• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft CEO confirms Xbox Live login on Switch, really wants Sony cross-play.

Magwik

Banned
Yeah, but none of them sell a directly competing product.

Other than the 1X and Pro, obviously.

And? You use the same Microsoft account to log into your PC, Phone, email, etc. No different than your gmail giving you access to all of Google's services.

mcrommert

Banned
What about this rumor I saw?

zUtqeZJ.jpg

This is nonsense...the xbox stuff is integrated into the game and wouldn't require work on nintendo's part

There are the platforms that are part of the "Better Together" initiative, which are being moved to the Bedrock engine for the purposes of unifying them all going forwards... and then there's everyone else. Sure, MS could separately upgrade the PS4 version as an isolated special snowflake scenario... but why? It now lacks the driving motivation for the upgrades in the first place. And the PS4 isn't being singled out exclusively... other versions, such as the 360, PS3, WiiU and Java versions aren't getting updated either. The lack of crossplay approval simply put the PS4 in the same batch as the others.

I see, thanks for the detailed explanation. I appreciate that.

"Please bolster my MAU #'s so I can better compete against you for marketing deals with 3rd party software companies and also give me free access to a list of your customers that I target with additional marketing efforts for future hardware/software sales from my brand."

Yep, can't see anything wrong with taking that proposal from someone...

So why do they even allow Minecraft to exist on their system? Seems like a weird place to draw the line...

Minecraft was released before MS bought it.

So it makes no sense to stop selling it. And it would be bad press for MS to pull the license. Dont expect Minecraft 2 on PS5 though

test_account

XP-39C²
I tillegg til denne kryssplattformversjonen vil det også være en pc-versjon som er egen – originalen, eller «Minecraft Bedrock» som de kaller den – den som ikke er for Windows 10.
What does this mean? A own PC version thats not for Windows 10? A Linux/Mac version?

Tycho_b

doesn't explain other games.

So MS as weaker platform holder (less players ) want to benefit from userbase on stronger platform to promote sales of their variant of a game. Stronger platform holder does not want it - is it not clear enough, why Sony wants You to buy PS4 to enjoy playing with PS4 userbase ?
I may not like it but I can perfectly understand their motives. Kids protection or not.

Trup1aya

Some of the responses on here make we want to bash my head into a wall.

OF COURSE you need an account with MS in order for crossplay to work.

It's no different than needing an account with Psyonic to play Rocket league, or and account with SE to play final fantasy.

Who ever is hosting the servers you need an account with them. It's not evil. It's not Rocket science .

RootCause

So why do they even allow Minecraft to exist on their system? Seems like a weird place to draw the line...
Game was out before it was bought. Seems pretty easy to understand. Can you imagine the shitstorm if it had gotten pulled after being purchased?

Izuna

Banned
But if MS wants Sony in on this so bad, why not just create a separate online interface that sits between PSN and XBL for this game? Surly that would be more amenable to Sony.

They aren't there a clear reason for that.

I mean, I don't blame them for trying it, but I won't give them credit for doing what is essentially clearly in their own corporate best interests.

Because it isn't why Sony is refusing.

Look at Minecraft on PS4, no Microsoft logo in sight.
The game was published before MS bought Minecraft.
So what obligation does MS have to give any updates to the game, when Sony is the publisher.

Just because the MS logo isn't there and the game was released on PSN prior to MS's acquisition, it's mean Sony is the publisher.

All publicly available information shows Mojang as the publisher for their games, and since they're owned by MS...

Vroadstar

Microsoft didn't have to bring the game to Playstation at all. What kind of world is this where people are disgusted with using a Microsoft account but yet want to play a Microsoft game? Doesn't make sense.

If Sony were to bring their games to other consoles I doubt very seriously anyone would care about creating a Sony account to Crossplay online.

I'm just going to quote them buddy...

It was published by Sony.

I don't know if anyone who thinks of Minecraft as a Microsoft game, it existed and built the vast majority of its fanbase long before the MS buyout.

leeh

And? You use the same Microsoft account to log into your PC, Phone, email, etc. No different than your gmail giving you access to all of Google's services.
PC is Windows. Windows Phone is dead and MS care about Android/iPhone a lot more.

Gmail is owned by Google, so I don't get what you mean there? If you have a gmail account you have a Google Account. Same with Outlook.

Synth

But if MS wants Sony in on this so bad, why not just create a separate online interface that sits between PSN and XBL for this game? Surly that would be more amenable to Sony.

I mean, I don't blame them for trying it, but I won't give them credit for doing what is essentially clearly in their own corporate best interests.

What realistic difference would this make, beyond creating additional hoops for every other platform already using the XBL solution to jump through?

You would still need to create a new account, and that account would still go directly to MS... only now the update will spring up on my Xbox, and my Android phone and everywhere else telling me I need to create yet another account to continue playing Minecraft online with others... just because Sony says so.

Huh, that's pretty damn lame. It's strange because that would half explain why other F2P games aren't cross-play.

I'm glad iOS/Android don't have these lame restrictions.

