• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War will have premium currency/loot boxes

ugh...

giphy.gif

Guess I'm buying it used.

Me too, seriously so tired of this shit in singleplayer games.

People will pay for those premium shit anyway, so I guess they don't really need my money. I think I will just borrow from a friend instead, and knowing him well I am sure he is gonna buy it used too.

Feels so good to vote with my wallet while not missing the fun.

You want to be a cheap ass developer? Then I will be a cheap ass customer. Let's see who's the loser in the end.

Novocaine

This is a bummer but I'm not writing the game off yet. I'll be waiting to see what kind of effect this will have on the game. I'm really hoping that it hasn't been hamstrung to facilitate these loot boxes and instead these are just boosts for people who want an easy time.

You want to be a cheap ass developer? Then I will be a cheap ass customer. Let's see who's the loser in the end.

Lol.

This game is going to sell a metric fuckton. So I guess it's going to be you.

FLAguy954

Man, this 'but you can buy it with in-game currency!' justification is getting so old when it's obvious the market is always drastically skewered towards paying real money.

Like SFV -- 'But you can use fight money to buy the characters!*'

*if you play for 6 hours a day for thirty days a month.

I agree. Bullshit like this leaves a sour taste in my mouth after one of my favorite franchises was inflicted by the curse of microtransactions 😔 (Gears of War 4).

Novocaine

I agree. Bullshit like this leaves a sour taste in my mouth after one of my favorite franchises was inflicted by the curse of microtransactions 😔 (Gears of War 4).

Yeah the Gears MT suck. I love playing Horde but they made the grind so slow. Halo 5 does it right I think, I'm hoping SoW is more like that model and less like the Gears model.

Jumeira

Banned
This is disappointing. Feel sorry for the devs that probably felt dirty following through on implementing this.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
For fucks sake.

I'm really excited for the game but this sours me on it, I'd cancel my pre-order if I didn't get it for so cheap.

If this becomes an issue I'll just run a trainer. I'll play offline if that'll be necessary.
Publishers always talk about how microtransactions, random loot boxes etc. is about providing players with timesaving options. So surely they won't mind.

AXE

The first game was ok, but nothing spectacular. It had good ideas but unfortunately it was bogged down with loads of mediocre and seen-before solutions.

I'm getting this one from a sale.

Sentenza

Lol.

This game is going to sell a metric fuckton. So I guess it's going to be you.
I'm expecting it to sell a lot less than the previous one, actually.
Or does that happen just for good sequels, like Legend of Grimrock, Dishonored, Titanfall, etc?

Loot boxes are the worst trend in gaming right now.
I dislike them even when they come for free as a core game mechanic. Imagine paying for them as a premium extra.

Me too, seriously so tired of this shit in singleplayer games.

People will pay for those premium shit anyway, so I guess they don't really need my money. I think I will just borrow from a friend instead, and knowing him well I am sure he is gonna buy it used too.

Feels so good to vote with my wallet while not missing the fun.

Dude you know its not the dev, come on with that shit. Its more likely than not wb enforcing this on most of their upcoming slate. Thats like blaming eidos for the premium praxis kits in mankind divided, you know that was on square and not them.

Ahiko

Neo Member
I liked the first one, but I'm not going to support these practices, they can forget a buy from me. Enough good games in the backlog!

Random loot boxes, purchasing the chance of getting the thing you want to purchase, is a dumb concept. Removes player agency and replaces it with gambling/spending on stuff you don't want or need.
It at least sounds like you won't unlock abilities in this manner, so that's something, I guess.

The detrimental effects of always online are only acceptable if the game is actually doing something beneficial to the user experience that requires a constant connection. So far there's nothing.

Instead, there's potentially additional downsides, as it's possible they'll run checks that prevent users from modifying save files.
Which would mean that the reason (or at least one of the reasons) for this game being always online, would be to prevent players from cheating, in a single player game. To protect their microtransaction economy, in a single player game.

Removing good options, so they can make money from their bad feature. Which in addition, adds financial incentive to (further) bad game design. I.e. tedious filler garbage, sluggish progression.

Attempting to make more money by making a game more bad, seems bad to me.
Probably something that shouldn't be encouraged. Probably won't buy this game if it turns out like this.

Saty

Remember the good old days when flaws in game design were things devs thought would benefit their games? Now you gotta think twice if the dev is simply incompetent or scheming to force you players into real-money purchases.

Seyfert

Single player game that require internet connection to play (what a bad idea) and together with loot boxes (another bad idea).

I can see this will not end well. : (

Really hate when I play "Single Player" game and try to build my char/army and get whatever i don't want and have to random til I got what i want with no clear goal.

They really want to prevent save-scumming for people who try to buy box and reload the save til they get item they want. I guess.

Altairre

Loot boxes are one thing but this always online garbage in a singleplayer only game is quite another. Was looking forward to it too but this is something I can't support. Bummer.

Kakaroach

Always online and loot boxes for a single player game? I just recently bought and played the first one and loved it. This news is a downer for sure. Disappointed.

Get the fuck out of here. I'm not even going to buy it at 5$. Always online and SP loot box hahaha. I hope this bombs like no other. I feel bad the the developers and it's prob not their fault. But fuck that noise!

Velcro Fly

Of course it always requires an online connection. Wouldn't want to cut off that revenue stream of suckers buying loot boxes right? No way was the game's progression designed to make you buy these loot boxes either. We can totally trust WB to do right by consumers right? After all none of us are psychic right?

Someone get out the bingo sheet of shitty AAA practices. I'm thinking this one is getting pretty close to all of them at this point.

Sober6809

Banned
Why do they think people will buy this shit in single player games? I mean it's one thing if it's Assassin's Creed 4-tier grind but I'd imagine this is another example similar to Deus Ex Mankind Divided where it's completely unnecessary and only fools paid money for it.

If it's grindy and clearly designed to make money off micro transactions at a fundamental level.... All I can say is, thank god for Steam sales/key sites and cheat engine.
Because the world doesn't operate like how GAF's users do. If that was the case, MC's would be dead in the water

Nekketsu Kõha;245433799 said:
People will buy it and this is the year when all AAA games have it. Except for Nintendo and some PC titles.

Fact of life. The era of gambling has begun.

On a even more serious note I really think government intervention is in order. This has gone too far and is out of control. These games are marketed towards kids and teens while avoiding all gambling regulation and law.

No fucking thank you.
That doesn't actually solve anything, and we've quite a few threads debating it. The side that wants this doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Top Bottom