• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

Oneself

Today I got stuck on geometry while dashing and killed since I couldn't move, and saw the same thing happen to an enemy. Definitely not a 7.
I got stuck on geometry in Doom (PS4) yesterday, I had to quit and restart. Does it make it a bad game?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
2D plane, short, super-linear games with geometry trap bugs VS an AAA budget full 3D game with the same...

It's much easier to justify annoyance and ridicule at a game of this level of simplicity versus a Doom or Fallout.

Not saying it's right, just that people's expectations here aren't entirely unreasonable.

I noticed the shipped version is through Unreal Engine. I recall the game was being built in Unity originally, so they must have switched engines halfway through. Probably lends to why the game was largely delayed.

Makes me feel that GAF is full up with 12 year olds.
Hey now, the negative reception isn't an inherent GAF thing, it's generally spread around the internet at the moment. And I wouldn't say it's an age thing, either. Having gone through the Megamans recently for the Legacy Collection, I think people just have rose-tinted glasses on for the Classic series, as this game really isn't that different from its inspiration. It even expands it on it in a fun way, and although it isn't better than what I've played of the X series, it even manages to one-up those games in its pace.

2D plane, short, super-linear games with geometry trap bugs
That's the first time I've seen someone mention getting stuck into a wall/floor in this game since it launched, and I doubt they'll experience it again. Honestly, I went through the entire game and never experienced any bugs, so I think it must've been an incredibly specific incident. I'd love to hear if others who played it have gotten stuck in geometry, though. I'm just going from what I've heard from others so far, and if it is or becomes common, I can agree with your post.

onionfrog

I'm getting pretty annoyed with the part of the prison stage where you need to dash though that gap with spikes on the ceiling and the floor.

Shades of MMX6 level design there. :(

Otherwise, I'm really digging
playing as call in this level tho.
It's a nice twist on the gameplay.

Ishida

Banned
I'm getting pretty annoyed with the part of the prison stage where you need to dash though that gap with spikes on the ceiling and the floor.

You mean the one with the floating platform between two rows of instant death spikes? You can grab onto the ledge of the platform and ride it to the other side, no need to dash.

Finally started playing it. Other than the awful art style and graphics as well as the unnecessary cut scene stuff...I'm not having a bad time with it. I actually think the VAs are decent in a cheesy way.

Maybe the design will get worse later on but I'm not really too doom and gloom about this. It's just kinda alright. Which I've said before about other games I've Kickstartered or even just normally. I certainly don't think it's shit. Just low budgety, which could've been avoided with a better art style.

Crocodile

Watching Maximillion pretty much get everything wrong about this game and Inafune and blasting it at 6000+ people is really frustrating :(

Giolon

So, by and large the Wii U version has been fine, but so far I've reached two places in stages where the performance issues actively killed me due to the game hitching for a split second and then having the game state skip over that moment that I never got to see or react to -

Pyro's stage at the end where you have to cross chasms while dodging falling fireballs and falling smokestacks at the same time.

The Mines stage where you have to run from the drill avoiding electric currents, and also some of the places where you have to drop and then dash to avoid landing in electricity.

mrmickfran

In terms of classic series

Mega Man 3 > 2 > 9 > 4 > 5 > 10 > Mighty No 9 > 7 > 8 > 6

In terms of X series

X1 > 4 > 2 > 5 > 3 > 8 > Mighty No 9 > X6 > X7

Yes, I hate Mega Man 6 that much.

In terms of classic series

Mega Man 3 > 2 > 9 > 4 > 5 > 10 > Mighty No 9 > 7 > 8 > 6

In terms of X series

X1 > 4 > 2 > 5 > 3 > 8 > Mighty No 9 > X6 > X7

Yes, I hate Mega Man 6 that much.
What? Megaman 6 is perfectly serviceable. It's certainly better than MM8. You're talking nonsense, young (wo)man!

MM6 is forgettable af

shit robot masters
shit music
shit levels
It has the coolest use of Rush ever and since and shit music? Not everything is an absolute. There's room for nuance on the Internet.

And yeah. Talk about forgettable, you forgot OG Megaman. I don't blame you tho. It is pretty meh.

I like Megaman 6 a lot. I liked the rush powers, the alternate exits to stages, and yes, the music. I certainly like it more than Mighty No. 9, which I can't even bother playing the last stage and finishing because I've seen the footage of that dire final boss battle! Besides, Mighty No. 9 is much more similar to the Megaman X series, I think that's a fairer comparison. The Megaman X game I secretly hate is X5. Everyone hates X6 and X7, but I think X5 is my least favourite. X5 makes Mighty No. 9 look like a masterclass in level design in comparison. I'd say X>X2>X4>X3>Mighty No. 9 = X8>X6>X7>X5. But really, the last 3 are so bad that who cares what order you place them.

Durante

I find it hilarious that it won't render in fullscreen mode on my VR beast rig. I have to play it in a tiny window.
That's strange. Both the fullscreen modes in the game (it offers true fullscreen and borderless) work perfectly well at arbitrary resolutions for me. I thought it was a lot better in that aspect than most japanese releases :p

I like all the Mega Man games, at least as far as the original series is concerned.

