• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Mikeside

Well I'm still on my break from 40k, but my group have started a Shadows of Brimstone campaign and I just got my hands on a Zombicide Black Plague huntsman kickstarter pack.

Loving Brimstone right now - atmospheric and lots of fun.
Can't wait to play Zombicide - the minis are gorgeous (and there are so many!!)

I'm also sort of itching to get Imperial Assault on the table. My buddy has the core box, so I need to pinch that off him so I can start looking at how to run the campaign

PittaGAF

Hi guys, long time no see but I still lurk everyday and drool over your awesome painted minis.
I almost completed painting Silver Tower meanwhile, but life got in the middle so painting with my son time was greatly reduced.

Apparently Games Workshop is about to announce the second new installment of Warhammer Quest, called Warhammer Quest Shadows over Hammerhal.

Can't wait, but I still have to complete 2 quests of Silver Tower.

I've never played Silver Tower but my nephew is itching to try something small scale and D&Dish, would that fit the bill? How does it play, how long do games take etc?

PittaGAF

I've never played Silver Tower but my nephew is itching to try something small scale and D&Dish, would that fit the bill? How does it play, how long do games take etc?

Imho it's awesome, best recent dungeon crawler.
I was an original WHQ lover in the 80 and this the modern reincarnation (even without the settlements and the between quests progression).
I play with my 8 year son, and he has a blast every time (like me).
It's very streamlined and 'simple' (and elegant) yet sufficiently deep to be strategic.
Gameplay is super fast and yet it's rich with story and events. The setting is very original too.
If there is an adult that knows the rules, it's super fast.

I played with 4 people too (it's always coop) and it's super awesome too.

First quests are simple, 3 hours max including getting comfortable with the rules (the FAQ cleared all initial doubts).
Latest quests are way more difficult (and interesting and prone to failure) and usually take us 4 hours (including setup, which is pretty fast anyway, 10 minutes max).

If you happen to live near a Games Workshop they have a small demo adventure setup that gives you a perfect idea. It lasts 1 hour.
That sold me.

The only barrier is building and eventually painting the minis (I was a total newbie but it got me and my son hooked on the hobby).

The included quests are 8 but there is a TON of variability.
We failed many several times and every time we re tried it it was pretty different.
We play regularly (sometimes doing a single quest again because we liked it so much) and it has been almost a year.

Imho it's awesome, best recent dungeon crawler.
I was an original WHQ lover in the 80 and this the modern reincarnation (even without the settlements and the between quests progression).
I play with my 8 year son, and he has a blast every time (like me).
It's very streamlined and 'simple' (and elegant) yet sufficiently deep to be strategic.
Gameplay is super fast and yet it's rich with story and events. The setting is very original too.
If there is an adult that knows the rules, it's super fast.

I played with 4 people too (it's always coop) and it's super awesome too.

First quests are simple, 3 hours max including getting comfortable with the rules (the FAQ cleared all initial doubts).
Latest quests are way more difficult (and interesting and prone to failure) and usually take us 4 hours (including setup, which is pretty fast anyway, 10 minutes max).

If you happen to live near a Games Workshop they have a small demo adventure setup that gives you a perfect idea. It lasts 1 hour.
That sold me.

The only barrier is building and eventually painting the minis (I was a total newbie but it got me and my son hooked on the hobby).

The included quests are 8 but there is a TON of variability.
We failed many several times and every time we re tried it it was pretty different.
We play regularly (sometimes doing a single quest again because we liked it so much) and it has been almost a year.

That sounds perfect for what my nephew's looking for (and perfect for me being the one who'll have to organise it lol).

Faiz

That's actually why it was brought up? Haha, no worries, it happens.

I'm excited for more WHQ, I do hope they embrace making it a cross-game system, not completely separated from others in the line. I want a role play book for it so bad but I doubt that's going to happen.

