• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Vita Edition |OT| Sony dealt, 4J developed, Mojang owned, MS nothin'.

lewisgone

My world doesn't have a village anywhere in it? :( Oh well. Also, did anyone else use the bonus chest option? It looks like the chest respawns every time you load up the file. Is that supposed to happen? A little annoying, but oh well. Loving the game overall.

ShadiWulf

i got a chicken and sheep farm right next to each other, they aren't super crowded yet or anything, but, i can feel the game lag a bit when around them and I can also feel my Vita getting warmer. I guess all the entities must be stressing the processor. Something I'll have to keep in mind when playing on Vita.

My world doesn't have a village anywhere in it? :( Oh well. Also, did anyone else use the bonus chest option? It looks like the chest respawns every time you load up the file. Is that supposed to happen? A little annoying, but oh well. Loving the game overall.

That's a con to having such a small world map. Since everything is randomly generated you're not guaranteed to get everything. You'll have to generate a new world if you want a world generated village.

Alright, I caved in and bought it. For some reason I'm actually getting back into minecraft, even though I got super bored of it on the PC version. I guess the portability aspect makes it feel fresh.

What version is this one based on? Seems like I recognize everything from the last time I played the PC one two years ago.

I'm actually this close to buying the game (Vita ver.). So tell me, how does the online work? And what happens at the offline mode? Can your game be opened to a network a-la Demon's Souls if you wish? How does connections with players go? Should I be invited or do I need to start a lobby?

Steel

Banned
I'm actually this close to buying the game (Vita ver.). So tell me, how does the online work? And what happens at the offline mode? Can your game be opened to a network a-la Demon's Souls if you wish? How does connections with players go? Should I be invited or do I need to start a lobby?

1. Online can work in any save you have, and any save you have can be made offline. Up to 8 people can be in one game, and they can wander around wherever they want on the map out of your sight. There are settings that you can activate before going into the game related to online play. If you choose to uncheck the "Trust players" box then players who join your game can't do anything but move until you give them individual permissions to: Attack players, press swtiches/open doors, open chests, mine blocks, etc. This helps prevent trolling. You can also turn off the ability for players to hurt/kill each other before you start a game. There's also a "Host options" toggle, that if you turn on will turn off trophies for the world you're doing it on permanently. However with host options on, you can make yourself able to fly, invisble/invunerable, teleport to players and teleport other players to you among other things.

2. Any save can be made offline, and toggled back to online. The only real difference between the two beyond the obvious is that in offline mode you can pause.

3. Somewhat(not a-la demons souls). When you make a game, it gets posted in the server browser for all your friends(unless you set it to invite only). You can also set it so that friends of friends can see your game, opening up the possibilities a bit. There is no full on open to everyone game however.

4-5. Either or. And you can also join other people's games that are on your friends list(or are friends of friends) that are open in the server browser.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I was playing the demo, and I'm seriously tempted to get back into this on Vita.

However, I was a bit overwhelmed by the entire castle and all those seemingly great items you can loot from the chests right at the start...

Is this the same for everyone, or was this a particular feature of the trial version?

I was playing the demo, and I'm seriously tempted to get back into this on Vita.

However, I was a bit overwhelmed by the entire castle and all those seemingly great items you can loot from the chests right at the start...

Is this the same for everyone, or was this a particular feature of the trial version?

I think it's only for the Trial (I didn't play the Trial). I spawned in a jungle with a map, that's all.

SmokyDave

You can just let it sit there for a while. You will eventually starve to death.
Ah, I didn't know that worked. Nice one!

I could feel that 'ah shit, I'm going to play way too much of this' creeping up on me last night. Being able to jump in and out of my missus' world at random is great.

Hollycat

This is one of the greatest handheld experiences since battle network.

People online are great. One guy whose world I jumped into let me blow up his house since he was making a better one.

