• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft CEO confirms Xbox Live login on Switch, really wants Sony cross-play.

MrS

Banned
Would it be that bad tho? You already create automatic accounts for every Ubisoft, EA, Activision/Blizzard etc game that you play on your PS4. Most people would mostly think "Okay now I´ve a MS account to play MS games"
And that's exactly the point.

BahamutPT

For Rocket League, Sony's position is, as it seems, inexcusable.

In the case of Minecraft I actually understand it. And people mentioning "Oh but you also need EA, Ubi, etc. accounts in other games" are forgetting that those are simply third party/software makers. You are not giving data on your users (by means of registering and using an Xbox/MS Account) to your DIRECT competitor.
Those third parties usually have privacy policies which don't allow them to give MS users' info to Sony and Sony users' info to MS.
Using MS/Xbox account in this case would establish a direct link of information.

And again, their position is only understandable in this case. Not for games that seemingly don't require that kind of thing, like Rocket League.

Synth

MS wanting their competitor's customers to sign into their own network, deserves credit?

Lol.

Yes. Because any crossplay game will require a mediating network to glue the platforms together. MS is just using the one they already have (and many much of the playerbase is already using) rather than create a brand new one (called say a Mojang account), that they'd still end up owning regardless.

Zen Mu

Sony have been refusing cross platform play for a while, I thought it was common knowledge. Many devs would have made their games have it if it weren't for Sony refusing.

Sometimes it blocks an entire game coming to the system, like FFXIV.

I guess I dunno what's happening then. I remember FFXI not being something that MS wanted back in the day, and when it happened they had to allow PSU (fun times). Something about not wanting another online service?

1. FFXIV not coming to Xbox is because they (Square-Enix and the FFXIV dev team) don't want to have to deal with MS hosted XBL only servers, which is the one caveat MS has for cross-play. Sony literally has absolutely nothing to do with it. *EDIT* (beaten)

2. FFXI was a strategic business move, Sony was discontinuing their hard drives for PS2 & 360 was the easiest next console to get XI on (actually I don't even think the PS3 was even out yet at the time). Allowing XI on the 360 was how they started to build their relationship up with SE to get stuff like mainline FF games later in the gen.

Because that's the way it'll work on Switch doesn't mean it's the way it would work on PS4.

This will be the talking point for people who want to believe Sony can do no wrong though.

If this were the only sticking point for Sony then Rocket League crossplay would exist since they already do not rely on this sort of system.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Rubbish. MS is using this to punish PS4 players because of Sony's refusal to allow cross-platform play.

Sure, Sony's position is shitty, but in light of the revelation in the OP I can certainly understand why they chose to go in that direction.

Sony is the one punishing, here.

ReaperXL7

Your kids don't play Minecraft now?

My daughter plays it on PlayStation, my Son is too young to play games. She doesn't play with random people though, myself and a few parents from her class created PSN accounts for our kids and passed them around to each other so they could play together without having to deal with problems or inappropriate situations more easily.

PSGames

Another thing people are ignoring is the fact that regardless of what central account is used for Cross play the platform holder is making money hand over fist with the online subscription fees to play online in the first place. The game is literally helping sell PS+ and Nintendo Online subscriptions. Whatever Sony's reasoning it really only hurts their own customers and their own bottom line.

kIdMuScLe

What about this rumor I saw?

url]

gamz

My daughter plays it on PlayStation, my Son is too young to play games. She doesn't play with random people though, myself and a few parents from her class created PSN accounts for our kids and passed them around to each other so they could play together without having to deal with problems or inappropriate situations more easily.

Gotcha. Cool. Understandable.

Rubbish. MS is using this to punish PS4 players because of Sony's refusal to allow cross-platform play.

Sure, Sony's position is shitty, but in light of the revelation in the OP I can certainly understand why they chose to go in that direction.

Mojang/Microsoft doesn't want to make a special fork for PlayStation users either. Bringing everyone to one build of the game is much easier in the end, ensuring that updates come around the same time as other platforms.

So they're at a standoff. Up to Sony now to ensure that their version of Minecraft (which I'm betting sold more on PS4 than Xbox) is up to date.

leeh

not really completely fair

they allow EA accounts
Ubisoft accounts
Capcom accounts
Activision accounts

understandable sure, but i would not call it fair
Yeah, but none of them sell a directly competing product.

