• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft coming to the Wii U eShop next week (Dec. 17)

I feel if anyone really wanted to get their hands on this they would have got it on an alternate platform that it's been on for years. This is the smallest console install base so I don't expect it to be huge, but it's good for those that only own Nintendo products.

I'm sure there are a decent number of families who only own a Wii U. It's good for them.

It's also good for the future, as Minecraft will likely launch on NX as well.

JoeM86

Yup :-/

No one in PR can say they have some bit of news without people working themselves up with impossible pipe dreams of what it could be. Not sure what people expected for a monday morning news announcement that wasn't featured in a direct or a press conference. This is basically as big as you can get for a random twitter announcement.

Hell, in the Pokémon community this often happens. People hype themselves up for announcements all the time, often when there's little reason (such as Masuda being on Pokénchi last month, despite it being said ahead of time that he's on to discuss music), and then start cursing and yell that we've been trolled. In the run up to Black 2 & White 2 and X & Y, people watched the Japanese TV show, Pokémon Smash, and claimed we were trolled each week there wasn't news, despite them never announcing that there would be.

I love the optimism, but yeesh :p

A 6 years later and $10 more expensive port of a popular game that bring only Off-TV in addition? Yey?

Feels like Wii U launch once again. I'm getting melancholic now.

To be fair, it's $10 but has a lot of DLC packs sold separately on other platforms built in.

Aaron D.

That's really awesome news.

Minecraft is one of the biggest titles of the past 10 years. Nice to see everyone finally getting a chance to experience it.

georly

I feel if anyone really wanted to get their hands on this they would have got it on an alternate platform that it's been on for years. This is the smallest console install base so I don't expect it to be huge, but it's good for those that only own Nintendo products.

It's also good for the parent looking to buy a console for their 5,6,7 year old who is just now learning about minecraft from kids at school. Kids have birthdays every day, meaning every day a new kid learns about the game and wants to buy it.

If I were a parent, i'd choose Wii U as the minecraft machine over the competitors, especially if I had zero interest in playing games myself. Off tv play, other big kids games like mario kart 8 (which is getting a show on disney) and splatoon.

JoeM86

I know of many people who will buy it again for the Wii U. Minecraft is weird, people buy it for every platform they have.

emb

If only Nintendo had been able to make some sort of arrangement back in 2012 to get the first (console + physical) release of the game, in time for Wii U launch. Then maybe it would have helped at all. 3 years late is a bit much.

Rodin

So no "tap the Amiibo and change the skin of the world" (Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser ecc-->mushroom kingdom; Link/Zelda-->Hyrule; Ganon-->destroyed Hyrule; Samus-->Zebes etc)? They lost a pretty big occasion here, how the fuck didn't they think about this is beyond me.

Was this their big announcement which had over 1600 posts of speculation?! Lol.

Wasn't exactly impossible to figure out, but i'm still expecting tons of people whining about this.

crinale

So in Japanese market Microsoft Japan is selling this, neither Mojang nor Nintendo.
I think Nintendo should have stepped in but oh well..

georly

So no "tap the Amiibo and change the skin of the world" (Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser ecc-->mushroom kingdom; Link/Zelda-->Hyrule; Ganon-->destroyed Hyrule; Samus-->Zebes etc)? They lost a pretty big occasion here, how the fuck didn't they think about this is beyond me..

Yet....

Minecraft gets updated all the time. Would be really cool to see this. Nintendo could make such a killing off nintendo skins, especially if powered by amiibo.

I will buy this, no joke, if there is a hyrule theme and zelda skins. I'm shallow like that.

JoeM86

So no "tap the Amiibo and change the skin of the world" (Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser ecc-->mushroom kingdom; Link/Zelda-->Hyrule; Ganon-->destroyed Hyrule; Samus-->Zebes etc)? They lost a pretty big occasion here, how the fuck didn't they think about this is beyond me.

Read the PR

Nintendo and Mojang are also collaborating on new content for Nintendo fans to be released at a future date. More details about this content will be released at a later time.

Yet....

Minecraft gets updated all the time. Would be really cool to see this. Nintendo could make such a killing off nintendo skins, especially if powered by amiibo.

I will buy this, no joke, if there is a hyrule theme and zelda skins. I'm shallow like that.

Now I need that :D

The gamepad + traditional controls sogood.gif. Talk about a different landscape had they launched with Minecraft.

I own Minecraft for Android, but I think I'll double dip for some gamepad fun.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
To be fair, it's $10 but has a lot of DLC packs sold separately on other platforms built in.

So forcing you to buy the optional content from the other versions. Not a positive unless you want all that content.

You've been doing that for the past couple months, really.

Doing what? I'm talking about the 3rd party ports that were at Wii U launch.

Or are you complaining about the fact that I'm complaining about some games on Wii U? Because earlier today I've been accused about being too positive in the PAL sales thread, so I guess on average I'm in a neutral day.

