• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War will have premium currency/loot boxes

duckroll

Funniest part about this is that they are not just timesaving cheats but they are RANDOM timesaving cheats. If you wanna lootbox, at least lootbox right and have a bunch of cool exclusive cosmetics and shit, and shoehorn in a multiplayer mode.

Keasar

Guyz it's just optional! You don't HAVE to spend the money! More options are always good.

You're a fucking fool if you pay for this lol.

It's optional, not sure why people are freaking out waiting till it hits 5 bucks.

It's optional but what's the guarantee they haven't tweaked the gameplay for the sake of the loot boxes? Like lowering the drop rate of gear that ordinarily enemies would have?

If I don't remember wrong, in Dead Space 3 you could buy resources with real money to craft gear and weapons, and people noticed that resource drops were VERY slow. Like something had influenced the design of the game.

Aaron

A lot of games have this type of currency but I didn't ever feel the need to buy anything.

Someone mentioned Dead Space 3 and how he skipped the game because of that. Meanwhile I finished it two times in coop and had a great time. Microtransactions? Who cares. They included them not for me.
You didn't think that drone with it's free-to-play like cooldown wasn't the dumbest thing in the entire series? Don't get me wrong, I also finished the game, and liked it for the most part, but their need for this premium currency crap made the game worse.

Santar

Aaaaaaargh!
Yet another game ties itself to a online connection for no reason whatsoever!!!!
They could've just had the buy currency part tied to a server but noooo, they had to tie the entire marketplace to a internet connection.
I haaaaaaate this trend of making games dependent on a server soooooooo much :(

Bummer, I had planned to buy day 1 if the reviews weren't trash but I have no interest in buying a full priced game that relies on micro transaction type garbage.

Guess I'll gamefly it or buy it for 15$ used next summer.

Head.spawn

Sadly they are, every time we fought back against something they come back with something new. I just wish this shit would be regulated.

I voted with my wallet, I'm sure you and others did as well, but overwhelmingly millions bathed in loot and microtrnsactions. Just picture that infamous "CoD-boycott.jpg", same thing. If gamers as a whole actually wanted it gone, didn't buy and voiced realistic solutions/opinions against, we would be somewhere.

Absolutely agree about the regulation point though. You either need to be 21 to gamble or simply buy a videogame, lol. It's pretty ridiculous.

Because they do.
Yup, watched a guy in Gamestop Monday buy $150 in NBA 2k currency. I asked how much he's spent total and he said easily over a grand. A grand on something that won't work in the new game he also pre-ordered and bought $50 in VC for.

I voted with my wallet, I'm sure you and others did as well, but overwhelmingly millions bathed in loot and microtrnsactions. Just picture that infamous "CoD-boycott.jpg", same thing. If gamers as a whole actually wanted it gone, didn't buy and voiced realistic solutions/opinions against, we would be somewhere.

Also if a game with this shit in it sells poorly they will just blame reviews, marketing, bad timing, etc instead of their shit ideas.

Head.spawn

Also if a game with this shit in it sells poorly they will just blame reviews, marketing, bad timing, etc instead of their shit ideas.

Game journalists should stop being apologists then.

When gamers voice concerns like this, usually it's met with a bunch of "entitled gamer scum!" pieces or reviews and previews that aren't critical of those games that abuse the game:ripoff-tactics ratio. They've failed us and don't necessarily support gamers in a lot of cases.

bluexy

Wait, guys. There's a sunny side of this issue.

Loot Borcses.

Loot Boxes + Orcs.

Phew, no need to thank me for saving the day.

LOOT BORCSES

Recall

Yup, watched a guy in Gamestop Monday buy $150 in NBA 2k currency. I asked how much he's spent total and he said easily over a grand. A grand on something that won't work in the new game he also pre-ordered and bought $50 in VC for.

I work with a guy who drops £150-300 a month on Fifa. His choice of course but he never seems happy yet can't seem to stop :/

Belker

It really frustrates me when people say 'But you don't *need* to buy it, they are giving you an option to get it early'.

No. No they're not. They're putting in an artificial lock and then pretending that they're doing you a favour.

If you can *buy* an item immediately, than means there is no *gameplay* reason for it to be locked at all.

They're not doing it for the good of the game, they're not doing it so you enjoy the title more.

Also, there's something inherently weird about the idea that people are willing to pay *not to have play the game*.

Szadek

Good, that's another game I don't want to buy anymore.
I suppose this is one way to save me time and money.

Zukkoyaki

Boneheaded and greedy for a single-player game but I still plan to get it day-one. I can't imagine it infringing on the experience in a meaningful enough way that ignoring them isn't viable.

Roussow

I'm not going to defend this, but there's a likely chance if this is far enough in the background it won't bother me. I remember Mankind Divided had weapons and praxis kits up for purchase for the main-game proper, and at no point did I feel like that core game had its upgrade path or reward structure in anyway comprimised -- I didn't play much Breach mode, can't speak to that, that's a seperate talking point.

This is a totally different discussion entirely, but I do wonder every so often how nessesary it is going to be going forward for the standard price of AAA games to go up beyond $60 (I use USD here, Australian game pricing seems super inconsistant to properly nail down a standard price).
I can see a bunch of reasonable arguments in favor of this -- beyond just the whole greedy publishers take.

