• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst Delayed to June 7 (NA) June 9 (EU)

Yeah that's the problem (for me) though.I don't like this design in platformers when it's tided to skills that "magically" appear just because you gained some XP.

Instead i'd prefer if i got access to a previously inaccessible area by exploring some other interconnected hidden area that required some risky and precision/reflex based jumps.

I actually really like this idea. Like, the only way into a building is a leap off a crane to a drop which looks too far, and if you don't wait until the very last second before leaping you'll miss the landing. Or you've got to jump and land on something swinging back and forth and then time your next jump through a large spinning fan or something. There were tons of tricky runs in the first game for the speed challenges and it would be cool if they implemented stuff like them here for high-level platforming without requiring character upgrades.

I think that says enough, don't it.

6358928042390386772014330403_i%20dont%20think%20so.gif

giphy.gif

Speak for yourself. I'm excited, and can't wait to play it.

I think open world was the right decision for the franchise tbh. They've kept really tightly woven paths but given you freedom to just RUN, which is exactly what the first game was missing.

If they'd taken out any kind of well designed runs then it would be bad but they haven't, and the parkour mechanics really shine in that sandbox.

SomTervo

I haven't seen a lot of conversation about this since the beta. What's the feedback like? Are people still looking forward to it? Does the open world design appear to be a good decision?

I think that says enough, don't it.

The beta was fucking great. Your sub-optimal PC experience seemed to sour you on the whole thing. I remember you and I were playing it at the same time and I was in the thread going "this is fucking fantastic" while you were going "it barely runs, it's fucking terrible" (when it was a beta and problems like that are fully expected).

On PS4 it was bloody brilliant.

Only crazy hoody Mirror's Edge purists seem to have ragged on the Beta.

Not a big fan of open-world or excessive narrative, but still day one.

These two things don't beget each other, though? In fact, the opposite. Now that Mirror's Edge is open world, if you don't feel like watching a cutscene, you don't have to. Just keep running about in the game world.

This was the single thing which crippled the original for me. You couldn't just run forever. You were always gated or road-blocked within 20 mins.

Warriorr

Neo Member
Considering the mixed feedback from the beta, the lack of hype towards the game and the fact it is launching with a lot of competition... do you think Catalyst still stands a chance at success?

I remember the DICE design director saying that if this one does not meet expectations, it would be the end for the franchise. And god knows I don't want it to end.

SomTervo

Considering the mixed feedback from the beta, the lack of hype towards the game and the fact it is launching with a lot of competition... do you think Catalyst still stands a chance at success?

I remember the DICE design director saying that if this one does not meet expectations, it would be the end for the franchise. And god knows I don't want it to end.

The marketing seems pretty strong.

And honestly, marketing is practically the only thing that matters. Though word of mouth can go a long way nowadays.

Warriorr

Neo Member
The marketing seems pretty strong.

And honestly, marketing is practically the only thing that matters. Though word of mouth can go a long way nowadays.

Well, the thing is, I don't see any marketing for the game. And it launches in less than 3 weeks.

They should put a B1 demo in it.

Zojirushi

Would play it for art design and music alone. Not much they could really fuck up at this point for me anymore. Looking forward to it.

AHA-Lambda

Open world to me worried me from the off and the beta worries me more, as many of the beta's missions are essentially just fetch quests; that DAI design creeping in.

Just wanted to add -- The first 20 or so minutes of the game are mind-blowingly good, like GOTY quality, so if there's more content like that later on in the game, it could turn into something really, really special. The open-world aspect is just playing and creating time trials, and collectibles. The missions are just more Mirrors Edge, and if you're playing this game in 60FPS for the first time with these console releases, I think you'll agree it feels WAY better than 30FPS that we got on consoles last generation.

The unskippable on rails walking bit? What you on about m8?

Horohoro

The beta soured me a bit mainly due to the open world and social integration vomit all over the place. Gonna have to wait and see.

Total opposite for me open world is something I wanted in the original ME since of exploration + the ability to find different paths is great. It was the most voted for feature on mirrorsedge.com survey.

m4st4

I canceled my pre-order after playing Beta, sadly. :(

A combination of several aspects I thought were steps backwards:

-basic skill sets under lock
-expanded story aspects, sure, but extremely generic uninteresting characters
-world feels empty and there's no real immersion, I expected more from current gen ME

The rest looks alright: controls well, map isn't cluttered with unnecessary stuff... I just don't feel it and U4/Doom/Overwatch combo should do for now, at least until I decide to replay Witcher 3 and FFXV arrives.

Total opposite for me open world is something I wanted in the original ME since of exploration + the ability to find different paths is great. It was the most voted for feature on mirrorsedge.com survey.

Time will tell! I feel like I was treading the same ground way too often (returning to base for missions, etc.) after only a couple hours in the beta. Plus hearing that that was supposedly a fairly large percentage of the final map had me missing the more varied courses of the original.

SomTervo

Well, the thing is, I don't see any marketing for the game. And it launches in less than 3 weeks.

They should put a B1 demo in it.

I see quite a lot of posters and banners - mainly online admittedly, but it's there.

I think the brand itself is pretty strong.

I unfortunately can't create a new thread (if someone want to...) but DICE released the whole map of the city:

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/map

I don't know if ALL will be explorable.

Holy fuck, that is huge!!!

If that full thing is the game map, then the demo included like... Less than 1/10th of the whole thing!

This is fucking glorious!

Edit: according to their twitter the whole thing is explorable

I'm making a thread if no-one else has

Holy fuck, that is huge!!!

If that full thing is the game map, then the demo included like... Less than 1/10th of the whole thing!

This is fucking glorious!

Edit: according to their twitter the whole thing is explorable

I'm making a thread if no-one else has

Nice to see that the Shard is back. It's location screams 'endgame' to me.

Top Bottom