• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Pre-Alpha forever brother! I remember first hearing about MC on the Geekbox of all things, funny to think how big it's got since then.

I discovered Minecraft through a random youtube video. I was searching for vids with Neil DeGrass Tyson when this video popped up after one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

I was like WTF is that game, so I watched it, found it intriguing and then started searching for videos about Minecraft. That's when I stumbled onto X's Minecraft adventures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh4EexJO4I&list=PLB34D26CDA19BF90F&index=3

After watching a few of those, I bought the game and haven't stopped playing it since, lol!

Ranger X

I discovered Minecraft through a random youtube video. I was searching for vids with Neil DeGrass Tyson when this video popped up after one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

I was like WTF is that game, so I watched it, found it intriguing and then started searching for videos about Minecraft. That's when I stumbled onto X's Minecraft adventures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh4EexJO4I&list=PLB34D26CDA19BF90F&index=3

After watching a few of those, I bought the game and haven't stopped playing it since, lol!

waaaaaaa, nostalgia man. Me and you we had the same path to Minecraft apparently. And that's probably the video that incitated the nerfing of the fire.

Blizzard

Banned
From Jeb:

40zisfnw5f56.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
So I bet Horses will run off of carrots as fuel, so that minecarts don't immediately feel useless. That might already be known, but I'm out of the loop

defel

how does that work?
The portal in the nether hasn't moved so why is it linking back to somewhere else?

Quoting someone from reddit who made a post on this

The portal mechanics are pretty crazy, and here is my best understanding of the situation: (with a theory as to what happened)
Potty Mouths make their portal and go through. Minecraft generates a portal corresponding to their coordinates in the nether. (This makes sense.)
Guude goes through Nancy Drew's portal, and is close enough that he gets sent to the PM portal in the nether. (This also makes sense.)
Guude sees PM and flees back through the portal. This event spawns a new portal in the overworld. (This made no sense to me at first.)
Guude kills the newly formed portal in the overworld.
Team PM goes back through the portal as well. Half go to their original place. The other half go a newly formed portal near Guude's extinguished one. (What the Hell?)
The only explanation I can think of is the team PM's portal in the nether was spawned very far away from where it wanted to be because of bad terrain. One side of the portal was far enough away to form a new portal. The other side was close enough to go back to the original.
A similar trick is mentioned on the wiki (See "2-in-1"):
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Nether_Portal#Implications
So basically, people who went on the "right" side of the portal would spawn a new portal, but people who went through the "left" side would go home. As soon as someone makes the new portal, it "takes over" since it is closer.
But for this to happen organically would be spectacularly unlikely. It's a stretch, but does anyone have any other ideas what happened?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Go and find season 1 of UHC with Guude, Vintagebeef, Pauseunpause and Baj (just search these names in youtube, they are all playlisted on each of their channels) and watch from there to get the idea. Then you can move on to season 2,3 etc to get the idea.

I marathoned these when they came out last year. It actually got to the point where given UHC vs Season 2 of GoT I chose UHC lol

and I guess sound is clear because they all use professional microphones (maybe Nihon can enlighten us more on that ;) )

thanks. Watching season 2 now and they're very entertaining to listen to, but I wonder if they could edit their PoVs together into one video, so when eg Baj is screaming I can take a look at that.

Also, whats with the lack of desire to mine? They all end up on low health, but nobody suggests going mining for gold to make golden apples, they're just almost blithly heading off into danger.

edit: damn, didn't know you could do that
melon+gold + glowstone + gunpowder = instant health 3

ZZMitch

There is a general rule in UHC to not strip mine and to search by caving to find goodies in order to make it more interesting for the viewers. You are allowed to build stairs down tho to reach a cave.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
Hey all, I was just wondering what ever happened to the old NeoCraft server that Ark set up 2 years ago. I was hoping to log on and go take a look at it. It would have been the server we built Moria, Arkyoto etc. on. If you know if it still exists please hit me up with the info.

Thanks

There is a general rule in UHC to not strip mine and to search by caving to find goodies in order to make it more interesting for the viewers. You are allowed to build stairs down tho to reach a cave.

Yeah, it's codified in the unofficial rules because it's considered against the spirit of the game. Same with things like extra mods like the mini maps that show you where things are or texture packs that highlight diamond and gold ores.

Hey all, I was just wondering what ever happened to the old NeoCraft server that Ark set up 2 years ago. I was hoping to log on and go take a look at it. It would have been the server we built Moria, Arkyoto etc. on. If you know if it still exists please hit me up with the info.

