• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Durante

I am trying to decide on my party now, do the non-magic ranged classes suck like someone mentioned earlier? I was thinking of going two melee, one caster and one non-magic ranged.

Edit: Did anyone grab the Uplay rewards? Pretty crappy to have a whole dungeon locked like that.
I got all except for the wallpaper. I had lots of Uplay points from Rayman Legends, which has really stupid rewards.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I played a bit over my lunchbreak and it didn't even dawn one me when I rolled my party that Runepriests use spears and as such can attack from the back row. My freemage has some kind of orb thing that shoots projectiles too so I can auto attack with all 4 of my party members.

God this stupid day needs to end already, must dig in.

_DrMario_

So in your quest log, what's the difference between having a circle, a dot or a star next to a quest?

edit: Backrow? Where can I put my mages in the backrow?

rybrad

I got all except for the wallpaper. I had lots of Uplay points from Rayman Legends, which has really stupid rewards.
Would love to hear your feedback on any of the rewards after you actually get to use them in the game. I can get them but if they end up being crappy I will just pass instead of Ubi seeing another person using that sweet system.

Sinatar

So in your quest log, what's the difference between having a circle, a dot or a star next to a quest?

edit: Backrow? Where can I put my mages in the backrow?

Your first 2 characters are in the front, second 2 are in the back.

Gothos

I think that there is no front row/back row. Party members are hit at random imho.

From other news, just found unique (relic) 2H Axe and my elf warrior advanced to Blademaster, w00t. The dungeon to get the required item for the promotion was fucking tough!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Doesn't the digital deluxe version still have M&MVI as part of it? Store page seems to indicate that.

That is taken from the package for the deluxe edition, which means they just haven't updated the store page to reflect it no longer being part of the deal.

Incredibly lame, I certainly wanted to pick it all up later on down the line when the price was lower and now I won't be able to get it. :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I played a bit over my lunchbreak and it didn't even dawn one me when I rolled my party that Runepriests use spears and as such can attack from the back row. My freemage has some kind of orb thing that shoots projectiles too so I can auto attack with all 4 of my party members.

God this stupid day needs to end already, must dig in.

I'm pretty sure there is no back row. They're all in the front, and you need to use abilities to concentrate enemy attacks on your tank.

EDIT: Where did you get the first two are front and last two are in the back info?

Sinatar

Hmm in the early access last 2 characters couldn't attack with melee weapons, so I assumed they were in a back row, guess not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That is taken from the package for the deluxe edition, which means they just haven't updated the store page to reflect it no longer being part of the deal.

Incredibly lame, I certainly wanted to pick it all up later on down the line when the price was lower and now I won't be able to get it. :(

Yep. You can verify this by looking at the sub itself rather than the app's store page. The Early Access sub is 29081, so those who bought in early need not worry.

Wolff

Never played a Might & Magic game before, but i really want to play this one. Will it be too much trouble to get into?

Also what games of the series you guys recommend?

Fugu

Damn, hype as shit for this game. Been playing the M&M games since I was 7, loved all of them except for 9.

Sinatar

Never played a Might & Magic game before, but i really want to play this one. Will it be too much trouble to get into?

I'd say Might & Magic 3 - 7 are all worth playing. The first 2 are a bit too antiquated for most people, 8 was kinda eh and 9 is a mess.

Durante

Would this run on a Surface Pro 2?

Anyone tried?
I tried it on my laptop. It has an i5-3317U @ 1.70GHz with HD4000 graphics. At low-mid settings and native 1080p, it seems perfectly playable, though not particularly pretty. So it should run fine on any i5 or i7 Haswell.

You can even enable on-screen arrow keys and play exclusively using touch (though I wouldn't want to). Hope this helps!

Cheech

Okay, I jumped into this. I got the deluxe edition from GMG for about ~18 eurobucks, not a bad deal. No steam code, that's the only minus.

Then again, I have this and M&M6 showing up on my uPlay account now. Nostalgy!

As you need uPlay anyway, it would have shown up there even if you'd bought it from Steam.

Cheech

The Steam version of M&MVI is completely DRM-free.

Ahhhh. I thought he was talking about MMX.

I had meant to mention that I need to tinker with my graphical settings a bit. I have most things maxed, and the frame rate seems smooth, but I am still getting this weird horizontal tearing effect in the middle of the screen even with Vsync turned on. Anyone have ideas?

