• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minna no Golf 6 returns to PS3

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
A lost exclusive is always a bad thing, but let's face the truth, who wanted the game on vita already bought it, and it doesn't sell a lot.
Except platform specific games, i see a trend to multi/cross buy, ps3 lost the exclusivity of psasbr, sly 4 and others(if i'm not wrong), does this mean that the ps3 is over?

Hot Shots Golf 6 is 1080p on the PS3!

Also, two new modes: Slot Mode and Everyone's Short Course.

What is short course? Wish they had minature golf with about 3 courses included.

I have never seen a minature golf game done right, they always have power ups and strange physics. Nothing like the real thing. Along with course designs that are beyond raelistic, I love real mini golf.... why no one ca make slope courses with nice angles like the real pro courses, or even the goofy courses are never done right either... Must get phsyics and design down.. seems so easy but NO one seems to do it.

Is there any good mini golf games out there or pc that are like real mini golf...

lol Sony

I don't want Gravity Rush but Uncharted: Golden Abyss "3D" Version for the PS3 would be nice like with the PSP God of Wars ported to PS3.

So I guess Tako-chan is wrong? Sony ported PSP games to PS3 before.

It would be nice if those of us with the PSN copy of the Vita version got the PS3 copy for free :D

I bought the Vita game in a sale, I do not yet have a Vita.

Takao

Banned
What is short course? Wish they had minature golf with about 3 courses included.

I have never seen a minature golf game done right, they always have power ups and strange physics. Nothing like the real thing. Along with course designs that are beyond raelistic, I love real mini golf.... why no one ca make slope courses with nice angles like the real pro courses, or even the goofy courses are never done right either... Must get phsyics and design down.. seems so easy but NO one seems to do it.

Is there any good mini golf games out there or pc that are like real mini golf...

There actually is a Mini-Golf Hot Shots title. It stars Toro, and was released on PSN a few years ago. It was released in English on the Hong Kong store.

.la1n

1781200_o.gif

edit: LOVE HOT SHOTS GOLF

On previous form, this was a 9-hole par 27 course (every hole is a Par 3).

One of the portable titles (I think) had a short course where you had to get the ball into one of 5 holes and you scored points based on difficulty. All the shots had to be HIO's but the pins were at the bottom of some very steep hills (like this: \_/) so it was relatively easy to get HIO's.

I recall one of the very early titles (might have been when Camelot were making the games) had a putting mini-game but I got bored of that fairly quickly...

CamHostage

Timed exclusive can be enough to make a new platform look good. Minna no Golf 6 has its chance on Vita.

See, when this game was announced, I could swear that the PS3 SKU was actually in the mix on retailers or something like that? Maybe that was just the conclusion jumped to when the temporary "Hot Shots Golf Vita" title was still on and the Japanese title was announced as basically "Hot Shots Golf 6", but I could swear more solid sources listed this product version. I wasn't surprised at all that this was announced, the "timed exclusive" idea was always in my mind, maybe I'm alone in that. Now, if Gravity Rush is announced for PS3, that'll scare me...

thelastword

Banned
Great news, a hot shots golf game with trophies and at 1080p resolution on the PS3, I was waiting for such an announcement for years.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cross-play? If I can cross-buy, I'm there.

Just fix the damn update system. HSG5 was BAD on that front.

Yeah do not mind this at all as an owner of the vita version. Game seriously need some new players - 95% of the lobbies are always empty.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why are those screenshots 1200x675? hopefully just a website scaling them and not because the game runs sub-720p scaled up?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Can't wait to see some posters from this thread drooling with excitement when Nintendo will be bringing 3DS games to Wii U ;)

So, you'll never see them. Even if something like that happens, but probabilities are near zero. So, purpose of this post?

Laguna

Banned
Can't wait to see some posters from this thread drooling with excitement when Nintendo will be bringing 3DS games to Wii U ;)

Why should Nintendo move away from their successful strategy with exclusivity for each of their systems? It´s not as cheap and greedy as just porting and you need more studios and teams to make it work but obviously it´s more rewarding.

For example they are developing two different Smash Bros. games (3ds, WiiU) while Sony is just porting the PS3 version of their copycat.

