• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst Delayed to June 7 (NA) June 9 (EU)

This game is fucked, to be honest.

I had all the hype and it's very nearly all gone.

Yeah, it's been almost three fucking years since it was revealed and my excitement is almost completely diminished at this point. Just release the damn thing.

Same with Uncharted 4. Too much time between reveal and release.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How many people will blame the PS NEO after it comes out when things like this happens?

While AAA means one thing to a set of people, it means another to another set. It may have AAA budget/scale of production, but Mirror's Edge isn't a great sales driver. Pre-order numbers aren't good. Late nights events are not given hours for. So on. Doesn't matter when it launches. I don't see EA touting pre-order numbers for the game. It's the most niche "AAA" game out there (and I'll be happy to play it when I can).

I don't play shooters or MOBAs. May is pretty weak to me. Why are people excited? Anyone can do this.

It's certainly killer to a group of gamers who love niche and RPGs games. A ton of great games in June. Including this one now. Although, Beta impressions are all over the place right now. o_O

Who's this other set of people where AAA is defined by sales numbers?

Catdaddy

Smart move it would have gotten forgotten in the UC4 / Doom crossfire. After beta will definitely be a buy, but UC4 is my May game and would have waited to buy ME in June anyways.

EpicBox

I want Uncharted 4 to be delayed as well, because I won't be able to afford either till June. And I want to avoid spoilers.

Not going to happen though, because U4 has gone gold.

I haven't seen a lot of conversation about this since the beta. What's the feedback like? Are people still looking forward to it? Does the open world design appear to be a good decision?

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't seen a lot of conversation about this since the beta. What's the feedback like? Are people still looking forward to it? Does the open world design appear to be a good decision?
I'm still patiently waiting for the release.

I loved the original and had concerns about the new one. After playing the beta, I think I'm happy enough with it. There will be flaws, and the original had flaws, but I think the new one should be ok if the rest of the game is the same quality as the beta area.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I played the Beta, which was about 1/4 of the entire game, reportedly. I loved it. It's just more Mirror's Edge, but in an open world setting. Combat has been improved and everything feels slick. What's crazy is, the missions (the more linear parts of the game) are really good, it's the open world part that's just kinda there. Overall though I really liked it.

jett

D-Member
I haven't seen a lot of conversation about this since the beta. What's the feedback like?

I think that says enough, don't it.

Are people still looking forward to it?
6358928042390386772014330403_i%20dont%20think%20so.gif

Does the open world design appear to be a good decision?

giphy.gif

Vire

Feedback has been underwhelming to say the least.

Are people looking forward to it? On a personal level... not especially.

Does the open world design appear to be a good decision? Hell no.

Alec

I was blown away by the beta...I just didn't say a single thing to anyone about it. It's still Day One for me.

Golgo 13

Just wanted to add -- The first 20 or so minutes of the game are mind-blowingly good, like GOTY quality, so if there's more content like that later on in the game, it could turn into something really, really special. The open-world aspect is just playing and creating time trials, and collectibles. The missions are just more Mirrors Edge, and if you're playing this game in 60FPS for the first time with these console releases, I think you'll agree it feels WAY better than 30FPS that we got on consoles last generation.

jett

D-Member
Just wanted to add -- The first 20 or so minutes of the game are mind-blowingly good, like GOTY quality, so if there's more content like that later on in the game, it could turn into something really, really special. The open-world aspect is just playing and creating time trials, and collectibles. The missions are just more Mirrors Edge, and if you're playing this game in 60FPS for the first time with these console releases, I think you'll agree it feels great.

...wat? You mean the unskippable cut-scenes and the "you've never touched a controller before, right?" tutorials?

Blizzard

Banned
Feedback has been underwhelming to say the least.

Are people looking forward to it? On a personal level... not especially.

Does the open world design appear to be a good decision? Hell no.
Even as a huge fan of the first one (including lots of time messing with custom mapping) I'm looking forward to it.

From the Catalyst beta, the open world was one of the strengths I felt. Being able to run between sections seamlessly was great. I enjoyed just traversing randoms ections. One negative was large loading times (10-15 seconds? I'm not 100% certain) even on a SSD when you restarted a time trial.

The first game was much more of a linear guided experience, but hopefully the Catalyst story missions maintain that.

...wat? You mean the unskippable cut-scenes and the "you've never touched a controller before, right?" tutorials?
A developer confirmed cutscenes will be skippable. I sure wouldn't skip them on the first playthrough though.

lcap

Well, honestly for me, the beta had a LOT of content, more than I think it should. I went from a buy on a sale to day 1 because of it.