It doesn't "half explain" why other F2P MMOs aren't crossplay. It fully explains it. The same situation was met by DCUO. The only difference is that other MMOs are willing to host Xbox servers in order to have an Xbox port. Square isn't willing to do that with FFXIV.

FZW

Mojang is a Microsoft company and Minecraft is a Microsoft game.

I have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but Sony could be resistant since they are arch rivals.

Then why does Sony allow Minecraft at al??

Guys, stop making excuses for Sony. It's not a good look.

Furthermore, we shouldn't have to be even speculating about this. If Sony cared at all, they would just come clean and tell their fans why. We shouldn't have to come up with all sorts of theories and reasons to absolve Sony of any blame in this matter.

We are not Sony's PR.

smh

LordRaptor

This is nonsense...the xbox stuff is integrated into the game and wouldn't require work on nintendo's part

Uhhhh... what?
Nintendo have a paid online subscription service and their own multiplayer systems for things like Nintendo specific userIDs friendslists and messaging / notifications.

There is obviously some work to be done to integrate that with another service that does not track nintendo customers.

It's an account system people! How else did you think they would unify the game? I can guarantee that's it's not going to be a giant announcement for Xbox Live, it will probably have the Microsoft account branding. This is nothing new, as others have pointed out with EA, Ubi, etc don't this. Stop speaking for Sony and claiming this is the reason it's not happening. Sony could have given this reason and avoided all the criticism, instead the chose the bullshit "for the children" excuse. There real excuse was hiding in the Erogamer interview when he mentioned stockholders. They see no financially benefit and that's why it's not happening.

Vice versa then? Stop speaking for Microsoft and claiming this is the reason it's not happening. Third-party systems are different, it's the DIRECT COMPETITOR'S system is what the issue is. And the financial benefit. And the idea of promoting XBL while folks pay for PSN. And the idea of some of terms and agreements that both sides have that cannot be resolved.

Maybe the best answer is misdirection. As garbage as this scenario is, I don't think gamers complaining will fix it. It's the developers' choice to complain and it's competitor's choice to complain, and it's the financial benefactor's choice to complain.

The only one to gain MAU's and other financial gain from this is the one in second and third place, never the one in first place. You're right though about quite a few things, but I have a feeling that our energy is being wasted.

It's an account system, for a direct competitor. Never in a million years would we see PSN account logins on Xbox. Never.

Thraktor

Those are not platform competitors.

So?

What about this rumor I saw?

zUtqeZJ.jpg

We can hope. Ideally I'd like to see Switch have an OS-level ability to link your account to Steam, Origin, Uplay, XBL, etc., and allow games to link to friends lists in each of them for cross-platform play as required. Rocket League could allow PC/Switch friends cross-play if they bring in Steam accounts, for example.

Kintaco

So MS as weaker platform holder (less players ) want to benefit from userbase on stronger platform to promote sales of their variant of a game. Stronger platform holder does not want it - is it not clear enough, why Sony wants You to buy PS4 to enjoy playing with PS4 userbase ?
I may not like it but I can perfectly understand their motives. Kids protection or not.
And this is the definition of "Arrogant Sony". We are there market leader so fuck off.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

Why the hell should they?

Kayant

Some of the responses on here make we want to bash my head into a wall.

OF COURSE you need an account with MS in order for crossplay to work.

It's no different than needing an account with Psyonic to play Rocket league, or and account with SE to play final fantasy.

Who ever is hosting the servers you need an account with them.
You don't need any extra account to play RL outside your platform of choice you game on.

Extra accounts are only needed for in things like supports friends list, parties, DLC/game tracking etc across platforms. For the basic benefit of bigger player pools it's not needed.

Edit -

Not strictly correct with RL there is an additional account but this is not created by the user - https://mobile.twitter.com/rocketleague/status/627760853450817537?lang=en
http://rocketleague.wikia.com/wiki/Cross-platform_play

Because Minecraft was not Microsoft's game when it was being made. Because Minecraft is a mega-hit that every hardware maker wanted on their hardware to sell the hardware to younger generation. Because it's the very reason Microsoft bought Minecraft.

We are going in circles.

Stop pretending you don't know the answer to this. It's not a good look.

leeh

Uhhhh... what?
Nintendo have a paid online subscription service and their own multiplayer systems for things like Nintendo specific userIDs friendslists and messaging / notifications.

There is obviously some work to be done to integrate that with another service that does not track nintendo customers.
I wouldn't think so?

Any integration would be done in Minecraft by MS surely. Why would Nintendo have to do any dev work on their system?

GHG

Minecraft existed on the PS4 before long before MS bought the game. Also, these seem like solid enough reasons to me:

I think it would be the same if it were the other way round.

Nintendo is seperate to all of this because they complete in their own little space, hence the lack of crossover between the respective libraries.

None of this excuses Rocket League however.

Buggy Loop

But it's fine with Square Enix having their fucking shit account system to play FFXIV? I have been skipping PS4 & Xbox one this gen but, last gen there was also Ubisoft account, EA account.. probably forgetting a few.

Those are fine?

Top Bottom