• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War will have premium currency/loot boxes

I fully agree with that post. I was going to say basically the same thing but this was put more elegantly than I would have done.

I have the £200 version ordered and I won't be cancelling it over this non issue.

I would be a lot less cynical of loot box/dlc/micro hate if it 90% of the time didn't just boil down to "other people are playing MY games!".

SRTtoZ

Unity also reigned in some of that in later patches I believe and they also let you open any chests in game without the use of the stupid app. I wonder though how long before publishers want people to pay for talent points or some shit like that. Hey you can unlock talents by doing side missions but you can also speed that up for $9.99 and buy a pack of 5 talent points to spend on any of the in game talent trees! That's no different than asking for people to pay for in game lootboxes in an offline singleplayer only game.

DrArchon

"So how much money do you think we'll make from this sequel to a wildly successful game based on a wildly successful IP?"

"Not enough. It's never enough."

And i will buy it at a low price and game of the year edition. Warner Bros is truly the worst when it comes to DLC, they nickle and dime everything.

This puts me way off and the people shouting you don't have to buy it, it is still locking content behind something you have to pay for and i already paid 60 euro's. DLC can be good but it has to have value, this isn't value, sure you can unlock through the game but i expect long and boring grinds just to unlock that one thing.

So if the grind is long and boring and you don't want to put in the effort... they are putting a price on that. Either take it or don't, but don't bemoan the option.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Not surprised. Almost every single major AAA game coming out this year will have micro transactions. The big games that drive the industry. I am also not buying any of them. Oh, alot of them have season passes too.

It seems our voices went unheard and those who like to buy in have won out. If you don't like this, at least it makes it easy the avoid. Problem is, you are playing less and less.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean, I wasn't terribly interested in the game to begin with, so I guess it doesn't affect my purchase decision either way... but if I did care, this would actually cause me to not buy the game. I hate this shit.

- Pay to play less of the game you paid $60 to play.
This is the most hilarious one. Like... rule #1 of game design is to make your game fun to play at all times( satisfying gameplay loop, pacing etc ). If your game offers "timesaver" packs then you fucked up sooooo hard as an entertainment provider. Counterargument that this is offered for players with less free time to play games is also broken at it's core.
If this is not a red flag the size of Everest i don't know what is.

+1 to this.

They are saying some parts of their $60 game are so annoying that you would pay even more to avoid them. When you think about this from the viewpoint of other entertainment media, the idea to pay money to skip content is absurd.

"I see you have never watched Game of Thrones before and are buying the blu-ray box set of seasons 1-6 for $160. If you don't have the time, just spend $30 more and we'll include a 10 minute recap summary of seasons 1-5 to get you to season 6 faster."

Roshin

+1 to this.

They are saying some parts of their $60 game are so annoying that you would pay even more to avoid them. When you think about this from the viewpoint of other entertainment media, the idea to pay money to skip content is absurd.

"I see you have never watched Game of Thrones before and are buying the blu-ray box set of seasons 1-6 for $160. If you don't have the time, just spend $30 more and we'll include a 10 minute recap summary of seasons 1-5 to get you to season 6 faster."

I wounder if you could sell achievments? People obviously want them, but hey, if they can't be arsed to actually get them through playing the game, just pay up and they can pretend they're really good at the game. For ultimate greed and evil, you could sell random achievments to them. Just keep paying until you have them all... :(

Pay to not play, the new monetization model.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unity also reigned in some of that in later patches I believe and they also let you open any chests in game without the use of the stupid app. I wonder though how long before publishers want people to pay for talent points or some shit like that. Hey you can unlock talents by doing side missions but you can also speed that up for $9.99 and buy a pack of 5 talent points to spend on any of the in game talent trees! That's no different than asking for people to pay for in game lootboxes in an offline singleplayer only game.

I have good bad news!

Ooccoo

A whole generation of gamers have grown up thinking microtransactions and season passes are normal. It is simply too late, customers have shown time and again that they will happily spend $100+ for games.

Fortunately, you can avoid these cash grabs. Well, most of the time. Always vote with your wallet. Games are costly and it makes it easier to choose which ones to get at full price.

the chris

I wounder if you could sell achievments? People obviously want them, but hey, if they can't be arsed to actually get them through playing the game, just pay up and they can pretend they're really good at the game. For ultimate greed and evil, you could sell random achievments to them. Just keep paying until you have them all... :(

I think Nier: Automata gives you the ability to buy trophies. No in game currency as far as I'm aware of though.

Tagg9

Nier Automata has a similar mechanic in that game where you use in-game currency to literally buy trophies. Not sure if you can actually physically purchase the in-game currency, though.

Meanwhile on the game's reddit page...

I think there's too much fear and anger over this market. First of all, it's a single player game. What someone else chooses to do with their game doesn't affect your game. Secondly, people play games differently. Some people want to take their time and get hours of enjoyment (I'm one of them) and others like to just speed through games as well as various styles between. Who cares if Johnny over here wants to spend his money getting an initial edge where Jake would rather take his time and work for finding the perfect Orc and such?

This is a deeply flawed argument. It is true that people want to play games differently, and it is commendable that a developer would design their game so it can accommodate different playstyles. That is NOT what people are upset about. Games have had difficulty settings since forever and nobody cared. What they do care about is the game charging money for some of those settings.

The commenter is fine with the current setup because the difficulty setting he prefers is included for free. He would feel quite different if it were the other way around. Imagine if they charged you to get less loot and forced you to grind. I seriously doubt he'd pay that extra fee and be happy about it.

joeyjoejoe

Neo Member
Not that it matters for the majority of you guys, but I have no plans on getting any loot boxes or premium currency and will just play the game as it is presented. If there's top tier loot for the game that i need to grind 40 hours to get... well, I typically don't care enough get it.

