• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Vita Edition |OT| Sony dealt, 4J developed, Mojang owned, MS nothin'.

MattyG

Banned
Ah that's a shame to hear. Unplayable? As bad/worse than Borderlands 2?
It's playable. It's at its worst when you're looking out over a large swath of land or something. It's really solid with smaller lines of sight, but when it does get choppy, I'd say it's about BL2 level. I've been playing BL2 te last few days actually, so it's pretty fresh in my mind, and I think that would be an accurate comparison.

Seventy5

When the store was still updating I was able to get this for $4.99 even though I only own the PS4 version. It is now showing $20, but maybe there is hope for a $5 upgrade once the store update is final.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
So how does it look? Does it run at sub-native resolution as some people speculated? If so, is the UI natively scaled or is it all blurry?

Mastperf

Not sure. It doesn't show up when I search Minecraft or Minecraft Vita. It might have to do with it being listed as 4.99 instead of 19.99 for some people with the PS4 version.

fernoca

Downloaded my "free version" along the skin and texture packs I owned.

Looks really nice on the LCD, but going to work now and pick the PSTV.

Mastperf

It must just be an issue with the PS4 browser. I tried looking up the texture packs for Vita but it only showed PS3 and PS4 versions. The link you posted rakes me straight to it but if I try a search it shows nothing. Sorry, my mistake.
On another note, I'm glad to see my texture packs transfer to all Playstation versions.

With the release of the Vita version of Minecraft I believe I may actually give this game a shot. I've had zero interest in this game since it's beta days, but the idea of being able to play it on the go and having access to the PS3 version (and PS4 version at a discounted price) I may have to cave in and buy this.

but the idea of being able to play it on the go and having access to the PS3 version (and PS4 version at a discounted price) I may have to cave in and buy this.
This is exactly why I am buying it. I could never get in to it before. But having it portable will completely change everything about the game. I can't wait to get my mitts on it.

Jumpman23

It must just be an issue with the PS4 browser. I tried looking up the texture packs for Vita but it only showed PS3 and PS4 versions. The link you posted rakes me straight to it but if I try a search it shows nothing. Sorry, my mistake.
On another note, I'm glad to see my texture packs transfer to all Playstation versions.

When I try selecting "Add to Cart", I get a pop-up error:

"You are not eligible to purchase or download this content."

Guessing Sony does not want my monies...?

Framerate at first glance (overlooking starting area/expanse) seems smooth enough! It is sub native res but it looks good enough. I'm not complaining.

How does the online work in this?

I have a sneaky suspicion the 3DS will get over it...

I'm really curious to see what happens this Christmas with sales. Either this will be a major bump to Vita, or it will just be ignored since it is the hundredth version of Minecraft.

I think this could really be huge, but Sony MUST advertise it and get the word out that this is a real Minecraft game in a portable.

DedValve

Banned
online in this is pretty smooth, 2 friends just joined me and the first brand new world I started up had me spawn right next to a buried desert temple.

15350840249_0118d9a227_o.jpg

15513997276_a43c8b16d5_o.jpg

15514007326_1f940a4f09_o.jpg
Spawned in a Jungle.

DedValve

Banned
Sub resolution, AND pretty choppy? No thanks, you'd have to pay me to play it. Ugh.... Man I was really hyped for this :(

The framerate hasn't hit me too hard despite long viewing distances. There is A LOT more pop-in but framerate is pretty stable for the most part minus a few dips here and there.

I didn't notice much about resolution but it looks like minecraft and not a blurry mess like most sub-res games, the nature of minecrafts graphics really help it.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a new trophy list or is it shared with PS3 version?
New trophy list. Same trophies as the PS4 version apparently.

And those screens looks alright. UI seems properly scaled. I blame the Vita screenshot compression for the artifacting.

So there's like a ton of options in this game. I might try to upload some screenshots but there's menus upon menus for HUD scaling and other things. Not all options are useful though

Is there a new trophy list or is it shared with PS3 version?

Appears to be a separate trophy list

Human_me

So how does it look? Does it run at sub-native resolution as some people speculated? If so, is the UI natively scaled or is it all blurry?

Not sure about the UI, but the game renders at 720x408 I believe (judging by the resolution of the official screenshots that have been released.)

Can't wait to try this out. I was playing Minecraft PS4 on Vita with remote play, and the game played great for the most part. The only downfall being a slight difficulty in aiming when placing difficult blocks with only a sliver of aim space.

It's too bad that I can't transfer PS4 worlds over to this, but that would be wishful thinking. It will just be awesome having a legit portable Minecraft.

Tapejara

Game actually looks pretty nice on Vita, I was worried after seeing the Gamescom trailer. But goddamn that framerate is horrible.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure about the UI, but the game renders at 720x408 I believe (judging by the resolution of the official screenshots that have been released.)
Yeah, that's what I was expecting. Pretty low, but thankfully Minecraft isn't about small details so it should be fine.
No shit; my son's reaction to seeing me play Minecraft on my Vita:

"I'll let you play the 3DS dad... If I can play your Vita."

Good game Nintendo time to hang it up tho.
It begins.
Game actually looks pretty nice on Vita, I was worried after seeing the Gamescom trailer. But goddamn that framerate is horrible.
Huh, I thought it looked pretty solid from what I saw in the preview builds. Is it worse now?

GulAtiCa

It's too bad that I can't transfer PS4 worlds over to this, but that would be wishful thinking. It will just be awesome having a legit portable Minecraft.

I'd double dip for Vita version if they upped the world size so they could do PS4 cross-save. I'd give anything for that.

Options for the game

Main Menu

15535142051_c1fa2efd67_o.jpg

Help & Options Submenu

15535142011_9285c1788e_o.jpg

Controls Submenu under Help & Options Submenu

14917657233_b3c9e05574_o.jpg

Setting Submenu under Help & Options Submenu

15535142141_a5d00fab19_o.jpg

Options Submenu under Settings submenu

15514131036_5e4acd5cbd_o.jpg

Audio Submenu under Settings Submenu

15537835845_0a528b3447_o.jpg

Control Submenu under Settings submenu

15351203209_cee868a183_o.jpg

Different than controls under Help & Options

Graphics Submenu under Setting Submenu

15351815857_7c2a862d42_o.jpg

User Interface Submenu under Settings Submenu

15535142521_b31ff8c5ff_o.jpg

Lots of options

Tapejara

Yeah, that's what I was expecting. Pretty low, but thankfully Minecraft isn't about small details so it should be fine.

It begins.

Huh, I thought it looked pretty solid from what I saw in the preview builds. Is it worse now?

Unfortunately I can't compare it to the preview builds, but the game can get pretty choppy.

Top Bottom