Finally bought the game and passed my first tutorial level. I'm currently at the trading phase, can't wait to meet people online. Hit me up @ LTH-Scarecrow

Looking for some advise - this is the first time playing the game,
I'm having real issues finding Iron Ore anywhere. I only have a few caves in my world. Had a good dig in them and just randomly diged is places in the game but nothing.
Aware that you need to mine it with a stone pickaxe or higher - but I not seen one of the mineral blocks.
Any advise? Its holding me back from progressing in the game.

Also, is there anyway to full screen / expand the map? Can only seem to view it in my hand and where I am in the world is located underneath the heart and amour icons - seems strange you can't expand it. Got massively lost and could not find my way back to my home - have now taken a note of where my house is located incase I get lost again.
Assume you can't add waypoints either? Just have to use the grid references?

Thanks

Mastperf

Looking for some advise - this is the first time playing the game,
I'm having real issues finding Iron Ore anywhere. I only have a few caves in my world. Had a good dig in them and just randomly diged is places in the game but nothing.
Aware that you need to mine it with a stone pickaxe or higher - but I not seen one of the mineral blocks.
Any advise? Its holding me back from progressing in the game.

Also, is there anyway to full screen / expand the map? Can only seem to view it in my hand and where I am in the world is located underneath the heart and amour icons - seems strange you can't expand it. Got massively lost and could not find my way back to my home - have now taken a note of where my house is located incase I get lost again.
Assume you can't add waypoints either? Just have to use the grid references?

Thanks
I do all of my mining at level 12. The Y in the center of your map is what you want to look at to find your depth. Lava usually spawns at that level so you'll be level with it instead of it pouring in on you. Level 12 is also a great level to mine diamonds. Be sure to have at least an iron pickaxe with you in order to mine it. The map is pretty much all you have to find your way home. You have to remember or build some kind of landmark to find your way.

SmokyDave

Speaking of maps, is there a quick way to craft one if you lose it stuck down some godforsaken whole in the middle of nowhere?

It's really annoying that the player marker is always stuck behind the health bars too. Some really weird 'rough edges' to this game. I can tolerate 'em though.

Wow, the map really is tiny. The first staircase I dug down took me straight to a stronghold library!

The technical compromises are so clear in this game, but it's still Minecraft and still awesome.

Tagyhag

Yes. Just make sure your mic is enabled by holding down the PS button to bring up the menu where you adjust the brightness and other things.

Awesome thanks, guess I'll bite the bullet and buy it since I can just upgrade to the PS4 version for $5 later down the road.

Wow, the map really is tiny. The first staircase I dug down took me straight to a stronghold library!

The technical compromises are so clear in this game, but it's still Minecraft and still awesome.

Weird, caves I've found have been mind bogglingly expansive. Think you just got lucky. Don't let the draw distance fool you, the maps are pretty damn big.

Good lord. I finally got done making my house. Floor plan is exactly like mine, aside from a few dimensional differences. I just need to furnish it more, but that is down the road some. I finally can explore....! Bought this dang game on Tuesday, and have been doing nothing but making my house. It was an awesome first experience with MC, and I am very pleased with it.

NOW...to actually explore some...maybe...I want to try to make another map, to chart out my explorations. Before I'd return home by night time...but I think I will just make a small hut out in the wild and wait it out. Nothing pisses me off more than dying somewhere out in the wild, and losing all my crap. I'll go to good lengths to avoid that.

I just frigging love making a treehouse, getting loads of dirt blocks, saplings, and bonemeal, and making it EXPLODE with shrubbery. Looks like the Reset Bomb forest from Kid Icarus right now... and I'm at least 23 blocks from the maximum height. Beautiful.

But man, the draw distance is SO BAD.

curb

Banned
Weird, caves I've found have been mind bogglingly expansive. Think you just got lucky. Don't let the draw distance fool you, the maps are pretty damn big.

I spent about an hour digging around the lower levels last night and barely found anything. I think there's lots of variety in the worlds
that I have yet to find.

nampad

DAMN villagers shut the fuck up. Being stuck at night time in one of their houses hearing 4 guys humming voices while some zombie moans outside.

