• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Microsoft's silence at CES could be the start of a tough year for the Xbox.'

Deku

Banned
harSon said:
I'd say everyone outside of Nintendo is stuck in the shooting genre, it's not like anyone else is having any luck with different genre's this generation :lol

Well Nintendo is stuck in the no games genre. Which is probably worse.

Moving on,
To address the CES issue, it is true that the CES hasn't been a big event for games since E3 in the 90s, but the huge difference here is that there won't be a massive media heavy E3 this year, there hasn't been one since 2006. CES seems like a perfectly good platform for Microsoft to announce something and, considering they've announced the Xbox there before.

All the big media outlets are there as well. What do they gain by announcing something post CES when only the enthusiast press is called to some dinky hotel for a press conference.

If anything it's a missed opportunity. The article's assessment that Microsoft may well not quite know how to top itself again in 2008 and move forward with the 360 seems like a perfectly reasonable explanation.

I'm sure there will be a smattering of hardcore gaming announcements in the coming months, but they've let a huge opportunity go. Or rather, their choice not to use the CES as a platform to announce anything may hint at the lack of anything big outside of business as usual which could be bad news if you're part of the camp who believes the 360 is heir to the PlayStation's throne.

harSon

Banned
B-Ri said:
i dont know why people keep downplaying the PS3.

With the insane amounts of bad press, insane amounts of more bad press, much higher price tag then the competition, "lack of games", delays, ect. Its selling just as much as the 360 had when it launched.

2008 is Sony's for the taking, lets see if they do it.

Because it's selling less and the two systems had different expectations. Being the former market leader for the last 12 years by an unheard of margin tends to make people think that some form of momentum will carry over don't you think?

Deku said:
Well Nintendo is stuck in the no games genre. Which is probably worse.

Moving on,
To address the CES issue, it is true that the CES hasn't been a big event for games since E3 in the 90s, but the huge difference here is that there won't be a massive media heavy E3 this year, there hasn't been one since 2006. CES seems like a perfectly good platform for Microsoft to announce something and, considering they've announced the Xbox there before.

All the big media outlets are there as well. What do they gain by announcing something post CES when only the enthusiast press is called to some dinky hotel for a press conference.

If anything it's a missed opportunity. The article's assessment that Microsoft may well not quite know how to top itself again in 2008 and move forward with the 360 seems like a perfectly reasonable explanation.

I'm sure there will be a smattering of hardcore gaming announcements in the coming months, but they've let a huge opportunity go. Or rather, their choice not to use the CES as a platform to announce anything may hint at the lack of anything big outside of business as usual which could be bad news if you're part of the camp who believes the 360 is heir to the PlayStation's throne.

GDC is a month away.

SealSqueal said:
This column probably isn't as well written as they normally are, but beyond all the '360 is doomed lol' joke posts, he makes a valid point. The 360 shipped fewer consoles in 2007 than it did 2006.

This is not good, and basically means at this point, with most of its big guns rolled out for the forseeable future (yes we know GTAIV is there), it doesn't look like growing at all this coming year.

It may maintain, but the PS3 will experience massive growth surging towards year end. Whether that is enough to start surpassing the 360 is anyones guess, but the gap will almost certainly close.

The Xbox 360 outsold 2006 singificantly. How many they shipped is a fucking worthless statistic. They could have shipper 7.9 billion consoles last year and it wouldn't make any difference to how well the console is doing. Its all about consumer demand.

As for PS3 and its "surging sales", we have been hearing this since the PS3's release and steep decline. Put me in the "i'll see it when I believe it" crowd for the PS3 making a historic david and goliath style comeback.

The 360 is going to do well this generation, like it or lump it.

Wollan

Microsofts 2008 1st party lineup isn't as secretive as some people say. It was pretty much all revealed back at X06.

Alan Wake, Too Human, Banjo, Halo Wars & Fable 2.

And you will probably get Perfect Dark 2 and Gears 2 on top of those.

6jmyl9g.gif

Dante

Wollan said:
Microsofts 2008 1st party lineup isn't as secretive as some people say. It was pretty much all revealed back at X06.

Alan Wake, Too Human, Banjo & Fable 2.

Has Rare ever released 2 games in the same year?

sphinx

the piano man
I don't like this article, I don't believe what it says.

360 is getting a great ammount of things for hardcore gamers and that will keep the sytem very alive in the west. I not in the mood to the bring the list warz but I believe this guy is desperately seeking doom and chaos. It's very overblown.

Am I the only one agrees with the 'guns and cars' quote?

There is some truth to that but it's nothing compared to xbox 1. In my opinion, the xbox was trash, a boring system for gray/brown/black colored FPS.

I don't think it's the case with the 360, mainly because it has a couple of nice RPGs and some attractive, good looking, exclusive, high caliber games like Dead Rising, Mass Effect and (potentially) alan wake.

harSon

Banned
Wollan said:

Alan Wake, Too Human, Banjo & Fable 2.

First party developed? Maybe. But Microsoft's strengths this generation have been with 2nd party titles published by Microsoft and 3rd party exclusives. Microsoft has a lot more to unveil.