Even the Game Boy games were stellar. Except for the second one, that one was just weird.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So got my code, no thanks from Comcept as I had to find it myself, anyway the game is just okay with Nightshade level being so boring and just terrible. But the music is just awful as I can barely hear it, plus the game stutters at times which screws me over when jumping and the load time is still bad after the patch.

Also been skipping the story and turned off voice as that was not why I originally backed the game.

Danji

Got the platinum today. I hate this game. I've had so many bullshit deaths. Buttons not respond because the game stops running well. Geometry crush deaths nowhere near things that should kill me. Hitting down shortly after the dash button can sometimes (SOMETIMES) interrupt your sideways dash to send you plummeting down. Crashes.

Even better, the strategy guide they gave us backers was missing a sprinter goal in a level so I spend about an hour making sure it wasn't a save file specific task before looking it up on Reddit and cross-referencing the whole guide.

Anyone defending this game is crazy. A game of this style should never run anywhere near this bad. It ruins timing, hit detection (you probably didn't notice that enemies can ignore hits due to framerate) and general mechanical flow. Even aside from all of the above, the graphics are bad, the levels are x6 levels of cheap bullshit, the story sucks, and the fundamental mechanics are terrible in concept. A platformer where you sometimes run faster and bullets pierce due to powers that are inside certain enemies? Stumbling in a high-speed platformer? This thing is terrible and I blame comcept for 90% of it. They set out to give you transformations with every boss and about halfway through ran out of ideas. They failed at everything they intended to do here. Also the music is unremarkable as all get out.

Oh, and 6 is a great game. 3, 6, 5, and 2 are the best normal number entries.

There are only 2 questions left in my mind. Is x6 better or worse than MN9 and is Blade Kitten better or worse than MN9.

Tizoc

Got the platinum today. I hate this game. I've had so many bullshit deaths. Buttons not respond because the game stops running well. Geometry crush deaths nowhere near things that should kill me. Hitting down shortly after the dash button can sometimes (SOMETIMES) interrupt your sideways dash to send you plummeting down. Crashes.

Even better, the strategy guide they gave us backers was missing a sprinter goal in a level so I spend about an hour making sure it wasn't a save file specific task before looking it up on Reddit and cross-referencing the whole guide.

Anyone defending this game is crazy. A game of this style should never run anywhere near this bad. It ruins timing, hit detection (you probably didn't notice that enemies can ignore hits due to framerate) and general mechanical flow. Even aside from all of the above, the graphics are bad, the levels are x6 levels of cheap bullshit, the story sucks, and the fundamental mechanics are terrible in concept. A platformer where you sometimes run faster and bullets pierce due to powers that are inside certain enemies? Stumbling in a high-speed platformer? This thing is terrible and I blame comcept for 90% of it. They set out to give you transformations with every boss and about halfway through ran out of ideas. They failed at everything they intended to do here. Also the music is unremarkable as all get out.

There are only 2 questions left in my mind. Is x6 better or worse than MN9 and is Blade Kitten better or worse than MN9.

Blade kitten got an expansion for its pc release. They reworked the game for its steam release or somethin i think

mrmickfran

Seems mega man 1 is even more forgettable, you didn't even put it on the list :p

It has the coolest use of Rush ever and since and shit music? Not everything is an absolute. There's room for nuance on the Internet.

And yeah. Talk about forgettable, you forgot OG Megaman. I don't blame you tho. It is pretty meh.

I despise MM1, but I completely forgot to list it :p

But you are wrong. MM6 is the best NES Mega Man. P.S.: You lost me when you said the music and bosses are shitty. 6 > 3 > 2 > Others.

6 better than 2 and 3? Madness, blasphemous!

MM6's music is great, dude.

Only like 2 notable songs: Tomahawk Man and Mr. X stage.

ElfArmy177

Was browsing steam horror games when I saw this today....

R18hPqs.jpg

Congrats on the plat! To be honest, I'm still waiting in my ps4 version in hopes of a guide, but if you don't mind me asking, what guide for backers do you speak of?

Mr-Joker

Banned

Agreed, I was in Avi stage and the game would stutter while I was jumping from platform to platform causing me to die. Plus the fact that the Wii U version has a long load time just shows that the game really needed polishing.

They fucked up by deciding to port all console version themselves and all on the same day.

Kitoro

How's the co-op in this game?

Is it simple enough to boot up the game for the first time and just jump into co-op? Thanks!

akira28

I got stuck in the geometry of Elite Dangerous, a game thats been out for 2 years and is in 2.1.34.234 phase right now.

People are going to be really acute in their criticisms because they're not happy. That's not objective opinions, that's pissed off supporters for whatever reason. Thin line between love and hate and 60 to 100 dollars for a 20 dollar game.

SkylineRKR

Being able to get stuck in a 3D environment isn't as bad as getting stuck in a 2D platform game, I got stuck in Bloodborne once.. reloaded the game and ended up standing right next to the piece I got stuck in. I didn't have to start anything over. Its annoying but 3D worlds are more complex.

The same goes for framedrops, its worse in a 2D game that deals with quick response gameplay and pit falls. And MN9 looks like shit to boot, it shouldn't run so unstable.

Top Bottom