• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miley Cyrus-Wrecking Ball [Music Video] , Directed by Terry Richardson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatline

Banned
Miley Cyrus-Wrecking Ball [Music Video] , Directed by Terry Richardson

It's almost like the director is a part of the thread and relevant to the discussion and seems like you cannot handle discussing. However the truth is the director is 100% relevant to the discussion and devo should be allowed to criticize him as much as she wants to

I can't believe I have to repeat myself again:

I didn't know it gives you carte blanche to win any argument or make completely incorrect assertions.

-"Richardson is all about taking pictures of skinny white women"

- *Someone shows you some pretty great pictures of non-"skinny white women" and I agree*

-"But sexual harassment allegations"

-"How is that relevant to the discussion?"

Yeah....

Devolution kept shoehorning random arguments irrelevant to what we were discussing. She also said that the videoclip is "more his thing than her thing" and quickly backpedaled from that . If her intention from the beginning was to tell us that the director is a sleezebag she should have done it in a separate post instead of making irrelevant remarks within a discussion because she apparently really wanted to. I don't know anything about the harassment allegations, this is not what we were discussing.

bort

theres no link on this page

let me fix that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf8

thanks for the 8.7 million views in under 12 hours
tumblr_msv0ysp4kL1qa42jro1_1280.jpg

and let me tell erryone that Miley played this song and 2 others at different places in the USA and London and some people preferred the other songs Drive and 4x4

nuthin but bangerz bitches

I don't expect her album to get praised and whatever or to sell that much but I am happy for the success she has had after a 3 year break

Richardson's style doesn't come out in the look of the video - which is kind of digital-y and cheap and a long way from his direct-flash aesthetic - but in the choice of wardrobe and poses and angles. The camera leers and it encourages you to leer. I don't have any particular interest in Miley, so this is pretty uncomfortable to me.

Outside of Miley, content of the video is about as literal as you can get. And the song went in one ear and out the other. *shrug*

gabbo

Is it worth watching the video/listening to the song if I don't find her attractive/don't get the hype around her?

Monocle

The song and video are good.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Miley Cyrus as an artist. She started out as an annoying Disney brand, and instead of allowing herself to be pigeonholed or fade from relevance she transformed herself into a wilder, punkier, more provocative Pink. It was a messy break, but sometimes radical reinvention is necessary to make the transition from teen stardom. I like her style. I think she's become something of a controlled disaster, and that was a smart career move. Everyone is talking about her right now. I say controlled because it's obvious she's not genuinely unhinged like Amanda Bynes.

Now that she has the world's attention, it's time for her to settle into a more mature persona without sacrificing all of her new flair. She could be another Katy Perry, except instead of walking the stage as a soulless plastic husk she'd have a human core to project some passion from. I mean, here's hoping.

bjb

Banned
You mean you didn't imply Richardson pushed the idea of nudity? You're being cryptic, jump from one subject to another and then accuse me of making shit up. You know what, screw it I'm done with the discussion.

Never thought I'd see a meltdown in a Miley Cyrus thread lol

Aylinato

11 million views already. good god.

Nudity sells.

She just isn't good at singing hip hop or pop or rap.

Maybe she should try different areas, she does have a good voice(although I don't know if I've ever heard it without auto-tune.) not that I'm expecting her to go against the industry and do something radically different than what everyone else is doing.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nudity sells.

She just isn't good at singing hip hop or pop or rap.

Maybe she should try different areas, she does have a good voice(although I don't know if I've ever heard it without auto-tune.) not that I'm expecting her to go against the industry and do something radically different than what everyone else is doing.
Dont' think it has anything to do with nudity Miley has become quite the media force recently. PR people have to be pleased. She is basically a gold mine.

Mike will better stay on the Miley train. It's going to the diamond palace. Also Juicy J better keep his connection with her up too.

MThanded

I expected the music to be absolute shit since it's Miley Cyrus.

I was not disappointed.

I'm not a miley cyrus fan but I think this song is actually well done. After realizing it was a Dr Luke production it all makes sense. It has a solid pop EDM feel. Oddly reminiscent of an upbeat less depressed lana del rey and a less annoying Katy Perry.

Aylinato

I'm not a miley cyrus fan but I think this song is actually well done. After realizing it was a Dr Luke production it all makes sense. It has a solid pop EDM feel. Oddly reminiscent of an upbeat less depressed lana del rey and a less annoying Katy Perry.

No, it's not that good. It's mediocre at best, and that's being generous.

MThanded

No, it's not that good. It's mediocre at best, and that's being generous.
OK music rating is subjective but it's probably hard for you to comprehend that when your post reads like an indictment my views. Carry on.

ibmPFwi7naMvO2.gif

I think its a fine pop song. That is my opinion. We can agree to disagree.

Never thought I'd see a meltdown in a Miley Cyrus thread lol

Dude doesn't even know what I was talking about. I didn't say anything random if you know a lick about Richardson.

I would link the blog dedicated to some of his stuff but it's very NFSW.

Gloam

Start of the video is a little bit like Nothing Compares 2 U, then it turns into a DIY sledgehammer tutorial.

Alrus

Leave it to "new" Miley Cyrus to turn a perfectly cute song into a dumb sexualized music video that doesn't match the tone at all.

WorldStar

Banned
Lol @ gaf's excessive use of "try hard"

the fact that every Miley thread blows up like no other reveals gaf's secret love for the chick

Sec0nd

This shit has got to be planned right? I honestly think that there are some smart fucking people behind Miley. She's acting like a fool on TV, which gets her attention and then starts cranking out videos so people actually start to listing to her music. Artists don't usually release so many video clips in such a short period right? I feel like this is the third or fourth video in a really short time.

Flatline

Banned
This shit has got to be planned right? I honestly think that there are some smart fucking people behind Miley. She's acting like a fool on TV, which gets her attention and then starts cranking out videos so people actually start to listing to her music. Artists don't usually release so many video clips in such a short period right? I feel like this is the third or fourth video in a really short time.

Of course it was planned. She carefully created controversy before the single and then she made a pretty nude and controversial videoclip to finish the job. Everything except those ass pics were planned by her and her team. I wouldn't even be surprised if that ass shot in the videoclip which looks a little out of place might be some kind of damage control for the pics. Congrats on her I guess, I didn't care about the MTV controversy and I'm not shocked the least by the videoclip, both videoclip and song are pretty good though.

She looks like a boy

Have you seen a boy before? Usually they don't have breasts.

Attention seeking try hard mess who will be lauded by the deluded as being an "interesting" popstar who doesn't give a fuck because she's acting like some two year old who just discovered their body even though it's quite clear she does.

Begging her followers to break a VEVO record so she can release the tracklisting to her ratchet ass try hard Vice City EP? Goodbye.

Nobody paid attention when she pretended to be a fucking big bird on heat and she knew she had to dial it up. It's just unfortunate people paid attention this time.

Say try hard or attention again.

Yeah to be honest It wasnt even that bad. Hell id listen to it over Applause or that lion one on the radio any day of the week.
Then again Pop is one of my least favorite genres!

The song is actually decent. I definitely like it better than We Can't Stop. The nudity feels unneeded, but it's the licking of the sledgehammer that really puts it over the top and makes it look like she's trying too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom