• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Vita Edition |OT| Sony dealt, 4J developed, Mojang owned, MS nothin'.

minecraft_raw.jpg

SEN Store Page
Release Dates:
(PSN)
NA: Tuesday October 14th 2014
EU: Wednesday October 15th 2014
JP: ?
Retail
NA: November 11th 2014
EU: TBC
JP: TBC

Pricing:
$19.99/£12.99

General Information
Publisher: Mojang/
Microsoft Studios
Developer: 4J Studios
Genre: Survival, Sandbox, Creation

• Well, if you don't know what Minecraft is yet... I mean, really? Okay. So you're a very low-res man in a deceptively scary world, armed with only the natural resources of the expansive world around you, and a seemingly tirelees fist. You have to use these resources, whatever food you can find, and whatever insanely imaginative buildings you can construct to survive the dangerous world of Minecraft, alone or with friends.
  • The full console Minecraft experience on your Playstation Vita!
    World size (and everything else for that matter) is on a par with the PS3/Xbox 360 versions of the game
  • Play online or locally via ad-hoc with up to 7 other friends.
  • Will presumably be updated regularly with free content by 4J Studios.
  • The game features Cross-Buy!
    Well, sort of, depending on your systems. Explained in full below!

So.... Cross-Buy, huh?
So this is something I've seen confusion about in several threads. Here's how it works;

PS3 Version: PS Vita version included. Can upgrade to PS4 version for $4.99/£
PS Vita Version: PS3 version included. Can upgrade to PS4 version for $4.99/£
PS4 Version: NO CROSS BUY/VERSION DISCOUNT (as of yet)

You can get all three versions for $25, but only if you buy in the correct order! Also, all skin and texture packs purchased on any version should be Cross-Buy as well.

What about Cross-Save?

Again, more confusion. How it works is this;

PS3 SAVE <-> VITA SAVE (Two-Way Transfer)
These two are completely interchangeable, with the ability to make your world on the go, upload to PS3, then download again to your Vita. This is due to the versions and world size being the same.

PS3 & VITA SAVE -> PS4 SAVE (One Way Transfer)
You can send old saves to PS4, but you can't bring the worlds back due to technical reasons.

What about Cross-Play?
Unfortunately not, you can't play across platforms (PS3 and Vita)
Media

Screenshots:
Minecraft-PSVIta-790x448.jpg

BncebO0CIAA-fVX.png

minecraft-ps-vita-edition.jpg

Video:
Official Trailer
9 minutes of Off-Screen Gameplay at Gamescom

REVIEWS
Watch this space.

FAQ

Wow this seems like a great game! Can i pick it up packed in with a Vita?
No. No, you cannot. For reasons unbeknownst to all beings with a modicum of common sense, no hardware bundle has been announced
Will Microsoft stop this from coming out?
No.
What's the difference between this and the Pocket Edition?
Not as much as there used to be, but the mobile version does boast infinite worlds whilst the Vita version does not. Meanwhile, the Vita version has things like redstone mechanics that the mobile edition lacks, which many would argue is a huge part of creation in MC.
Are there touch screen controls?
Nope, the touch screen/back touch/gyroscope are not implemented. Buttons only! Some aspects of the game, i.e. inventory/menu can be controlled using the touch screen.

USEFUL LINKS
4J Studios Twitter Page
Useful for news about updates, bug fixes, and more than occasionally soul crushing delays
Minecraft Wiki
Because if I genuinely tried to explain half the stuff in this game, my OT would never get posted
Trophy List
There are 51 trophies in total, with one of these being a Platinum! They are a separate list, but the same trophies as the PS4 edition.

pdk27

Been waiting for this one for more than a few months. Can't wait to take my PS3 world on the go with me.

will have this cross buy but tempted to buy it physical so I contribute to it's retail chart numbers. can always sell it to the legions of kids who are going to rush out and save the vita now right? right?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
So if I buy the Vita version I get the ps3 one free. Then I can pay the small amount and get the ps4 version? Is that a deal?

killatopak

Gold Member
MasterBalls, I hope you're happy. You've been waiting for this and asked for this for the longest time that I can remember.

Let's play the heck out of Minecraft Vita.

ChrisD

Will download ASAP to begin building battle arenas for my brother and I to utilize. No more screen-peaking, allowing for so many more possibilities! Underground caverns to sneak around in, little ninja places, archer towers.

I neeeeeed it.

MasterBalls, I hope you're happy. You've been waiting for this and asked for this for the longest time that I can remember.

Let's play the heck out of Minecraft Vita.
I KNOWWW MAN. It comes along in the busiest period of my life by far. Still kinda pissed I didn't get to binge it over August when I had nothing to do, but ah well.
So if I buy the Vita version I get the ps3 one free. Then I can pay the small amount and get the ps4 version? Is that a deal?
Yep, $5 upgrade.
Surely the publisher is Mojang/Sony? :p
Honestly I wasn't sure, bit of a legal clusterfuck.
will have this cross buy but tempted to buy it physical so I contribute to it's retail chart numbers. can always sell it to the legions of kids who are going to rush out and save the vita now right? right?

Well they made the PS4 discount apply with physical copies, so who knows!

The console versions show you the craft recipes, right?
That turned me off of the PC version and I got bored of god mode.
$20 for PS3 and Vita is a pretty good deal.

teraMEL0S

When you write Mojang now, it is Microsoft. So, this is a joint Sony-Microsoft product if Sony is a publisher of sorts on these versions (which I imagine they are). This world is strange.

Alchemy

Is it weird that I want LAN support for PS3/Vita for this? Vita TV arrives tomorrow and I'd love to do local multiplayer on multiple TVs >.>

Auron

Is there a split-screen multiplayer option for this version (Not even sure if PSTV supports multiple controllers)? If so, I may pick it up for the kids bedroom.

GulAtiCa

862 by 862 blocks. Not tiny, but not Skyrim sized either.

To be honest, that's a little tiny to me. But maybe I just got used to PS4's 4800x4800 size.

Anyways, I'm not getting the game (since I have it for PS4). But look forward to see what everyone creates!

Is there a split-screen multiplayer option for this version (Not even sure if PSTV supports multiple controllers)? If so, I may pick it up for the kids bedroom.

PSTV supports multiple controllers, so who knows. Seems like it'd be pretty taxing for the Vita's CPU though.

Flandy

It should have been obvious they'd have a seperate trophy list.
I mean, the game is called Minecraft: Playstation Vita Edition. It'd be weird if it had a Vita icon on the version that says Playstation 3 edition :lol

It should have been obvious they'd have a seperate trophy list.
I mean, the game is called Minecraft: Playstation Vita Edition. It'd be weird if it had a Vita icon on the version that says Playstation 3 edition :lol

I thought it'd have a seperate list, but the same trophies, seeing as they're the same version.

Flandy

I thought it'd have a seperate list, but the same trophies, seeing as they're the same version.

Yeah I thought the same at first but then I thought it'd look weird if on my trophy list it said the following

Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition
-PS3 -PSVita

After I thought of that I assumed it'd have separate trophy lists

Top Bottom