Is anyone else having issues with texture packs not showing as free when they should be due to cross buy? I bought the city and fantasy texture packs on PS4 and that enables cross buy. I can download the city texture pack on my Vita but the fantasy one wants to charge me. Any ideas?

Mastperf

Is anyone else having issues with texture packs not showing as free when they should be due to cross buy? I bought the city and fantasy texture packs on PS4 and that enables cross buy. I can download the city texture pack on my Vita but the fantasy one wants to charge me. Any ideas?
I have the exact same problem. The city and plastic pack transfer over fine but the fantasy pack is only usable on the PS4 but not PS3 and Vita. Try to contact Sony and I'll do the same.

MUnited83

For you.
Anybody with issues with ad-hoc? I've been having a couple of issues lately. I was playing it with my brother, and I was often attacked by enemies that I couldn't see at all on my game but he could see on his. Similarly,he created a bunch of the snowman pumpkin bodyguards and he couldn't see them on his game, while I could see them on mine. Weird stuff.

Is there a mine-gaf friends list floating around anywhere? Psn:midasmulligunn
Not sure, but I just sent ya a FR. I'm down for more friends also, for the little bit of time I get to play online. At the very least, I enjoy watching what other people play!!

I'm mainly on the Vita, I have yet to install this for PS3, but I will. MC, or any other game you can think of is good for me. GTA:O is my true passion, and I shall be returning to it soon, hopefully. I also enjoy long walks, and italian food... /end personal ad.

PSN : BaronVonBeans

btkadams

Speaking of maps, is there a quick way to craft one if you lose it stuck down some godforsaken whole in the middle of nowhere?

It's really annoying that the player marker is always stuck behind the health bars too. Some really weird 'rough edges' to this game. I can tolerate 'em though.

making one is kind of a pain, but if you've been playing in your world for a while, you will probably have these materials by now. you need:

- 4 iron ingots
- 1 redstone
- 9 sugarcane

turn the 9 sugarcane into paper on the crafting table. then, turn the 4 iron ingots and 1 redstone into 1 compass. then, use the paper and compass to create a map.

Groodon

Neo Member
Not sure, but I just sent ya a FR. I'm down for more friends also, for the little bit of time I get to play online. At the very least, I enjoy watching what other people play!!

I'm mainly on the Vita, I have yet to install this for PS3, but I will. MC, or any other game you can think of is good for me. GTA:O is my true passion, and I shall be returning to it soon, hopefully. I also enjoy long walks, and italian food... /end personal ad.

PSN : BaronVonBeans

I would also like some people to play around with.
PSN: Groodon

DedValve

Banned
I would be down to occasionally join someones world and build stuff, in turn I've decided to allow people to build stuff in mind. The goal is to make a world filled with secrets.

I do need someone whose really great at design to help me with the Spencer Mansion from Resident Evil 1. I got the interior set but I don't like the look of the exterior.

PSN: DedValve

SmokyDave

making one is kind of a pain, but if you've been playing in your world for a while, you will probably have these materials by now. you need:

- 4 iron ingots
- 1 redstone
- 9 sugarcane

turn the 9 sugarcane into paper on the crafting table. then, turn the 4 iron ingots and 1 redstone into 1 compass. then, use the paper and compass to create a map.
Woah, cheers man. That is a bit of a pain. Right now I haven't got much in the way of resources because me and the missus are building a nice wooden house on a cliff overlooking the sea. I've only needed to gather wood and glass so far. Just finished building a huge column to help me locate the place when I'm away though, so I'll go for a wander and see what I can find. I do miss having a map.

It's so easy to sit down and sink an hour or three into this game. Dangerous stuff.

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to join a friends game, it's giving me this.
lfdwqcp.jpg

When I started my game I downloaded an update, he says he doesn't have one. I have the EU version, his is US. Anyone experience this?

Flandy

I have the exact same problem. The city and plastic pack transfer over fine but the fantasy pack is only usable on the PS4 but not PS3 and Vita. Try to contact Sony and I'll do the same.

