• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

Ourobolus

Banned
This last boss man...dayum. I've come in there with 4 lives stocked and game over :(

First Form:

Get really close to him when he does his horizontal shots and just keep hammering away with your sword (Brandish). The projectiles won't hurt you, and you can get him down to a level you can absorb him quickly. Turn around after that and swing your sword at the projectiles that return.

When he raises the floor, climb to the highest point and jump over him. You can hit him a few times on the second one, but it's not necessary.

When he pops up in the middle, you can hit him a little bit after he first loses his shield.

Short version, the easiest way to damage him is during the first bit where he fires horizontally.

Second Form:

Use Battalion's weapon, firing toward the middle of his body when he comes towards you. Fire two of them, and that should make all of his parts open for absorption. Hit him a couple more times in the head as he passes by.

When he pops up in the middle, same strategy - fire two Battalion shots at his lower parts, absorb them, then jump up to the top left or right. Use the downward-angle shot to damage him, though it's sometimes hard to absorb him during this phase without being damaged.

When he climbs up the walls and the floor firing the beam, there's a small gap that you can dash through to avoid it. You can't damage him during this time.

Thanks to Hedgey for tips on the second part.

kdoll08

Not even gonna attempt to see if I can find my name.

If you know your mighty backer number from the forums then you can skip to your name or at least a block of 10,000 names. I did last night just to make sure they put it in right since there were so many "generous backers". Once I skipped to my section it took about 10 minutes to get to my name. I was about 5000 people into my section, so about 20 minutes per section. Not too bad.

I think the boss of the Radio Tower is actually worse than the Capitol level. It's a shame, as it is the only level I thoroughly enjoyed

His patterns are shit and half the time he recharges his health before you can do your stupid boost on him, and the other half of the time your boost takes you off the edge.

Fuck this game

Ourobolus

Banned
I think the boss of the Radio Tower is actually worse than the Capitol level. It's a shame, as it is the only level I thoroughly enjoyed

His patterns are shit and half the time he recharges his health before you can do your stupid boost on him, and the other half of the time your boost takes you off the edge.

Fuck this game

With the regular blaster, yes, he is annoying to absorb. With Countershade's weapon, he's a piece of cake.

Capitol Building done. Not as bad as I expected but its still bad - mostly boring level design (walk forward, now avoid lasers) and make sure you don't miss Shade else he'll disappear and you'll be subjected to the level for even longer. And then it turns out he's a pushover of a boss, which isn't really that bad.

I'm now working through the time attack missions, and I realised that the underwater level is pretty badly designed at the beginning since once you enter the large open area underwater, you can continue to dash as you fall to completely avoid the enemies until you reach the first ladder. But I did notice that the time attack levels seemed more fun since no one talked (bar the bosses yelling when they attack), without the constant interruptions the levels seemed to flow better/faster and at points without the dialog blocking the bottom of the screen it was easier to see certain things.

With the regular blaster, yes, he is annoying to absorb. With Countershade's weapon, he's a piece of cake.

Counter shade makes him take damage faster, it does nothing to prevent him from flying off screen and recharging his health before you can boost through him. Or any of the other shit I said in my post.

Ourobolus

Banned
Counter shade makes him take damage faster, it does nothing to prevent him from flying off screen and recharging his health before you can boost through him. Or any of the other shit I said in my post.

Yes and no. The only time you should shoot him is when he does his back and forth across the screen with the camera behind him. Get on the opposite ledge, shoot the weapon at the camera, and it'll ricochet and hit him. 3 quick shots, and absorb. Repeat.

Then what's the complaint? Do the damage and absorb him at that point. Ignore him the rest of the fight.

The complaint is the other stuff in my post. Nothing you said accounts for the dash sending you off a cliff, or a bomb explosion making your character invisible and falling off a cliff, or him flying away when he is blinking purple so he recharges his health. I didn't think I actually had to rewrite that

Also reflecting off that little thing can be missed and if you do that a couple times you're out of ammo

In fact, that's not even the best way to hit him. The best way is to shoot right or left at the platform when he is just under it, it bounces down and hits him even if he isn't on screen.

