• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Vita Edition |OT| Sony dealt, 4J developed, Mojang owned, MS nothin'.

I cannot get the hang of running, the monsters are going to love me.
Is there really no auto-run toggle? Getting the full version tomorrow for sure anyway.

Sez

I have one important question. The world I'm creating a huge city on the PS3 is not on my user, it's on my brothers user. There is any way to import the map to my vita (that can only have my user)? or i'm screwed?

Foshy

I hope they can fix the framerate in a patch. Other than that, it's nice. I mean, yeah, it's Minecraft, what you expect is what you get.

Funny little thing I've noticed; at the splash screen it says "Minecraft Vita broke all sorts of records!". Did they just swap it for "Playstation 3" during porting, or are they just super confident....

GulAtiCa

Funny little thing I've noticed; at the splash screen it says "Minecraft Vita broke all sorts of records!". Did they just swap it for "Playstation 3" during porting, or are they just super confident....

Says that for PS4 version too. Likely just random text that rotates.

Says that for PS4 version too. Likely just random text that rotates.

But probably somewhat true considering how it eats up the charts whatever system it's on...

This thing was a huge stealth release though. Minimal advertising, no banner ad on the PSN Store, no reviews either. Honestly, they are leaving money on the table. Hell, they are leaving money outside the door in the rain.

Wohoo it's finally here. Played it for about an hour and it's a bit rough around the edges but perfectly playable. Some things I've noticed

1. Framerate can get choppy when chunks are loading in
2. When you place a block there's a slight delay before the block appears.
3. When I was chopping trees with my hands and looking straight up there was no animation of it being chopped even though it eventually fell.
4. I was building a house in the moddle of a small lake and everytime I placed a block just at water height it would flash black all around me

Weird bugs but nothing that is game breaking and can't be fixed.

How often did this go on sale in the playstation store for the PS3 version? Was it ever a free paystaiton plus game?

Just wondering if its better to wait a few months with the holiday coming and all

How often did this go on sale in the playstation store for the PS3 version? Was it ever a free paystaiton plus game?

Just wondering if its better to wait a few months with the holiday coming and all

It's basically never ever ever going to happen ever. I feel fairly confident in saying that.

btkadams

I don't think it's ever been on sale. It definitely hasn't been a PS+ game. I wouldn't wait for a sale.

Reading through various issues people are having and I gotta admit I'm not really sure what the source of the issues are. The only bugs I've experienced are weird clipping issues with dropped blocks/animals and occasionally missing an animation. I also haven't had very many framerate drops that in any way hinder the experience. Overall I'm super impressed.
Though I still miss the big worlds and more recent biomes

So, being a MC n00b here....when you die and drop all your stuff...any way to know roughly where it is aside from remembering your location? I was on my way back to my house, fully loaded with mats for my house, when I was ambushed. I am now on a mad hunt to find them. Do they disappear after a set time? It's almost night time, and I'm tempted to go back to the house & sleep to make it daytime.

Flandy

So here's a potentially stupid question: I've read and re-read the OP but just want a bit of clarification on the "Cross-buy" stuff. As I understand it, because I've purchased the Vita version I have immediate access to the PS3 version. I can transfer my save data between these two versions. For an additional $4.99, I can purchase the PS4 version (which is discounted from the $19.99 cost now?). However, if I choose to move my save to the PS4 version I can no longer access the same content back on my Vita/PS3 copy. Otherwise for a grand total of about $25 I can get all three versions of the game? Is that right?

Also on topic a bit I've been having an absolute blast with the game on Vita. I've never played Minecraft before, but I'm beginning to "get it". So far I've only built a shelter inside of a mountain, with a hidden basement room built into it. The game plays really well, I haven't noticed any issues or anything so far at least.

Correct on everything except I'm pretty sure if you transfer it to PS4 you can still use it on Vita. I was still able to use my PS3 save after transferring it to Vita
One of the best video game soundtracks of recent memory. Understated, but so... zen!
I agree. I have't played the PC version in forever and I haven't touched the PS3 version since like July. When did they add new music?

It's never been on sale. It likely won't go on sale for a long time and it probably won't be a PS+ game for at least a year. Just get it now

Cornbread78

Here's a question, how is this even possible?

User: eric1497

46 of 51 Trophies

Gap
3 hours, 40 minutes, 12 seconds

There is no way.....

Reposting from the Vita thread

Just got Minecraft Vita for free, thank you french PSN<3.

For those who want to try it you have to add the PS3 demo in to you're cart and "buy it" then you do the same with the Vita version (not sure if obligatory) then you "buy" the PS3 version of the game and you'll have the Vita version since the game is cross-buy. It might work on the EU PSN.