I have an i5-760 (2.8 ghz), GeForce GTX 760, and 8 gigs of RAM. Should be enough to run the thing at full pop?

Downloading it onto my laptop now, c'mon Steam.....

I know Durante has already posted how well/badly his i5 laptop handles it with it's integrated Intel HD 4000 card, but I'll provide some performance impressions of my own, since I know there will be gaffers rocking some even older, lower performing PCs like my 4.5 year old Core 2 Duo laptop lol.

Hopefully it'll fare better, but native 1080p on a HD 4000 Integrated card gives me hope, seeing that my own laptop has a dedicated Mobility Radeon 4670 which is definitely better than that Intel chipset. If it doesn't I'll just have to jack down the resolution a notch lol, thank you Powerstrip for making custom 16:9 resolutions (like 1760x990) easy to do even on a ATI laptop card.

V_Arnold

A good comment from the comments section:

"Might & Magic 10: Legacy feels like a pleasant throwback to dungeon crawls of decades past, but its limited scope and combat-heavy focus might put off those pining for the freedom afforded by the more recent Elder Scrolls games, or the wordy character interaction of a Dragon Age."

Might & Magic 10: Legacy feels like a pleasant throwback to dungeon crawls of decades past, but its limited scope and combat-heavy focus might put off those pinning for the combos of the more recent Street Fighter games, or the platforming of Mario

In other words: no shit.

Durante

I know Durante has already posted how well/badly his i5 laptop handles it with it's integrated Intel HD 4000 card, but I'll provide some performance impressions of my own, since I know there will be gaffers rocking some even older, lower performing PCs like my 4.5 year old Core 2 Duo laptop lol.

Hopefully it'll fare better, but native 1080p on a HD 4000 Integrated card gives me hope, seeing that my own laptop has a dedicated Mobility Radeon 4670 which is definitely better than that Intel chipset. If it doesn't I'll just have to jack down the resolution a notch lol, thank you Powerstrip for making custom 16:9 resolutions (like 1760x990) easy to do even on a ATI laptop card.
I should say again that I ran it at a mix of low and medium settings, which really isn't pretty. If I had to play on this laptop I'd probably turn down the resolution more in order to increase some of the settings.

V_Arnold

I have to warn you, folks: in Act2, the performance tanked on my HD7770, the game crawls to a halt when moving around, ~20FPS is a gift when it is not suffering through some multisecond freezes. I closed all other stuff to make sure it is not me, switched between fullscreen/windowed, put it to all minimum, nope.

The area is full of badly looking trees, but shit.
In the meantime, performance is fine within dungeons.

Knurek

I should say again that I ran it at a mix of low and medium settings, which really isn't pretty. If I had to play on this laptop I'd probably turn down the resolution more in order to increase some of the settings.

I really wish Ubi would use Capy's Clash of Heroes art instead of Heroes VI assets. :\

SpokkX

I tried it on my laptop. It has an i5-3317U @ 1.70GHz with HD4000 graphics. At low-mid settings and native 1080p, it seems perfectly playable, though not particularly pretty. So it should run fine on any i5 or i7 Haswell.

You can even enable on-screen arrow keys and play exclusively using touch (though I wouldn't want to). Hope this helps!

Cool! Will def pick this up then. Touch controls seem interesting also

desverger

Ahhhh. I thought he was talking about MMX.

Well, technically he was talking about both, but I just thought I'd throw in that clarification. ;)

Yeah, I was talking about both. First, I was dismayed that I didn't get a steam code (I knew this), but seeing that M&MVI box art on my uPlay account made up for it :p

I wonder if I still have my original CD for M&MVI and the map somewhere..

vocab

My party is Orc barb/human crusader/elf druid/dwarf rune priest

I like it a lot so far. Performance seems fine for this kind of game. It's no grimrock levels of performance, but its fine for me. Rewarded for exploring, and having a fun time so far. Seem a bit mana starved on my druid, but I'm only level 2. Uplay is a non issue. This isn't ac2 uplay days. Everything works.

Question about the racials, Do you have to buy it/skill it? I'm not noticing them working or being present at all.

Fugu

I've put my main recommendations in bold.

