• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minna no Golf 6 returns to PS3

Dremark

Banned
i dont understand this thinking... you buy PSP for portable gaming, why would it need exclusive games compared to PS3? They should not make golf games for PS3 anymore so people who want to play golf on Playstation, they will have to buy PSP?

That doesnt seem right.

They didnt port PSP games before because they were too technically inferior... now they are not, so I cant understand what is the problem. It is a good thing.

It depends on the person. I rarely game on the go, but I buy portables because I want the exclusive games on them. I have a fairly large library of DS and PSP games but if any of them were on the PS2/3 or GC/Wii I would have bought them for that instead and if they all were on consoles I wouldn't have ever touched the portables.

I do understand that some people prefer portables or would want to be able to play the game on the go as well, but that's not everyone.

Spiegel

If Sony had managed to get Vita above 10k a week this would certainly be a game that likely would be bought alongside it.

They can't do that for many reasons, you know that, and MnG6 isn't going to sell that much more on Vita so it only makes sense to try to recover the brand on PS3.

The point is that MnG6 is a failure because it is a Vita game. The handheld can't support these kind of games at the moment.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Total digression here, but man HSG would be the perfect series for true async. Take your shot, then get a notification when it's your turn again and have the chance to see your friends' shots in the interim. I know it'll never happen but I would love it. With our HSG tournaments back in the day it was a huge bear getting everyone together even though there were tons of interested people. And HSG Vita's little tournaments where you independently compete on score with everyone are cute but not nearly as intimate or immediate as real async.

Ragus

Banned
Why? I'm not the biggest fan of GR, but I think it should be given a chance.

I like Gravity Rush. What I mean is, when I you can buy a Vita game on a home console which you already own, then why bother with buying Vita?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
still have my copy sealed along with wipEout for vita.....*sigh* time to sell not gonna play these

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
The point is that MnG6 is a failure because it is a Vita game.

I think it's too early to call MnG6 a failure tbh, also do we have current digital sales figures?, I bought the game twice, retail and digital when it dropped to £11.99 on the store.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Mingol6 is a good game, one that should be experienced by more people. Having said that, ouch, less than year later.

Takao

Banned
I only expect this to happen to games that can benefit from a crossplay feature. The're going to push the hell out of that along with crossbuy. So games like Uncharted, Gravity Rush and Tearaway should be off limits.

So what you're saying is that Soul Sacrifice is next.

i dont understand this thinking... you buy PSP for portable gaming, why would it need exclusive games compared to PS3? They should not make golf games for PS3 anymore so people who want to play golf on Playstation, they will have to buy PSP?

That doesnt seem right.

They didnt port PSP games before because they were too technically inferior... now they are not, so I cant understand what is the problem. It is a good thing.

Who is going to buy a Vita if all of its' games can be had on another platform that has sold far more than it has? Exclusive software drives hardware. A truly shocking revelation. Sony shouldn't discontinue PS3 Hot Shots titles, but rather create exclusive entries for each platform which they had been doing until now.

As for the comment about not porting PSP titles, given the PSP Remaster line (that SCEJ started oddly enough), HD Collections, and even PS2 ports (the PSP Hot Shots titles launched when PS2 was still chugging briskly) exist kind of says their visual quality is not a problem.

They can't do that for many reasons, you know that, and MnG6 isn't going to sell that much more on Vita so it only makes sense to try to recover the brand on PS3.

The point is that MnG6 is a failure because it is a Vita game.

So you're subscribing to the Vita is dead and can never recover school of thought? Well then there's no real point in arguing with you is there?

Spiegel

I think it's too early to call MnG6 a failure tbh, also do we have current digital sales figures?, I bought the game twice, retail and when it dropped to £11.99 in the UK.

I mean a failure in Japan, which should be the biggest market for HSG games.

So you're subscribing to the Vita is dead and can never recover school of thought? Well then there's no real point in arguing with you is there?

No, but the facts are that Vita is doing beyond poorly and MnG6 is a failure most certainly because it was released at launch on the Vita.

