• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft CEO confirms Xbox Live login on Switch, really wants Sony cross-play.

PC is Windows. Windows Phone is dead and MS care about Android/iPhone a lot more.

Gmail is owned by Google, so I don't get what you mean there? If you have a gmail account you have a Google Account. Same with Outlook.

Gmail accounts can also be used as a Microsoft account, as can any other email provider. At least, it's a requirement for a tech giant. If you've ever signed into a Microsoft service for any reason, you have a Microsoft account.

Though I'm not sure if that extends to school/work emails based on Office365. I think office admins can disable those.

Just throwing that out there.

Why would Microsoft make a new game and release it on PlayStation? Same reason they wont release forza, Halo, etc.

I mean, I might be a bit liberal here, but why not? It's still software. If Microsoft releases a title on the Steam store versus their own store, why can't they?

Besides, it's in their best interests to make sure Minecraft is everywhere, except on Chromebooks since Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 S and Minecraft Education.

Outrun

"Please bolster my MAU #'s so I can better compete against you for marketing deals with 3rd party software companies and also give me free access to a list of your customers that I target with additional marketing efforts for future hardware/software sales from my brand."

Yep, can't see anything wrong with taking that proposal from someone...

... But MAUs are ridiculed though aren't they?

Or are they important now?

Lifeline

But it's fine with Square Enix having their fucking shit account system to play FFXIV? I have been skipping PS4 & Xbox one this gen but, last gen there was also Ubisoft account, EA account.. probably forgetting a few.

Those are fine?

Those aren't competitive services.

Why? Linking accounts is common in the ps4.

EA, Ubi, YouTube, ect

Yeah, basically every third party app & game on every platform links you to and and logs you into another network service for the duration. This is mostly seamless and behind the scenes after initial agreement and account linking.

Izuna

Banned
It doesn't "half explain" why other F2P MMOs aren't crossplay. It fully explains it. The same situation was met by DCUO. The only difference is that other MMOs are willing to host Xbox servers in order to have an Xbox port. Square isn't willing to do that with FFXIV.

Absolute garbage ☹

Something just occurred to me, I had an old-ass account (alpha) that was migrated to the "new" system a few years back.

Will that login be migrated, again, to XBL?

RedRum

Banned
To unite platforms on one system, a login is required. I see no issue with that. This is not just about crossplay but about gameplay, updates, etc for all instead of individually.

Why is this suddenly about MAUs now??

Synth

It doesn't matter if Minecraft was on PS4 before or after the acquisition.. it'd have happened regardless. Minecraft Story Mode was after the acquisition, and that's still on PS4.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So when we start paying for Switch's online we'll actually be using a cheaper version of Xbox Live for Minecraft?

You know, if Nintendo and Microsoft could ink a network deal with MS handling Nintendo's online stuff......is it that out there to think it's implausible?

What about this rumor I saw?

url]

Holy moly. If this is true.....damn.....

Next Nintendo Direct has Phil Spencer making the announcement.

Darkangel

Crossplay games need to have some kind of universal account system in order for friends lists to work. It makes sense that Minecraft would use Xbox Live (Microsoft Account) to do so. FF14 uses a Square-Enix account, does it not?

Rocket League doesn't use Live, so either way this doesn't excuse Sony's terrible cross-play decision.

flkraven

Why would Microsoft make a new game and release it on PlayStation? Same reason they wont release forza, Halo, etc.

"“Gaming is the top activity across devices and we see great potential to continue to grow the Minecraft community and nurture the franchise. That is why we plan to continue to make Minecraft available across platforms – including iOS, Android and PlayStation, in addition to Xbox and PC."

http://gamingtrend.com/news/minecraft-becoming-xbox-exclusive/

It would be a big shift for them to make it exclusive. Heck, the Switch version is releasing in 2017. No signs of them stopping multiplatform support.

Kintaco

Vice versa then? Stop speaking for Microsoft and claiming this is the reason it's not happening. Third-party systems are different, it's the DIRECT COMPETITOR'S system is what the issue is. And the financial benefit. And the idea of promoting XBL while folks pay for PSN. And the idea of some of terms and agreements that both sides have that cannot be resolved.

