• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Vita Edition |OT| Sony dealt, 4J developed, Mojang owned, MS nothin'.

I'd be surprised if they would stop updating it as long as it's popular, considering how much money the game earns.

In other news I tried this today and it plays like a dream. I haven't explored a lot but I haven't encountered that choppiness as of yet. Draw distance is a little lacking but it doesn't bother me.

To be fair, high draw distance can destroy performance even on PC. Reasonable compromise.

ShadiWulf

Up to 1.6.4 is a pretty big update for the console version. Lots of redstone changes, stained clay, and horses! Oh and zombie AI upgrade and Baby zombies. You haven't experienced hell until you've experienced the new Zombie AI and baby zombies.

here is a video of the 1.6.1 zombie AI, baby zombies are the same way except faster and can fit through a 1 block hole.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh-dQHx2r5U

still behind the PC version but up to 1.6.4 is a lot of stuff, i only listed the major stuff.

Mastperf

Just look at 4J studios twitter to see that they're already working on the next update and it will include horses among other things.

Huh. I saw an article recently (though it was dated) that backed up what I'd said. Wonder how they decide when/if to do updates. Regardless, that's great news. I'd vastly prefer 1.7.X since that's the update that added all the new biomes and such, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

** Have they ever released a statement about their process of porting the game? I'm honestly curious how much effort the port is, since it's not like minecraft is horribly complex.
Considering minecraft was made in java and the console versions are c+ it must of been a substantial amount of work. Minecraft doesn't look very complex, but the code is a confusing mess. Its been cleaned up pretty well by 1.8.1 though. Dinnerbone has done gods work.

Considering minecraft was made in java and the console versions are c+ it must of been a substantial amount of work. Minecraft doesn't look very complex, but the code is a confusing mess. Its been cleaned up pretty well by 1.8.1 though. Dinnerbone has done gods work.

Alright, that answered my main questions which was if they were basically just rewriting it in another language. I do wonder if they're taking a more piece-by-piece approach or if they've built a substantial framework so that updates will be faster. Doesn't particularly matter, these things just seem like magic to me :lol

Are some trophies glitched? I didn't get the ones for crafting a sword or a hoe. And I've been mining for hours and haven't seen a single piece of lapis.

Tygamr

Are some trophies glitched? I didn't get the ones for crafting a sword or a hoe. And I've been mining for hours and haven't seen a single piece of lapis.

It depends on the material you use. IIRC the trophies only pop for wooden tools. They assume that you'll start with the bare minimum and work your way up with everything. Kind of dumb considering that a pickaxe is typically your first tool, and it enables you to make higher quality tools.

Renpatsu

Yeah, this is bad. I just spent the last several days pretty much playing Minecraft non-stop exploring dungeons and excavating tunnels connecting all of them together and I've still only explored a portion of the initial map. So I guess I'm late to the party, but folks on the fence should just go for it. Absolutely worth a retail purchase.

Just got my first Iron, Gold and Diamond Ore. I've already hit the bedrock at the bottom. For now, I will focus on recreating my dream railway line from cross continents.

SmokyDave

Ah man, this is so therapeutic. Nice quiet Sunday afternoon, the baby has gone to sleep, me and the missus have curled up on the sofa and cracked out the Vitas. She's off gathering cool shit while I excavate the underneath of our growing mansion and create nice, neat rooms where there used to be a craggy mess. Next up I'm going to build a glass tunnel out into the sea and then make a nice little Seabservatory for underwater viewings. I might make the top protrude out of the water so I can link it back to our cliffside balcony somehow.

I love the fact that you can start a project, get bored, and then stick it on the back burner whilst you nip off and do something else instead.

I don't love the fact that my poor Vita battery is getting that work. Might need to glue the charger into the bottom.

Having a blast so far. Dying in an indiscriminate location with no way to find all your loot is pretty harsh though.

Still not really branched out creatively in terms of what I'm building, still got my happy little treehouse.