Thanks

Alas that world was wiped with the great server reset of 2012. It was naturally replaced by a fantastic new world containing such wonders as Dome City and Mackville and all the Hovels Minsc. Art and everyone else built. If you want to visit the new world then quote the third post on the first page.

If you want to visit the old world you can download it from here :-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wuf7wcmkjq23vhz/lL7sc_yDa4/world.zip

Just download that and unzip it into your save game folder. To help you get around the old world here is a google map of the place :-

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18837300/oldmap/pigmap-default.html

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
ana8g.png

Quote this post to view the addresses.

Neocraft (Ark's)​
This is a survival server.
Click here to check the current map.

Address:

Help the server's maintenance! Donate!

Bibbity Boppity Boo

Dynamicsquid Minecraft (Timan's)​
This is a creative server.
You can check the server's website via the address below, which can also be used to connect to the game.

Address:

Old servers:

Here is a backup World file of the old Gafland Survival server, for players who wish to continue
building and expanding it on single-player mode.​

Bibbity Boppity Boo The Kat took a Pooh on You!

Ark

Thanks

Basically what Charlie said, unfortunately we had to reset the map.

EDIT: I should refresh pages before I post.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Huh, I hadn't been following the news and didn't realize that Minecraft Realms (officially hosted servers, monthly subscription fee?) was planned. Bunch of interview stuff:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/5/418...the-past-present-and-future-of-mojang-as-seen

Yeah, realms sounds good if performance is ok and the pricing is reasonable. And good news that they are still working on official mod support

And that image of the Skelly falling off a cliff in the article is beautiful

Stat!

Server has been updated to 1.5.1 so the 2 people still playing should update their copy of minecraft :p

Err I actually was going to come back but the server hadn't been updated so I kinda meh :p

PS: How feasible would it be to do our own version of UHC? (Just some of us, doing it, maybe on a voice chat channel, for some casual-competitive stuff?

Err I actually was going to come back but the server hadn't been updated so I kinda meh :p

PS: How feasible would it be to do our own version of UHC? (Just some of us, doing it, maybe on a voice chat channel, for some casual-competitive stuff?

It would definitely be feasible; we just need to organize it.

Sarcasm

On the neocraft server the mob spawner thing that spawns zombies, skeletons and spider. Worth the lever for experience or loot how do you create that?

So why does the download link for the old map force me to download a download manager

I don't want a download manager clogging up my hard drive

Ranger X

On the neocraft server the mob spawner thing that spawns zombies, skeletons and spider. Worth the lever for experience or loot how do you create that?

I made it (am wyzdom in the game).
I can show you how its made and visit the inners of the machine in-game if you want.

-Minsc-

Alas that world was wiped with the great server reset of 2012. It was naturally replaced by a fantastic new world containing such wonders as Dome City and Mackville and all the Hovels Minsc. Art and everyone else built. If you want to visit the new world then quote the third post on the first page.

Time to feel special, I was mentioned in a forum post.

*searches up the definition of hovels*

Yeah, you're right.

So why does the download link for the old map force me to download a download manager

I don't want a download manager clogging up my hard drive

You mean this link :-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wuf7wcmkjq23vhz/lL7sc_yDa4/world.zip

That link shouldn't be asking you to install a download manager. The file is being hosted on my dropbox account all you should see is the name of the file with a blue button that has the world "Download" on it. If you click on Download it will download the file using the browsers download manager.

Old servers:

Here is a backup World file of the old Gafland Survival server, for players who wish to continue
building and expanding it on single-player mode.​
This is the link of which I speak. Click it, it gives you an ad for a download manager. Wait 5 seconds to skip the ad, and it tries to download a different download manager.

But I'll just take your link instead, seems more trustworthy. Plus I'm under the impression this isn't the map I want, anyway.

Stat!

If anyone is bored I have a MindCrack Feed The Beast server up if anyone want to join.

Quote to see the IP

I've always wanted to try FTB. It might spark my interest. It has some cool stuff. Unfortunately, I'm 1.5 so if it ever gets upgraded, I'll join.

Err, I downgraded but then it says I need to join FML? Is that the actual mod?

Sarcasm

I've always wanted to try FTB. It might spark my interest. It has some cool stuff. Unfortunately, I'm 1.5 so if it ever gets upgraded, I'll join.

Err, I downgraded but then it says I need to join FML? Is that the actual mod?

MCMulti is your friend.

Top Bottom