Maybe the best answer is misdirection. As garbage as this scenario is, I don't think gamers complaining will fix it. It's the developers' choice to complain and it's competitor's choice to complain, and it's the financial benefactor's choice to complain.

The only one to gain MAU's and other financial gain from this is the one in second and third place, never the one in first place. You're right though about quite a few things, but I have a feeling that our energy is being wasted.

It's an account system, for a direct competitor. Never in a million years would we see PSN account logins on Xbox. Never.
I never spoke for Microsoft and the reason it's not happening. Jim Ryan is the only one that gave a reason and that's who I'm referring to. I'm sure all Microsoft cars about is MAUs and not actually being market leader. This is for one game and not some sort of fucking trojan house. Stop making it out to be more that it is. The reason that Rocket League and Minecraft cross play not happening is the same, it is stupid to think that each has different reasoning. So if the Xbox Live excuse is there reason how does this apply to Rocket League?

test_account

XP-39C²
They are asking whether there will be a seperate pc version that's not Windows 10, afaics
To me, it seems more like a statement than a question. They're saying that in addition to the cross-platform version, there will also be a own version for PC. The original, or "Minecraft Bedrock" as they call it, the one thats not for Windows 10. I thought the Bedrock version was the one for Windows 10, the one thats cross-platform.

mcrommert

Banned
Why? Linking accounts is common in the ps4.

EA, Ubi, YouTube, ect

Microsoft has cooties

Uhhhh... what?
Nintendo have a paid online subscription service and their own multiplayer systems for things like Nintendo specific userIDs friendslists and messaging / notifications.

There is obviously some work to be done to integrate that with another service that does not track nintendo customers.

I would be very suprised if you have to pay for nintendo's online to play this game...probably more in line with how sony treats mmo's (no need for ps+)

But if MS wants Sony in on this so bad, why not just create a separate online interface that sits between PSN and XBL for this game? Surly that would be more amenable to Sony.

They aren't there a clear reason for that.

I mean, I don't blame them for trying it, but I won't give them credit for doing what is essentially clearly in their own corporate best interests.

So you're suggesting that MS make ANOTHER interface between XBL and PSN just to appease Sony? When the whole point of the update is to unify all platforms? Think about what you're saying. The reasons are very clear you're just refusing to see it for whatever reason.

I can't see how this is true.

A quick 10 seconds of searching should make it clear enough for you.

Kintaco

You don't need any extra account to play RL outside your platform of choice you game on.

Extra accounts are only needed for in things like this to support friends list, parties, DLC/game tracking etc across platforms. For the basis benefit of bigger player pools it's not needed.
The account is also needed so that you can build something on the Switch then continue it on the PC if you'd like. Your game won't be tied to the system anymore but to the account.

flkraven

Yah but cross-platform play will now be standard for Minecraft.
I see no way MS would release a version of Minecraft without it.

Well then they will try and release it, and say they are unable to sell it unless Sony allows them. Then there will be even more outcry when little Timmy can't get the new Minecraft on Playstation because Sony is blocking it.

TB12

Banned
Its just pure business they want you to buy the ps4, not play together with the competitor pure and simple.

Its like trying to buy a "whopper" at a mcdonald franchise, is that also possible?

it's just a windows ID. literally anyone with a windows ID/hotmail/outlook has an acct.

Also, it looks like they can use a Skype account too.

Would have been better optics if they just called it a Microsoft Crossplay Account instead of Xbox Live. But, whatever. I'm sure it would be a one time thing that after the initial setup, you won't see the branding ever again.

Sony have been refusing cross platform play for a while, I thought it was common knowledge. Many devs would have made their games have it if it weren't for Sony refusing.

Sometimes it blocks an entire game coming to the system, like FFXIV.

Though I know this is the unusual one here, but FFXI was on PS2, PC and Xbox 360 which could all play together.

Synth

Those aren't competitive services.

I think the "competing services" excuse is a weak one, because in Sony's case it's almost entirely restricted to gaming. They're fine with direct competitors in all other forms of media having a notable presence on their platforms.. but when it comes to gaming? No you can't use your Microsoft account to play your Microsoft game... heeelll no you're not subscribing to an EA subscription service, etc.

MS has a history of putting games on other platforms. Minecraft was on Vita afterwards, right?

Yup, good point. Happened a year after.

Top Bottom