RedFox85

What's the recommended boss order? I keep messing up Pyroman's attacks and getting hit when I shouldn't :V

Pyroman is easy if you recognize the visual and audio cues for what hes about to do. If he goes down into the football stance he is going to do the trailing flames run just prepare to jump over them. One of the phrases he uses tells you he is going to do a belly flop the other tells you he is going to do the flame charge + stop and blow up just pay attention to what he says on each and you should be good.

Anothe tip for this boss is don't give him allot of distance keep only a short distance between you and him, the reason I say this is when he goes to do the belly flop where he decides to jump is triggered by his proximity to you.. so you want him to be close to you so he does it and you can then dash away quickly. This will also apply to his run at you and explode move, it's proximity based so just stay close to him even though I know the instinct is to keep distance it makes the fight a cake walk imo.

Ourobolus

Banned
The complaint is the other stuff in my post. Nothing you said accounts for the dash sending you off a cliff, or a bomb explosion making your character invisible and falling off a cliff, or him flying away when he is blinking purple so he recharges his health. I didn't think I actually had to rewrite that

Also reflecting off that little thing can be missed and if you do that a couple times you're out of ammo

My point is that those complaints are irrelevant if you're hitting him off the camera.

The first part about you dashing - I don't see the problem. Dash and land on solid ground.
Bomb explosions - these can be dodged easily.
Flying away - if you hit him three times quickly off of the camera, this doesn't happen.

I don't know how you're missing. It's a straight shot from the opposite platform to the camera. You don't have to jump or anything. He even flies back a third time if you didn't get all three the first time, and you can even hit him dead on if you missed once.

In fact, that's not even the best way to hit him. The best way is to shoot right or left at the platform when he is just under it, it bounces down and hits him even if he isn't on screen.

If you do that, then he flies away and you can't absorb him. Not the most ideal time.

silva1991

This game took me by surprise. Easily the most fun game(gameplay wise) after Ratchet and Clank and DS3 for me.

What's the recommended boss order? I keep messing up Pyroman's attacks and getting hit when I shouldn't :V

Pyro as a second boss i pure BS hard

check out the advice before entering any level to see which boss ability you gained is good against any level's boss .

RedFox85

Honestly Narpas you shouldnt be dashing off of the cliff.. you have infinite air dashes and you can change direction on a dime I don't see how you are managing to do this to a point where it is annoying. When he says "boss shoots beck" hang off the ledge in the middle on the opposite side. When he says "Update FOUND HIM" go to the opposite platform and fire your buster repeatedly as he swoops, I found the time he was in "regen mode" generous in proportion to how long you have to dash him.

Eusis

Odd then. It ran like shit whenever there was burning flame effect on my 970 at 2560x1440.
This is probably more for lower end cards (on 960m, and there was a patch I believe) but I turned effects and shadows to medium and it's been a consistent 60 far as I can tell. Might be something goes into overkill on high for one of those and NORMAL computers can run great below that.

My point is that those complaints are irrelevant if you're hitting him off the camera.

The first part about you dashing - I don't see the problem. Dash and land on solid ground.
Bomb explosions - these can be dodged easily.
Flying away - if you hit him three times quickly off of the camera, this doesn't happen.

I don't know how you're missing. It's a straight shot from the opposite platform to the camera. You don't have to jump or anything. He even flies back a third time if you didn't get all three the first time, and you can even hit him dead on if you missed once.

If you do that, then he flies away and you can't absorb him. Not the most ideal time.

You can't see how you can fall in a hole if you dash at him when he is flying above the tiny central platform? You can't see how someone doesn't dodge 100% of bombs? And if you miss the first shot then he might be at the end of the cycle when he flashes purple. It's actually way easier to get him when he's flying vertically, since you land on the side platform without having to worry about clipping into the camera and falling in a hole. I'm not missing anything, I beat him, but it was zero fun (like at least one section of every level in this game).

This is pointless though, enjoy your professional MN9 career. Sorry for being silly enough to say that this game is rough and imbalanced.

Ourobolus

Banned
You can't see how you can fall in a hole if you dash at him when he is flying above the tiny central platform? You can't see how someone doesn't dodge 100% of bombs? And if you miss the first shot then he might be at the end of the cycle when he flashes purple. It's actually way easier to get him when he's flying vertically, since you land on the side platform without having to worry about clipping into the camera and falling in a hole. I'm not missing anything, I beat him, but it was zero fun (like at least one section of every level in this game).

