• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jasoco

Banned
Does anyone realize how hard and unintuitive it will be to play MC on a portable touchscreen device like iPhone or Android? Maybe the iPad, but anything else would be too small and you'd be dying all the time because you can't play as fast as you can with a keyboard and mouse.

I'd rather have Wii, 360 and PS3 versions before phone versions.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
Hey guys, I'm seeing a trend where people are capitalizing the name of the seed (first letter). I just tried "GARGAMEL" vs. "gargamel", and if it wasn't a fluke, it IS case sensitive. "gargamel" is the good one, so be careful that you don't pass around the wrong one and confuse people if you especially like some seed.
Well, it would be case sensitive. It's a seed for a random number generator! It doesn't use the word to generate things! The WORD has nothing to do with what the generator spits out. Only the letters (probably the ASCII value or something similar) and the order in which they appear. I mean, I know you probably know that, but whatever. J:

(Though maybe notch has implemented a few special cases, like Sahara being a huge desert? I dunno. Probably just a coincidence! I doubt "Amazon" spits out a jungle. (Someone prove me wrong.))

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Well, it would be case sensitive. It's a seed for a random number generator! It doesn't use the word to generate things! The WORD has nothing to do with what the generator spits out. Only the letters (probably the ASCII value or something similar) and the order in which they appear. I mean, I know you probably know that, but whatever. J:

(Though maybe notch has implemented a few special cases, like Sahara being a huge desert? I dunno. Probably just a coincidence! I doubt "Amazon" spits out a jungle. (Someone prove me wrong.))
Oh I'm aware it's almost certainly just a random number generator seed value, I was trying not to be obnoxious about telling people to be careful about "Gargamel" and "Glacier" (unless "Glacier" is actually awesome). And I only tested it once so I thought I -might- be mistaken.

Forkball

Here's some pics from the Forkball seed:

A wintery beach
CF8CAF277C2BBB64E022A8A44177F5C476D12030

Fishing hole?
7E7D20E503A713C7D3F6D8D9475DBB20B48AC505

Across from the wintery area is a lush forest.
19DF53CF25AD96A5F372B5AC60701BE4F3EAF305

Not the greatest, but I haven't seen ice in my main single player game yet, so it's pretty cool.

Jasoco

Banned
Twig said:

It's a hash value.

Here's a link where Jeb explains the whole thing:
http://mojang.com/2011/02/23/a-short-demystification-of-the-map-seed/

I repeat: This link explains EXACTLY how seeds work. And why capital letters are different than lowercase. It's all hash values. It simply changes the word into characters and the characters into a number and feeds that number into the random seed generator for the level. The seed only affects the terrain. But not the stuff mobs drop or where the minerals are placed. (Sadly)

I keep getting a peculiar bug with the gargamel seed; I spawn in a wall somewhere totally dark with no hope of getting out, and several times the game has crashed on me after a minute or two of trying. Game works fine normally.

JRW

I made this to illustrate the difference between the new smooth lighting vs. original:

mcraft_smooth_vs_original.gif

Notice how the old lighting had the greyscale test pattern effect.

Strummerjones said:
I keep getting a peculiar bug with the gargamel seed; I spawn in a wall somewhere totally dark with no hope of getting out, and several times the game has crashed on me after a minute or two of trying. Game works fine normally.

With that seed, everyone spawns in a dark cave. Some people say you have to dig straight up and out of the cave, but I found a way to just climb out.

But that's weird that your game crashes. That may just be a bug on your part.

JRW

Strummerjones said:

Make sure youre running Java 6 update 24, I kept having random crashes with update 23 and java didn't automatically notify me of a new version.

This link well tell you which version is installed: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Does anyone know if anyone still updates the Doku's Texture Pack for current versions of the game? I love the fantasy/RPG look of it. And if not, does anyone know a good alternative?

