• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Durante

Cleared the first dungeon, found some nice loot, did a sidequest, bought some equipment, read some books and explored a bit on the world map. I'm liking this a lot.

Oh, and I hired a Goblin cook. Totally worth it.

Screenshots, since I love taking screenshots:

might-and-magic-x-legbqk7t.jpg

The insides of the buildings are sometimes pretty nicely designed.

might-and-magic-x-legouk6k.jpg

It's really open.

might-and-magic-x-leglkkeb.jpg

I know I already had one of these, but the book illustrations are great.

might-and-magic-x-leg6hkfl.jpg

No one can fault these caves for not being colorful enough.

Wolff

Thanks a lot Sinatar and Fugu for the information, it was really helpful. Gonna pick some of these games for sure. Will be picking X too soon, in the meanwhile i'm gonna read what everyone has to say about it.

vocab

Remember guys, you can talk to multiple people in buildings you just have to choose their portrait to get their options.

KKRT00

Cleared the first dungeon, found some nice loot, did a sidequest, bought some equipment, read some books and explored a bit on the world map. I'm liking this a lot.

Oh, and I hired a Goblin cook. Totally worth it.

Screenshots, since I love taking screenshots:

http://abload.de/img/might-and-magic-x-legbqk7t.jpg
The insides of the buildings are sometimes pretty nicely designed.

http://abload.de/img/might-and-magic-x-legouk6k.jpg
It's really open.

http://abload.de/img/might-and-magic-x-leglkkeb.jpg
I know I already had one of these, but the book illustrations are great.

http://abload.de/img/might-and-magic-x-leg6hkfl.jpg
No one can fault these caves for not being colorful enough.
Game looks good, i dunno why people complained about graphics.

Victrix

*beard*
Asking again, does anyone know if monsters respawn?

Someone was saying earlier they got screwed because they ran into tough enemies and could no longer level up/get more money for potions and gear because everything was dead up to that point.

Gothos

Asking again, does anyone know if monsters respawn?

Someone was saying earlier they got screwed because they ran into tough enemies and could no longer level up/get more money for potions and gear because everything was dead up to that point.

It was me I think. Yes, monsters don't respawn. I fared much better with new party when I understood more how certain stats/combat works. My new team is doing really well now and I was stuck before beceause I also missed one area to level up a bit. It wasn't my fault though :)

Durante

GAF, GAF, GAF, do I hire the goblin cook for HALF OF MY MONEY?
It's an unimportant sum of money, even after the first dungeon, and what he does is totally worth it. I say yes. He's the most useful of the hirelings I've found so far (admittedly not many).

Raven77

So is this game good or...?

Looks like a lot of the user reviews on Steam say its a terrible mobile-ruined mess.

epmode

It's an unimportant sum of money, even after the first dungeon, and what he does is totally worth it. I say yes. He's the most useful of the hirelings I've found so far (admittedly not many).

HIRED.

I picked up a random book in town and saw that it had three pages of somewhat dense lore. Then another one with a bunch of sea shanties. I kind of love RPGs, GAF.

garath

Store page still says M&M 6 is included. Maybe it was included free as part of the pre-order? I didn't pay attention to the pre-order price. Now there's two editions - standard for $25 and deluxe for $30.

garath

If the person likes old school M+M then I don't see why they wouldn't like this.
If the person doesn't like old school M+M then I don't see how they are a true RPG fan.

M+M6 is not part of the deal anymore on Steam.

You can get M+M1-6 on GOG for $10
http://www.gog.com/game/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition

I know ya'll keep saying that but it's still there on the store page. It's part of the deluxe edition, not the standard. I really don't see them stealth pulling it and then not updating the store page for the entire day.