Might and Magic I: Secret of the Inner Sanctum - Lots and lots of grinding. Very slow pace and lots of frustration due to poorly thought out save system. Still playable though. Definitely the one you want to play if you want the early RPG experience.
Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World - My memory of this game is very spotty.
Might and Magic III: The Isles of Terra - A really drastic shift for the game. Still at basically the forefront of tile-based dungeon crawlers, the game will feel very familiar if you're comfortable with those. There's a pretty big variety of items and classes (due to the prefix/suffix system), especially when put in context of when it was released. The interface is balls though, and it gets grating towards the end of the game. There are also some weird design decisions that will only be addressed much later in the series (such as the startling frequency with which items break and the relatively laborious process involved in repairing them.
Might and Magic IV and V: World of Xeen* - Great game. A huge variety of... everything. Variety is really the name of the game here, with a truly staggering number of items and environments. The mainline plot is rather long, and you have almost total freedom as to how you choose to approach it. Want to skip a long and involved quest by teleporting through a door? Go for it! It has basically the same gameplay of III, which is both good and bad: Good in that III's gameplay is really fun, and bad in that it imports the annoying interface and occasional odd design choices, which are exacerbated by the game's length.
Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven - Another great game and another big shift for the series. Most notably, there are no longer tiles, and the game is in real-time. There's also a skill system now and a venerable explosion of items. It's also totally massive, with a ton of dungeons, places to go, and quests. There's a lot of freedom too, although not quite of the quest-breaking kind seen in World of Xeen. The interface is pretty good now, and most of the design relics (like the aforementioned annoying item breaking mechanics) have been revised. It's tough to describe the difference in scale between VI and the previous games in the series but it's huge.
Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor - Remarkably similar to VI. Freedom is reined in somewhat in the name of a cohesive narrative, and there's an emphasis on big, game defining choices that didn't exist in VI. Fundamentally the same game though.
Might and Magic VIII: The Day of the Destroyer - Retains the base gameplay of VI but there are drastic changes underneath. For starters, you create only a single character and, from there, must recruit additional followers. This change ends up being mostly superficial due to the fact that there's no real character-based roleplaying (they don't speak) but it's worth mentioning nonetheless. The narrative is also far more linear, although the big decisions of VII remain. The fanbase is a little divided on this one, but I would personally put it on the same level of VII.
Might and Magic IX: The Writ of Fate - Don't play this game. It stinks.

* - IV and V can be combined into one game and can only be properly finished when combined.

My M&M recommendation summary basically amounts to whether you want a tile-based game or a real-time game. If you want a tile-based game, play World of Xeen. If you want real time, Might and Magic VI is your game.

EDIT: This guy does a pretty detailed summary of the series that's an interesting read. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/mightandmagic/mightandmagic.htm

I have to warn you, folks: in Act2, the performance tanked on my HD7770, the game crawls to a halt when moving around, ~20FPS is a gift when it is not suffering through some multisecond freezes. I closed all other stuff to make sure it is not me, switched between fullscreen/windowed, put it to all minimum, nope.

This is what I was worried about, performance was a huge problem in early access and I was hoping they'd optimize more for release. Blarg.

garath

I wish I could give mine away. I now own three physical copies of M&M6 and one digital one.

I'm not sure if I ever played it. I'm actually tempted by the deluxe version but now I'm afraid I wouldn't get it based on what JaseC is saying.

World of Xeen was just an amazing game that I played the daylights out of when I was younger.

Fugu

I'm not sure if I ever played it. I'm actually tempted by the deluxe version but now I'm afraid I wouldn't get it based on what JaseC is saying.

World of Xeen was just an amazing game that I played the daylights out of when I was younger.
It's actually worse than I thought. I have TWO digital copies so I am up to five total.

Play it. It expands on World of Xeen so well and the endgame is much better.

Damaniel

Banned
I noticed that the modding tools are available from the website, but I also notice that they require Unity Pro to use (sadly, the free version won't work). As a result, I don't expect a lot of third party mods. Anybody spending $2k+ on a game development engine is probably making their own games with it.

(On the other hand, I don't really care that much about modding support, as long as the game itself is worth playing for fans of the old-school dungeon crawling genre. From the reviews I've read, at least that much appears to be true.)

Moff

wondering if I should reroll my party, crusader seems to be much better than the blade dancer
also: push spirit first for casters? damage seems to be fine in the beginning, mana isnt

Gothos

Yep, indoors the game runs silky smooth but there are spots in the open world where the framarete goes to 10fps and the game seems to be loading assets in the background for like 4-5s. It's really annoying and shows that Unity is shit for making that kind of open world games.

BTW, anyone found Fire Magic Master in Seahaven?

Top Bottom