• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Microsoft's silence at CES could be the start of a tough year for the Xbox.'

Fredescu

No, that's his GAF for dummies guide. He did a few longish stories characterising all the consoles as people, and applying the story to the sales news of the day. It started out in the MC threads, but he was asked not to put them in there anymore, so he started hosting them offsite.

Edit: Here it is http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2353571/1/

Talking of sales age... I've noticed the general tension and fanboy activity levels are definitely heightening as we close in on this month's NPD. Later part of the week is going to be explosive.

pr0cs

Psychotext said:
Talking of sales age... I've noticed the general tension and fanboy activity levels are definitely heightening as we close in on this month's NPD. Later part of the week is going to be explosive.
I predict many bitter
but delicious
tears, much hand wringing and teeth gnashing and many casualties.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
ok, so the 360 doesn't have Halo in 08 (actually it sort of does but anyway), the lineup is still better than the Wii's for 08 and only slightly behind the PS3s.

I fail to see them seriously struggle this year.

The only thing I see as a real killer is the lack of standard HDD. That really WILL catch up with them and bite them in the ass.

I think the RROD thing is overstated. I worked at EB during the PS2 launch and we got a shitload of them back at EB stores around Australia and no one cared, people still bought them.

I know a few mums who have bought their kids 360s for Christmas, and they wouldn't even know of the RROD issues. The article has some points, problem is, those points only apply to people like us, they don't actually apply to the masses he/she is referring to.

Shpeshal Ed said:
ok, so the 360 doesn't have Halo in 08 (actually it sort of does but anyway), the lineup is still better than the Wii's for 08 and only slightly behind the PS3s.

I fail to see them seriously struggle this year.

The only thing I see as a real killer is the lack of standard HDD. That really WILL catch up with them and bite them in the ass.

I think the RROD thing is overstated. I worked at EB during the PS2 launch and we got a shitload of them back at EB stores around Australia and no one cared, people still bought them.

I know a few mums who have bought their kids 360s for Christmas, and they wouldn't even know of the RROD issues. The article has some points, problem is, those points only apply to people like us, they don't actually apply to the masses he/she is referring to.

Peter Jacksons Halo Chronicles might be annouced this year. Also we have Halo Wars coming out this year as well as a good assortment of western and japanese rpgs slated for the box.

DeadTrees

"Well let's just ask Sony then, shall we?" says a smug Microsoft.

Nintendo and Microsoft peer down the open field, not a single person in sight.

"Where is he anyway?" says a puzzled Nintendo.

A voice rings out from the far right of the goal post "GUYS! HEY GUYS!!!"

They both quickly cock their heads to the side, bewildered as to why Sony would be over on the wrong side of the field.

Sony's arms flail in the wind as he shouts out to them, "I GOT IT!!! I GOT IT!!!"

Sony approaches the goal post.

Microsoft quizzes him, "Where have you been? We needed you. We've had a dispute."

Sony beams out with a smile, "I ran inside for a stop watch! Who's ready to race!?"
Neither of them got a chance to answer. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU KIDS DOING?" All three of them cringed--it was the voice of the school's truancy officer, Mr. Recession. "New rules in effect--you can't use the football field for personal use without my permission."

"It--it was all Sony's idea!" said Microsoft. "He's been making fun of us for years!"

"Doesn't matter. Microsoft and Nintendo, get to the principal's office. I have a feeling there'll be a lengthy suspension for both of you."

As Microsoft and Nintendo headed off, Mr. Recession's hand slid down to Sony's bottom. "Your latest projects have been quite disappointing, Sony. You'll be serving your suspension in my office, where you'll get some...hard...lessons in discipline."

"Yes...sir." I have enough lube to ride this out, thought Sony. I hope.

THE END
?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
DeadTrees said:
Neither of them got a chance to answer. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU KIDS DOING?" All three of them cringed--it was the voice of the local GAF Member, Mr. Dreamcast. "You kids wanna see a dead body?"

Fixed.

Next week on DeConsole Jr. High, Nintendo is caught with mushrooms in his locker, Microsoft has a heart attack but the ambulance will only come after a 25 minute phone call to 9-11 India, and is NGage...teenpregnant??

This is ridiculous, no doubt to incite Microsoft to take some form of action to hurt itself. They are far in the lead of the PS3. To succeed all they need to do is maintain the advantages they already have. Doing any more than that wouldn't be very smart on their part.

A smart man would look for what is missing in the picture, not assume the absence of presence at CES is due to failure. Companies have budgets, and resources. Those resources just don't vanish into thin air. Things are much more gradual than that in real life. Most likely they are funneling their resources in their games division somewhere else in the games division. Where in the games division... now that is the question?

Additionally, if I remember correctly, Sony did 1.5 billion, Nintendo did 2.5 billion, and Microsoft did 3.5 billion dollars in 360 related business. Granted the article is talking about the "tough" road ahead in 2008. But from looking at the bottom line, I just don't see it.

Top Bottom