Leunam

Just a coincidence, someone was asking about it, I was wondering what kind of support it would get in the future, turns out another set is in the works. Which is great.

Not to say it hasn't gotten support already. White Dwarf is constantly putting don't rules for their latest games.

Leunam

I'll actually be submitting an old piece, as I haven't had time to come up with anything new. You could do the same.

And thanks for volunteering to handle the challenge. :)

Just a reminder that if you are taking part in this month's challenge, please send your pics and votes to me instead of Leunam, as I am taking care of things this month.

For January (staffyedit), our theme will be: Cover Up

- Scatter terrain or large terrain feature
- Single or multiple pieces, any landscape
- Include a brief description of your approach to this challenge

The choices for the February group build are:

- BFG (single model with ranged heavy weapon)
- Yes, Sergeant! (Single squad leader model)
- One Shot, One Kill (Single sniper model)
- Duel at Dusk (Multiple model diorama)

Past Group Builds

NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #0: Blood for the Blood God
NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #1: Robe and Wizard Hat
NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #2: 50 Shades Of

T8oz9ns.jpg

Just finished this! I hope it counts towards the BFG category (its a giant flamer, kind of?).

Here he is with his Tzaangor buddies.

Just finished this! I hope it counts towards the BFG category (its a giant flamer, kind of?).

Here he is with his Tzaangor buddies.

I think the theme is actually Cover it up (terrain piece) There was a typo in Leunam's post if I am not mistaken, February was mentioned twice.

Anyway, as I am in charge this month, I am accepting that into tarrain piece category because of that nice base. :)

And, it looks great, as always!

Oh, well if we're talking terrain I painted the Balewind Vortex shown here a few days ago :) I took this nice shot of my AoS terrain collection so far.

I sprayed it with Zandri Dust spray, then an all over wash of Reikland Fleshshade. I drybrushed it with Flayed One Flesh, then picked out various areas with coloured shades, and a little bit of bronze here and there :) Lastly I added a few blood patches and overgrown moss areas.

Oh, well if we're talking terrain I painted the Balewind Vortex shown here a few days ago :) I took this nice shot of my AoS terrain collection so far.

I sprayed it with Zandri Dust spray, then an all over wash of Reikland Fleshshade. I drybrushed it with Flayed One Flesh, then picked out various areas with coloured shades, and a little bit of bronze here and there :) Lastly I added a few blood patches and overgrown moss areas.

They really look great, love the look!

manfestival

alright friends I am throwing in the towel on painting my first minis. I am a little disappointed in how they look but I really didnt watch any tutorial videos. I guess I want them to look pro but I got a ways to go and lots of learning to do

anyways without further ado... my first painted minis

final_zpsqhlu1kbp.jpg

side_zps5jsrf9wa.jpg

back_zpseeplhdem.jpg

let me know what you guys think. I have 5 other guys I am going to start working on once I finish gluing them and I will take any advice to see the improvements. Trying to get my breacher team up and running to run with my cadre fireblade

alright friends I am throwing in the towel on painting my first minis. I am a little disappointed in how they look but I really didnt watch any tutorial videos. I guess I want them to look pro but I got a ways to go and lots of learning to do

let me know what you guys think. I have 5 other guys I am going to start working on once I finish gluing them and I will take any advice to see the improvements. Trying to get my breacher team up and running to run with my cadre fireblade

(This all is coming from someone with just a year of painting behind me, some more experienced gaffers can probably fill in)

Hey, they look pretty good for a first patch if you ask me. And if that's what you come up without any tutorials, I can tell you got the basic skills and the mindset to be a good painter!

I'm not sure, because it's often hard to tell from pictures, but it seems you have used a wash to shade the purple parts? If not, that's what I'd look into next. The same goes to the metallic parts, get some wash (perhaps Nuln Oil from GW) and go to town.

Then, I'd pick a colour to complement the purple - the choice is yours, but check on some colour theory if you are not familiar yet, and pick something that really works with the purple.

