• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Vita Edition |OT| Sony dealt, 4J developed, Mojang owned, MS nothin'.

Steel

Banned
I was playing the demo, and I'm seriously tempted to get back into this on Vita.

However, I was a bit overwhelmed by the entire castle and all those seemingly great items you can loot from the chests right at the start...

Is this the same for everyone, or was this a particular feature of the trial version?

That's just the tutorial world.

Mastperf

Have you guys tried searching the texture via search in the PS Store? I had to claim the Vita version of some of the skin packs I previously purchased.

EU version got an update yesterday. NA hasn't yet
I tried it on the PlayStation store first. It even lists the price instead of free on the PS4 fantasy pack even though I'm able to use it just fine on my PS4. It gives me an error message when I try to add it to my cart. I tried getting help in Live chat but it only gave me a message to be patient as some items on the store are being affected by maintenance. Guess I'll just wait for now.

ShadiWulf

For the fun of it I decided to try the seed "Vita" and see what i got. Just a few scattered mushroom islands. I explored the whole map. Very little life in this world.

Olli128

Aaaah :( Just spent two hours on my imported ps3 save making a cave network only for it not to save. Apparently its a common bug for imported ps3 saves not to be saveable, riiculous that it passed QA.

Its interesting how Pocket Edition has more biomes and features(including infinite worlds) than this one .. yet the vita version is almost 3 times the price

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish the console versions would get realms support so you could have persistent worlds that people can dip in and out of. It takes the pc version to the next level when you have a group of you cooperating on stuff.

omg_mjd

My first time playing Minecraft and yeah I can see why it's a phenomenon. Definitely going to give the PC version a look if I start feeling constrained but so far I'm having a lot of fun doing the most mundane shit. Reminds me of how addicted I got to Animal Crossing DS before, except in an open world with complex systems and no loanshark tanuki to worry about. Great soundtrack too.

Console games and mobile games have different pricing models. Customers have different expectations.

Well I mean there's no in app purchases or any catches on the mobile version of minecraft, its almost the same as the current PC version. I guess the difference is that there's a far larger install base on mobile compared to consoles, so developers can afford selling games at a cheaper price and still make their money back. Minecraft pocket edition is by far the best selling version of minecraft I think.

you people making crazy stuff: are you in creative mode or are you doing regular survival and finding those resources?
Personally I stay in survival for everything. Creative mode sounds cool, but actually foraging for all your mats, while fending off the nightime terrors really adds to the survival aspect. Plus, the point of building a nice home is so you can hide from the baddies! Well, that's what I think anyway :D

From reading about tribulations people are having with their seeds, I am really hoping mine is a decent one. I have still barely explored outside of my small radius I was going through getting my house building stuff. I'd hate to have to rebuild my house again...but it shouldn't be near as bad the second time around I hope..

On map size, I saw an image where someone had several maps in frames on a wall. The map you start with, does that dover the entire world you are in? Or just a small section, to where you need several maps?

Tygamr

This is really addicting despite having less features than the PC bersion and not being as good as the PS4 version.

Its interesting how Pocket Edition has more biomes and features(including infinite worlds) than this one .. yet the vita version is almost 3 times the price

Eh, it has newer features and is missing some older ones. There aren't any realms in the Pocket Edition, mobs behave differently (villagers don't trade and can't open doors), etc. A lot of the mobs also use the dumber older AI from the alpha version of Minecraft. The missing features in Pocket Edition are fairly odd.

They're supposed to be trying to bring the console version up to date with the PC version. Who knows how long it will take though.

Honey Bunny

Personally I stay in survival for everything. Creative mode sounds cool, but actually foraging for all your mats, while fending off the nightime terrors really adds to the survival aspect. Plus, the point of building a nice home is so you can hide from the baddies! Well, that's what I think anyway :D

From reading about tribulations people are having with their seeds, I am really hoping mine is a decent one. I have still barely explored outside of my small radius I was going through getting my house building stuff. I'd hate to have to rebuild my house again...but it shouldn't be near as bad the second time around I hope..

On map size, I saw an image where someone had several maps in frames on a wall. The map you start with, does that dover the entire world you are in? Or just a small section, to where you need several maps?

When I reached an edge on my map I hit an invisible wall.

When I reached an edge on my map I hit an invisible wall.
Interesting...I know yesterday I decided to go to a mountain top, and just dig, and at some point I came across an unbreakable wall. Couldn't even hit it with anything I had, but I just figured I was at the extreme corner of the world. Made sense to me, since I started near the corner, and built my house down there...

This is really addicting despite having less features than the PC bersion and not being as good as the PS4 version.

Eh, it has newer features and is missing some older ones. There aren't any realms in the Pocket Edition, mobs behave differently (villagers don't trade and can't open doors), etc. A lot of the mobs also use the dumber older AI from the alpha version of Minecraft. The missing features in Pocket Edition are fairly odd.

They're supposed to be trying to bring the console version up to date with the PC version. Who knows how long it will take though.

I wonder if they'll update the vita version when they update the others.

legacyzero

Banned
Is there a feature list that compares this version to the PC version?

I know it's a stupid request, but I just wanna know what kinds of items, features, etc aren't in this version versus what I have in the PC version.

Tygamr

Is there a feature list that compares this version to the PC version?

I know it's a stupid request, but I just wanna know what kinds of items, features, etc aren't in this version versus what I have in the PC version.

The Minecraft wiki generally works good for comparing features

nampad

Argh, you don't mine if you don't use a pickaxe?
I found some nice vines but of course my pickaxe was destroyed right at my first gold dig.
I proceeded to dig with my shovel because it looked like it worked. Damn, must have lost so much gold and iron ores :(

The pickaxe gets used up way too fast.