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

TeegsD

Is Minecraft.net down for anyone else. The browser beta is the only way for me to play the game as my desktop launcher wont work but now I cant even do this. My friend however is able to connect and play in browser. However on downforeveryoneorjustme.com says it is down. So Im confused

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
BLSwagger10 said:
Is Minecraft.net down for anyone else. The browser beta is the only way for me to play the game as my desktop launcher wont work but now I cant even do this. My friend however is able to connect and play in browser. However on downforeveryoneorjustme.com says it is down. So Im confused

www.minecraft.net is working for me. Just minecraft.net isn't, however.

I watched a couple of the Yogscast videos, which finally motivated me to get this game after months of hearing people go on about it.

Ton of fun, I love it already. I think it was really a great design decision to actually have enemies in the game. It puts some lovely constraints on the game. It would have been tempting, I'm sure, to develop the game as ALWAYS just being sandbox. Which is fine, but I find when I have too much freedom I end up doing not much of anything.

My first session of playing went something like this.

I loaded up, started off just by exploring around. Good fun. I found some huge mountains that I made it a goal to traverse. Night came, which I totally wasn't prepared for, so I just dug myself in a hole and stayed there all night. Spent the next day doing pretty much the same thing. After that, I decided to try a different map. Got to the top of a mountain, and saw another off in the distance. Decided I wanted to make a bridge to the other mountain. Figured it wouldn't be too hard. Still took me a good amount of time, and ended up killing myself probably about a dozen times. But I was proud to get it done, even though it looks terrible! After that, I struck out exploring again, seeing weird things like floating islands and endless desserts. Very awesome.

Now I'm wanting to create a base or home of some sort, and experiment a bit more with crafting. Also, I need to look into playing this online with others. That's got to be so much fun. A few people I know play Minecraft online, so I really need to hook up with them.

SenseiJinx said:
I watched a couple of the Yogscast videos, which finally motivated me to get this game after months of hearing people go on about it.

Ton of fun, I love it already. I think it was really a great design decision to actually have enemies in the game. It puts some lovely constraints on the game. It would have been tempting, I'm sure, to develop the game as ALWAYS just being sandbox. Which is fine, but I find when I have too much freedom I end up doing not much of anything.

My first session of playing went something like this.

I loaded up, started off just by exploring around. Good fun. I found some huge mountains that I made it a goal to traverse. Night came, which I totally wasn't prepared for, so I just dug myself in a hole and stayed there all night. Spent the next day doing pretty much the same thing. After that, I decided to try a different map. Got to the top of a mountain, and saw another off in the distance. Decided I wanted to make a bridge to the other mountain. Figured it wouldn't be too hard. Still took me a good amount of time, and ended up killing myself probably about a dozen times. But I was proud to get it done, even though it looks terrible! After that, I struck out exploring again, seeing weird things like floating islands and endless desserts. Very awesome.

Now I'm wanting to create a base or home of some sort, and experiment a bit more with crafting. Also, I need to look into playing this online with others. That's got to be so much fun. A few people I know play Minecraft online, so I really need to hook up with them.

A neat trick for building bridges is to hold down Shift to Crouch. Doing that will prevent you from falling off any ledge as long as you hold Shift down.

Xun

-Yeti said:
A neat trick for building bridges is to hold down Shift to Crouch. Doing that will prevent you from falling off any ledge as long as you hold Shift down.
Despite having played the game for months I literally only just discovered this today.

If only I had known sooner...

Toki1776

Xun said:
Despite having played the game for months I literally only just discovered this today.

If only I had known sooner...

If you hit alt while holding crouch (playing on Windows, anyway), it will stick after you click the mouse; just hit crouch again to stand up. Really helps for the long bridges, just don't forget to be on solid ground if you go into the menu, or you'll fall!

I think you can change crouch to caps to toggle it on Macs, not sure about that one, though...