This is pointless though, enjoy your professional MN9 career. Sorry for being silly enough to say that this game is rough and imbalanced.

Don't get all defensive. I'm trying to help you out here, not be a dick.

Yes, all of those things CAN happen. But lots of things CAN happen in any fight. The point is that these things are avoidable, so you should do what you can to avoid them.

Ok, you missed a shot during one iteration. You can try again during the next one.
There's always at least one safe spot for the bombs. If you stand in the center, you have enough time to make a decision if it is to the left, the right, or staying still.

Jazzem

Will post more involved impressions when I'm done, but having played through most of it...I'd give it a 7/10.

It suffers from some astonishingly cheap level design at times and the aesthetic certainly isn't quite there, but honestly I still find the game charming and generally enjoyable. Though granted I'm playing with nine lives, which is a pretty lousy way to battle the game's dodgy balance.

Rymuth

That's odd, I did Pyro first and found him super easy with my blaster.

After that, I just skimmed through the stages - when I see a stage with the new menu labeled 'advice' that's basically where I'm supposed to go next.

Like posters said, use Pyro's voice as a cue. Whether he explodes or just charges, he has a unique cry for each.

Ourobolus

Banned
That's odd, I did Pyro first and found him super easy with my blaster.

After that, I just skimmed through the stages - when I see a stage with the new menu labeled 'advice' that's basically where I'm supposed to go next.

Like posters said, use Pyro's voice as a cue. Whether he explodes or just charges, he has a unique cry for each.

Yeah, he only has three moves (plus the one explosion at 50% health):
- Dash across the screen (jump over)
- Dash, then jump across the screen (go under)
- Dash at you, then explode when near (bait him to explode then dash away)

Bah, the highway level in the challenge mode (time attack) is a bastard to complete. I couldn't find any health ups (only the one energy tank) and its so easy to fall off the stage. Managed it in the end though, only got the Capitol Building left (yay...) The rest of the challenge time attack levels were fun, didn't have any problems with any of the other levels.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Finally got my Wii U copy... And I wish I had gotten it on PC instead. Crikey the game runs badly. When I miss jumps and plummet to my death due to framerate drops and stuttering, and then have to go through a 30 second loading screen, it becomes quickly unfun.

Other than that, it... just sort of is. To be fair the last three Mega Man games I played before this were X5, X6 and X8, so anything was likely to be an improvement over X5/X6. However this game just feel really lifeless and empty. There are parts that show promise of a good Mega Man-like game, but they just sort of turn up between screens of absolute mediocrity. I'll keep playing. I don't think it's the lows of the lowest Mega Man has gotten, yet.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Gaffers, is this game as bad as the critics say?
I don't think so. It's not a masterpiece, but I'm enjoying it much more than the lower end Mega Man games (Mega Man 1, Mega Man X7, Mega Man X8) and it's about on par with the middle of the road games (Mega Man 4, Mega Man 8). That is just my opinion though. The bosses all feel unique and are fun to fight. The dialogue is about Mega Man 8 levels of cheesiness and I hate the Fat Olimar doctor, but the story is serviceable for the kind of game it is.

Ugh. The last boss is driving me crazy.

I can get passed the first form without getting hit once. But, as soon as the second form's head starts going at me after destroying the rest of it's body I cannot jump over it without getting hit. Did anyone happen to find the sweet spot to time the jump? I cannot do it!

Rymuth

Ugh. The last boss is driving me crazy.

I can get passed the first form without getting hit once. But, as soon as the second form's head starts going at me after destroying the rest of it's body I cannot jump over it without getting hit. Did anyone happen to find the sweet spot to time the jump? I cannot do it!

2nd form

Phase 1
1) Use Batallation's weapon
2) Keep firing and taking out two parts at a time
3) When all's left is the head, stand still, jump and dash forward when it's coming at you

Phase 2
1) Make sure you're standing on the second platform (not the platform closest to the boss)
2) Keep firing and exploding Batallion's attack
3) After several successive blasts, the entire body should be ripe for assimilation. Just dash forward to assimilate, keep going and then jump on the highest platform. Let the boss do her thing

Rinse and repeat

Final phase
Nothing we can do to help you here, this is strictly down to memorization.

