• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

Rymuth

VByaRGO.png

Hell Darkness, my old friend

KingBroly

Banned
Inafune just said they underestimated everything and made the mistake of trying to develop all versions at the same time instead of making a base version and porting to the others later. 10 versions is more than even Capcom's ever done at once.

I don't think I've ever heard of any dev team doing that.

Crocodile

The one thing that will get me to respect them is if they acknowledge the lack of transparency with its backers. The tone deaf trailer isn't on them, that's on someone else isn't it? So that's my biggest hangup right now.

The trailer was all on Deep Silver. Even the president of Inticreates was MAD about that trailer.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Also, we still need to learn about the terrible art direction. They never got to touch on that yet. You were bringing it up but then got sidetracked.

The trailer was all on Deep Silver. Even the president of Inticreates was MAD about that trailer.

Thought so.

Arkanius

Despite this being a huge disaster I'm super pumped to play this. History in the making.

Do you guys think BTS will have cheap keys ?

Teknoman

What would be cool:

If this turns out like Final Fantasy XIV, and they issue a GIANT patch for the game that upgrades everything lol.

Cmagus

So the issues basically come down to poor planning and under estimating the project as a whole. It seems like most of the time went to juggling all the different platforms. I mean it's nice he's being honest like this but that doesn't excuse the lack of communication. Why couldn't they be honest like this if those were the issue they were having? Sure some would be pissed but at least it would have been something and I think if they were this honest people would probably have been more forgiving.Instead they just went months with not even a word leaving people to stir and guess at what's going on which really hurt this project and due to their lack of communication people stopped caring.

At this point the best he can hope for is to sell a really good Might No. 9 sequel via funding from a traditional publisher. I think that's the only way to salvage the IP.

From the stream it sounds like a lot of attention went into the fact that this is an IP he owns independently, which is great, but is it really that valuable if at the end of the day the IP itself is tainted with such a bad reputation?

JohngPR

The one thing that will get me to respect them is if they acknowledge the lack of transparency with its backers. The tone deaf trailer isn't on them, that's on someone else isn't it? So that's my biggest hangup right now.

That trailer is on Deep Silver. The CEO of Inticreates wasn't very happy with it.

khaaan

rockman zx should do the OT if there's "full" one, I already half associate threads about the game with him.

I originally wanted a Vita key but had enough of waiting so when the surveys came out I went for PS4. I kind of wish I had a Steam key though =(

I would go for PC, but I tried running KI on my PC and, I don't use this word often, but it was unplayable. I don't expect much from Recore or Scalebound.

Really? What was the issue you were having? Killer Instinct was one of the most stable PC launches MS had, the biggest problem at launch was the game breaking if you had a monitor displaying at anything other than 60hz. Aside from that it ran fine and I recall people from the OT being successful with all sorts of older builds.

Inafune just said they underestimated everything and made the mistake of trying to develop all versions at the same time instead of making a base version and porting to the others later. 10 versions is more than even Capcom's ever done at once.

wow this seems crazy

dity

This stream is bizarre. Inafune seems so frustrated.

honestly just take it. you did everything right when you got your refund and if they still sent you a code it's on them

if you don't redeem it give it away. it's not like they will reuse the code if it's not redeemed

Ok cool. I think I might just do that then. I'll give the game a fair go.

he already wants to expand the IP lol

I have no idea why they thought working on 10 ports at the same time is a sane idea. Well, it still doesn't explain how the 7 day WIP looks better than the final product.

So what we've learned today, kids? Don't try to make a game for every piece of gaming hardware ever
unless you are Tt Games and the game in question is LEGO

Arkanius

he already wants to expand the IP lol

I have no idea why they thought working on 10 ports at the same time is a sane idea. Well, it still doesn't explain how the 7 day WIP looks better than the final product.

Because they had to dumb down the game to run on a 3DS

Crocodile

What I asked in chat = QUESTION & FEEDBACK: Poor communication was what hurt this Kickstarter project the most. Why did you guys go quiet so often and for so long? Why did you try to hide the delays? I think that hurt your reputation more than anything. :(

I doubt they see it though :(

Was there an interview or something recently where Inafune talks about the issues they ran into?

