Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

SillyEskimo said:
GWS has been putting out some excellent stuff lately across both ranges. Forge world has been doing great things as well.

Those ogre minis are fantastic! What's with all the huge kits lately? They must be money makers because every army in every range seem to be getting these huge and expensive units.
It's what sets them apart from other companies, their single 28mm figs frankly aren't any better than other gaming manufacturers. But the big plastic kits are something no one else in the niche wargaming business really has the manufacturing expertise or capital to set up.
 
Love battletech, but never got around to painting my figs heh. None of my friends who play have painted theirs either oddly. We spend too much time painting figs for other games
 
I painted all of mine, but that was a long time ago. Sadly I've long since lost my collection of miniatures. I had a solid gold Mackie as a kid. I wasn't really all that good at painting them.
 
questionmark said:
I love the worlds of Warhammer, and the games are fun as well. I just don't have the patience to glue and paint the figures, which is a shame. I would love to get into it.
Well the universe is pretty accessible outside of the games, tons of books, comics, boardgames, video games, roleplaying games, etc.

gwarm01 said:
I painted all of mine, but that was a long time ago. Sadly I've long since lost my collection of miniatures. I had a solid gold Mackie as a kid. I wasn't really all that good at painting them.
Battletech is one of the longest lasting classic miniature games really, and it also easily can be played without miniatures... known many to just use mech counters to play anyways. Problem with it has always been the barrier to entry, the game is so huge and the concept of covering so many periods of time really can be confusing for people. Catalyst games has been trying pretty hard to make the game more accessible for new people while not actually changing the game, but simply how it's sold and with lot of new player info guides to ease them in. The little I do play I usually stick to the early era stuff and try not to go past 3050 .... and Catalyst has really been pushing the game even further in years than ever before and eventually want to fully flesh out into the "Dark Age" era with full Battletech rules instead of those crappy clix stuff.
 
What is the current state of Flames of War? Still in second edition right? Reason I ask is because I've finally assembled my 1500 point US Rifle Company and I've been meaning to jump back in. There sure have been a lot of new books released.
 
Leunam said:
What is the current state of Flames of War? Still in second edition right? Reason I ask is because I've finally assembled my 1500 point US Rifle Company and I've been meaning to jump back in. There sure have been a lot of new books released.
Yea it's still same 2nd edition, the books are just expanding the game coverage and they recently launched Early War era stuff. They also have been doing a side thing with Vietnam era material that uses the same rule system. No word on a 3rd edition and doubt we will see one anytime soon as they do well just releasing more content and they have tons of stuff still left to cover in WWII, along with constantly talking about eventually doing the Pacific theater one day.
 
Thanks. I managed to paint a single jeep yesterday so it shouldn't be too long until I knock out the entire army. I'll be stopping by a local shop that should carry FoW later this week so I can pick up a book or two.
 
Leunam said:
Thanks. I managed to paint a single jeep yesterday so it shouldn't be too long until I knock out the entire army. I'll be stopping by a local shop that should carry FoW later this week so I can pick up a book or two.
Are you doing a specific period? Rifle companies can work for both Middle and Late War, but not sure if you got a specific target. I know lot of US players have been down on Late War state of their forces as they feel often underpowered compared to all the heavy tank ownage that the other powers bring to the table, while the US keeps getting overshadowed with it's later war big tanks and firepower. Russians have gotten tons of content in the past two years on the other hand.
 
Golgfag is nice, he's a character that's been around since the early 80's as well.

Prefer the other two though as they're more characterful pieces...but fuck me sideway at the price, they're £20 quid each even with maelstroms discount.
 
Got my Ogre Kingdoms pre-orders in with Wayland Games yesterday:

1 x Ironblaster/Scraplauncher (building as Ironblaster)
1 x Stonehorn/Thundertusk (building as Stonehorn)
2 x Mournfang Cavalry (using extra bits for Maneater conversions)
Army book + magic cards
 
Looks great, kinda sucks that they do this limited crap but they know it forces people to rush out and buy it. At first I got excited and thought they were bringing back Man O War.
 
^Those are some great models particularly the Shadewraith, the Khemri boat, and the Araby one. I'm not sure why people thought they would be bringing back Man o' War since as far as I knew that was a whole line complete with various factions you could build which non of the rumors pointed to.

Any way Forge World just put out some lovely new vehicles which will be on sale(Preoder?) at Gamesday next week.