RoadDogg

This was the only game I wanted on the Vita (HSG is a system seller for me...) so I'm glad I managed to hold out. I'm sure I will get a Vita some day so knowing this will be waiting in my library when I do is just an added bonus.

On previous form, this was a 9-hole par 27 course (every hole is a Par 3).

One of the portable titles (I think) had a short course where you had to get the ball into one of 5 holes and you scored points based on difficulty. All the shots had to be HIO's but the pins were at the bottom of some very steep hills (like this: \_/) so it was relatively easy to get HIO's.

I recall one of the very early titles (might have been when Camelot were making the games) had a putting mini-game but I got bored of that fairly quickly...

thanks for that, interesting and well said

Takao

Banned
This was the only game I wanted on the Vita (HSG is a system seller for me...) so I'm glad I managed to hold out. I'm sure I will get a Vita some day so knowing this will be waiting in my library when I do is just an added bonus.

There has been no confirmation of Cross Buy for this title. Yoshida has said Cross Buy wasn't even confirmed for Japan.

test_account

XP-39C²
Why should Nintendo move away from their successful strategy with exclusivity for each of their systems? It´s not as cheap and greedy as just porting and you need more studios and teams to make it work but obviously it´s more rewarding.

For example they are developing two different Smash Bros. games (3ds, WiiU) while Sony is just porting the PS3 version of their copycat.
I dont see how giving people a product they potentially want to buy have anything to do with greed? If people buy it, it shows that people want it. If they dont buy it, it shows that people dont want it.

Why do you say that a port of PS Allstars is a bad thing? (PS Allstars also play differently from Smash Bros, but that is another discussion). The reason for the two identical versions is to make sure that cross play works. That is the big thing here. Even Nintendo touted about connectivity with their Smash Bros game for WiiU/3DS. Minna no Golf 6 will also support cross play, meaning that more player can play against eachother, that is good.

We have no idea at this point if the WiiU and 3DS game will be two completely different games. If they should have some connectivity, i'm not sure that making two completely different and unique games is the way to go. At least i assume that the connectivity is something more than some simple SpotPass/StreetPass function where characters can be shared etc.. The difference in hardware power between the WiiU and the 3DS is much bigger compared to between PS3 and Vita, so it shall be interesting to see what Nintendo will do.

Laguna

Banned
I didn´t say it´s bad. It´s just cheap and lazy compared to exclusives and different games and obviously it´s not a hugely appealing marketing strategy for a handheld.

see5harp

The online in this game was the same piss poor thing that was patched into the last console version. There are no private lobbies, no way to invite people into your game, no voice chat, no way to even just watch another player take shots. The only thing they added was a timed leaderboard.

test_account

XP-39C²
:lol

This is a trend I can get behind.
Already happened many times though :) Usually it is released at the same date, or the games have been PS3 to Vita instead. But it probably will happen more times in the future too.

I didn´t say it´s bad. It´s just cheap and lazy compared to exclusives and different games and obviously it´s not a hugely appealing marketing strategy for a handheld.
I ment that you downplay it (using words like "just portring", "cheap" and "lazy") because it is a multiplatform game, or that a port is being done later on. I know that you didnt say that the game(s) itself is bad. I agree that getting an exclusive game in addition is a good thing, but i dont mind games being multiplatform or being ported later on either. Sony have made many Vita exclusive games so far, so it is not like they only do multiplatform games for PS3/Vita.

There hasnt really been a true cross play game yet like this on console/handheld, so we'll see how it turns out.

If they made an unique game, i dont think it would change much to be honest. It is afterall a fighting game, so it is limited to how much difference there could be. It would have to have many unique characters and unique stages for it to really matter. I'm wondering what Nintendo will do. Smash Bros Brawl already have 35 characters, so will the 3DS version get many unique characters? And will they still have more characters to add to the WiiU version on top of this?

Do you think that Nintendo will release the 3DS or WiiU version maybe 1-2 years after eachother by the way? I'm wondering about this due to the connectivity stuff they're talking about. I guess maybe it is possible if the connectivity is not related to gameplay between the two versions. Maybe it is something like sharing homemade stages.

But fair enough if you dont like the idea about games going multiplatform or being ported to another system later on. It is after all a subjective thing, so that cant be argued about.