Rodin

Yet....

Yeah me too, and i don't even like Minecraft lol

Read the PR
Ok, but having it at launch with the entire marketing based on it would have been a bit different.

Scrawnton

I'm happy people overhyped a random comment by someone and are now disappointed because it's minecraft, which is actually a big announcement.

Was this their big announcement which had over 1600 posts of speculation?! Lol.

To be quite honest though, Minecraft still is a big thing and this game finally coming to a Nintendo console was very overdue.
I mean, the Wii U version should've been the first console version in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope there will be a demo as well, because I wanna see what features this version has in store (if it has any Wii U specific features that is, aside from Off-TV play of course).

GulAtiCa

Trust me, this will sell a lot on the eShop to all the many kids begging for it. The other Minecraft clones are already huge hits. The real thing will do gangbusters.

Obviously of course, I'm talking about the game sales. I don't expect the system to be saved or anything silly like that.

Gartooth

A lot of people saw this coming so it isn't a shock. Anyways, this is still a pretty big announcement given it's Minecraft of all things, and is certainly bigger than an announcement of an announcement for Smash Bros. lol Only thing strange about this is that it was announced via a press release and not given more exposure in the recent Direct.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yep it was pretty obvious this was gonna be Minecraft.

Mojang said:
We’ll be adding more content packs to Wii U Edition in the near future (Wa-hoo!)

"Wa-hoo!" huh? Guess the first new content pack is going to be Mario related :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It was old also for vita but sold a lot in japan. Plus, why prefer the smash direct date over this!? Smash direct is still coming anyway

Personally not interest unless there is some relevant Gamepad integration

Hopefully this at least means that Minecraft will be on Nintendo platforms moving forward, and hopefully day 1, or at least near day 1. Should be another huge seller on the next Nintendo platform, especially the handheld.

Doing what? I'm talking about the 3rd party ports that were at Wii U launch.

Or are you complaining about the fact that I'm complaining about some games on Wii U? Because earlier today I've been accused about being too positive in the PAL sales thread, so I guess on average I'm in a neutral day.

Just the constant negativity in most Nintendo threads you post in. You can obviously do what you'd like, but I've certainly noticed it pretty frequently from you recently.

Hope no one was seriously expecting an NX-related announcement when they're trying to sell Wii U in one last major push before Xmas. Given the distance to its release date, it makes sense to announce this now to whatever base Ninty has on the platform. I wonder how this version stacks up against the other console versions.

moozoom

$10 premium is for the extra fun you get when playing on a Nintendo system.

10$ premium is probably the ransom Microsoft asked Nintendo for putting the game on WiiU. I don't think Nintendo sets the price of 3rd party games, the developer and publisher do.

I will wait to see how (and if) they use the gamepad in a meaningful way for inventory and crafting, but I could double dip if it's the case.

As i said in the other thread Minecraft is the biggest IP in the industry is it not? It continues to sell year after year so its good news that Nintendo finally got its support.

Brofield

Hey, I've never played Minecraft before. I'll pick it up in the U.

Pleasantly surprised we're getting the DLC, for some reason I thought it wouldn't happen. Reasonably happy with myself that I kept my expectations in check.

georly

Hell, in the Pokémon community this often happens. People hype themselves up for announcements all the time, often when there's little reason (such as Masuda being on Pokénchi last month, despite it being said ahead of time that he's on to discuss music), and then start cursing and yell that we've been trolled. In the run up to Black 2 & White 2 and X & Y, people watched the Japanese TV show, Pokémon Smash, and claimed we were trolled each week there wasn't news, despite them never announcing that there would be.

I love the optimism, but yeesh :p

It's amazing what people can convince themselves of.

crinale

It was old also for vita but sold a lot in japan. Plus, why prefer the smash direct date over this!? Smash direct is still coming anyway

Personally not interest unless there is some relevant Gamepad integration

Not having retail copies would hurt though. I hope they get this cleared out quickly.

Volotaire

I cannot see any mention of touchscreen functionality, only 'off TV play'. Is there any specific mention of the former? It would be a huge shame if there was no touchscreen integration.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
other big kids games like mario kart 8 (which is getting a show on disney)
Wait what? Let me Google this...

In a new show called "Clash of Karts: Mario Kart 8," eight of America's best young gamers get the opportunity to team up with the hottest YouTube personalities like Strawburry 17, Andre (Black Nerd Comedy), AtomicMari and SethBling to compete in a one-hour multi-round Mario Kart 8 competition.
Oh dear, YT personalities. Well I look forward to hearing about them getting trounced by the kids.

JoeM86

It's amazing what people can convince themselves of.

I'm already seeing hate for this on the Facebook posts, people telling Nintendo that they need to get a dictionary for the word "big", and claiming this won't have updates or as much content as the Xbox version already.

Top Bottom