• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Levyne

Banned
[NaK];131862797 said:
Im honestly not sure. It runs very smooth though, and I've only experienced some minor slow down 2-3 times in 7 hours, all during wraith interrigations.

I just have to share this aswell.

After 10+ deaths against the same fucking enemy, I finally managed to kill him today. The fucker was immune to most of my attacks and always had a pack of orcs with him whenever I met him. I've met him several times since the start of the game and never managed to kill him.
I've honestly never held such a grudge against a video game character before. He has leveled from 5 to 20 and caused me so much problems.
I spent 3 hours this afternoon, killing off his captains and leveling up, just to be absolutely butchered when I gathered the courage to attack him again,

Then I interrogated an informer and learned that he fears Caragors (the bear/hound things) and that he's susceptible to stealth kills.
So I tamed a beast and let it loose inside his camp after tracking him there, watched as he fled, and followed him at a distance.
When he was alone on a cliff, I snuck up behind him and slit his throat.

God daaaaaaamn, it felt so good.
I love the nemisis system.

AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif

The silence could just be marketing since WB and Sony have a marketing deal on the game.

True, no way to tell until launch it seems

and dat story, completely sold on the game. I think I'll go with PS4 instead of PC, I doubt my i5 2500k and gtx 580 will be able to play it on anything higher than Medium

Anung

Un Rama
I'm a big LOTR fan but for some reason I wasn't really that interested in this. I must say though the word of mouth is really selling me on it. Got a few dud games I might punt towards it.

Levyne

Banned
Here's an excellent post in the noisy vram thread.

Alright.

Ultra-Textures are not available yet, so the PC Gamer Vid only uses "High".

I doubt even the ultra-textures will use 6 Gigs on 1080p however - High uses 2.7 Gigs but with downsampling from 2720 x 1700 @ 1920 x 1200. Reason because I didn't try 1080 is because Mordor recognizes my downsampling-resolution as native and will only use percentages of that- so instead of 1080p I'll get some really weired ones like 1927 x 1187 or something like that (and I can't be arsed to fix it right now).

There is however a ingame-supersampling option so you can set the internal rendering to 200 % and will get effectivly 4K-Res while still being in 1080p. If I'd use that coming from 1080p instead of 1700p I'd wager you'd be around 3 Gigs. So the recommendation seems plausible.

So with Ultra-Textures taking somewhat more VRAM and Supersampling enabled, 4 Gigs might be just not enough, making the jump to 6 Gigs logical. - Remember: With Supersampling you're effectively running 4K not 1080p. Coming from there, I'd wager you'll be absolutely fine with 3 Gigs running this game with everything set to ultra, including textures but disabled supersamping.

It also runs very nice. Everything set to ultra except textures and downsampling I get an average framerate of just over 60 with some minor drops to ~50. Setting this to 4K, I still get 45+ with a R9 290X. This is an Nvidia-sponsored game, so Geforce-users will probably be at least slightly higher than this with a similar performing GPU (GTX 780- 780T i, Titan, GTX 970)
I'll test that more in-depth at some point next week, so we'll see.

So much for not opimized.

So don't get your panties in a bunch ;-)

So it seems like the VRAM numbers MIGHT be inflated to account for the ingame super-sampling. Obviously we'll see how people with various setups fare once the game is out.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
[NaK];131862797 said:
Im honestly not sure. It runs very smooth though, and I've only experienced some minor slow down 2-3 times in 7 hours, all during wraith interrigations.

After 10+ deaths against the same fucking enemy, I finally managed to kill him today. The fucker was immune to most of my attacks and always had a pack of orcs with him whenever I met him. I've met him several times since the start of the game and never managed to kill him.
I've honestly never held such a grudge against a video game character before. He has leveled from 5 to 20 and caused me so much problems.
I spent 3 hours this afternoon, killing off his captains and leveling up, just to be absolutely butchered when I gathered the courage to attack him again,

Then I interrogated an informer and learned that he fears Caragors (the bear/hound things) and that he's susceptible to stealth kills.
So I tamed a beast and let it loose inside his camp after tracking him there, watched as he fled, and followed him at a distance.

Well... that post was one of the best advertisements for the game I've heard...10/10.

I got goosbumps (and am even more hyped for the EB Games to open tomorrow) - off to grab it for PS4.

I would have got it for PC... but yeah, dem requirements :D

theytookourjobz

Just popping into this thread for the first time. Reviews are awesome and I'm definitely getting it now but how is the frame rate on consoles still a secret if reviews are out?

Nokterian

If I've never seen the movies (LOTR or the Hobbit), but I've enjoyed Assassin's Creed/Arkham series. Will I enjoy this game?

Time to watch them..start with LOTR and then the hobbit. Yes you will enjoy it in vein of Batman that makes me happy and with the nemesis system it is going to be great.

Xando

Just popping into this thread for the first time. Reviews are awesome and I'm definitely getting it now but how is the frame rate on consoles still a secret if reviews are out?

Only secret is the XB1 version which no reviewer got.
PS4 seems to be 60 fps with a few dips.

[NaK];131862797 said:

GOTY confirmed.. nothing else out there will match this kind of interaction in a game. Nothing.

All this posts man, I knew 100% this game would end up awesome, yeah Im a fortune teller.