Euron

I understand that a $60 payment is not enough revenue in relation to the expenses necessary for the creation of most AAA games in 2017 but the implementation of loot boxes in the vast majority of games is jarring and grindy, tending to unfairly punish players who refuse to pay more. I hope developers find a better way to get more from single player games because this method certainly does not work for me and justifies me skipping on the game entirely.

This game looks like garbage and sounds like garbage.

I'll buy the GOTY edition on PS5 for 10 dollars thank you very much.

Why would you spend any money on something you think 'looks like garbage and sounds like garbage'?

I get the point you're trying to make but it falls a bit flat when you literally say you'd pay $10 for garbage.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I fucking hate this shit in SP games. I'm gonna go out of my way to buy this second hand now.

This now has turned into a 2018 title for me.

Same, thankfully we all have plenty of other options in October.

Annnnnnnd interest is completely gone. Saves me the $60, in any case. Shame, huge fan of the original game. If i'm being honest, all the material for this game hasn't really been roping me in quite as much as it should have, considering how much I loved Shadow of Mordor.

Then charge 80 or 90 for an honest and complete game without this trash. Ill buy it.

You will be most people won't. People, almost universally, would rather pay less up front and be nickled and dimed because the PERCIEVED COST is less. You raise the price and suddenly people are scared off because the price to start is too high. Notice how games get cheap/free within a year via Ps+/GWG/Gamepass/EA access now? That is literally so they can get more people in and buy DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing AAA games coming out the gate at $30-40 under the idea you feed money into it.

I hate it, I don't want this to happen. I wish games woulda gone up $10 this gen to offset DLC, but I'm not most gamers and I don't think it's going to get better for people who prefer the traditional model.

Petrae

While increased MSRPs-- at least to $70-$80 per AAA game-- would seem like a way for publishers to call of the post-purchase revenue dogs... shareholders wouldn't sit too well with the post-purchase revenue stream going away. Sure, an extra $10-$20 per unit would be a nice initial shot in the arm, but it doesn't last. The economy of microtransactions persists and allows for a nice stream of revenue to continue for months after the first wave of sales has passed.

Bottom line is that this shit isn't ever going away. Pandora's Box is open and microtransactions are now the accepted norm. EA, TTWO, WBIE, ATVI, and UBI are all operating with this as the standard. Outside of GAF, consumers have not only welcomed this new standard, but they also sink millions of dollars into it.

It would not shock me if any MSRP price increase (which I think is inevitable) also maintains the microtransaction economy. Things will never return to how they were before console internet connectivity opened the door to increased revenue potential.

madjoki

This game is definitely not day one.

Would it be piracy if you use cheat engine to cheat yourself some gold for free?

Yes. Just like editing ini files to unlock on-disc DLC etc would be.

Then charge 80 or 90 for an honest and complete game without this trash. Ill buy it.

Or they can do both and charge 100€ for somethig that is (maybe?) complete version and still have mtxn...

cxwbxuI.png

That was good enough reason to not even think about preordering this.

I wonder if you can be 'banned' from single player games from getting cheats and not using these micro transactions

In theory it's possible. (check Console ID/Account ID against list of baned users). Of course it could be bypassed unless you make require online for SP.

(Of course it could very well be against policies by console manufacturers/steam)

I didn't mind this in Injustice 2, if they keep the same kind of acquisition rate it should be ok.

Yeah, it's quite hard to say how exactly is before game is out. For example I think Deus Ex MD was good balance without spending anything extra.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yeah, it's quite hard to say how exactly is before game is out. For example I think Deus Ex MD was good balance without spending anything extra.

The worse case scenario is Dead Space 3, where they completely changed the moment to moment combat and upgrade system to suit the microtransactions.

Alienous

I don't even know if this kind of this can be combated. Games should be legally required to declare this kind of fuckery up-front. A big, fat disclaimer on the cover / online storefronts.

timberger

Game already didn't look great, but now it's a definite hard pass from me.

Next Batman game should be great at this rate.

Zakalwe

Banned
It really frustrates me when people say 'But you don't *need* to buy it, they are giving you an option to get it early'.

No. No they're not. They're putting in an artificial lock and then pretending that they're doing you a favour.

If you can *buy* an item immediately, than means there is no *gameplay* reason for it to be locked at all.

They're not doing it for the good of the game, they're not doing it so you enjoy the title more.

Also, there's something inherently weird about the idea that people are willing to pay *not to have play the game*.

Pretty much.

And they're not even allowing you to buy the items, they're letting you roll for them. You might spend £100 extra wanting a specific set and not get it, that's the kind of addiction they're hoping for.

Goddamit. I loved the first one and I was super hyped for this one. I guess I'll be joining folks on the "wait for the bargain bin" train now.

*puts on tin foil hat* I wonder if this "feature" is why the game got delayed two months...

Markitron

*puts on tin foil hat* I wonder if this "feature" is why the game got delayed two months...

If this actually was the reason for the delay, then it is monumentally stupid. October is stacked with releases, this game could have done really well in August.

Drazgul

Goddamit. I loved the first one and I was super hyped for this one. I guess I'll be joining folks on the "wait for the bargain bin" train now.

I mean, you know it'll have an asston of DLC anyway so might as well for the complete edition.

Top Bottom