First is the new Dark Eldar Tantelous


And for you prehersey and retro guys the Land Raider Proteus


And for all you Necron Players out there some very good info at what will be in the upcoming October/November Codex update is in this thread: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/365775.page If you want to you can read the rest of it but pay attention mostly to Kroothawks since he is a very compentent rumor gatherer.
 
I expected them to reprint Heroquest really as it was their other big game next to Space Hulk so I figured that was best bet for the rumored special game coming out. Heroquest is also the only other game GW has held onto rights wise, while all their other old games they have licensed off to FFG

People already though had knee jerk anti GW reactions to this news thinking it was a new naval game and that they were trying to compete/copy Uncharted Seas by Spartan Games.... lol
 
Are we showing off minis here?

I´m almost finished with my latest sculpt, a giant turtle for Hordes, to be used as a Minion Bulls Snapper count-as. It´s pretty cool, I think.

Also, anybody good at resizing images? I need a few proportion charts done in different scales, but nobody helped me in the stupid questions thread =(


I was hyped for Dread Fleet, btw, but I only like about half of the ships. I might get it and sculpt lizzardmen (turtles!!1!) and skaven ships, but my to-sculpt list is already brutally long. I´ll never finish half of it in my life ^^
 
They went all out with the wacky old school look that GW used to have for Dreadfleet, it's definitely not to everyone's liking from what I am seeing... people are now more used to the more serious and simpler designs we see now.

If you like the idea of the game but want something that feels more in line with current GW art design, I would recommend Uncharted Seas. Very cheap game to get into and simple to play.
 
BattleMonkey said:
I expected them to reprint Heroquest really as it was their other big game next to Space Hulk so I figured that was best bet for the rumored special game coming out. Heroquest is also the only other game GW has held onto rights wise, while all their other old games they have licensed off to FFG

People already though had knee jerk anti GW reactions to this news thinking it was a new naval game and that they were trying to compete/copy Uncharted Seas by Spartan Games.... lol
I had this when it was known as Warhammer Quest. Really liked it. It's a good game when none of your friends are into D&D
 
So jumped into a new game this weekend and bought a bunch of Dystopian Wars stuff. Spartan Games has become a pretty well known name in the industry lately but this really has been their biggest hit so far, as it's one of the first to really take advantage of the steampunk craze.

Now to hopefully get it all done and painted, been plucking away at Malifaux figures for a while now and need to get back into painting mode.

hoverX said:
I had this when it was known as Warhammer Quest. Really liked it. It's a good game when none of your friends are into D&D
Yea cool game but I think for many, Descent has taken over that niche and the amount of content put out for Descent has been crazy.
 
Wasn't expecting this thread to pop out in GAF. Very cool. I'll start by posting a picture of some of my Blood Angels. While I paint more than I play, I like to hop around all systems.

 
I can get some closeup shots done. I also need to take pictures of the newer stuff, this photo was taken almost 3 years ago... The paint scheme was relatively simple to achieve:

-Prime them with White
- Two heavy washes of Baal Red
- Paint them with watered down Blood Red (so that the washes do natural shading)
- Wash them with Gryphone Sepia
- Do the detail work, highlight with a 50/50 mix of blood red and fiery orange.
- Highlight with a 75/50 mmix of blood red and fiery orange for the extreme result.
 
I want to get into this, mainly for the collecting, and maybe just a few battles with my little brother or something every now and then. What would be the best set to get into if I wanted high fantasy creatures like dragons and trolls and all that sort of stuff. Is there like a LOTR style table top game?
 
BattleMonkey said:
Looks great, kinda sucks that they do this limited crap but they know it forces people to rush out and buy it. At first I got excited and thought they were bringing back Man O War.
I had the same thought when my local store sent out and e-mail about Dread and was hyped. It may not be Man O War but damn do I need this. Not sure who I will play with but I must have it.

Oh and here is some pics of my Nid army for 40k. Some the bigger models are not in them but you can get an idea of the overall colors I was going for.



 
pseudocaesar said:
I want to get into this, mainly for the collecting, and maybe just a few battles with my little brother or something every now and then. What would be the best set to get into if I wanted high fantasy creatures like dragons and trolls and all that sort of stuff. Is there like a LOTR style table top game?
Games Workshop do produce a LOTR table top game.

