• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Personally I think warping, setting home, and all that should remain off for this server. A lot of the items revolve around getting around better (hell, one of the IC2 endgame items IS a teleporter), and just being able to warp around for free cheapens that quite a bit.

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's possible to turn off the "sometimes IC2 wrenches break machines" feature, which someone just got bit by when his wrench turned his macerator into a machine block. I get why that feature is there (making the lossless wrench more worth it, encouraging good placement on the first try), but it's a little annoying to have to deal with, especially considering how expensive some of the GregTech machines are.

Alternatively, we can turn hard mode off on GregTech, I think, or disable some of the hard mode recipes. I'll have to check that, but I know solar panels on Madhouse's FTB server have the original recipe and not the GregTech hard mode one.

Mirk

Personally I think warping, setting home, and all that should remain off for this server. A lot of the items revolve around getting around better (hell, one of the IC2 endgame items IS a teleporter), and just being able to warp around for free cheapens that quite a bit.

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's possible to turn off the "sometimes IC2 wrenches break machines" feature, which someone just got bit by when his wrench turned his macerator into a machine block. I get why that feature is there (making the lossless wrench more worth it, encouraging good placement on the first try), but it's a little annoying to have to deal with, especially considering how expensive some of the GregTech machines are.

Ya i'll turn that off tonight. But yes I will not be adding warps. I will prolly add home just because a lot of people are used to setting a home. Also until I get lockette working dont forget you can make safes!

Vlad

Ya i'll turn that off tonight. But yes I will not be adding warps. I will prolly add home just because a lot of people are used to setting a home. Also until I get lockette working dont forget you can make safes!

Actually, I did a little reading and it turns out that the electric wrench has a "lossless" mode that uses more power, so it looks like that's one of those things that is able to be overcome without going all the way to the GraviTool or something.

Personally, I plan on making a nice big box of warded stone to protect all my stuff. Locked safes are one thing, but being able to protect the machines from griefing is too useful to pass up.

-Minsc-

Hmm, or maybe we can skip on lockette. ;) Give us a reason to make safes. :)

Chris_C

Okay, so I recently got Minecraft for myself and a buddy, and after trying out a few servers online, we found what seemed like a nice, vanilla server. Played for a couple of days, had a ton of fun... and now we can't connect to the server any longer.

I wanted to ask if it's okay for us both to play on the NeoGAF server (we'll be making regular monthly donations to its upkeep of course). Also, I wanted to ask if there were any rules that need to be observed (aside from the obvious no stealing, no griefing).

-Minsc-

Okay, so I recently got Minecraft for myself and a buddy, and after trying out a few servers online, we found what seemed like a nice, vanilla server. Played for a couple of days, had a ton of fun... and now we can't connect to the server any longer.

I wanted to ask if it's okay for us both to play on the NeoGAF server (we'll be making regular monthly donations to its upkeep of course). Also, I wanted to ask if there were any rules that need to be observed (aside from the obvious no stealing, no griefing).

Pretty much no stealing/griefing.

You can find the server address here.

Atomski

Anyone recommend a good cheap host for maybe around 6 people?

I keep looking at some sites but I swear I always get this feeling they are a scam or something :p

I don't care much for the bazillion mods, but it's rather nice being in full survival mode again on Mirk's.

I tried to look at the wiki for some of this shit and my eyes go crossed.

Vlad

I don't care much for the bazillion mods, but it's rather nice being in full survival mode again on Mirk's.

I tried to look at the wiki for some of this shit and my eyes go crossed.

How were things set up on the regular NeoGAF server if not pure survival? Everybody in creative mode or something?

As far as the mods go, I think I mentioned it to you on the server, but the best approach is probably to just pick one thing you want to learn to start and just focus on that. We're running the MindCrack FTB pack and there's a list of the included mods there. Just read through the basic "what they do" stuff and see what sounds interesting. I'd say the only thing that's a universally good idea to set up is a basic IndustrialCraft Generator/Batbox/Electric Furnace/Macerator setup. This lets you smelt things more efficiently, and the macerator lets you double your ore output (for example, putting an iron ore into a macerator will give you two iron dust, each of which can be smelted into an iron ingot).