Dante said:

Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero came out on the same day?

Stopped reading right when I saw this part.

Xbox 360 still doesn't have sufficient appeal outside of the "cars and guns"

I'm looking forward to so many games this year and only one of them involves guns or cars.

There are a number of rpgs that will keep me busy this year. I cringe everytime i see people still bringing up the nonsense about the 360 not having other titles that can appeal to people outside of shooting or racing titles.

Deku

Banned
harSon said:
GDC is a month away.

Let's not get into the wait till... game, GDC is an event for people who make games. Announcements have been made there in the past, but you seem to imply that it's a co-equal to the CES as a platform to unveil something. I'm sure you'll be able to dig up another event if no major announcements are made there.

Secondly, this would fall under the 'hardcore' announcements attended by the enthusiast press I've already accounted for. It just means it is business as usual, more of the same. Which is the point being made by the author.

harSon

Banned
Fady K said:
Though I doubt its PD2 cause Rare isn't the type to announce a game and release it in the same year.

They unveiled Viva Pinata on March 2006 and released it in November of 2006.

Wollan

harSon said:
First party developed? Maybe. But Microsoft's strengths this generation have been with 2nd party titles published by Microsoft and 3rd party exclusives. Microsoft has a lot more to unveil.

I don't think there's much to get this year to be honest.

There are three I would raise my eyebrows for:

Fallout 3 (you bet they will be gunning for this one)
Resident Evil 5
Brutal Legend

Dante said:
For Xbox 360? Kameo and PDZ.
For N64: Blast Corps, Goldeneye and Diddy Kong Racing all in 1997.
Perfect Dark and Banjo Tooie in 2000;.

Dante

goldenpp72 said:
So what amazing CES ps3 shit happened? I missed the megatons.

Warner going blu ray exclusive is more megaton for the PS3 then any one game announcement could ever be.

bdouble

Since when did anyone actually care about CES and video games. This is news to me. They have never had a big showing. Its all hardware and accessories. The Novant Falcon has been the coolest thing there for the previous 5 years.

harSon

Banned
Deku said:
Let's not get into the wait till... game, GDC is an event for people who make games. Announcements have been made there in the past, but you seem to imply that it's a co-equal to the CES as a platform to unveil something. I'm sure you'll be able to dig up another event if no major announcements are made there.

Besides, I'm sure this would fall under the 'hardcore' announcements attended by the enthusiast press I've already accounted for. It just means it is business as usual, more of the same. Which is the point being made by the author.

Considering they have a confirmed 'large presence' there and the fact that they said they would find another means of announcements after canceling x07... I'd say it's pretty safe to say that GDC will be the time and place. It is after all the only sizable event until damn near summer.

Dante said:
Warner going blu ray exclusive is more megaton for the PS3 then any one game announcement could ever be.

You should see the face I made when I read this post.
It totally looked like I just smelled shit in a can.

goldenpp72

I dont consider the warner thing shit for now, no one in the normal world even cares about this shit right now. it will help later though, but for now, no real big announcements for GAME CONSOLES have hit.

Slavik81

Oh, you people. Just wait.
Microsoft's coasted along without any big announcements for months. Of course they've got plenty of things squirreled away that they can roll out to blow you away with this year.

Agent Icebeezy said:
You aren't paying attention.

Shipped to retail has 2006 over 2007.
Sold to customer has 2007 over 2006.

Hmmm I'm took him at his word, seems an odd thing to put in then.

IronicallyTwisted said:
The Xbox 360 outsold 2006 singificantly. How many they shipped is a fucking worthless statistic. They could have shipper 7.9 billion consoles last year and it wouldn't make any difference to how well the console is doing. Its all about consumer demand.

As for PS3 and its "surging sales", we have been hearing this since the PS3's release and steep decline. Put me in the "i'll see it when I believe it" crowd for the PS3 making a historic david and goliath style comeback.

The 360 is going to do well this generation, like it or lump it.

Believe it or not, as an owner of a 360 I'm suprisingly open to the seeing it doing well...

As for the PS3, well I never read much into one game being the saviour, but the signs are there for a solid string of hits. It is gonna happen to some degree, like it or lump it.

goldenpp72

We already knew resistance 2 was in dev, we just didn't know the truth be told excellent feature set, but guess what, we know gears 2 might hit this year too, I wonder which will sell more?

Sales don't matter? oh

CowboyAstronaut said:

I'm looking forward to so many games this year and only one of them involves guns or cars.

There are a number of rpgs that will keep me busy this year. I cringe everytime i see people still bringing up the nonsense about the 360 not having other titles that can appeal to people outside of shooting or racing titles.

But it's true. What are the top sellers on the system? Which games do people typically look forward to on the 360? That doesn't mean there aren't games that don't fit other genres. It just means that the library is skewed more towards that with the userbase also skewed toward those genres. There's certainly room to grow for Microsoft to attract other types of gamers but right now that is where the 360 userbase is at. Selling Halo 3 to half your userbase is very telling of that.