Warhammer Fantasy Battles also features many aspects of High Fantasy, though if you want Dragons and Trolls you'll only be able to field a limited number and only with some armies.
 
pseudocaesar said:
I want to get into this, mainly for the collecting, and maybe just a few battles with my little brother or something every now and then. What would be the best set to get into if I wanted high fantasy creatures like dragons and trolls and all that sort of stuff. Is there like a LOTR style table top game?
Games Workshop LOTR game comes in two flavors, the original Skirmish game which is under the "Strategy Battle Game" line. It's meant for a small amount of figs for smaller fights and covers much of the universe. "War of the Ring" is their book that is the 2nd ruleset that lets you play with the same miniatures, but in large scale battles where you have blocks of troops for more epic stuff.

There are several starter sets that got put out for the game that one can possibly find around, GW themselves still sell the 'Mines of Moria' set. A person could of course just buy the rulebook for the game and pick out the figs they want from there.

Something like Warhammer Fantasy is also a popular game though its a much bigger investment and more complicated of a game... not the best for beginners.
 
rukland said:
I had the same thought when my local store sent out and e-mail about Dread and was hyped. It may not be Man O War but damn do I need this. Not sure who I will play with but I must have it.
Nice nids! Had a Nid army for a while but was not happy with how the paint job came out on them.

I'm likely going to skip on Dreadfleet, it looks great but splurged recently on lot of board games, Dystopian Wars army, and some trips. Oh well I got Uncharted Seas for my fantasy naval fix right now.

*Edit: bah didn't mean to make this a 2nd post in a row.
 
BattleMonkey said:
Something like Warhammer Fantasy is also a popular game though its a much bigger investment and more complicated of a game... not the best for beginners.
It may be more complicated, but it's still easy to play. I learnt the rules when I just 11, though it did turn out 5 years later we'd been getting one rule slightly wrong.
 
DeathIsTheEnd said:
It may be more complicated, but it's still easy to play. I learnt the rules when I just 11, though it did turn out 5 years later we'd been getting one rule slightly wrong.
It's not all that complex but can be intimidating for newer players, 40K is generally easier, but he also asked about skirmish game, which Warhammer Fantasy is the furthest from. Sadly they don't support Mordheim anymore.

Gunstarheroes said:
IS miniature-GAF cool with Heroclix? Since we just got two set released today. I don't see it mentioned, and i'd love to see if any Gaffers play.
Nothing wrong with Heroclix, often see it as something that usually has a different player base as I don't see much cross over in player base that play both Heroclix and traditional hobby miniature games. I never got into it though did used to play Mechwarrior and Mage Knight clix games. Heroclix never grabbed me for some reason and perhaps it was I just couldn't stand the paint jobs which to me were the worse of the lot of Clix games. And they are capable of good paint jobs now too, the paint jobs they did with the new Trek board game that uses clix figs is fantastic prepaints. If they could put out heroclix with that quality of prepaintedness.... I would be in.
 
Gunstarheroes said:
IS miniature-GAF cool with Heroclix? Since we just got two set released today. I don't see it mentioned, and i'd love to see if any Gaffers play.
I don't have an issue with it at all. Infact I still have a ton and when time is an issue I still pull them out. Sure they don't look great but it's a fast easy game, even more so when dealing with someone who has never played a mini based game.
 
MessieurCouchon said:
They look pretty sweet, and the warehouse behind them is cool too. I second the request for close-ups if you get the time.

Anyway, latest rumours are that Blood Bowl will return next year for its 25th anniversary. Looks like I'll be digging out and repainting my old teams.
 
Woah awesome thread! And here I thought the only miniature talk would be in the board game thread. :) I've been getting into more board games and the type lately, and after playing a bunch of DoW and now Space Marine I finally decided to give TT a go! I picked up Assault on Black reach and I'm currently assembling and getting ready to paint. I'll be lurking here in the mean time! :) Again, awesome thread!

Also, any advice on where to start on 40k lore? Have a space marine and space wolf codex but I know there is a lot of fiction as well. Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet, in case it was mentioned. Thanks!
 
Cosmic Schwung said:
They look pretty sweet, and the warehouse behind them is cool too. I second the request for close-ups if you get the time.

Anyway, latest rumours are that Blood Bowl will return next year for its 25th anniversary. Looks like I'll be digging out and repainting my old teams.
Blood Bowl! Great game, used to love doing league games. Still got my goblin team all painted up. I screwed up though and sold my team's troll by accident when I sold my Orcs and Goblin Fantasy army as I was using it for both games and it was packed in the Warhammer case.