2nd form

Phase 1
1) Use Batallation's weapon
2) Keep firing and taking out two parts at a time
3) When all's left is the head, stand still, jump and dash forward when it's coming at you

Phase 2
1) Make sure you're standing on the second platform (not the platform closest to the boss)
2) Keep firing and exploding Batallion's attack
3) After several successive blasts, the entire body should be ripe for assimilation. Just dash forward to assimilate, keep going and then jump on the highest platform. Let the boss do her thing

Rinse and repeat

Final phase
Nothing we can do to help you here, this is strictly down to memorization.

Done. Beat it! Thanks!

onionfrog

Are there not any checkpoints in countershade's stage?

I spend ten minutes tracking that boss down though the level, then die to some instagib purple lightning and have to start over from the very beginning?

This is some shit!

bumpkin

First Form:

Get really close to him when he does his horizontal shots and just keep hammering away with your sword (Brandish). The projectiles won't hurt you, and you can get him down to a level you can absorb him quickly. Turn around after that and swing your sword at the projectiles that return.

When he raises the floor, climb to the highest point and jump over him. You can hit him a few times on the second one, but it's not necessary.

When he pops up in the middle, you can hit him a little bit after he first loses his shield.

Short version, the easiest way to damage him is during the first bit where he fires horizontally.

Second Form:

Use Battalion's weapon, firing toward the middle of his body when he comes towards you. Fire two of them, and that should make all of his parts open for absorption. Hit him a couple more times in the head as he passes by.

When he pops up in the middle, same strategy - fire two Battalion shots at his lower parts, absorb them, then jump up to the top left or right. Use the downward-angle shot to damage him, though it's sometimes hard to absorb him during this phase without being damaged.

When he climbs up the walls and the floor firing the beam, there's a small gap that you can dash through to avoid it. You can't damage him during this time.

Thanks to Hedgey for tips on the second part.
Thanks for the tips! I was trying to get through him using just the standard blaster and I was having consistent success getting past phase 1, but I kept getting spanked at phase 2, usually when it does that thing where it's in the center and raining purple sludge.

silva1991

Are there not any checkpoints in countershade's stage?

I spend ten minutes tracking that boss down though the level, then die to some instagib purple lightning and have to start over from the very beginning?

This is some shit!

Don't think so

it's really annoying.

Tansut

So I beat the game with Beck tonight. It was made much easier after figuring out that you basically have two full health bars at your disposal. I don't think the game really explained that you have those items very well, and if it did I didn't remember it.

But anyway, I've tried a couple times to do some levels as Ray and it just feels outright impossible. Getting through the stage is fine but I legitimately don't have any idea how you're supposed to kill these bosses without getting hit at all. Do I just suck with her?

Lijik

I feel like Im the only one who actually likes Dr. Sanda.
Avi, him and the CherryDyn president are the only characters who really nail the Saturday Morning Cartoon cheese for me while everyone else are varying shades of okay.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
mightyguidezexjm.jpg
This is very helpful, quoting for new page

Teknoman

My problem with the music is that I haven't heard more than a few seconds of it because the volume of it is so low that it disappears once the action starts!

So was I supposed to get the RAY DLC with the PS3 crossbuy copy? Because it wants me to pay $5 to get it for that version, even though I have the dlc downloaded for PS4.

Turn down the SFX and the voices down to below half, and music to max. Thats the only solution i've got. Unfortunately MN9 isnt the only game this generation to have a low music volume mix.

Toxi

Banned
Watching videos of the Ray DLC, it feels like both her boss fight and her gameplay fit the game's design better than the main game content.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Beaten five bosses now. I really regret getting this on Wii U. Seismic's stage, I swear to god, drops to 10fps if I shoot just a couple of explosive weapons off. I've died too many times from the game skipping frames and not reading my inputs correctly than I have from the level design. And those loading times!

I will actively tell anybody who is still wanting to get this to steer clear of the Wii U version.

Top Bottom