• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War will have premium currency/loot boxes

OraleeWey

It was talked about earlier in the thread but how do you go about getting the government involved in regulating these horrible gambling practices?

Goddamit. I loved the first one and I was super hyped for this one. I guess I'll be joining folks on the "wait for the bargain bin" train now.

*puts on tin foil hat* I wonder if this "feature" is why the game got delayed two months...

No. The collectors edition mentioned war chests at reveal.

Yogg

I didn't plan on getting the game, so no "I changed my mind" snarky comment here. Still, it sucks to see one more AAA title trying to push those practices. But I'm not surprised.

dab0ne

It was talked about earlier in the thread but how do you go about getting the government involved in regulating these horrible gambling practices?

You probably can't. It's kind of like opening a pack of Pokemon cards. I think the way stuff like this dies is when the user base loses interest in purchasing it.

I can absolutely understand their decision to include things like that in this game. It's a game backed by a major corporation, who sees how succesful loot boxes are, and how they can be a part of that with relatively little effort, and probably make a lot of money on it.

The only reason for them not including it, once the question about it has been raised, would be an ideological one, and I don't expect that from a corporation like WB.

So I understand it.

I just don't want to be a part of it.

There are so many games competing about one's attention and money, so with me not being desperate for action focused titles like this, I will rather start with games from companies that goes out of their way to respect their customers, and work my way down the priority list of games from that.

Just like with excessive DRM, it's not something I would completely boycott a game for. I will just focus on other titles before.

Crate boxes in a singleplayer game just moves it uncomfortably closer to F2P games, and games like that are rarely developed with customer respect as focus.

m_dorian

It really frustrates me when people say 'But you don't *need* to buy it, they are giving you an option to get it early'.

No. No they're not. They're putting in an artificial lock and then pretending that they're doing you a favour.

If you can *buy* an item immediately, than means there is no *gameplay* reason for it to be locked at all.

They're not doing it for the good of the game, they're not doing it so you enjoy the title more.

Also, there's something inherently weird about the idea that people are willing to pay *not to have play the game*.

Quite so.

SRTtoZ

I can absolutely understand their decision to include things like that in this game. It's a game backed by a major corporation, who sees how succesful loot boxes are, and how they can be a part of that with relatively little effort, and probably make a lot of money on it.

The only reason for them not including it, once the question about it has been raised, would be an ideological one, and I don't expect that from a corporation like WB.

So I understand it.

I just don't want to be a part of it.

There are so many games competing about one's attention and money, so with me not being desperate for action focused titles like this, I will rather start with games from companies that goes out of their way to respect their customers, and work my way down the priority list of games from that.

Just like with excessive DRM, it's not something I would completely boycott a game for. I will just focus on other titles before.

Crate boxes in a singleplayer game just moves it uncomfortably closer to F2P games, and games like that are rarely developed with customer respect as focus.

See I understand Loot boxes in other games like Heroes of the Storm (F2P) or Overwatch which came out over a year ago and still pushes out free updates once you buy the base game for $40. It makes sense for those games because they are constantly evolving. A singleplayer game though? A singleplayer $60 game that already has a gold edition and/or season pass?? Pure garbage.

Altairre

It really frustrates me when people say 'But you don't *need* to buy it, they are giving you an option to get it early'.

No. No they're not. They're putting in an artificial lock and then pretending that they're doing you a favour.

If you can *buy* an item immediately, than means there is no *gameplay* reason for it to be locked at all.

They're not doing it for the good of the game, they're not doing it so you enjoy the title more.

Also, there's something inherently weird about the idea that people are willing to pay *not to have play the game*.

Yeah, they've built this whole fucking system around giving these orcs a personality and different strengths/weaknesses so that these encounters get a somewhat special note. That's all gone if you just get these dudes out of loot boxes. I don't want that. It just seems such a weird thing to advertise. "Pay us money so that you won't have to deal with this core feature of our game."

Van Bur3n

Micro transactions and the RNG loot box bullshit are a plague on this industry now. And it's only the consumer to blame for letting it happen.

Nokterian

And i will buy it at a low price and game of the year edition. Warner Bros is truly the worst when it comes to DLC, they nickle and dime everything.

This puts me way off and the people shouting you don't have to buy it, it is still locking content behind something you have to pay for and i already paid 60 euro's. DLC can be good but it has to have value, this isn't value, sure you can unlock through the game but i expect long and boring grinds just to unlock that one thing.