Laguna

Banned
Already happened many times though :) Usually it is released at the same date, or the games have been PS3 to Vita instead. But it probably will happen more times in the future too.

That is what i ment, you downplay it because it is a multiplatform game, or that a port is being done later on. I know that you didnt say that the game(s) itself is bad. I agree that getting an exclusive game in addition is a good thing, but i wondered why you downplayed a game going multiplatform instead, or a game being ported later on.

There hasnt really been a true cross play game yet like this on console/handheld, so we'll see how it turns out.

If they made an unique game, i dont think it would change much to be honest. It is afterall a fighting game, so it is limited to how much difference there could be. It would have to have many unique characters and unique stages for it to really matter. I'm wondering what Nintendo will do. Smash Bros Brawl already have 35 characters, so will the 3DS version get many unique characters? And will they still have more characters to add to the WiiU version on top of this?

Do you think that Nintendo will release the 3DS or WiiU version maybe 1-2 years after eachother by the way? I'm wondering about this due to the connectivity stuff they're talking about. I guess maybe it is possible if the connectivity is not related to gameplay between the two versions. Maybe it is something like sharing homemade stages.

But fair enough if you dont like the idea about games going multiplatform or being ported to another system later on. It is after all a subjective thing, so that cant be argued about.

We don´t know if Sonys Minna no Golf 6 will be a part of this buy 1 get 2 versions offer, right now it´s just a Sony first and second party only offer, due to bad PSV hard- and software sales. They most likely expect that those games wouldn´t have sold a lot anyway after seeing software sales for a lot of their exclusive PSV games. I doubt this will be an offer that will be continued throughout this gen. Imo through this offer the sales of the PS3 versions will get a better push than PSV, not a bad thing at all but this won´t help their handheld a lot.

Ports aren´t a bad thing, but it can have a big impact on how a system will be valued. There are handheld only gamers but most others also have a console as their primary gaming device demanding different and new things for their money. This doesn´t mean they won´t buy any ports in their lifetime but those games are less interesting if they can just play them on their primary gaming system. Of course their is a vocal fanbase that loves the idea to continue their console games on their handheld but when you need to pay for another version many people will be happy with just one version.
----------
Smash was just an example. There are also games like Fire Emblem and Mario Kart that are different games on console and handheld. According to Sakurai he wants the handheld version of the next Smash installement to have RPG elements.

test_account

XP-39C²
We don´t know if Sonys Minna no Golf 6 will be a part of this buy 1 get 2 versions offer, right now it´s just a Sony first and second party only offer, due to bad PSV hard- and software sales. They most likely expect that those games wouldn´t have sold a lot anyway after seeing software sales for a lot of their exclusive PSV games. I doubt this will be an offer that will be continued throughout this gen. Imo through this offer the sales of the PS3 versions will get a better push than PSV, not a bad thing at all but this won´t help their handheld a lot.

Ports aren´t a bad thing, but it can have a big impact on how a system will be valued. There are handheld only gamers but most others also have a console as their primary gaming device demanding different and new things for their money. This doesn´t mean they won´t buy any ports in their lifetime but those games are less interesting if they can just play them on their primary gaming system. Of course their is a vocal fanbase that loves the idea to continue their console games on their handheld but when you need to pay for another version many people will be happy with just one version.
----------
Smash was just an example. There are also games like Fire Emblem and Mario Kart that are different games on console and handheld. According to Sakurai he wants the handheld version of the next Smash installement to have RPG elements.
Sure, i dont think MnG6 will be part of the 2-for-1 program, i just ment that it will have cross play.

I understand what you mean, thanks for the explanation. I see that you're only talking about sales potential, i can see/understand the arguements around that. I thought earlier that you were also referring to the games themself, not just about the sales, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Most of the Vita 1st party stuff is actually exclusive games too. Uncharted, Wipeout, Resistance, Modnation Racers, Super Stardust, Minna no Golf (until now) and upcoming Little Big Planet and Killzone are all unique games in the serie on the Vita. There are also ports like PS Allstars, Rachet & Clank Qforce and MLB The Show. Then there are new IPs too, like Gravity Rush and Soul Sacrifice. So the variation is actually pretty good. The problem is that the interest for many of these games have been low.

Top Bottom