Even UBI's store page shows it:

http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_...3200/Might-Magic-X-Legacy-Deluxe-Edition.html

Deluxe includes M&M 6, soundtrack and the DLC. Standard is just X.

edit: Gamersgate too:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MMXLDDE/might-and-magic-x-legacy-digital-deluxe-edition

rybrad

Looks like a lot of the user reviews on Steam say its a terrible mobile-ruined mess.
Not really sure how anyone could say this game is mobile-ruined, sounds like ridiculous hyperbole to me. So far the impressions from other GAFers has been mostly positive and the two reviews posted are ~7's which is not bad for a niche title on a low budget.

epmode

I mean, parts of the interface look like they could be touch friendly and the game doesn't look spectacular or anything... But this is an old-school CRPG through and through. They even have all sorts of keyboard shortcuts. I've been able to do practically everything without moving the mouse.

Gothos

Yep, the game is absolute blast to play :D Really surprised by the low Eurogamer score... It's at least 8/10 imho.

Victrix

*beard*
It was me I think. Yes, monsters don't respawn. I fared much better with new party when I understood more how certain stats/combat works. My new team is doing really well now and I was stuck before beceause I also missed one area to level up a bit. It wasn't my fault though :)

That's... kinda shitty. Think I'll stick to adventurer then, I don't want to get half way and find out I'm screwed.

Corpekata

Banned
Steam user reviews are rarely useful anyway. Only reason to venture into the Steam general community these days is for game fixes and even that's been largely supplanted by PCGamingWiki for me. Every game forum on Steam seems to be a putrid pile of negativity.

epmode

How long do you have to wait before reusing a fountain?

Steam user reviews are rarely useful anyway. Only reason to venture into the Steam general community these days is for game fixes and even that's been largely supplanted by PCGamingWiki for me. Every game forum on Steam seems to be a putrid pile of negativity.
Yeah, most Steam forums are awful. I only go there to report technical issues to developers and read up on patch notes and upcoming fixes.

GOG forums are a lot more friendly.

vocab

There is nothing mobile about it.

As someone who mildly played M&M I like it, my friend who played the shit out of m&M6 likes it a lot.

This is a M&M game. My expectations were met.

rybrad

I mean, parts of the interface look like they could be touch friendly and the game doesn't look spectacular or anything... But this is an old-school CRPG through and through. They even have all sorts of keyboard shortcuts. I've been able to do practically everything without moving the mouse.
I have no doubt you could play this with all touch (especially with the movement arrow option), but being able to do something and having design decisions based on that are totally different. Some people just lose their minds over graphics which is what most of the user complaints seem to devolve into. I love a good looking game as much as anyone else but MMX looks good enough for it to not bother me.
How long do you have to wait before reusing a fountain?
I believe I saw a thing that said one in-game day when I was browsing forums earlier.

V_Arnold

I can say it with stronger and stronger confidence that if you loved MM6, you are going to love this.

The main thing I am missing is the herbalism/alchemy/crafting part, the respawns and passage of long times. But the better structured dungeons and more "accessible" relics make up for it. My party can still get wrecked despite those, so..it is fair at the end.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
God damn, Luke in the bandit cave is wrecking my face, think I'll come back later for this bastich.

Oh and by the way...

This game is fucking awesome.

Yep game is awesome.

Is there a way to aim at stuff that is more than a few tiles away? I know you can click on them when they are up close but I can only seems to randomly lob stuff at them far away.

AaronB

Game looks great, but I'm very concerned it wouldn't run well (i3, 7770 and been having some blue screens; may need to reformat). I can live without high settings or great frame rate, but I don't want an unplayable mess.

For gameplay, comments so far seem to be that casters are very limited by mana and ranged is weak. I was wondering can any caster be a healer (hard to tell with the different magic schools)?

I was interested in a mix of classes with different grandmaster abilities, something like:
Dwarf defender (tank)
Elf warrior (dps, dual-wielding daggers or swords)
Human crusader (hybrid, backup tank and caster)
Orc Shaman (caster)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Game looks great, but I'm very concerned it wouldn't run well (i3, 7770 and been having some blue screens; may need to reformat). I can live without high settings or great frame rate, but I don't want an unplayable mess.

You'll be fine.

For gameplay, comments so far seem to be that casters are very limited by mana and ranged is weak. I was wondering can any caster be a healer (hard to tell with the different magic schools)?