I'm all for Vita exclusives, and losing the only numbered Sony entry released on handheld isn't good news but you need to understand that MnG is one of the few Sony franchises that do decent numbers in Japan and they don't want to risk losing that.

Takao

Banned
I'm all for Vita exclusives, and losing the only numbered Sony entry released on handheld isn't good news but you need to understand that MnG is one of the few Sony franchises that do decent numbers in Japan and they don't want to risk losing that.

Make a MnG7 for PS3 that features content not in the Vita game. Port over Hot Shots Tennis from PSP. Either one is better than this.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If people weren't so hung up on Vita's exclusives and sales they'd realize that every exclusive lost to cross buy, cross play, and cloud saves is actually a great thing. Yes, more bespoke exclusives attracting new consumers would be a great thing, but when the situation is this dire and you can't be a chooser, this is the next best thing, as far as I'm concerned. Especially if you already own a PS3 and Vita.

I only expect this to happen to games that can benefit from a crossplay feature. The're going to push the hell out of that along with crossbuy. So games like Uncharted, Gravity Rush and Tearaway should be off limits.

Unless there's a multiplayer patch for Uncharted like was rumored a while ago. Though they would be better served to just let PS3 Uncharted 3 owners be download the UGA maps for free for cross play.

Koren

I understand this taking an "exclusive" away from Vita but how is this a big deal? No one actually purchased a Vita for Minna No Golf.
I was very very close to do it.

By close, I mean I had entered credit card info to order both, and I stopped just before clicking on the button. The only thing that stopped me is that I'm not fond of black color, and for a single game, I could wait a bit.

I'm pretty sure other people clicked.

I mean, after having bought the console, I would have bought other games, gravity rush and miku probably. But Mingol was pretty much the main "buy / don't buy" trigger.

I bought a PS3 for Mingol 5 in january 2007. Minna no golf was available in august 2007. I haven't buy a SINGLE game between january and august (except Railfan in january, just to check the console was working), I just used the BC.

It may be for few people, but for me, at least, and a couple others, it's a big deal.

ManeKast

This was the sole reason I had to get a VITA, sure theres more now, but this and ratchet and clank being on PS3 now...... I can wait.

I played the last PS3 entry in the series in Japanese, the menus are easy with the translation guides posted on the minna no golf fan site. So will import this. For sure.

patsu

Hope they add the game to the Cross Buy list.

To appease Takao, perhaps Sony should consider porting Demon's Souls and Dark Souls to Vita. 8^P

therapist

Its a great game , i dont see what people are complaining about.

IF this isnt a cross buy game , then thats stupid , if it is then its a Win-Win situation.

Calm the fuck down people.

spwolf

It depends on the person. I rarely game on the go, but I buy portables because I want the exclusive games on them. I have a fairly large library of DS and PSP games but if any of them were on the PS2/3 or GC/Wii I would have bought them for that instead and if they all were on consoles I wouldn't have ever touched the portables.

I do understand that some people prefer portables or would want to be able to play the game on the go as well, but that's not everyone.

but it is golf game... why should it be exclusive to PSP? That makes no sense to me.
I will probably never ever buy PSV... so I should not be able to play HSG anymore? Why when there are HSG on PS3 already?

Agent X

I would consider this a good thing. The game's already been out several months on the Vita, and has seen a price cut recently as well. If that wasn't enough to convince you to get this game on Vita, then I would surmise that you didn't have any real interest in playing this game on a handheld in the first place.

Thus, there is absolutely no such thing as a "lost sale" in regard to this development. Anyone who says otherwise is being disingenuous.

It's one less reason to own a Vita.

How so? Will all of the Vita versions of this game magically cease to function the moment that the PS3 version is released?

Wow. This was one title that was pushing me to get a Vita but now I'll just get the PS3 version. Just a matter of time before Tear Away is announced for PS3 as well.

Good luck on that one.

Are you genuinely looking forward to Tearaway, or is this just another smarmy strawman argument? I'd love to hear your proposal on how they rework the game for the PS3.

