? I'm not so sure about that.

evolution

Isn't it too early at least for the PS3 to be worrying about trying to capture the casual gamers attention. The price is too high atm. The 360 will have a much harder time capturing that market due to the stigma that followed the original xbox. Sony at least has some successful franchises that were on the ps2 they can bring to the ps3 when the time is right.

Deku

Banned
harSon said:
They announced that IPTV is actually materializing? It's not like the competition lit up CES with their console announcements.
:lol You crack me up man. We're not talking about the competition, we're talking about Microsoft. You can't even impeach your own 'awesome if true' post. Im sure if something was announced, you would be singing a different tune.

True believer. Well done.

Himuro said:
How are they not? Devil May Cry 4? It's on 360. GTAIV? 360. Brutal Legend? 360. MGS4 is exclusive, what other big games beside it and GT5 does ps3 have coming out this year that could sell millions? Echochrome? Infamous? You actually think those could sell millions? I'm looking forward to ps3's line up myself but don't kid yourself.

On the other hand, do casual gamers know anything about LBP? I think you're jumping the gun here.

Final Fantasy XIII

Dante

Himuro said:
How are they not? Devil May Cry 4? It's on 360. GTAIV? 360. Brutal Legend? 360. MGS4 is exclusive, what other big games beside it and GT5 does ps3 have coming out this year that could sell millions? Echochrome? Infamous? You actually think those could sell millions? I'm looking forward to ps3's line up myself but don't kid yourself.

On the other hand, do casual gamers know anything about LBP? I think you're jumping the gun here.

I'm not getting in to list wars again. And echochorome, before Resistance 2? REALLY?

Nolan.

So stupidly premature, Ces isn't a games showcase and the year has only just started. Ms has made it clear ever since TH that they are now taking the revealing of new games a lot more seriously, and doing so when they are sure. To even start the comparisons now, again is so stupidly premature.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Title should read "Tough year for Wii expected after Microsoft/Rare announce Banjo Threeie at GDC".

:D

harSon said:
You seem to be grasping onto the belief that every single Playstation 2 owner is going to make the jump to the Playstation 3?

Not necessarily, but I do believe that the line-up of games will become to compelling for most gamers to ignore (much like myself and the 360), and that 'party style' games, plus the open nature of the PS3 will sway people once the price point is right.

Kittonwy said:
It's not always sales-age you know. Just because something sells a million like K&L doesn't mean it's really adding to that game library. Will a Lost Planet 2 have the same kind of impact as the first one did? I'm not so sure about that.

Everything always comes down to sales at one point or another.

Right after Bioshock started selling well, there was talk of a sequel right away because they want to capitlize on that success.

but yeah, quality of games > sales. Uncharted sold poorly and it is one of the best games this gen so far.

Slavik81

Agent Icebeezy said:
You mean just like Resistance and Motorstorm are the two biggest sellers on the PS3? Cars and guns?
Hmm... Does this put the Wii in the awkward position of being the savour of all gaming not involving cars or guns?

harSon

Banned
Deku said:
:lol You crack me up man. We're not talking about the competition, we're talking about Microsoft. You can't even impeach your own enthusiast 'awesome if true' post.

True believer. Well done.

You're the one who is a crack up. Why is Microsoft being put on this pedestal and having unwarranted expectations at CES tacked on to it? I think it's perfectly fair to put things into perspective don't you think? But I guess you're right, being excited for an 'idea' completely overshadows anything I have to say.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Himuro said:

That's just a matter of time. I'm pretty sure they will know about it when the time is right. It's too early to push it to the casuals now isn't it? Game is scheduled for September if I'm not mistaken. What matters is that LBP is going to happen. As well as Home, another "casual" push in my eyes.

Kittonwy said:
It's true whether I say it or not. Gears 2 won't be HALO 3, I'm not talking about sales, I'm talking about accessibility and fun, HALO was one of those series that was easy to get into, it's something that really draws people into the series, Gears wasn't, it was a graphical showcase and a gib fest, but it embodies none of the spirit that made HALO3 so successful, and it never will without changing the way it plays to how HALO3 plays, which it won't. Alan Wake ain't no HALO. MS marketing can pimp whichever game they want in 2008 but the game itself won't be HALO-material. You can name-drop all you want.
Indifferent2.gif
LIVE Activity for week of 12/17
Xbox 360 Top Live Titles ( based on UU’s)
3 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 12/10
Xbox 360 Top Live Titles (UU’s)
3 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 12/3
3 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 11/26
4 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 11/19
5 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 11/12
3 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 11/5
2 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 10/29
2 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 10/15
2 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 10/8
2 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 10/1
2 Gears of War

LIVE Activity for week of 9/24
2 Gears of War

[Halo 3 Launched here]

yep, it's definitely not halo

Himuro said:
MGS4 is exclusive, what other big games beside it and GT5 does ps3 have coming out this year that could sell millions? Echochrome? Infamous? You actually think those could sell millions? I'm looking forward to ps3's line up myself but don't kid yourself.

Sony just needs to take a page from Microsoft and Nintendo (Who doesn't even show games in Wii commercials anymore) and advertise the ever living shit out of their games.

