• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft coming to the Wii U eShop next week (Dec. 17)

Hoo-doo

Banned
This was the big monday news people were hyperventilating about?

Cool beans for the 0.2% of the target audience that didn't yet have a way to play it.

ShamePain

Banned
As sad as Iwata's departure is, I don't think we would've seen minecraft come to Nin consoles under him. New CEO is starting to make the right moves.

woopWOOP

Figured it was this after Nintendo's indie-guy statement, but still.... didn't expect Minecraft to pop up on Nintendo's console since it was bought up by Microsoft!

That's a nice set of extra packs too. I've lost interest in Minecraft since it didn't really focus on the adventuring aspect as much, but if the WiiU version has local gamepad/TV multiplayer that'd be pretty cool.

Hoo-doo

Banned
As sad as Iwata's departure is, I don't think we would've seen minecraft come to Nin consoles under him. New CEO is starting to make the right moves.

What? Why would Iwata be opposed to this?

Is this the 'Phil Spencer' effect, only now with Nintendo's new guy, where everything remotely positive gets attributed to the new leadership?

We need a new name for this phenomenon.

JoeM86

What? Why would Iwata be opposed to this?

Is this the 'Phil Spencer' effect, only now with Nintendo's new guy, where everything remotely positive gets attributed to the new leadership?

We need a new name for this phenomenon.

We don't need a new name, we have a current one. It's a synonym of bovine faeces.

One of the biggest ips of the past 5 years is a fairly big deal, also this came from the 3rd party relations guy not an official statement... Maybe the gaf bubble had you?

Would like to know the story though. I assume the porting studio didn't have the bandwidth so only with Microsoft it got boosted ambition and resource.

You're right Minecraft is a big deal, I just don't think it being on a Nintendo platform years after the fact is. It's one of the biggest blunders on Nintendo's record this gen. They're supposedly the most family-friendly platform holder and yet they took so long to get this game. Maybe the holdup was more on Mojang's end or something, we'll probably never know.

I already own the game on 4 different devices, even got it for free through an Amazon daily "free app" promotion. I can already play it on a device that doesn't have 3 hour battery life. This news is great for the few people who don't own it already, or who make regular use of Off-TV Play, I guess.

jariw

I think it has more with Notch being replaced with Phil Spencer. MS and Nintendo could easily have some kind of deal, such as Rare Replay licence stuff in exchange to Minecraft for Wii U for Christmas.

Effect

This is a big and a important announcement for the system going into the holidays. Blame yourself if you thought it was going to be more with nothing at all to suggest that. Don't blame Nintendo if you allowed you imagination to run wild with no justification.

Volotaire

You assume that the port development time, the negotiation, the strategy and the contact with clients was fully completed in just under 6 months. Projects like this take a lot longer.

The fact that Nintendo considers this such a big deal shows just how much of a bubble they're in when it comes to third parties.. and I say that as a Nintendo fan.

I would love to hear the inside scoop on why this port took so damn long.

It's not a big deal for a healthy console. It's a big deal for the Wii U given essentially non-existent third party support. The bigger deal for Nintendo is that they can have an NX port on day one, and that's a console with an actual chance to be successful.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Day 1 for the kids in our house. A quadruple-dip. This version MUST have free amiibo skin support, anything else would be a lost opportunity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, for I don't play Minecraft, but I was under the impression you could just draw a texture of your liking and apply it to the Steve? avatar. Amiibo skin support would need to do more than that if the user can easily just replicate it.

Effect

Anyone who thinks this isn't a big deal is kidding themselves. I know tons of families that didn't buy the wii u simply because it didn't have minecraft, so they opted for a 360 or one of the other systems instead. It might be a bit late, but this could be a system seller for a lot of people.

Edit: 30 bucks!? It's 20 everywhere else.

It might be more because I think the PR says new packs exclusive to Nintendo might be coming. Maybe they won't be charging for those and it's included in the price.

Nintendo and Mojang are also collaborating on new content for Nintendo fans to be released at a future date. More details about this content will be released at a later time.

This is at the very top of the PR release right after the price and completely separate from the packs that come with the game and the ones you can buy. If that is the case then the higher price makes sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, for I don't play Minecraft, but I was under the impression you could just draw a texture of your liking and apply it to the Steve? avatar. Amiibo skin support would need to do more than that if the user can easily just replicate it.

Throw in some sound effects and a new skin for creepers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the highest selling game by Microsoft Japan being Blue Dragon on 360 at around 200k? (Not sure about OG Xbox game sales)

Could we actually see Minecraft Wii U, published by Microsoft Japan, sell more than that, and possibly becoming the highest selling game published by Microsoft Japan?

FYI, Minecraft 360 only sold 24,394 (Famitsu) at retail in a year and a half, the digital number is only in the hundreds, yikes.

Damon Baker made the announcement.

Damon Baker is the guy who helps to handle Nintendo's indie developer relations.