Petrae

Micro transactions and the RNG loot box bullshit are a plague on this industry now. And it's only the consumer to blame for letting it happen.

Pretty much this. Why would publishers NOT do this when consumers are more than willing to buy? Loot boxes, DLC, and even paying for online play are all things that consumers have bought into and made acceptable.

I assume you can only earn the currency while being online? Or else how do they prevent people from giving themselves as much as they want with CE offline and then afterwards unlock/buy everything online?
The only possibility of that not conflicting with the singleplayer unlock-mechanics is making the game always online or having two unlock methods side by side. One strictly for offline play and you can never go online with it or your offline currency will be different/useless for online unlocks
(not that I really care about this game/wasn't planning on buying it anyway)

I assume you can only earn the currency while being online? Or else how do they prevent people from giving themselves as much as they want with CE offline and then afterwards unlock/buy everything online?
The only possibility of that not conflicting with the singleplayer unlock-mechanics is making the game always online or having two unlock methods side by side. One strictly for offline play and you can never go online with it or your offline currency will be different/useless for online unlocks
(not that I really care about this game/wasn't planning on buying it anyway)

So the last few assassin's creed games had things like this, I mean not loot boxes but pay to speed up your progress. They didn't make them online only and you were able to get trainers that still affected the number of those items you could have. Also with games like borderlands with the golden keys trainers/save editors were available. So unless they make it online only (Which I can't see them doing honestly. Look at how much crap Blizzard still gets for D3 and they have harbored FAR more good will then WB) you will be able to cheat these boxes or cheat around them very very early on if you wish.

Marcel

I'm out. The first game wasn't even that good aside from the integration of the Nemesis System. Braindead combat with no challenge where I had to basically force myself to get killed to see any Nemesis functions.

UrbanRats

I wonder if they will force online only for PC to combat this. It would really piss me and a whole bunch of others off if they did this.

How would that work? How does always online stop a trainer? What are they gonna do, ban me from the non-present online mode? Lock me out of the singleplayer game i purchased and wait for lawsuits?

eXistor

Zero surprises here (it's only gonna get worse and worse folks), but what kills me most is the simple fact that there are lootboxes at all. It dictates a type of exploitative game-design that I don't care for. It's not about the art of game-design anymore; it's just dangling carrots in front of the faces of people who don't know any better in the hope they'll get a few more bucks out of it. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's (completely unsurprisingly) successful, so of course we're seeing this more and more and it's not going away because the general public is fucking dumb.

If people weren't braindead lemmings blindly following what the conglomerates dictate, this would never be a thing, but hey "people buy into this shit, so why not exploit these masses and make extra cash while we're fucking them sideways?".

Anyway, not a fan. But the first game was one of the worst games I've ever played (no hyperbole: I'd rather play most technically broken games than this bland, generic, focus-tested p.o.s.), so it's not like I had any intention of buying it anyway.

Mzo

I will never give a dime to in-game purchases and will buy any game with excessive purchases like these used if they're somehow still worth playing.

Loot boxes are straight up gambling, sure wish we could cut whatever BS loophole lets them get away with it and just call it what it is.

DrBo42

I wasn't too upset when watching the stream or when writing the thread but the more I think about it the more angry I get. It's a game I actually want to play regardless of it's tonal problems or simplicity.

Had a good time with the first one and actually having some rpg systems in this and customization was enough for me to be pretty pleased. But this shit, man. There's no scenario where this isn't some greedy bullshit.

And watching them explain it on the twitch stream with "Oh but you can get all of this with Mirian! Woah, if I destroy the two cards from this crate I almost get the full price back! Bonus!" just makes me sad. No, the sheer inclusion of these boxes is designed to fuck me or whatever projected % of players your data says will pay for them. No matter what doublespeak is attempted. I should never be put in a position where I feel bad for thinking about buying your game.

Xater

WB is really continuing to tell me their games are not worth full price. Before it was shitty pre-order bonuses and bad DLC practices. Now it's single player F2P games.

Well then, I certainly wont be buying this.

Edit: People are saying theyre waiting on goty, do those editions usually get rid of stuff like this?

A very small percentage of the consumer base, which is why its so nefarious. Its a meager number of whales responsible for metastasizing these schemes.