Tagyhag

I don't love the fact that my poor Vita battery is getting that work. Might need to glue the charger into the bottom.

Yeah I had a good 3 hour session with a friend yesterday and my batt went from 100% to almost red and I play on the lowest brightness.

Having a blast so far, but damn, I didn't know the handheld/console versions were THAT far behind. I remember fighting baby zombies more than a year ago. What's up with that?

Having a blast so far, but damn, I didn't know the handheld/console versions were THAT far behind. I remember fighting baby zombies more than a year ago. What's up with that?

Leaving a fairly small British studio with the job of porting/updating 5 different versions of a huge sandbox game at the same time might have something to do with it.

Yeah I had a good 3 hour session with a friend yesterday and my batt went from 100% to almost red and I play on the lowest brightness.

The worst part is I play in airplane mode and lowest brightness and i get similar battery. This thing kills my battery faster than borderlands 2 which is insane to me.

Anyone know what that patch (for the Vita version) that came a couple of days ago did?

From Minecraft Forum:
4J Studios said:
Change log for Patch 1.01 - October 16th 2014

- Fixed a hang when accepting a game invite while in a game.
- Fixed 'Can Build and Mine' option in Host Options Menu not functioning properly in a Creative Mode game.
- Fixed a crash when attempting to download a save transfer when the memory card was full.
- Fixed issues with attempting to buy DLC when in Ad Hoc network mode.
- Fixed a hang when selecting “Exit and Save” with a trial texture pack.
- Added Turkish manual.

Also, being in a Stronghold is incredibly unnerving with all the mob growls and moans. I feel like I'm playing Doom :(

Tagyhag

So is it normal to have a bunch of interconnected caves all over your world due to the small map size?

I haven't mined seriously and I've been able to walk from the north point to the south of the map purely through connected caves. Feels like I hit the seed jackpot.

So is it normal to have a bunch of interconnected caves all over your world due to the small map size?

I haven't mined seriously and I've been able to walk from the north point to the south of the map purely through connected caves. Feels like I hit the seed jackpot.

that's... pretty impressive lol. That certainly isn't typical, but generally if you luck out and get a good number of ravines/mineshafts/whatever they can cover massive distances.

MattyG

Banned
that's... pretty impressive lol. That certainly isn't typical, but generally if you luck out and get a good number of ravines/mineshafts/whatever they can cover massive distances.
Yeah, occasionally you get a world with a perfect tunnel system, and it's incredible. I have one in my PS4 save, and OH LAWD. Once you realize how everything is connected and how far you've gone underground, it's the best feeling ever. Haven't really had that in the Vita version yet, but I've found some pretty big caves and one big ravine.

Tygamr

Ugh I really wish there was cross-play between the Vita and PS3 versions... Like couldn't they limit it to four player multiplayer if Vita's are involved?

ShadiWulf

on my world i keep running into ravine after ravine. they are all connected to eachother. and I'm pretty sure I've stumbled upon an abandoned mineshaft too. i saw a wood plank i didn't place, but i suppose its possible that could of been the start of a stronghold, too. was too scared to go further, felt i was pushing my luck. wanted to drop off my loot first. I'll find out what it is next time I'm on... if i find it again. it's just one giant messy maze of blocks. but im enjoying it. Certainly haven't experienced this on the PC version.

on my world i keep running into ravine after ravine. they are all connected to eachother. and I'm pretty sure I've stumbled upon an abandoned mineshaft too. i saw a wood plank i didn't place, but i suppose its possible that could of been the start of a stronghold, too. was too scared to go further, felt i was pushing my luck. wanted to drop off my loot first. I'll find out what it is next time I'm on... if i find it again. it's just one giant messy maze of blocks. but im enjoying it. Certainly haven't experienced this on the PC version.