Me too dawg!! All my coworkers was hating on me when I talked about how awesome this game looked last year at the E3. When they talked about the Nemesis system, I was immediately drawn to this game and then watching the combat like Batman, and the incredible animations, I knew it was going to be a hit -- at least in my gaming arsenal. :)

-M

Enco

[NaK];131862797 said:

Sounds brilliant.

Nemesis seems like the Skyrim system of random stories. Can't wait.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If there are difficulty levels, I will definitely be starting this off on hard.

Also, streamer is obnoxious.

[NaK];131862797 said:

This is awesome, even though Fears of Caragors and especially Susceptible to Stealth Kills are kind of a bummer for a level 20 foe, considering that's their level cap.

This is awesome, even though Fears of Caragors and especially Susceptible to Stealth Kills are kind of a bummer for a level 20 foe, considering that's their level cap.

Well the weaknesses and things are completely random and I believe they are there from creation. So if my understanding from listening to the devs talk about this, these two things were always his weakness and the player wasn't aware of it until he was already max level. I know that as they rank up they get more strengths (we saw in a video where an orc killed Ryan and the next time they saw him he had the summoner strength) but I don't believe they ever lose their weaknesses.

Karak

HOLY SHIT this game is awesome!! I can't watch anymore.. I have to just be surprised myself. Gawd!! The animations!!! The AI!! FUCK me!!

The run animation is such a sore thumb. Its like running in a dream where you try and try but can only run like 2 mph. Such an odd look.

theDeeDubs

The guy on the hitbox stream says the XB1 version feels 1080/30. Watching both streams side by side it also seems like the XB1 version is zoomed in more, similar to how Arkham Asylum was between the PS3/360. It might just be the stream or the area the PS4 guy is in though. It's strange because there is a more space between the screen's edge and the minimap on the PS4 version.

Tsukumo

Ok, this is all sorts of awesome:
watching the stream on hitbox right now and multiple counters ARE IN. Not just that but outside of two enemies attacking at the same time, Talion can perform counters during a counter he is already going through! One of those had the coolest animation:
Talion and Celebrimbor split in two and each one countered an enemy at the same time.
Oh my god, I'm freaking out.

Lebron

So the nemesis system is actually legit and not PR fluff like most of these "adapting AI" systems are? Color me impressed. Maybe I may pick this up after all

DrBo42

Ok, this is all sorts of awesome:
watching the stream on hitbox right now and multiple counters ARE IN. Not just that but outside of two enemies attacking at the same time, Talion can perform counters during a counter he is already going through! One of those had the coolest animation:
Talion and Celebrimbor split in two and each one countered an enemy at the same time.
Oh my god, I'm freaking out.

Oh thank god. Was so worried that wasn't in the game.

BigDug13

The guy on the hitbox stream says the XB1 version feels 1080/30. Watching both streams side by side it also seems like the XB1 version is zoomed in more, similar to how Arkham Asylum was between the PS3/360. It might just be the stream or the area the PS4 guy is in though. It's strange because there is a more space between the screen's edge and the minimap on the PS4 version.

Could be an overscan issue?

ironcreed

Banned
My only concern is that Forza Horizon 2 comes out on the same day. Then I'll be getting The Evil Within in two weeks. Whatever, this is getting played first. That is all I know.

Ark

Do you guys reckon I could run this on high/ultra with an i5 4670k and an R9 270X? At 60fps and 1080p of course. If I can't then I'll either grab the PS4 version in a sale or wait until I upgrade to a GTX 970.

Why in the world would they choose to go for resolution over frames...makes absolutely no damn sense.

Is it bad that I can give two craps about the LOTR inspiration and only want to indulge in the nemesis system? I wish to bring total Anarchy to the orc's civilization, I want to pit war chief brother against war chief brother and go on missions with my orc underlings.

the ranger outfit makes the main character look like a goof goof, i'm surprised so many are in love with bootleg Theif.

[NaK]

Please remember that what I write is just my personal opinion of the game so far. :)
The combat could very well get repetitative after 20 hours of gameplay, and the enviroments so far isn't very varied. There's one big, open map with a lot of rocks and brown buildings.
As for the story, you dont get much presented at the start. You have to progress with story missions and treasure hunts to piece the puzzle together of what has happened to you and Celebrimbor. It's interesting, but I have more fun wreaking havoc on the different groups of Orcs and leveling, rather then chasing these answers at the moment.

With that said, I still enjoying the game so far. I dont need more to be entertained.

I still havent completely understood the Nemesis sytem though.
There seem to be a lot of events that come and go, where one or more orcs battle for promotions or strenght. These seem to change location and type at random.
For example, while exploring, I can find an ongoing duel between two different Orcs, batteling for the role of captain.
If you chose to intervene, you can somewhat control the result (If you shoot orc A in the head, orc B will win, and get promoted and strenghtened).
I guess this is how you're supposed to manipulate the chains of command and internal power struggles.

But whenever I complete a main mission or die, the AI seem to finish all these events based on randomness or statistics.
So there is quite a lot of promotions from left to right, that I dont quite understand if I could prevent or not.

Laieon

On the off chance that someone has the PC version, how playable is it without a controller? I'm in Korea, and I have absolutely no clue where to look for a wired 360 controller.

Top Bottom