So not only did they take the AC mechanics from Ubisoft, they also took the business model.
Yet another reason that AC moving to a leveled loot system with rarities isn't good news.

While increased MSRPs-- at least to $70-$80 per AAA game-- would seem like a way for publishers to call of the post-purchase revenue dogs... shareholders wouldn't sit too well with the post-purchase revenue stream going away. Sure, an extra $10-$20 per unit would be a nice initial shot in the arm, but it doesn't last. The economy of microtransactions persists and allows for a nice stream of revenue to continue for months after the first wave of sales has passed.

Bottom line is that this shit isn't ever going away. Pandora's Box is open and microtransactions are now the accepted norm. EA, TTWO, WBIE, ATVI, and UBI are all operating with this as the standard. Outside of GAF, consumers have not only welcomed this new standard, but they also sink millions of dollars into it.

It would not shock me if any MSRP price increase (which I think is inevitable) also maintains the microtransaction economy. Things will never return to how they were before console internet connectivity opened the door to increased revenue potential.

Yeah I'm not under any illusion here, the only way this will change is if the authorities step in and regulate this industry and it will have to happen eventually.

DrBo42

Meanwhile on the game's reddit page...

I think there's too much fear and anger over this market. First of all, it's a single player game. What someone else chooses to do with their game doesn't affect your game. Secondly, people play games differently. Some people want to take their time and get hours of enjoyment (I'm one of them) and others like to just speed through games as well as various styles between. Who cares if Johnny over here wants to spend his money getting an initial edge where Jake would rather take his time and work for finding the perfect Orc and such?

I for one will not be buying crates because I'd rather just get everything through playing the game. With that said, I really don't care what anyone else is doing with their money / game. Now, IF there were something exclusive to crates like an orc with a trait you could only get by buying gold or mithril chests for example, I'd be pissed and I'd be rioting with the rest of you.

I wish you guys that are throwing "greed" all over this would just stop. They're a company. They're offering a service for extras. You pay for extras in some way. I swear some of you would call any market greed :p People though the $300 Mithril version was greedy. It's just a physical collectors edition filled with goodies. Those statues aren't cheap. You want the extras, you pay. Nobody needs that version.

If your fears are realized and they come out with another Shadows of ___ Game full of paywalls and exlusive content based on RNG from a crate I'll be right there with you with fists in the air but there's nothing wrong with this completely optional system as it is currently. Also, stop with the fanboy/hater namecalling. Nobody can voice their opinions without being labeled anymore = (in regards to an earlier post).

Also, "If a developer has to assure you of this fact multiple times, this innocent sentence gets ominous real quick." they said this multiple times because everyone was freaking the fuck out about this system before (and after) it was shown. The community was acting like they had our families at gunpoint over crates. It's important to be blatantly clear about something when people were freaking out like they were (and still are).

Lucreto

Meanwhile on the game's reddit page...

I fully agree with that post. I was going to say basically the same thing but this was put more elegantly than I would have done.

I have the £200 version ordered and I won't be cancelling it over this non issue.

Mainstream media. Contacting your politicians. Filing lawsuits and or consumer complaints. One, some or all of those depending on where you live.

Besides that I recommend being made aware is extremely important and not let kids especially play these games.

AC had loot boxes?

it had microtransactions, but honestly they were done right. I didnt even find the menu for them till someone pointed it out. I was able to 100% the games easily without them. I believe it even gave u free money to spend on a few things that helped, but werent necessary, because i didnt even use the free money.

120v

admittedly i'm old and out of the loop with a lot of gaming trends, but this sort of stuff is just bonkers to me.

not so much the concept i just can't conceive why somebody would pay for XP hikes and such. when you already made a $60 down payment, it's single player, and you'll probably play the game for only a month.

whatever i'mma go yell at some clouds

It had microtransactions

it had microtransactions, but honestly they were done right. I didnt even find the menu for them till someone pointed it out. I was able to 100% the games easily without them. I believe it even gave u free money to spend on a few things that helped, but werent necessary, because i didnt even use the free money.

I spent 100+ hours in each AC game, except Syndicate that game was bad. I didn't know they had micro transactions.

mas8705

Not to make yet another comparison to the Assassin's Creed series, but if I recall correctly, last time they tried to pull this stunt, it ended poorly (and not just because of the "No Face" bug). Assassin's Creed Unity.

Top Bottom