Jasoco

Banned
-Yeti said:
Set Crouch to CAPS LOCK. Then you can toggle it with a button press. (They should make it toggle standard anyway) Just remember if you go into a menu, it will turn off even though CAPS will still be on. You will have to turn it off and back on to turn it back on.

Trust me. CAPS LOCK. It's the only real reason to keep that key on your computer.

Edit: Haha, yes. Does Caps not work on Windows? I think you have to hold something else while pressing it to get it to work.

Edit 2: Nope. CAPS only works on Mac. Windows you have to do the ALT thing...
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crouch

I love being able to toggle it. I really hope they realize that it would make more sense to allow it to be toggled. (As an option. Like how some FPS games have the crouch button or scope button as optionally toggleable.

Wool

Well, I just tried playing single player again, and I had absolutely no fun. I had no motivation to build anything, no one to talk to, no subways to ride, it was terrible. The Gaf server has spoiled me......

In regards to the crouching, it is extremely useful but has gotten me killed quite a few times too. If you are up high and crouching to stay on the edge of a block, and then you place a gravel on the side of the block you were on the edge of you will fall.

Question: Do you guys play with the bobbing on or off? I have been playing with the bobbing on the entire time, as it feels more like walking, but I don't know if there is any actual difference.

Ranger X

I have alot of fun by myself in my world.
I love exploration so I'll be pretty OCD about this game I think.

Is the GAF server peaceful or people are going PVP in there? Is there alot of people breaking your stuff for fun? (wich is not fun at all)
Anyhow, I don't want to downgrade anyways...

Ranger X said:
I have alot of fun by myself in my world.
I love exploration so I'll be pretty OCD about this game I think.

Is the GAF server peaceful or people are going PVP in there? Is there alot of people breaking your stuff for fun? (wich is not fun at all)
Anyhow, I don't want to downgrade anyways...

There are mobs, so it's not peaceful in that aspect. However, it's not PVP(unless your in a designated area that no one is ever in, lol) and griefing is pretty much nonexistent. I've never had any problem with people stealing/breaking my stuff.

Once everything is updated you should definitely check it out. :D

Ranger X

WolfofMebu said:
There are mobs, so it's not peaceful in that aspect. However, it's not PVP(unless your in a designated area that no one is ever in, lol) and griefing is pretty much nonexistent. I've never had any problem with people stealing/breaking my stuff.

Once everything is updated you should definitely check it out. :D

Nice. I totally will!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I keep downloading the updates and messing around with the new stuff every time but until last night i hadn't properly got back into it.

But god dammit Minecraft. I sued "Glacier" as the seed thanks to MinecraftForums and it's a fucking amazing world, or at least the area i was spawned in was.
Addicted and back in full swing.

Jasoco

Banned
Made my first trip into the Nether in my new world. Can finally make eternal fires! Though there were no Ghasts. Do Ghasts not exist in Easy? I saw Zombie Pigmen, but nothing flying. And no screaming like I heard in a video after Halloween. Is the Nether gimped in easy mode? I want at least some challenge! Maybe one or two gimped Ghasts with bad eyesight or something?

Anyway, I built my portal on a sandstone platform in the desert near my base mountain castle I've been building. Got some fire to put in the four corners. So cool...

-Yeti said:
With that seed, everyone spawns in a dark cave. Some people say you have to dig straight up and out of the cave, but I found a way to just climb out.

Ahh, my bad!

I checked my java but I already have the updated version. I'm still getting crashes though. I assumed at first it might be the game not liking the weird gargamel start, but I've been playing other worlds all morning and it will work fine for ages before freezing up. Never had problems before, I guess I'll just wait till a new version of either Minecraft/Java is out.

gargamel is awesome. As soon as I jumped my way out of the spawn pit I was impressed. It's like one of my earlier random seeds but all the heights are at least half again. Thinking I might make a small hut on the peak near the waterfall to the front and left of the spawn pit and go from there. I can feel my spare time being sucked into Minecraft again.