Also, making and painting the bases does wonders. You could use white clue and sand (there's almost no limits on what you use, actually), or if you want an easier (and a bit more costly) way, check on some of the texture paints GW sells.

Then, look into different highlighting techniques.

DCmIdh2.png

January's theme was Cover Up, scatter terrain piece(s) to decorate the table and maybe give some cover too. Terrain is very important and it does wonders to set the stage and mood for some epic wargaming. This is what our community came up with this month.

Leunam said:
jz05MGq.jpg

These two pieces are from an old kit that I did some time ago. I was working on a desert table, but just because it's a desert doesn't mean there is no vegetation at all. The buildings and the scatter terrain all had little bits of foliage attached. It's all a mix of flock from Woodland Scenics and aquarium plants. Such an easy technique adds a lot to terrain.

ScatheZombie said:
January was a slow month for the challenge (despite having finished about six individual pieces) as I was working on adding some more units to my AoS Orruks. I only managed to finish 3 pieces of the Garden of Morr set this month. I will probably finish up the last 4 pieces in February (one more Mausoleum, two fences and a the gate).

oJD4q8t.png

urdVCBG.png

5ZbC3JM.png

I also pulled out some of the stone ruins from the Reaper Minis "Dragons Don't Share" box set and painted them up. This is 3 of the 4 pieces. The fourth is almost done but attaches to the dragon and he's just based coated right now so you might see him in a later challenge or monthly painting post. These are meant more for D&D, but we've ended up using them in AoS games and they are amazing for breaking up the field and adding some areas for minis to climb on top of something.

bdRUpjx.png

r6ISqAb.png

I also found a couple more pieces in my Dwarven Forge pile that match pretty well with the table and crates I did for the Monochrome Challenge. Not really terrain, exactly, but some extra set dressing for D&D games.

YGoKAPy.png

My vote for February is Yes, Sergeant.

xOVS6ru.jpg

Staffy said:
yv0fIq8.jpg

I used one very high quality 25 mm base and drilled a hole in it's center with extraordinary craftsmanship using a professional miniature drill. Then I proceeded to select a perfect cut of high end metal wire and clued it into the hole using extra precision and high quality glue. Then I used the very best cotton wool in the market and applied it into the wire. After that, I painted everything using professional grade black and grey spray paints.

yes I ran out of time lol

Nice work! It was fun to see more of this side of the hobby. Maybe this month we can put our painted terrain pieces to use, because the theme for February is Duel at Dusk (Multiple model diorama)! Heading straight out of comfort zone with this one - let's see what we can come up with!

The choices for the March group build are:

- BFG (single model with ranged heavy weapon)
- Yes, Sergeant! (Single squad leader model)
- One Shot, One Kill (Single sniper model)
- Champion of Light (holy warrior, paladin, monk or a spiritual warrior)

Past Group Builds

NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #0: Blood for the Blood God
NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #1: Robe and Wizard Hat
NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #2: 50 Shades Of
NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #3: Cover Up

Finished my first anniversary miniature!

I really love the model, but was pretty disapointed in the quality (it's Finecast).

Her quality on the other hand was pretty good. Still needs a few touches here and there. White hair makes taking pics hard. Also painting black armour was a challenge.

Iced

Hope someone in here can help me out. Looking for sealant recommendations. I've read spray is best, and it's important that it protects the minis since I will be using them.

I've read Testors dullcote spray is excellent, but I'm having a hell of a time finding it anywhere.

I'm a first-time painter so specific links to products are appreciated! I'm in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks for any tips!

Mikeside

final_zpsqhlu1kbp.jpg

side_zps5jsrf9wa.jpg

back_zpseeplhdem.jpg

I've never seen purple Tau before, but I think these look really cool.

barik

^ If those Tau really are the first thing you've ever painted then you did a great job! Love the scheme too. I think the next thing to add would be to use washes/glazes, which is both fun to do and an easy way to add some depth to your colors.