Are people that dumb to have not seen this coming at all?

thefro

This is a big and a important announcement for the system going into the holidays. Blame yourself if you thought it was going to be more with nothing at all to suggest that. Don't blame Nintendo if you allowed you imagination to run wild with no justification.

Most still haven't heard the original comments on the podcast, but my understanding is Nintendo Everything did hype it up a little more than what it came off as on the stream with how they reported it. It was more "hey, we got something cool coming on Monday that we're excited about".

Damon Baker made the announcement.

Damon Baker is the guy who helps to handle Nintendo's indie developer relations.

Are people that dumb to have not seen this coming at all?

Basically.

I'm all for exaggerated hype for Nintendo Direct announcements but this one was pretty clear that it'd be Minecraft or something about indies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Very late to the party, of course, but this sets a good precedent for the future. A full-on Nintendo edition of Minecraft would potentially make a lot of money for both Nintendo and Microsoft.

Considering Microsoft owns Mojang, this is actually surprising to see. If any console needed Minecraft, it the Wii U. Too bad it's three years too late. If this was a launch title, the console would probably be a day one purchase for more people.

I'm pretty sure this has been under way before his death. Also what on earth makes you think that?

Regarding the announcement: Am I the only one worried that the only Gamepad related info is regarding off-tv play? I mean, this is definitely gonna allow you to build/control everything with the touch screen, right? Right???

Also R.I.P. Ucraft. Bad timing for them.

I'm pretty sure this has been under way before his death. Also what on earth makes you think that?

Regarding the announcement: Am I the only one worried that the only Gamepad related info is regarding off-tv play? I mean, this is definitely gonna allow you to build/control everything with the touch screen, right? Right???

Did Ucraft ever come out?

Wait...this isn't out yet? If not, yeah, they're screwed.

"Halloween 2015 Mash-up Pack" as DLC? I guess they wanted to launch sooner but failed a lot check or something else. Reminds me of that time when a Christmas themed WiiWare game came out shortly after Christmas.

And some interesting notes from nintendo.com

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/ZTniFoRbFBzllBt3D0Ryhku1SMO28Ekt

The game supports the following languages via an in-game language select function; English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese.

Minecraft WiiU edition will be a first WiiU game that supports Asian Languages outside of Japan.
Nicely spotted.

GulAtiCa

Nope! They just kept delaying it over and over again IIRC.

Cube Life actually did come out. I'm curious of how it did.
Cube life did really really well. Funny thing is that the UCraft guy tried to shit all over Cube Life with his fake gaming news website and all it did was get Cube Life to sell more! Lol

Effect

I would certainly hope you can use the touch screen. It's right there and would be ideal for this. If not it would be like Little King Story on the Wii being a Pikman like game but not using the pointer of the Wii remote to target and send troops out. That was a horrible decision then and would be a horrible decision now.

At least the 3DS game, Cube Creator 3D I think, that was made should be okay. There is nothing like Minecraft on the 3DS but that game.

Didn't know the UCraft guy acted like that. A shame. Good that Cube Life actually came out though.

Did Ucraft ever come out?

Wait...this isn't out yet? If not, yeah, they're screwed.

I actually thought so myself. But no, not out yet. The homepage looks pretty dead too. Last update from 2014. It mentions a "Ucraft Beta" but it's password restricted.

Anyways, I doubt anybody is gonna go for a "clone" if the real thing is going to come out on WiiU. Unless there'd be a huge price difference maybe.

I would certainly hope you can use the touch screen. It's right there and would be ideal for this. If not it would be like Little King Story on the Wii being a Pikman like game but not using the pointer of the Wii remote to target and send troops out. That was a horrible decision then and would be a horrible decision now.

I do feel bad for those that were and had been making games like this for the Wii U because there was no indication that Minecraft would ever come. They saw the void and were attempting to fill it. At least the 3DS game that was made should be okay. There is nothing like Minecraft on the 3DS but that game.

Absolutely but it just seems weird to not mention the touchscreen controls in the Press Release, doesn't it? This would be one of the major selling points of the WiiU version.

And regarding the 3DS version: I guess the hardware would really be a limiting factor here.

Considering Microsoft owns Mojang, this is actually surprising to see. If any console needed Minecraft, it the Wii U. Too bad it's three years too late. If this was a launch title, the console would probably be a day one purchase for more people.

Why do people keep saying this? You know Microsoft owned Minecraft before the Vita game's release right? Microsoft is (rightly) above fanboy BS when it comes to sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cube life did really really well. Funny thing is that the UCraft guy tried to shit all over Cube Life with his fake gaming news website and all it did was get Cube Life to sell more! Lol

Actually, is there any range for Cube Life sales so far? We know that Cube Creator 3D (3DS) should be over 200,000 downloads just in Japan.

Vitacat

Oh thank god it's just this.

Not sarcasm. No interest in Minecraft, and I really don't need anymore games to buy.

Top Bottom