I have a few criticisms about the open world nature of the game, but I will reserve them to the final game, when I can play it on totality.

NeoRaider

To be honest beta killed all the excitement and hype i had for this game. So much that i don't plan to buy it anymore and instead of Catalyst i am spending my money on Overwatch. I might buy Catalyst one day tho. probably when it's 50-60% off.

Shredderi

There really does seem to be a significant lack of excitement towards the game. I haven't heard anyone talking about it at all.

Blizzard

Banned
That reminds me, two things I was concerned about:

1. Origin. I'd never installed it. After using it, I can confirm that it is kind of obnoxious and chat history is bugged (repeats messages like 50 times). Maybe it'll get improved eventually.
  2. Online content. This was actually much cooler than I expected. You can easily compete with friends for times as well as sharing custom time trials. You can leave logos on billboards that may show up in friend's games. You can mark certain scenic points that were tough to reach, and track when other players find your point. The main complaint, which hopefully is addressed with an option, is that it would be nice to toggle all the user-generated content elements off when you're just roaming around. Otherwise you see red everywhere.

There really does seem to be a significant lack of excitement towards the game. I haven't heard anyone talking about it at all.
I think there have been multiple threads...there just isn't anything to say recently without news and with the release date still a ways off.

The beta reassured me that this is a game that I do not want. Movement made me sick and I don't care about the characters. I hope those excited about the game really enjoy their time.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just wanted to add -- The first 20 or so minutes of the game are mind-blowingly good, like GOTY quality, so if there's more content like that later on in the game, it could turn into something really, really special. The open-world aspect is just playing and creating time trials, and collectibles. The missions are just more Mirrors Edge, and if you're playing this game in 60FPS for the first time with these console releases, I think you'll agree it feels WAY better than 30FPS that we got on consoles last generation.

are you talking about the same stuff we got in the beta?

Golgo 13

It's sort of tough when you have Dark Souls 3, Doom, and Uncharted 4 releasing in the same month period, one after another, but yeah I agree it's been fairly quiet. The first one wasn't a blockbuster success, were actually pretty lucky to be getting a second game, honestly, so I can see the lack of hype.

GavinUK86

I think that says enough, don't it.

Blergh, I can taste the salt from here.

I enjoyed the beta, loved the first. CE day one for me. I'm SUPER excited to play it. No gaf circle jerking doesn't necessarily mean no one is looking forward to it.

_woLf

Beta was ok. Die hard fan of the first since before it's release, one of the few that defended it when it was getting so much hate - Catalyst is a completely different game.

Mechanically, it's sound...ish. Combat is weird. Combos feel like they should be a thing but they're counter-intuitive and fighting enemies is super clunky because of it. I don't really feel that the open world-ness was necessary and it's done in a really generic way with the floating collection orbs and other collection stuff. The music seems to be lacking (from what we've heard, at least) compared to ME1 - this includes the main theme which is now seemingly by CHVRCHES...

Graphics are absolute dogshit, though. The art style in general is a lot less clean which ruins a lot of what made Mirror's Edge unique. The image quality, even on PC, was not good. The lighting was REALLY bad, particularly in shadowed areas. It looked straight up unfinished. Texture quality is okay, I guess. But LOD issues galore.

I was expecting the game to at least look like it did in the initial gameplay trailer. It does not.

sublimit

Banned
Beta was ok. Die hard fan of the first since before it's release, one of the few that defended it when it was getting so much hate - Catalyst is a completely different game.

Mechanically, it's sound...ish. Combat is weird. Combos feel like they should be a thing but they're counter-intuitive and fighting enemies is super clunky because of it. I don't really feel that the open world-ness was necessary and it's done in a really generic way with the floating collection orbs and other collection stuff. The music seems to be lacking (from what we've heard, at least) compared to ME1 - this includes the main theme which is now seemingly by CHVRCHES...

Graphics are absolute dogshit, though. The art style in general is a lot less clean which ruins a lot of what made Mirror's Edge unique. The image quality, even on PC, was not good. The lighting was REALLY bad, particularly in shadowed areas. It looked straight up unfinished. Texture quality is okay, I guess. But LOD issues galore.

I was expecting the game to at least look like it did in the initial gameplay trailer. It does not.