Seriously, it's all in the advertising. Well, except for Lair.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TTP said:
That's just a matter of time. I'm pretty sure they will know about it when the time is right. It's too early to push it to the casuals now isn't it? Game is scheduled for Spetember if I'm not mistaken. What matters is that LBP is going to happen. As well as Home, another "casual" push in my eyes.

The price will have to "casually" slide another 200 bones before anyone casually picks one up.

puebla

no question MS is gonna have to strike some deals with 3rd parties to try and get some more exclusives for this year, but people are fooling themselves if they think mgs4 is gonna save the ps3. i doubt mgs4 sells more units than gow2.

harSon

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It's true whether I say it or not. Gears 2 won't be HALO 3, I'm not talking about sales, I'm talking about accessibility and fun, HALO was one of those series that was easy to get into, it's something that really draws people into the series, Gears wasn't, it was a graphical showcase and a gib fest, but it embodies none of the spirit that made HALO3 so successful, and it never will without changing the way it plays to how HALO3 plays, which it won't. Gears 2 might still be very successful but the first one had much better timing than the sequel will, the shooter landscape has changed since then. Alan Wake ain't no HALO. MS marketing can pimp whichever game they want in 2008 but the game itself won't be HALO-material. You can name-drop all you want.
Indifferent2.gif

The game selling well over 4 million was just a fluke
Indifferent2.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT
Snah said:
There's a large amount of truth to this article, if only in the way they're forcasting Microsoft's 2008. Microsoft's biggest problem has always been in penetrating a global market. With the Xbox 360, they've been relatively successful in North America, but in Europe and Japan they haven't made any great strides. Despite their best efforts to appeal to Japan, the Xbox 360 simply has no future in this region, and despite a year and a half lead in Europe, they've all but squandered it since the release of the Playstation 3.

Without Halo's saving graces next year, and presently without any titles that immediately appear to be system sellers, Microsoft is going to have a rather difficult time in 2008 attracting new customers. In terms of an overall package, the PS3 is currently a better value than the 360 since Blu-Ray has won the war, the system is more reliable, and the online play is free. In terms of future lineup, the PS3 appears to be much stronger. For a person that hasn't jumped into next-gen yet, it's hard for me to recommend them a 360 over a PS3 at this point in time.

I would not be surprised to see the PS3 outsell the 360 sometime soon during the new year for NPD tracking, and certainly whenever MGS4 launches I believe this will be a given unless Microsoft drops the price.

Japan means nothing to both the PS3 and 360. The PS3 is lucky to have 2 games a week in the MC top 30 and gets its ass kicked by the Wii weekly. Japan has moved on from traditional gaming consoles. The DS is king of that market with the Wii snagging some crumbs. Once the new FF game for the PS3 is finished SQ/E will be on the DS/Wii train full force with no looking back.

So sony does better mainland Europ and the 360 does better in NA/UK. Software sales it is not even close PS3 owners don't buy that many games. While 360 owners can't get enough.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Man God said:
The price will have to "casually" slide another 200 bones before anyone casually picks one up.

You are missing the point. I'm not saying the PS3 will sell to casuals. I'm saying its lineup looks more appealing to casuals, whether they have the money to buy the system or not.

Sensationalist article to get hits.

Fact is all the casuals are buying Wii's and there aint much Microsoft or Sony can do about it for now until it loses momentum.

It seems to me that the 360 and the PS3 currently have very similar userbases, i'm sure Killzone 2 will thrash Heavenly Sword, Uncharted etc in sales.

GTAIV may make a difference as it is not on Wii but I remain unconvienced that those not yet on board Next Gen choose will buy (I assume) the more expensive PS3 to play it on.

Himuro said:
Um. There are plenty of non gun or car games for 360 and ps3 that I'm looking forward and already own. On other other hand, Nintendo has no games at all.
True, Nintendo's too busy swimming in their money to make any games. Shameful toy company. I'm excited for a truck though all of a sudden.

The Faceless Master said:
stuff[/QUOTE]
kart != car
zapper != gun

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TTP said:
You are missing the point. I'm not saying the PS3 will sell to casuals. I'm saying its lineup looks more appealing to casuals, whether they have the money to buy the system or not.

I suppose so.

MS did the same thing with VP trying to attract the kiddy gamer market, and what did they really get out of it? A game a bunch of sweaty neckbeards swear by, and the ability to say that hey, at least they tried.

quest

Not Banned from OT
SealSqueal said:
Not necessarily, but I do believe that the line-up of games will become to compelling for most gamers to ignore (much like myself and the 360), and that 'party style' games, plus the open nature of the PS3 will sway people once the price point is right.

Sony will never be able to out party game the Wii. So basically Wii is better at the casuals and the 360 is better at getting hardcore. Were does that leave sony?

harSon

Banned
Does anyone even know what Casual Gaming means anymore? I sure as hell don't... Seems to have morphed dramatically over the years.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Man God said:
I suppose so.

MS did the same thing with VP trying to attract the kiddy gamer market, and what did they really get out of it? A game a bunch of sweaty neckbeards swear by, and the ability to say that hey, at least they tried.

Indeed. I actually think of LBP as Sony's Viva Pinata. :)

We'll see how successful it will be compared to MS effort.

Top Bottom