A good place to start is the Achievements menu. Several of the mods have their own achievement tree, and the IndustrialCraft one in particular gives you a great idea of the order you'll need to make stuff in.

Getting used to Not Enough Items is another great help. That's the mod that shows all those blocks on the right of your inventory. If you press R while hovering over an item in NEI (or your own inventory) will show you the recipe for it. Pressing U while hovering over an item will show you every single recipe that item is used in (great for all those new ores).

Also, if you double-click the text box at the bottom of your inventory screen, it will turn yellow. When its in this mode, any item matching the string that you type in will be highlighted. Great if you're trying to find something in a huge chest and you don't want to scan over the whole thing.

Another thing to keep in mind is that several of the mods offer similar features. At least three of the mods introduce some sort of electricity:

IndustrialCraft uses Energy Units (EU)
BuildCraft uses Minecraft Joules (MJ)
Redpower uses Blutricity (measured in regular Volt/Watt/Amp).

So, if you're looking up an item and you see that it uses MJ, you'll know that you need to get some Buildcraft engines going. You can also convert from one type of energy to another. Both Redpower and IndustrialCraft have engines that allow you to convert from Blutricity or EU to MJ. Some of the other conversions are a little more complicated, however.

Also, once you get into moving stuff around with tubes, both BuildCraft and Redpower have their own setups. Redpower uses Pneumatic Tubes, while Buildcraft uses various types of pipe. Each has their own pros and cons which are too numerous to type out here.

The thing is, you don't even HAVE to use any of it. There's plenty else to do. If you want to really make Harvester 2.0, you can use the Soul Shards mod to make a dedicated spawner for each type of animal and mob, or just make a Handsaw and use MicroBlocks to really make some snazzy buildings.

I don't care much for the bazillion mods, but it's rather nice being in full survival mode again on Mirk's.p

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh really, well we can't have you "burdened" by Creative Mode on Neocraft now can we. I will take care of that little matter in about an hours time. Don't worry you will have survival mode back again and you won't need to thank me for it ;-)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh really, well we can't have you "burdened" by Creative Mode on Neocraft now can we. I will take care of that little matter in about an hours time. Don't worry you will have survival mode back again and you won't need to thank me for it ;-)

Nice! :D

You gonna kick me out of creative as well? Or do I have to be logged in for that?

Is it? I thought it was the first. Unless I forgot.

Maybe it is but I swear I heard another where he got your name right that you put up as well. I don't watch his stuff as much as I watch yours so if I heard another one it would have been something you put up, but then again I could be making stuff up in my head.

Mirk

So on the Mindcrack server. I will be shutting the server down a few hours tomorrow to try and get the server side mods up and running. I have decided I will not be adding in warping or Tp. With all the mods in the pack we have more then enough ways to get around. I will prolly be shutting it down around 11pm central time.

Also this weekend I would like to set up spawn so its a little more user friendly lol. So if anyone wants to help let me know. I would also like to Slay the End Dragon so we can get that open. I would like all who want to join in to be able to so lets set a time!

ALSO I do have a 25man ventrilo server I have had it for 8 years now lol. So if anyone would like to use it for Minecraft feel free. I set up some channels for the server.
quote to see info!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it? I thought it was the first. Unless I forgot.
He mentioned you a few weeks ago. I believe it was the episode about him talking about his vacation. Possibly the same episode he lost his awesome diamond tools when he decided to take a lovely swim in lava. (That's what you get when you carry everything you consider important in your pocket all at once.)

Sarcasm

So on the Mindcrack server. I will be shutting the server down a few hours tomorrow to try and get the server side mods up and running. I have decided I will not be adding in warping or Tp. With all the mods in the pack we have more then enough ways to get around. I will prolly be shutting it down around 11pm central time.

Also this weekend I would like to set up spawn so its a little more user friendly lol. So if anyone wants to help let me know. I would also like to Slay the End Dragon so we can get that open. I would like all who want to join in to be able to so lets set a time!

