• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minna no Golf 6 returns to PS3

duckroll

If this would force their first party studios to actually acknowledge Vita's existence then I'd have no problem with it. PS3 really doesn't need anymore games.

You're getting crazy. Go cool off and stop derailing the thread with your insanity. Just a heads up.

Afrikan

doesn't this mean that there will be more online players for Vita owners?

I'm sure this also means that whoever buys this PS3 version will get the Vita version for free. And if they don't have a Vita..well there might still be a bundle waiting for them, IF they huge fans of the series..but weren't into mobile gaming.

whew...kinda dizzy here from all that spinning.

Jonnyram

Awesome. I love what Sony is doing with Cross Play for multiplayer games. Wonder if buyers of the PS3 version will get the Vita version for free. That could encourage Vita sales in the long run.

I guess we can expect GT6 to be PS3/Vita too now?

onQ123

If this would force their first party studios to actually acknowledge Vita's existence then I'd have no problem with it. PS3 really doesn't need anymore games.

2guw8e9-1.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game owns. I never thought I'd give a crap about a golf game, but I totally got hooked on the Vita installment. I'd love to own it on PS3 since my Vita might not be around forever...

Just be sure to bring the daily tournies over to the PS3 version.

Timed exclusive can be enough to make a new platform look good. Minna no Golf 6 has its chance on Vita.

Would have been terrible if they announced from the beginning it would be coming to PS3 at some point but it wasn't.

On the other hand, there is no reason for anyone wanting to take the leap on a Vita for Sony titles to think they won't just be on PS3, as well.

HoTHiTTeR

/sogood.gif/

Will import day 1 into the US at any cost. Japan's minna lobbies far exceeded anything MNG5 pulled off in America.

Hence the emerging "will wait to play this on my PS3" meme.

At least in this case people had to wait.

The simultaneous Sound Shapes release blew my mind a little. Especially when it became obvious the servers were absolutely not ready to handle the addition of the PS3 userbase.

All Vita has at this point are Sony titles.

AC3: Liberation may be the best upcoming Vita game. In some ways it seems like they're putting even more of an effort into it than the console versions. Those are safe to some of the things that they're doing with the Liberation. The persona system is especially cool.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mrklaw said:
Hopefully they clean up the image quality but based on the previous versions I wouldn't hold my breath.
Yea me neither - PS3 version IQ was as bad as any of the PS2 (or PSP) games - Vita one at least had AA. But I can't help but hold out hope that they would be doing improvements and trickle them back into a Vita hi-res patch. It's painful watching the Opening Video in the game rendered in VitaNative res seeing how the game "could" have looked like...

Do cross-play titles have shared trophies?

shockingalberto said:
On the other hand, there is no reason for anyone wanting to take the leap on a Vita for Sony titles to think they won't just be on PS3, as well.
Cross-buy might help there - and besides this is a common issue with console->PC ports and that only ever hurt the PC side, even though it's the "superior" platform.

Ascension should have been vita exclusive I think.

Being a spin-off and not IV there doesn't seem to be alot of excitement around it... I think it would have been a better fit for vita than ps3 and there would be more hype for it.

Somnid

Ascension should have been vita exclusive I think.

Being a spin-off and not IV there doesn't seem to be alot of excitement around it... I think it would have been a better fit for vita than ps3 and there would be more hype for it.

They still would have ported it.

Hence the emerging "will wait to play this on my PS3" meme.

Now that I know they will start doing this I'll just wait for the PS3 versions.

AC3: Liberation may be the best upcoming Vita game. In some ways it seems like they're putting even more of an effort into it than the console versions. Those are safe to some of the things that they're doing with the Liberation. The persona system is especially cool.

The Vita version isn't being handled by the main team and handed off to a B team instead. Also, has it been confirmed that the Vita version has multiplayer? It UbiSoft was putting more effort into AC:L it would be handled by the main team.

Look at Hot Shots, done by the main team. Full effort given to it.

mao2

Don't have Vita yet, so this is great news for me! :D
Also, I hope SCEJ will release the next Minna no Tennis soon.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
OldJadedGamer said:
AC doesn't fit any standard definition of "team" (several hundred people working in multiple different studios) - in fact HSG team probably has more in common with AC:L then the other way around (and in terms of budget too).

And budget is the real differentiator of "B" and "A" teams as perceived on internet anyway.

web01

This game is hard.

Yeah the problem is they do not really have enough medium difficulty courses.
It goes from easy to really hard in one course.

Would not surprise me if they held back courses to sell as DLC. They could have at least gave us some of the PS3 courses.
Developers cheap skating on content is really starting to piss me off.

The second PSP game is still the best handheld version of everybody's golf.