Point is, as has been said, people play games differently. I dont care to 100% it and it looks like none of the campaign / story will be behind this system. The first game was great and I was OP by midway through, i'm sure this game will play similarly.

Drake

I got Shadow of Mordor for 4 bucks off Steam and was thinking about getting this at release (depending on reviews). Now I'll just get this on sale for 5 bucks a year or 2 from now.

AlterOdin

Jesus, WB seems like (read: is) a shitty publisher. Was not a fan of the day-0 DLC for the first game (although mostly inconsequential for the main campaign) . But I see they have "upped the ante" for it's sequel. A sad day for the industry.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
ugh...

giphy.gif

Guess I'm buying it used.
This, if at all.

hydruxo

I picked up Shadow of Mordor not long ago and I couldn't get into it so I was wondering if I should bother with Shadow of War at all. This answers my question though. Definitely skipping it now.

How would that work? How does always online stop a trainer? What are they gonna do, ban me from the non-present online mode? Lock me out of the singleplayer game i purchased and wait for lawsuits?

Well, RE7 on PC wouldn't launch if you were running a normal signed version of Cheat Engine. However, an unsigned version would work and trainers worked.

I understand where you are coming from though. I'm going to get GOTY version of SoM for cheap and cheat if I can to spite them.

evangd007

Back in my day we called these things "cheat codes". They also weren't random, and oh yeah we didn't have to pay for them.

What would StarCraft be like if it was made like this? $5 for Operation CWAL?

So... what are the odds they have always-on for the single player because they want to police people from using CE or such on PC?

Jedi2016

The whole "loot box" thing needs to fuck right off.

It's one thing if you're buying something specific... but the whole point of loot boxes is that you've got no idea what's in that box before you buy it. "Oh, I didn't get the gear I wanted... better buy more boxes and maybe I'll get it!!" Which is exactly what they want you to do.

It's especially true when the items in question affect gameplay. What inevitably happens is that the RNG is tweaked to deny you the good upgrades or whatever, and push you to the store. Sure, you can buy everything with Mirian, but how rare is Mirian going to be? How long will it take you to grind for enough to buy that upgrade rather than shell out a few bucks for a bunch of Mirian or a bunch of loot crates?

On top of that, it's a full-priced $60 game... and on top of that, it's a fucking single-player game.

I hope the microtransactions are enough to offset the people who say "fuck this" and don't buy it. Like me.

Szadek

Seems like $60 isn't a lot these days.

At least not enough for AAA development, unless it sells like GTA
It has nothing to do with that.
WB can get away with premium currency and loot boxes, so the game gets premium currencyand loot boxes.
That's all there is to it.

frontovik

Banned
Whatever, it's optional .. but it's still incredibly poor taste to put it in a game in which the priority is the single-player experience. It reeks of corporate greed.

Seyfert

While I know developer/publisher want more money to fund their staff but if something like this happen in any single player $60 game, I would call it that they have no respect for players who use their hard-earned money to purchase their game.

Sure you can tell everyone no content lock behind paywall but why Premium currency only loot box then? At least if this one can use in-game currency to buy it, I would give it benefit of doubt.

I suspect that they make this on purpose to draw and try to lure players who didn't have patience enough. This word they said everything can obtain...in SIlver loot chest i guess maybe 0.5% chance to get the legendary ? That's how do you "wording" it. It basically here but you have very slim chance to get it. I see it is online only so if player didn't have internet connection then they have no way to upgrade their character? Wow, just wow.

I wonder though how long before publishers want people to pay for talent points or some shit like that. Hey you can unlock talents by doing side missions but you can also speed that up for $9.99 and buy a pack of 5 talent points to spend on any of the in game talent trees!

You don't need to wonder any more. Deus Ex Mankind Divided has microtransactions to buy Praxis (skill) points. And the new Tomb Raider reboot straight up sold the skills you'd otherwise unlock in the game. I'm sure there are more examples.

Petrae

Seems like $60 isn't a lot these days.

At least not enough for AAA development, unless it sells like GTA

It isn't, really. We haven't had an MSRP increase in a dozen years for AAA games and the industry is arguably overdue for one.

The problem is that publishers will never walk back on post-purchase revenue, so even with a price hike, we'll still see the same approach after the initial sale.

It isn't, really. We haven't had an MSRP increase in a dozen years for AAA games and the industry is arguably overdue for one.
And I would be just fine with a price increase for meaty games. But ...

The problem is that publishers will never walk back on post-purchase revenue, so even with a price hike, we'll still see the same approach after the initial sale.
... you're absolutely right about this.

Roshin

The whole "loot box" thing needs to fuck right off.

It's one thing if you're buying something specific... but the whole point of loot boxes is that you've got no idea what's in that box before you buy it. "Oh, I didn't get the gear I wanted... better buy more boxes and maybe I'll get it!!" Which is exactly what they want you to do.

I'd like to at least see some transparancy when it comes to random purchases like loot boxes. What exactly are the chances to get the various items?

Joco

I'd like to at least see some transparancy when it comes to random purchases like loot boxes. What exactly are the chances to get the various items?

^This. I believe China is now forcing companies to disclose the drop rates for loot box systems in their games. The U.S should follow suit if we're not going to outright ban the practice as gambling.

nel e nel

Pay to not play, the new monetization model.

Some DLC have achievements, so that's basically happening already.

SRTtoZ

I agree that prices have stayed the same and everything else around us is getting more expensive but I thought the reason Season Passes existed was because of that. So not only are they selling a season pass for $40 or you could buy the Gold Edition for $100, now they also want to sell lootboxes in an offline singleplayer game. That's the thing, you give an inch and they take a mile. It's shit.

Top Bottom