Other than the 1X and Pro, obviously.

Doukou

Actually Sony published Minecraft on PS4 so its up to them to pay for the update.

Yes. Because any crossplay game will require a mediating network to glue the platforms together. MS is just using the one they already have (and many much of the playerbase is already using) rather than create a brand new one (called say a Mojang account), that they'd still end up owning regardless.

But if MS wants Sony in on this so bad, why not just create a separate online interface that sits between PSN and XBL for this game? Surly that would be more amenable to Sony.

They aren't there a clear reason for that.

I mean, I don't blame them for trying it, but I won't give them credit for doing what is essentially clearly in their own corporate best interests.

mcrommert

Banned
Cool...well Microsoft can just let the game languish and not receive updates...i guess thats fair too...just like sony blocking crossplay

you never disappoint neogaf - When there is an opportunity to white knight for sony you are always there

EDIT: Also apparently this isn't an issue for Sony...they said it was for the children and didn't even mention this

Dynedom

I honestly doubt MS wanted people signing into PS4's using XBL tags. There must be something else.

If this is the case and why Sony declined, I think it's fine. Doesn't explain Rocket League.

fantomena

not really completely fair

they allow EA accounts
Ubisoft accounts
Capcom accounts
Activision accounts

understandable sure, but i would not call it fair

Those are not platform competitors.

This makes it understandable for why Sony wouldn't allow cross-play in Minecraft, but not Rocket League. Amongs the reasons, this will most likely make Sony help MS grow those MAUs.

Shock32

How is this different from signing in/linking your uPlay, EA, etc accounts on the system/game you are playing?

Last time I checked neither one of those accounts were from a rival console maker. No way would Sony allow it, which is totally reasonable.

daman824

Erm no

This stuff has been explained over and over again. There is a thread that explains why Sony isn't getting the update, and it has nothing to do with punishing them

That's understandable. Ninty and MS have always been somewhat friendly with each other (i.e. Viva Piñata on DS), so I can see them being open to that idea. However, this doesn't justify Sony's avoidance of crossplay in general. No excuses when it comes to them denying Psyonix this feature.

Kintaco

It's an account system people! How else did you think they would unify the game? I can guarantee that's it's not going to be a giant announcement for Xbox Live, it will probably have the Microsoft account branding. This is nothing new, as others have pointed out with EA, Ubi, etc don't this. Stop speaking for Sony and claiming this is the reason it's not happening. Sony could have given this reason and avoided all the criticism, instead the chose the bullshit "for the children" excuse. There real excuse was hiding in the Erogamer interview when he mentioned stockholders. They see no financially benefit and that's why it's not happening.

Synth

There are the platforms that are part of the "Better Together" initiative, which are being moved to the Bedrock engine for the purposes of unifying them all going forwards... and then there's everyone else. Sure, MS could separately upgrade the PS4 version as an isolated special snowflake scenario... but why? It now lacks the driving motivation for the upgrades in the first place. And the PS4 isn't being singled out exclusively... other versions, such as the 360, PS3, WiiU and Java versions aren't getting updated either. The lack of crossplay approval simply put the PS4 in the same batch as the others.

Izuna

Banned
FFXIV's situation is that Square don't want to run Xbox-only servers. MS requires crossplay to have the option for Xbox players to opt-out... and if they do, guess where they'd need to be hosted?

Huh, that's pretty damn lame. It's strange because that would half explain why other F2P games aren't cross-play.

I'm glad iOS/Android don't have these lame restrictions.

But if MS wants Sony in on this so bad, why not just create a separate online interface that sits between PSN and XBL for this game? Surly that would be more amenable to Sony.

They aren't there a clear reason for that
And if you inform yourself on what the Bettet Together update entails and why they're doing it, you might finally see that clear reason, yourself.

Suggesting a forked MC when the entire point of the update is to consolodate MC development and communities is just asinine

flkraven

None of them are direct competitors in the hardware market.

Do any of those make consoles that are direct competitors to PS4?

Last time I checked neither one of those accounts were from a rival console maker. No way would Sony allow it, which is totally reasonable.

So why do they even allow Minecraft to exist on their system? Seems like a weird place to draw the line...

Top Bottom