Is is happening right now!

The level designs are not fun. Come on an ice level with shitty ice physics? terrible. Same with the electricity level. Got to the turbines where you have to crouch dash. Immediately died trying to do that. And then you only ever have two lives and gotta deal w/ the beginning of the stage bullshit again. Outside of that the game runs smooth on my computer except this weird lag in the ice level.

It is not easy to go on live camera and be frank about the faults of your self, team and project. Comcept, Inti, Judd and Inafune should be commended.

The game has issues. They know it. They admitted their faults and will keep moving forward. Yeah, they received a lot of money. But, hey, game development isn't easy.

My biggest problem with that trailer was how they didn't really understand their audience.

Most backers or people interested in this game were likely fans of the old classic cartoonish or anime designs that the era was known for. A great deal of then are likely to have a soft spot for anime. It's not something that'll affect sales to a great degree but may leave a bad impression.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
What I asked in chat = QUESTION & FEEDBACK: Poor communication was what hurt this Kickstarter project the most. Why did you guys go quiet so often and for so long? Why did you try to hide the delays? I think that hurt your reputation more than anything. :(

I doubt they see it though :(

Is is happening right now!

SPAM IT!

This is the real question.

Edit: God damnit. A Smash Bros. question. As if Mega Man wasn't breaking enough walls down to get into Smash.

They should've just used WiiU as a base, made sure the PC/Xbone/PS4 versions were just prettier look versions of the WiiU base, and then think about whether or not 3DS and Vita versions would be financially feasible.

If they wanted the game to look better, they should have followed Bloodstained's example and used the most advanced platforms as the base (PC/PS4/Bone) and then down-ported to other platforms. 10 platforms is rather crazy though, I don't even think Ubisoft during their height of having Assassin's Creed on literally everything managed 10 platforms at once.

Let's not forget that Bloodstained is also going to be on Wii U and Vita but those platforms are down-port targets, and in the case of these platforms, they aren't even doing it themselves but retained Armature to do it because it requires a port of Unreal Engine 4, which isn't even supported on Wii U and Vita, to those platforms. This lets them focus on their primary versions of the game and not worry about developing for every platform at once.

Hasney

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237191.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

1hFaqwB.png
Mighty No. 9 plus Retro and Ray DLC PSN (Europe) -- MB-78CC7783FCA069CB - Taken by Linkstrikesback. 27 entrants total.

t1466580239z1.png

May as well take out the trash.

Cryo

Neo Member
I asked for the Vita version and just received an email with a humble bundle code ><
Unless I'm mistaken, the Vita version doesn't come with a HB code, right?

Teknoman

If they wanted the game to look better, they should have followed Bloodstained's example and used the most advanced platforms as the base (PC/PS4/Bone) and then down-ported to other platforms. 10 platforms is rather crazy though, I don't even think Ubisoft during their height of having Assassin's Creed on literally everything managed 10 platforms at once.

Let's not forget that Bloodstained is also going to be on Wii U and Vita but those platforms are down-port targets, and in the case of these platforms, they aren't even doing it themselves but retained Armature to do it because it requires a port of Unreal Engine 4, which isn't even supported on Wii U and Vita, to those platforms. This lets them focus on their primary versions of the game and not worry about developing for every platform at once.

I guess that would make more sense, but yeah trying to manage so many platforms all at once was nuts.

Milijango

This is the most surreal launch stream. "[Inafune's] making a face like, I really didn't want that question but well, we got it" just got said out loud.

Ben Judd is so likeable.

I know, right? Well, he's still the face of Bloodstained PR. Best of luck to them.

Giolon

I'm playing them Wii U version, and it's running alright and I actually think it's pretty fun. It feels somewhere between classic and X. Turned off the voices and everything is better.

You don't have as much time to look at the bad graphics while you're playing. The game state is communicated well by them and there's no visual confusion, so they're perfunctory, but not pretty.

Top Bottom