ALSO I do have a 25man ventrilo server I have had it for 8 years now lol. So if anyone would like to use it for Minecraft feel free. I set up some channels for the server.
quote to see info!

and here I am with my shack and a dirty floor lol

Not been able to connect to the server over the past few days. I keep getting the Connection refused: connect error and have no idea why. Any ideas?

Have you changed the server details. About a week ago the map was moved to a new server with a new IP and everything. You can find the relevant server details by quoting this post :-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53764323&postcount=19164

Right I am off to the one and only Neocraft server cos I know where my loyalties lie and damn you all to hell :p

He mentioned you a few weeks ago. I believe it was the episode about him talking about his vacation. Possibly the same episode he lost his awesome diamond tools when he decided to take a lovely swim in lava. (That's what you get when you carry everything you consider important in your pocket all at once.)

Yeah, that's the episode I actually pulled the audio from, I think :) Where he was building the wall. I think the lava was an earlier episode.

Unless he DID mention me twice. I'm gonna have to go watch again.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
D: don't hate we all still love vanilla mc /cry

I'm even worse than CC, as I sometimes feel that Neocraft runs too many mods for my liking, LOL!

I know that someday I'm going to go mod crazy with Minecraft. Somewhere down the road I'll walk into a FTB server without knowing anything about them and just explore and learn things from scratch, or I'll install a crapload of mods onto a new SSP world and completely change the entire game. I'm just not bored enough with vanilla yet to bother doing that.

Ranger X

No mention of 13w16a? Did I just miss it? Oh well.

Biggest inclusions include carpets, leashes, hay bales and horses
and horse armor :V
. Also, respiration enchantments let you see better underwater, and game difficulty now scales with how long you've stayed in the area.

Chris_C

So I hopped on the Neocraft survival server, walked for about 30 minutes into the wilderness but I can't collect any resources, when I break a block, it just respawns!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Carpet? Awesome. But they'd better change it so you get 16 or 32 from each two blocks of wool. 1 carpet for 2 wool is expensive. Even glass panes are generous.

789shadow

Banned
Carpet? Awesome. But they'd better change it so you get 16 or 32 from each two blocks of wool. 1 carpet for 2 wool is expensive. Even glass panes are generous.
It's not expensive, it's completely useless. You could just use the 2 wool to cover twice the area you'd get from the carpet.

How does the difficulty scale with time in an area? That sounds a bit worrying
I don't know, but I think they need to stop with this stuff. Let's face it, Minecraft's combat is terrible, but it isn't a problem because you aren't forced into always doing it. I HATE the new skeletons, I had to give myself arrows in my new SSP world via creative because at the beginning of the game they are nearly impossible to kill due to that stupid increase in shooting speed.

defel

How does the difficulty scale with time in an area? That sounds a bit worrying

From what I understand I dont think the actual difficulty level changes but the probability that mobs spawn with armour + enchants increases over time. Im sure that it resets once you leave the chunks and the mobs despawn.

I don't know, but I think they need to stop with this stuff. Let's face it, Minecraft's combat is terrible, but it isn't a problem because you aren't forced into always doing it. I HATE the new skeletons, I had to give myself arrows in my new SSP world via creative because at the beginning of the game they are nearly impossible to kill due to that stupid increase in shooting speed.

I disagree. Once you get to endgame (diamond armour, some solid enchantments and plenty of items) mobs are too easy. You can dive into a cave with relatively little concern because you know that providing you dont run into lava, you are not going to be killed by mobs. I think its good to bring back a bit of fear into the game - thats why I enjoy the first few hours of each world I start so much. I like having to think my way through caves, be careful and aware of my surrounding and considerate when venturing out during night time.

I completely agree that the Skeletons are OP though. I dont think the balance is quite right there. Just needs to be scaled down a little bit. Ive got a good skeleton farm and a sky-mob trap in my single player world so arrows arent a problem thankfully.

Sarcasm

Yea thats the point..get uber Armour and melt faces.

The combat is terrible though so that is my stance. Make it harder and on top really bad combat? lol no thanks.

Top Bottom