I actually think the draw distance in some ways helps the atmosphere. In the same way old PS1 horror games' draw distances helped. Masks the small world size and makes it a bit easier to get lost.

nampad

How do you keep yourself from getting lost inside your mines? My torches helped at first but now that I have mined everywhere it is a real maze and I am really anxious that I will never find the way out or back to the place I wanted to explore.

How do you keep yourself from getting lost inside your mines? My torches helped at first but now that I have mined everywhere it is a real maze and I am really anxious that I will never find the way out or back to the place I wanted to explore.

I put a path of cobblestone behind me, since it doesn't naturally occur. I also spam torches around areas I find difficult to see (and miss commonly)

Cronee

Torches on the right as you explore. If it's on the left, you've been there already/that's the way back out. That's how I do it.

Tagyhag

Yeah it's nice not having to dig to hit ores. Not sure if it goes deep enough to bedrock though. I'm used to infinite maps so it's pretty cool seeing connected bodies, feels cozy in a way.

I do it the cheap way and just memorize where my house is on the map, then I just double back that way and if I can't find an exit I dig my way up.

I set my game to invite only and had another person randomly join my game. What options should I be picking to keep people out?

Play offline? I'm pretty sure the top option when you are in the options menu between world selection and entering the world itself is that.

MUnited83

For you.
Which reminds me to ask: how the hell do I join games hosted by people that are not my PSN friends? Is it not possible? Nothing ever popped up on the "join game" part.

Grinchy

Banned
Even though this version runs considerably worse and has much smaller worlds than the PS4 version (and obviously PC), I find myself wanting to play it more. Maybe it's just being able to put the Vita in standby and come right back to where I was that I like so much.

The same thing happened with Terraria for me. Even though I have the PC version which is much better technically and is much more updated, I played the Vita version way more. I am definitely missing a lot of the PC content from the current PC version of Minecraft, but it just feels so good with native controller support.

Even though this version runs considerably worse and has much smaller worlds than the PS4 version (and obviously PC), I find myself wanting to play it more. Maybe it's just being able to put the Vita in standby and come right back to where I was that I like so much.

The same thing happened with Terraria for me. Even though I have the PC version which is much better technically and is much more updated, I played the Vita version way more. I am definitely missing a lot of the PC content from the current PC version of Minecraft, but it just feels so good with native controller support.

This is how I feel with basically ever sandbox game on the device. I sincerely hope devs pick up on how well suited the vita/3ds/handhelds in general are to sandbox games due to the pick up and play nature of the titles.

Hollycat

I created a mob proof island with a farm, several bedrock level mines, and a small house that I had grown attached to but every time I try to load the world the game crashes.

Otherwise though, lots of fun.

Going back to terraria.

nampad

I just got a pack of dogs defending me and finally found a second chicken.
Somehow, I can't breed the chickens though. Is there anything I have to look after for? The stall is quite small, is that the problem?

MUnited83

For you.
Somehow, I can't breed the chickens though. Is there anything I have to look after for? The stall is quite small, is that the problem?

Not sure if there's more ways to do it(there probably are), but you can pick up the eggs they lay, and then throw them on the ground(using the L button, not the drop button). There's a chance of a chick hatching from it. (but if it doesn't, you lose the egg)

Not sure if there's more ways to do it(there probably are), but you can pick up the eggs they lay, and then throw them on the ground(using the L button, not the drop button). There's a chance of a chick hatching from it. (but if it doesn't, you lose the egg)

Yup, chucking eggs is how you "breed" chickens. It makes it super easy to make a chicken farm since the population grows exponentially as you get more and more.

nampad

Yup, chucking eggs is how you "breed" chickens. It makes it super easy to make a chicken farm since the population grows exponentially as you get more and more.

Throwing eggs is better? I want to keep the eggs and I have a lot of wheat seeds.

It says the animal can't enter love mode because the maximum of breeding animals is reached but I gave both chickens wheat to get hearts showing above their head.

Just breaded a puppy and it worked perfectly.

I better not show my Minecraft crazy nephew my game. He will want to continue it and destroy everything :D

Top Bottom