Healing is focused on the 'Light' and 'Earth' schools of magic.

was interested in a mix of classes with different grandmaster abilities, something like:
Dwarf defender (tank)
Elf warrior (dps, dual-wielding daggers or swords)
Human crusader (hybrid, backup tank and caster)
Orc Shaman (caster)

That sounds like a reasonable team.

Alright folks, as I mentioned earlier, I finally had the time to give the game a test run on my ancient laptop.

Test platform:-

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1 GB @ 843/882 clocks
8 GB DDR3 RAM
WIndows 7 x64 SP1 Professional

Observations:-

The game itself defaulted to 1080p with medium/low settings during the first boot up. FRAPS indicated that the game was running at the cinematic 24 FPS, which is just below the threshold of acceptability on a rig this old.

By bumping down the resolution to 900p, lowering the detail distances and reducing shadows to the bare minimum, I managed to get a much better framerate (consistent 35+ FPS), and the game still looks decent enough for me. I could max out the Texture, Filtering and Terrain quality with barely a hit to performance, so I did that instead.

A cursory glance at GPUz while the game was running indicated that it was being used to its fullest capacity, which meant that the game was purely GPU limited. The game used around 400-500 MB VRAM with my chosen settings.

So for those with weaker C2D rigs like mine, it's safe to say that the game is most definitely playable. Just keep your expectations in check.

Screenshots (of settings and one of the opening area with the chosen settings):-

I didn't realize this even existed! I'm so excited. I'm a little bummed that I just sold my 780 Ti. I am stuck with a 580 lightning XE and I'm hoping I don't slow to a crawl outdoors. Anyone have performance data when running at 2560x1600? Any card's performance would be awesome to hear at that resolution, even just as a benchmark to estimate what I might see.

epmode

I'm eyeballing ~30 FPS in the first town with a 570 at 2560x1600. All details maxed but no AA. Dungeon performance is reportedly better.

The weird thing is that lowering resolution and details doesn't affect the framerate nearly as much as you'd expect. It probably has something to do with Unity choking on a huge game but who knows.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So I restarted and chose adventurer and the game was too easy. So I restarted again with warrior difficulty. The trick is to really abuse resting as much as possible. Only use mana potions in boss battles or tough fights.

Dezzy

I want to make my own party, but the problem doing that in games like this, is that it's hard to know what class combinations work since we've never played through it before. I mean, will the game require a dedicated tank and healer? Or can I just mix up whatever I want and still be able to finish the game?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not sure if I ever played it. I'm actually tempted by the deluxe version but now I'm afraid I wouldn't get it based on what JaseC is saying.

World of Xeen was just an amazing game that I played the daylights out of when I was younger.

Because Ubi didn't update the store page to reflect M&MVI no longer being offered there is a distinct possibility that it'll make another sub for the store and add M&MVI to the one currently being used (or maybe the decision to exclude it from the release version of the DDE will be reversed).

Edit:
I know ya'll keep saying that but it's still there on the store page. It's part of the deluxe edition, not the standard. I really don't see them stealth pulling it and then not updating the store page for the entire day.

Even UBI's store page shows it:

http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_...3200/Might-Magic-X-Legacy-Deluxe-Edition.html

Deluxe includes M&M 6, soundtrack and the DLC. Standard is just X.

edit: Gamersgate too:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MMXLDDE/might-and-magic-x-legacy-digital-deluxe-edition

The sub being sold on Steam for the DDE is 37055, as ascertained from the javascript link attached to the "Add to cart" button:

javascript:addToCart( 37055);

And as per SteamDB, M&MVI was removed:

3 days ago Removed Might & Magic VI from the package
Apps in this package
238750 Game Might & Magic X - Legacy
273490 DLC Might & Magic X - Legacy Deluxe Game Key

Presumably you still get it on Uplay upon activating your key, but as far as the Steam version itself is concerned, that ship has sailed, unless, as I noted above, Ubi either honours the lack of clarity on the store page or decides to reverse the decision to remove it from the release version of the sub.

kmfdmpig

What do you think of this party:
Bladedancer
Crusader
Freemage
Runepriest

It seems like a decent blend, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Top Bottom