I found some nice vines but of course my pickaxe was destroyed right at my first gold dig.
I proceeded to dig with my shovel because it looked like it worked. Damn, must have lost so much gold and iron ores :(

Diamond pickaxes last way longer

Generally if you go digging, you should bring some wood (preferably directly from trees cause it's more slot-efficient) and a few pickaxes, and that way when you're down there you can make yourself a crafting table/furnace and then more tools.

nampad

DAMN, just fell in lava when I wanted to leave the mine.

Diamond pickaxes last way longer

If I would find a diamond :(
Build a golden one and it was a joke.

Generally if you go digging, you should bring some wood (preferably directly from trees cause it's more slot-efficient) and a few pickaxes, and that way when you're down there you can make yourself a crafting table/furnace and then more tools.

Yeah, I kind of figured that out.
Have been mining directly at my home before so I didn't think about it and then I didn't have any wood.

Im building a giant castle based on this
world-s-coolest-castles488153432-mar-15-2012-600x413.jpg

But I'm afraid the PSvita wont be able to render it all. Ugh, screw this tiny draw distance.

GulAtiCa

How big is the render distance for Vita?

You could prob do a 100 x 100 castle, which would make it rather large. Can the view distance see beyond, say 150?

MUnited83

For you.
Well I mean there's no in app purchases or any catches on the mobile version of minecraft, its almost the same as the current PC version. I guess the difference is that there's a far larger install base on mobile compared to consoles, so developers can afford selling games at a cheaper price and still make their money back. Minecraft pocket edition is by far the best selling version of minecraft I think.

There's several limitations and missing features on the mobile version though.

got the 16 types of wool for the trophy, didn't pop? I guess you have to do it consecutively, as I saved, played something else and came back to it later.

I'm another that got screwed by the biome generation, no villages at all, the tiniest slither of jungle I've ever seen, enough for some cocoa beans but not for any ocelots.

guess that'll teach me for not exploring the whole map before building lots of good stuff :(

I'm having trouble finding good information. Help me out?

I'm unfortunately not sure what the patches are called, but the PC version is on like 1.8.2, which adds a handfull of new biomes as well as changes the way worlds are generated. It also added some new stuff for diversity (such as more flowers). I believe the console (and vita) versions are about 2 patches behind, which is the patch emeralds were added in. Sorry I can't help you more D:

** I was pretty off. I believe the comparable patch for the PC version is 1.3.1 which is pretty far back now. And the company that does the console minecraft ports said they're not doing updates so we're stuck. It's unfortunate since there were some really amazing additions in the last handful of patches.

** Reading patchnotes for the 1.8.X updates. Holy crap I need to update my copy of the PC version.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm unfortunately not sure what the patches are called, but the PC version is on like 1.8.2, which adds a handfull of new biomes as well as changes the way worlds are generated. It also added some new stuff for diversity (such as more flowers). I believe the console (and vita) versions are about 2 patches behind, which is the patch emeralds were added in. Sorry I can't help you more D:

** I was pretty off. I believe the comparable patch for the PC version is 1.3.1 which is pretty far back now. And the company that does the console minecraft ports said they're not doing updates so we're stuck. It's unfortunate since there were some really amazing additions in the last handful of patches.

Gotcha. That's maps it out a bit more for me. I just didn't wanna buy the game, and have it lack A LOT of what I'm used to on the PC version. It would kill me lol

Gotcha. That's maps it out a bit more for me. I just didn't wanna buy the game, and have it lack A LOT of what I'm used to on the PC version. It would kill me lol

That's very understandable. I think it has most of the mandatory content (redstone works, vilager trading, etc.) but it's lacking a huge amount of content now comparatively.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
https://twitter.com/4JStudios/status/517645816811778048
We're now working on an update for all Minecraft console editions to move up to the equivalent of Java 1.6.4 version. It may take some time!
The console versions will always be behind the PC version, but they're still updating them.

GulAtiCa

Sadly all the console/Vita versions are really behind. Less biomes (Mesa), missing materials (red sand, colored glasses/panes), missing redstone devices/etc (daylight detector, block of redstone, flip-flop logic, hoppers, ), missing new enemies/mobs (horse, rabbit), less bosses, less strongholds (ocean monument), less extra end game stuff (beacon).

I'm hopeful they eventually patch ALL this in.. But really daunting on you once you really get into the game how inferior the game is (outside of world size) it is compared to the PC true version.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Minecraft, just look at the PS4/Xbox One OT, jsut makes me sad to realize that there is SO much I want to do, but can't. haha

Edit: I really hope that update comes soon.

https://twitter.com/4JStudios/status/517645816811778048

The console versions will always be behind the PC version, but they're still updating them.

Huh. I saw an article recently (though it was dated) that backed up what I'd said. Wonder how they decide when/if to do updates. Regardless, that's great news. I'd vastly prefer 1.7.X since that's the update that added all the new biomes and such, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

** Have they ever released a statement about their process of porting the game? I'm honestly curious how much effort the port is, since it's not like minecraft is horribly complex.

** Reading patchnotes for the 1.8.X updates. Holy crap I need to update my copy of the PC version.

Wait, what? They aren't? No biome update and horses in the console MC future??

Edit: figured as much.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be surprised if they would stop updating it as long as it's popular, considering how much money the game earns.

In other news I tried this today and it plays like a dream. I haven't explored a lot but I haven't encountered that choppiness as of yet. Draw distance is a little lacking but it doesn't bother me.

Top Bottom