ChrisD

So my brother can't load up his world. Keeps giving error C2-12818-1. Apparently it's extremely common for both PS3 and Vita. But the fixes given (turn off Wi-Fi, reboot system) aren't working.

Anyone know what to do? Mine loads fine, so it's not a server issue.

jwk94

I am not 100%, I have not been able to have this confirmed by someone, but I believe I remember hearing a while back that if you played the PS3 version before a certain date, 8/31 or 9/31, you got the Vita version for free.

Sounds like you're right which is really dumb.

Sounds like you're right which is really dumb.
Yea, it is pretty silly, kind of screwing out all those that bought the PS3 game AFTER those dates.

But then, it prevents one copy from circulating through a group of friends, giving as many free copies as systems it gets put in. Honestly, my GF's younger sister has a copy sitting at their dads house, and I was going to "borrow" it to attempt a free copy, but I decided to just bite the bullet and go with the Vita version in case I got the wild hair up my bum to play the console version. But...I've help off playing this until it hit Vita, I realllly don't see me bucking that trend now..

Sorry bud, to you and everyone else who got borked by this.

Just to be clear both the PS3 and Vita versions are available for free in EU with the trick from my post.

I just saw the trick posted in a comment at Wololo and tried it myself. Works perfectly. The instructions I followed said to download the PS4 trial as well, but that's probably not required.

I downloaded the PS4 trial through my PS4. The steps for PS3/Vita I did through my laptop. Then sent the download to my Vita.

What is the size of the demo version? And how can I know ingame that it is the demo?

The demo version downloads the full game, but limits what you can play.

If you follow all the steps and the price of the game doesn't show up anymore on the PS Store, then you definitely have the full game.

Within the game itself I think I read that being able to save is the marker for whether you have the full game. Also not sure, but I think getting trophies is another one?

Juraash

Is the map size from the demo indicative of the map size in the full version? I'm used to the PC version, and while I don't expect basically unlimited maps, I feel like the map size is a bit restrictive. Is one world basically one chunk?

I'd already bought and paid for the PS4 version, played a total of like 20 minutes so this 'free' vita version will at least get me to play it again.

Flandy

Is the map size from the demo indicative of the map size in the full version? I'm used to the PC version, and while I don't expect basically unlimited maps, I feel like the map size is a bit restrictive. Is one world basically one chunk?

Yes.
360/PS3/Vita - 862×862 Blocks
PS4/Xbone - 5172x5172 Blocks

EDIT: Nevermind. The way the PS Store lays things out is very confusing (doesn't indicate that the Minecraft for PS4 I have "purchased" is a trial). The PS4 version of the game is NOT Cross-buy.

co1onel

Are there touch screen controls?
Nope, the touch screen/back touch/gyroscope are not implemented. Buttons only!

That's too bad. The menus would be much easier to navigate with the touch screen.

repeater

Sony's brilliant five-step masterplan:

1. Take forever to bring out a Vita port of Minecraft.
2. Release that port without any kind of marketing whatsoever.
3. Make it free via a store glitch.
4. ???
5. Profit.

4. ???
5. Profit.
??? = Those of us getting it for free for Vita liking the game so much that we end up buying it on PS4.

Zareka

The demo version downloads the full game, but limits what you can play.

If you follow all the steps and the price of the game doesn't show up anymore on the PS Store, then you definitely have the full game.

Within the game itself I think I read that being able to save is the marker for whether you have the full game. Also not sure, but I think getting trophies is another one?

I just got the Vita game via the store glitch and I've been getting trophies.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

4. ???
5. Profit.
WHAT?! How?

Zareka

WHAT?! How?

Go on to the web store, then

1. Download the PS3 demo
2. Download the Vita demo
3. Go back to the PS3 version. It should show up as free.
4. Download that, and you should have the PS3 and Vita versions (cross buy) in your download list for free.

Human_me

That's too bad. The menus would be much easier to navigate with the touch screen.

There is most defiantly touch screen controls, you can use them for crafting and selecting items on your tools at the bottom of the screen.
Though it isn't implemented for your inventory for some reason.

Edit: It works for the main menu and settings as well.

Kiru

1. Download the PS3 demo
4. Download that, and you should have the PS3 and Vita versions (cross buy) in your download list for free.

PS4 is then free too.

SmokyDave

1. Download the PS3 demo
I'd never do anything this disgusting because I'm not a filthy thief. However, if I did, I'd wager that downloading the PS3 demo isn't even necessary. A friend told me that you can just do steps 2, 3, and 4.

Bravo123

Neo Member
You just add the PS3 full game to basket and it will change to 0.00 at checkout.
Just did this a few mins ago. tested the Vita version and it unlocks trophies.

Top Bottom