I assume if they bring it back, it will be in the form of a limited box set like Space Hulk and Dreadfleet perhaps.

Hammer said:
Woah awesome thread! And here I thought the only miniature talk would be in the board game thread. :) I've been getting into more board games and the type lately, and after playing a bunch of DoW and now Space Marine I finally decided to give TT a go! I picked up Assault on Black reach and I'm currently assembling and getting ready to paint. I'll be lurking here in the mean time! :) Again, awesome thread!

Also, any advice on where to start on 40k lore? Have a space marine and space wolf codex but I know there is a lot of fiction as well. Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet, in case it was mentioned. Thanks!
I don't know if Black Reach has any major fluff, but the individual codex have lot of fluff nowadays for each faction. Also the big hardcover rulebook has a large background section for the entire universe which they took out when making the tiny rulebook that comes with the Black Reach starter. You can also get lot of the basic background online at the various warhammer 40k wikis and such
 
Cosmic Schwung said:
They look pretty sweet, and the warehouse behind them is cool too. I second the request for close-ups if you get the time.

Anyway, latest rumours are that Blood Bowl will return next year for its 25th anniversary. Looks like I'll be digging out and repainting my old teams.
Oh sweet! I was actually looking for an old copy. Starting to play all the old gems I remember from my childhood. BB is at the top of my list! (That and Lunch Money, stupid fun game iirc.)
 
MessieurCouchon said:
Wasn't expecting this thread to pop out in GAF. Very cool. I'll start by posting a picture of some of my Blood Angels. While I paint more than I play, I like to hop around all systems.

Very nice, they're fighting on a proper Gribbly board as well.
 
BattleMonkey said:
Blood Bowl! Great game, used to love doing league games.

I assume if they bring it back, it will be in the form of a limited box set like Space Hulk and Dreadfleet perhaps.
That's my big fear as well. I mean just put the product out so I can pick it at my leisure and not have to worry about having the money right away.

I guess it all ties back to the argument that games like BB and MoW don't sell a ton of models so GW does this limited stuff to make a quick buck and then hoard it for 10+ years again.
 
BattleMonkey said:
Blood Bowl! Great game, used to love doing league games. Still got my goblin team all painted up. I screwed up though and sold my team's troll by accident when I sold my Orcs and Goblin Fantasy army as I was using it for both games and it was packed in the Warhammer case.

I assume if they bring it back, it will be in the form of a limited box set like Space Hulk and Dreadfleet perhaps.
The suggestion is that it'll be appearing in the same time frame as Dreadfleet/Space Hulk. I'll be very impressed if that's the case if 6th ed 40K appears next year too. There's talk of it having 4 teams so you may get a brand spanking new troll in the box. It all sounds a little bit too good to be true but it's coming from some very reliable sources so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
 
Hammer said:
Also, any advice on where to start on 40k lore? Have a space marine and space wolf codex but I know there is a lot of fiction as well. Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet, in case it was mentioned. Thanks!
The 40k rulebook has a lot of general lore and the odd thing you would find mentioned elsewhere. There's two wikis which provide a lot of info. If you're after books I would recommend either Eisenhorn or the Founding, both by Dan Abnett, as a good way of getting into it. Both are brilliant trilogies and from what I recall don't require any former knowledge.
 
rukland said:
That's my big fear as well. I mean just put the product out so I can pick it at my leisure and not have to worry about having the money right away.

I guess it all ties back to the argument that games like BB and MoW don't sell a ton of models so GW does this limited stuff to make a quick buck and then hoard it for 10+ years again.
Basically them seeing how Space Hulk and Dreadfleet sell out that fast and make them a ton of money is showing that it's better than investing full time into support of a product line. They scare people into buying the games also.

I love the stuff they put out, but GW is just a very annoying company and is main reason people really hate them so much, that it just snowballs into whining about every aspect of their products.

Cosmic Schwung said:
The suggestion is that it'll be appearing in the same time frame as Dreadfleet/Space Hulk. I'll be very impressed if that's the case if 6th ed 40K appears next year too. There's talk of it having 4 teams so you may get a brand spanking new troll in the box. It all sounds a little bit too good to be true but it's coming from some very reliable sources so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Well most GW rumors end up being true it seems, it's a huge company and always been prone to leaky ship syndrome. I can believe lot of the rumors, they put out elaborate sets and such, it just will be expensive.