So I recently started painting again, after a break of almost ten years. Apparently in that time I also forgot how hard it is to take good pictures because a lot of the subtleties aren't really noticeable, and it makes the whole thing seem a lot more muted than it really is. Oh well.

zombie.jpg

Iced

Yeah that would be the one. I use the same, but only for metal miniatures. I have found plastic minis don't really need a varnish, but using one will not hurt either.

So you don't use anything to protect the paint with plastic miniatures? I take it they're just for display?

And just to be clear: this is the only sealant I would need?

So you don't use anything to protect the paint with plastic miniatures? I take it they're just for display?

And just to be clear: this is the only sealant I would need?

I don't use any for plastic minis and yes, I do play with them. I'm just careful when transporting and handling them and I have seen zero chipping of paint. But as I said, there is no harm in using warnish so if you feel like it, go ahead. And no, you don't need anything else. That Army Painter varnish works well.

Li Kao

Heyyy people ! How are you doing ?
Just had a mega burnout that funnily lasted extacly one month give or take a day. Felt like shit leaving all this costly stuff to dust without knowing if the drive would come back. Now I'm still not sure if it has, but it looks like it.

Still on my start collecting Necrons, the base troopers and little hovering fleas will be finished soon. I will then be able to focus on the general and the vehicle and have hopefully a little more room on my desk to move, damnit.

In fact I don't think I will immediately begin another project, I have accumulated some unfinished minis (mostly unfinished bases) for one thing. And then I have to man up and varnish everything I've painted since my return to the hobby.

In the meantime, what are my options if I want to put jungle vegetation on a base ? That would really suit my dirty Taus and their earthly bases. Just saw that some people use paper vegetation, I'm not convinced. Is there no manufacturer that offers something a little more developed ?

PS. Feels good to read you again :)

Heyyy people ! How are you doing ?
Just had a mega burnout that funnily lasted extacly one month give or take a day. Felt like shit leaving all this costly stuff to dust without knowing if the drive would come back. Now I'm still not sure if it has, but it looks like it.

Still on my start collecting Necrons, the base troopers and little hovering fleas will be finished soon. I will then be able to focus on the general and the vehicle and have hopefully a little more room on my desk to move, damnit.

In fact I don't think I will immediately begin another project, I have accumulated some unfinished minis (mostly unfinished bases) for one thing. And then I have to man up and varnish everything I've painted since my return to the hobby.

In the meantime, what are my options if I want to put jungle vegetation on a base ? That would really suit my dirty Taus and their earthly bases. Just saw that some people use paper vegetation, I'm not convinced. Is there no manufacturer that offers something a little more developed ?

PS. Feels good to read you again :)

Welcome back, good to hear your feeling better. Miniature painting can and I think it should be a hobby that eases stress, not one that makes it worse. Helps mine at least.

For jungle vegetation, have a peak at plastic aquarium plants perhaps? You can find some lush and very colorfull plants you could cut to smaller pieces.

Iced

I don't use any for plastic minis and yes, I do play with them. I'm just careful when transporting and handling them and I have seen zero chipping of paint. But as I said, there is no harm in using warnish so if you feel like it, go ahead. And no, you don't need anything else. That Army Painter varnish works well.

Thanks for the info! I'll be picking some up this weekend.

Thanks for the info! I'll be picking some up this weekend.

You're welcome. And I think you said you were in Toronto? Remember to be mindfull of the weather when spraying (I'm assuming you do it outside). If it's too cold, too humid or too windy (like 90% of days where I live lol) the varnish might end up smoky or uneven.

Iced

You're welcome. And I think you said you were in Toronto? Remember to be mindfull of the weather when spraying (I'm assuming you do it outside). If it's too cold, too humid or too windy (like 90% of days where I live lol) the varnish might end up smoky or uneven.

Yeah I'll definitely need to pick my days carefully when spraying!

Top Bottom