Have you guys tried searching the texture via search in the PS Store? I had to claim the Vita version of some of the skin packs I previously purchased.

Trying to join a friends game, it's giving me this.
lfdwqcp.jpg

When I started my game I downloaded an update, he says he doesn't have one. I have the EU version, his is US. Anyone experience this?

EU version got an update yesterday. NA hasn't yet

igor

So... On my sister's account there is PS3 version of Minecraft... is there any chance I can download it to PS3 and then install it on my Vita with my account?

please say yes :(

Flandy

So... On my sister's account there is PS3 version of Minecraft... is there any chance I can download it to PS3 and then install it on my Vita with my account?

please say yes :(

Her account needs to be tied to your Vita if you want to download it there. Vita only allows one account per system. You're fucked.

You could create another user on your PS3 and download Minecraft right there but you would be limited to PS3

I imagine someone already mentioned that you can still get it for $5 if you bought the PS4 version of Minecraft first?

I bought Minecraft PS4 a few weeks ago, and when I went to go buy MC PS3 last week, it was only $5. MC Vita initially stated $19.99 on the site, but when I clicked add to cart it showed up as free.

Its on my Vita right now, $25 OOP for all three versions after having bought MC PS4 first.

nampad

I feel a little bit stuck now.

After finding a village, I decided to move there because the villagers conveniently already set up a wheat farm which I took over. The farm is now inside my house with a glass roof and torches and I recently added pumpkins to the crop.
Food is no issue anymore but I still always forget to eat :D

My inside oak tree farm doesn't work though, those trees take forever to grow :/

My house is connected to on of the open mine shafts and I digged around a little big. Going deeper gets kind of difficult and the amount of iron ore I found is laughable. After building new tools, I still haven't build the anvil.

My ventures outside were limited but the daytime limit makes exploring outside tedious. Tried to tame a chicken with wheat seeds but somehow it stopped following :(
Never seen a cow.

Guess I have to mine some more.

Been playing this quite a bit the past couple of days, and am really enjoying it.

My first world created was a bitch, and I could barely find any coal. This in turn caused me to barely be able to cook food. I ended up dying like 4 times, basically from starvation before I gave up and started a new world. The second world has just been plentiful and I'm enjoying it a ton.

Performance overall is a bit stuttery, but I'd classify it as 'fine'. When you are standing on the peak of a mountain and the snow is coming down, it actually looks rather amazing for a vita game. The draw distance is kind of excellent (for Vita). This is Minecraft, the real deal, on a handheld, and it works great, plays great.

I haven't pushed the boundaries of map exploration, I'm curious how it compares to say X360.

MUnited83

For you.
Been playing this quite a bit the past couple of days, and am really enjoying it.

My first world created was a bitch, and I could barely find any coal. This in turn caused me to barely be able to cook food. I ended up dying like 4 times, basically from starvation before I gave up and started a new world. The second world has just been plentiful and I'm enjoying it a ton.

Performance overall is a bit stuttery, but I'd classify it as 'fine'. When you are standing on the peak of a mountain and the snow is coming down, it actually looks rather amazing for a vita game. The draw distance is kind of excellent (for Vita). This is Minecraft, the real deal, on a handheld, and it works great, plays great.

I haven't pushed the boundaries of map exploration, I'm curious how it compares to say X360.
You can burn wood to get coal. But then again, you can also cook food with wood.

Maps are the same size as X360/PS3 versions, afaik.

Since I'm seeing some people who are struggling with bad world gen RNG, I'll list a few seeds that people have found that are pretty great.

pearljam
Grasslands

They're all pretty different, but that first one is absolutely fantastic.

daevv

I had a great world but after putting the Vita in sleep mode for 30mins or so I came back to it all gone/erased and replaced with a world with the seed only showing a single zero. :(

I'm sad my world is gone but mad that I didn't write down the random seed. It was great. Had The End portal dungeon within 100 squares of the main spawn with a spider spawner along the way. :(

Top Bottom