Shinta

Banned
Portability. The only true advantage Vita has over an HD game.

Not true, especially with Gravity Rush. GR is probably the only game I've ever played that uses touch screen controls and gyroscope to actually enhance the gameplay. I can't picture it being as good on PS3. Even the comic-style cutscenes all turn with the gyroscope to enhance the art style. Also the Vita screen will look better than a lot of people's TVs.

As far as Hot Shots, I can't see how this is a negative. They basically said that if you have it on Vita, you get a PS3 version for free now and people complain? The entire cross buy program is radically forward thinking. It's the kind of thing you would expect from Valve, but here it's Sony leading the charge.

The obvious bonus in having a PS3 and a Vita is that you get two games for the price of 1 on a large number of Sony exclusives, and potentially even some third party stuff. If this actually took off, it would be a huge reason to buy multi-plat games on PS3 instead. I think it's literally one of the best ideas Sony has ever had, and it can only help the Vita.

Withnail

Not that surprising. If it's easy to port it's a good idea, they make their money from software sales after all. PS3 will be getting Vita ports for years to come in my opinion.

test_account

XP-39C²
The game bombed hard on Vita and burned the brand pretty bad so I say it's no surprise that Sony wants to give the game another chance.
In that sense, it is no surprise indeed. It isnt that unusual that games that preform poorly gets ported later on, trying to get more sales. But i dont think anyone saw this coming.

Now that I know they will start doing this I'll just wait for the PS3 versions.
Just curious, do you own a Vita?

The Vita version isn't being handled by the main team and handed off to a B team instead. Also, has it been confirmed that the Vita version has multiplayer? It UbiSoft was putting more effort into AC:L it would be handled by the main team.

Why is it often assumed that less effort is being put into a game because it is done by another team? Did people say that Batman Arkham Asylum was being developed by a B team because Rocksteady Games had only made one game earlier, which wasnt really reviewed very high?

The main team is already working on AC3. If they should make two games, it would mean less effort in both games, at least if they're working on the same timetable. Otherwise they would have to expand the team, but that is basically the same as hiring another developer instead.

Yep, multiplayer is confirmed. Not sure if online multiplayer is confirmed, but multiplayer is confirmed at least.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
test_account said:
Why is it often assumed that less effort is being put into a game because it is done by another team?
Most spinoffs have a smaller dev-budget, smaller marketting budget, and respectively lower review scores and/or game quality. On internet that's perceived as reduced effort by the parent company of course.

I don't think it's particularly fair to equate that to team expertise and/or talent though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Most spinoffs have a smaller dev-budget, smaller marketting budget, and respectively lower review scores and/or game quality. On internet that's perceived as reduced effort by the parent company of course.

I don't think it's particularly fair to equate that to team expertise and/or talent though.
That makes sense, i can see why there might be some doubts because of the reasons you mention there. But often (generally speaking, not saying it is the case here) it seems to be more directed towards that the game automatically will be bad/not-so-good because it isnt done by the main team.

tearsofash

._.

I own a Vita and PS3 but haven't paid much attention to my Vita. I like Hot Shots and I'm glad it's getting a PS3 entry, now more of my friends can enjoy it.

Hey there ;_;

All I know is that bigger online community = better. Besides, I've always loved playing HSG in HD.

Metallix87

This topic got fairly interesting.

Anyway, I will say Takao may be right to be alarmed, but really, who didn't see this coming?

test_account

XP-39C²
This topic got fairly interesting.

Anyway, I will say Takao may be right to be alarmed, but really, who didn't see this coming?
It makes sense now that it has been announced, but i dont think anyone saw it coming. Just look at the first page in this thread, several of comments shows that people didnt expect this to happen. Personally i dont think i ever saw a prediction for that Minna no Golf 6 would be ported to PS3.

EDIT: Unless you ment that "who didnt see this coming" referring to that Takao would be alarmed hehe :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Awesome. I love what Sony is doing with Cross Play for multiplayer games. Wonder if buyers of the PS3 version will get the Vita version for free. That could encourage Vita sales in the long run.

I guess we can expect GT6 to be PS3/Vita too now?

I don't even need the games to be identical. Eg they could do it for pS4 games, but just sharing the net code, and using reduced assets on vita.

I guess the risk is resource drain. I don't want Sony to be distracted from PS4 by trying to scrape by on vita.

Laguna

Banned
PSVita with a very similar strategy to PSP. What could possibly go wrong?

Ports aren´t a bad thing but a lot of people buy a new system for new experiences and different games. PSVitas lineup already was full of ports and now it´s also losing one of their few exclusive titles. Do they really intend to sell this system on portability alone?

This is just a greedy and cheap move imo, brainlessly only going after the short term profit.

Top Bottom