Takao

Banned
but it is golf game... why should it be exclusive to PSP? That makes no sense to me.
I will probably never ever buy PSV... so I should not be able to play HSG anymore? Why when there are HSG on PS3 already?

Why does Sony release exclusives for any platform?

spwolf

Why does Sony release exclusives for any platform?

i was not aware that Sony was releasing exclusives between PS3 and PSP platforms. There are games that are suitable for PSP OR PS3 only, rest of the games can be "multiplatform", as in both PS3 and PSP.

I think you are confusing "exclusives" with the fact that it was impossible to have multiplatform PSP/PS3 game before PSV was out.

Takao

Banned
i was not aware that Sony was releasing exclusives between PS3 and PSP platforms. There are games that are suitable for PSP OR PS3 only, rest of the games can be "multiplatform", as in both PS3 and PSP.

I think you are confusing "exclusives" with the fact that it was impossible to have multiplatform PSP/PS3 game before PSV was out.

It really isn't a good idea to have PSV/PS3 games. They should be PSV.

inner-G

Banned
I wouldn't be mad if all Vita games worked on PS3.

I longed to have PSP games playable on my console, I would have double dipped on KH: BBS and Crisis Core.

Sure it would make it harder to sell Vitas but I don't care how many they sell. As a consumer, being able to play the same game on multiple devices is awesome.

SykoTech

Given Sony great handling of collections, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Uncharted collection that includes Golden Abyss sometime in the future. Kinda already happened with the GoW PSP games.

Gravity Rush and Tearaway would be my two only biggest reasons to buy a Vita. Maybe ACIII as well.

onQ123

I wouldn't be mad if all Vita games worked on PS3.

I longed to have PSP games playable on my console, I would have double dipped on KH: BBS and Crisis Core.

Sure it would make it harder to sell Vitas but I don't care how many they sell. As a consumer, being able to play the same game on multiple devices is awesome.

I'm under the belief that it would make it easier to sell Vita.

if people already have the software on their PS3 knowing that you already have games that will work on the Vita will give you a reason to buy the hardware since you can play the games you already have on your PS3 on the go.

Takao

Banned
if people already have the software on their PS3 knowing that you already have games that will work on the Vita will give you a reason to buy the hardware since you can play the games you already have on your PS3 on the go.

This strategy worked amazingly well for the SEGA Nomad, and the Turbo Expres didn't it?

Loudninja

Playstation All Stars
Sly Cooper
Ratchet and Clank

Were all only on PS3 until announced for the Vita,I am not seeing the big deal at all more cross platform, games.

Takao

Banned
Playstation All Stars
Sly Cooper
Ratchet and Clank

Were all only on PS3 until announced for the Vita,I am not seeing the big deal at all more cross platform, games.

There's a problem with that too. The revelation that there's not a single exclusive Vita game coming from an SCEA studio.

Forever

Banned
There's nothing wrong with this, Sony should do it for all their titles. I'd like to play Gravity Rush on my PS3.

I hope it becomes the standard.

Glix

Just want to say that this game is AMAZING.

People mock, but I would have been hella psyched if they did this for Peace Walker or BBS or Valk Chron 2 back in the day.

Takao

Banned
obviously Sony should discontinue PS3 right now, so people will buy more of PSV.

If this would force their first party studios to actually acknowledge Vita's existence then I'd have no problem with it. PS3 really doesn't need anymore games.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
If porting is easy why not?

People who didn't got Vita now will never get a Vita for Hot Shot Golf,that game already sold what it can on Vita,keeping it on Vita will not make anymore money for Sony or Clap Hanz,also we know that cross play is part of Sony strategy on PS3 and Vita.

Not sure why Takao is going full on all super apocalypse dooms day and gloom cream cake here.

they prolly revealed porting because of the cross play.

i'm all for it. this doesnt mean anything about the vita. even if it was doing better than 3ds they would still want to port it to all viable devices to make as much as they could. very excited either way. last and only hot shots i played was on ps2 and I loved it. might be about time to revisit a golf game.

Top Bottom