Sofo

Any ideas when will Exano's server be updated or how to downgrade? Read the couple first pages and couldn't find it. Thanks! Would appreciate continuing my towers :)

AutoGibbon

Neo Member
Sofo said:
Any ideas when will Exano's server be updated or how to downgrade? Read the couple first pages and couldn't find it. Thanks! Would appreciate continuing my towers :)

Exano says he'll be running 1.3 in a few days, but in the meantime read this

Neo Member
After running scared from caves and creepers, I can officially say that flailing around with pointy metal things in the dark has made me a man.

...and yet I still got scared shitless when running into a skele with one heart left. Carrying around a bunch of valuables and being far away from spawn really puts weight on you.

For those of you who haven't tried it, use the seed "404". If you see a lake with some gravel nearby, then dig in it. Make sure to have a sword and armor ready.

kai3345

Banned
10204307 said:
After running scared from caves and creepers, I can officially say that flailing around with pointy metal things in the dark has made me a man.

...and yet I still got scared shitless when running into a skele with one heart left. Carrying around a bunch of valuables and being far away from spawn really puts weight on you.

For those of you who haven't tried it, use the seed "404". If you see a lake with some gravel nearby, then dig in it. Make sure to have a sword and armor ready.
Oh wow, such a big cave, and right next to the spawn too!

I literally said wow out loud when punching probably only my 3rd block of gravel and then all of a sudden it all collapses, forming a massive staircase leading to this massive cave.

I fucking love this game.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Made my first trip into the Nether in my new world. Can finally make eternal fires! Though there were no Ghasts. Do Ghasts not exist in Easy? I saw Zombie Pigmen, but nothing flying. And no screaming like I heard in a video after Halloween. Is the Nether gimped in easy mode? I want at least some challenge! Maybe one or two gimped Ghasts with bad eyesight or something?

Anyway, I built my portal on a sandstone platform in the desert near my base mountain castle I've been building. Got some fire to put in the four corners. So cool...

Woa wait, (just started playing 2 days ago), there's a sub world to our world in the game???????? What the hell is this? lol

Ranger X said:
Woa wait, (just started playing 2 days ago), there's a sub world to our world in the game???????? What the hell is this? lol

Minepedia is your friend. Just type in The Nether and prepare to shit your pants.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ranger X said:
you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Minecraft.net is just loading a blank white page for me. Anyone else having issues?

Ranger X

Pinko Marx said:
Minepedia is your friend. Just type in The Nether and prepare to shit your pants.

Just went!! Wow. Looks like I have a new mission for myself. I'll need to dig obsidian. Wait, I'll need to find diamonds first...

Sofo said:

It's pretty easy to downgrade, hardest part is finding the files to do it with.

All you have to do is go to the "bin" file in your ".minecraft" folder. You just delete and replace everything except the "version" file with the 1.2 "bin" files and you should be good to go. Then when ever you want to upgrade it you just delete the "version" file and once you log into minecraft it will download all the updates.

Figures when I finally get back into the mood after not playing for months (Little bit before Halloween).... it's down. Dang, hope it's back up soon. I know there's a lot that's been added since I stopped so I can't wait to try it out again.

Another fun first day experience. At night time I decided to try a different method for escaping monsters. Just made a huge tower to stand on top of, thinking that nothing could hurt me up there. Little did I know that the skeletons had arrows...

I also had no idea that mining would actually be so much fun in "Mine"craft. Dug some of my first tunnels last night. Most of what I'd seen of the game previously was overworld stuff. I love exploring these huge "natural" dungeons, and then just digging down as far as possible.

Ranger X

I found a pond of lava down there. I did bring some buckets of water there but I have a problem making obsidian blocks. I pour the water on the lava, sometimes it becomes an obsidian block, sometimes it doesn't. I don't understand (so far) what the rule is...

Can someone clarify this for me?

:)

Top Bottom