Dante

PepsimanVsJoe said:
You should see the face I made when I read this post.
It totally looked like I just smelled shit in a can.

O'rly They had the latest build of MGS4 there....Now what got more media coverage?

Jag22

Banned
The 360 shipped less in 2007 because it over shipped in 2006. And lets not forget the system was still selling for $399 for most of the year.

harSon said:
Do you even care about the Xbox 360? :lol Your post history is a little one sided, something like 99.999999999999999999% Sony.
Sony's his fave. He doesn't rattle any cages and makes a lot of good threads. I like Wollan.

Fredescu

CowboyAstronaut said:

If you don't have at least a passing interest in "cars and guns", you don't own a 360, period. That's the point of the article. You're welcome to keep your head in the sand about that if you like. I own a 360 and I don't own a PS3, but the PS3 is already proving itself to have the more diverse library of the two. Third parties will keep making what sells to the userbase, it's up to Microsoft to expand it beyond that and they've done a horrible job of that so far. Knocking on Rare's door and saying "we need another colourful game" every six months isn't near enough.

Wollan

harSon said:
Do you even care about the Xbox 360? :lol Your post history is a little one sided, something like 99.999999999999999999% Sony.
Oh friggin lol. He asked if any worthwhile gaming news had happened so far this year. Resistance 2 hitting this fall with the feature set promised is a Megaton.

Deku

Banned
harSon said:
Considering they have a confirmed 'large presence' there and the fact that they said they would find another means of announcements after canceling x07... I'd say it's pretty safe to say that GDC will be the time and place. It is after all the only sizable event until damn near summer.

They also have a large presence at CES. There's only so many events in 2008, they'll announce something eventually. But that's besides the point. You seem fixated on this phanton argument that I'm somehow implying they won't make an announcement.

The point was, CES is a huge show for them to announce their 2008 stategy with possibly new hardware.
Judging by how the 'gates to drop bomb at CES' thread drew all sorts of views and responses I'd say that WAS the general consensus too.

Covering the deflation of CES after the fact by explaining away that the event as insignificant is not the correct response. It just means true believers will apply the 'wait till' logic until said announcements come in a dinky hotel somewhere attended by the enthusiast press because the company figured out the mainstreen neededn't care about Guns and Cars 4: World at War.

"On the other hand, perhaps an even more daunting challenge is keeping the faithful satisfied in 2008. Going into 2007, the Xbox 360 release list looked absolutely stunning - whereas the 2008 schedule at this point in time looks comparatively barren. If Microsoft wants to maintain its momentum, let alone building new momentum, it needs to repeat the software success of 2007 - and it needs to do it without Bioware and Bizarre, both of which developed key Xbox 360 exclusives in the past but now belong to multi-platform publishers. It also needs to do it without Bungie; not only now an independent studio (albeit still likely to work on 360 exclusives), but also highly unlikely to have another game ready until 2009."

Last I checked, Mass Effect will continue to be a 360 exclusive, Bizarre isn't much of a factor, first or third party, anymore and like they say, Bungie will almost undoubtedly remain exclusive to MS. What filled in when the 360 didn't have a Halo in 06, Gears of War, should be the same this year.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kuroyume said:
Most of the highly anticipated PS3 games this years mainly have "cars and guns" in them... Go figure.

They are forgetting the tits! You can't go from third to second without them!

vantastic

harSon said:
your point? the last time someone mentioned this they got owned badly since their post history was all nintendo threads. :lol

harSon

Banned
Deku said:
They also have a large presence at CES. There's only so many events in 2008, they'll announce something eventually. But that's besides the point. You seem fixated on this phanton argument that I'm somehow implying they won't make an announcement.

The point was, CES is a huge show for them to announce their 2008 stategy with possibly new hardware.
Judging by how the 'gates to drop bomb at CES' thread drew all sorts of views and responses I'd say that WAS the general consensus too.

Covering the deflation of CES after the fact by explaining away that the event as insignificant is not the correct response. It just means true believers will apply the 'wait till' logic until said announcements come in a dinky hotel somewhere attended by the enthusiast press because the company figured out the mainstreen neededn't care about Guns and Cars 4: World at War.

Only announcements pertaining to hardware in some shape or form are announced at CES. IPTV is something you announce at CES, SKYPE support is something you announce at CES, game related software is not something you announce at CES nor has it ever been the place to do so.

vantastic

Man God said:
At least this year it has MGS 4 and the inferior version of GTA IV to fall back on. PS3 is good at falling back, so it'll continue it's walk of shame.
:lol
yup, there is nothing else coming out this year for ps3 except those 2 games.
thanks for your post. really.
:lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Marty Chinn said:
But it's true. What are the top sellers on the system? Which games do people typically look forward to on the 360? That doesn't mean there aren't games that don't fit other genres. It just means that the library is skewed more towards that with the userbase also skewed toward those genres. There's certainly room to grow for Microsoft to attract other types of gamers but right now that is where the 360 userbase is at. Selling Halo 3 to half your userbase is very telling of that.

You mean just like Resistance and Motorstorm are the two biggest sellers on the PS3? Cars and guns?

Top Bottom