Is the platforming (the way you jump/climb) exactly as the first one?

wouwie

It's strange. I loved the original and really wanted a sequel so much. I just wanted more of the same basically but once it was revealed as open world with upgrades and unlocks, i lost my excitement a bit. It's most probably still a day one buy though but i wish it didn't go the way it did. The developer seems to have ticked all the boxes of a "modern" game in order to sell more.

Still, i hope it turns out to be a good game.

Blizzard

Banned
Is the platforming (the way you jump/climb) exactly as the first one?
It's similar but different. You can either double tap or or hold jump to springboard now, which has the result of making springboards way more reliable.

The sideboost got made into a gameplay mechanic.

The roll is a weird half flip now which kind of bugged me but I got used to it. It was presumably to avoid motion sickness for certain people. You can also flip out of a slide to keep running which is pretty cool.

In the beta there was an exploit where you went faster in a straight line if you coil jump bunny hopped rapidly instead of just sprinting. I hope they fix that. (I think the original had a different exploit?)

Climbing may be faster and there's an upgrade to make it MORE faster.

There's a new type of pipe on building corners now which lets you fly around the corner really quickly. It's not used often but it's cool when it shows up.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Huge, huge fan of the first one, and loved what I saw of the beta. Only thing that is keeping me from playing it on day one is no console to play it on since I haven't bought into the current gen yet. Waiting to watch E3 before I buy an Xbox One.

Although I do want to get a proper judgement of how big the entire city is for exploration, but I want the game regardless. The open world decision is still a great decision that fits the world of Mirror's Edge to me.

Warriorr

Neo Member
Although I do want to get a proper judgement of how big the entire city is for exploration, but I want the game regardless. The open world decision is still a great decision that fits the world of Mirror's Edge to me.

Yay, the open world fits quite well with Mirror's Edge.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yay, the open world fits quite well with Mirror's Edge.

It's great to be able to just roam and get to wherever you want in real time, like the runner the game makes you out to be. With the day-to-night cycle on top of that too, it's just wonderful.

A-V-B

Since that beta I would disagree with that.

So far I'd say it's not a negative. It's not a huge plus, either, but it is nice to explore. The current problem is probably a lack of variety. No street levels, no subways. Some of this will be rectified in the full game, though.

Another nitpick is that traversing is smoother than it used to be, almost to a detriment. Faith is a ghost in terms of her inhuman running abilities. There's little weight to her aerobic prowess. Acceleration from a standstill feels nearly instantaneous instead of the adrenaline rush from building speed in the original game. It's a change in animation timing and audio presentation, which reduces the visceral connection to the environment. The effect may be that it creates less satisfaction from the act of freerunning. That's not say it feels bad, or there's zero challenge. The game's still skill-based, and you still need to create running momentum. There's no Assassin's Creed auto-parkour to be found.

At the end, it remains Mirror's Edge. Which is pretty good. It's fun. What I'm complaining about is the contrast between a Porsche and a Ferrari. You can't go wrong with either one, but the difference does exist.

I loved the beta so I'm definitely looking forward to it. I didn't really have any of the problems others seemed to have with it, but then I seem to be more forgiving of AAA game design than most here.

JarrodL

I just finished the original yesterday, and honestly the story levels felt too constrictive, linear and small for this type of game. Open world is the right way to go in my opinion, provided it's done well.

sublimit

Banned
It's similar but different. You can either double tap or or hold jump to springboard now, which has the result of making springboards way more reliable.

The sideboost got made into a gameplay mechanic.

The roll is a weird half flip now which kind of bugged me but I got used to it. It was presumably to avoid motion sickness for certain people. You can also flip out of a slide to keep running which is pretty cool.

In the beta there was an exploit where you went faster in a straight line if you coil jump bunny hopped rapidly instead of just sprinting. I hope they fix that. (I think the original had a different exploit?)

Climbing may be faster and there's an upgrade to make it MORE faster.

There's a new type of pipe on building corners now which lets you fly around the corner really quickly. It's not used often but it's cool when it shows up.

Thanks.I'm still confused at how different the changes feel in comparison to the first.I guess i need to play it myself.

One thing however that i'm sure i'm not a fan of are the skill unlocks/upgrade system.I prefer myself to become better at playing a game (unless it's an RPG) as my skills "upgrade" the more i play the game and not by upgrading more and more skills through some (usually) easily aquired XP.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks.I'm still confused at how different the changes feel in comparison to the first.I guess i need to play it myself.

One thing however that i'm sure i'm not a fan of are the skill unlocks/upgrade system.I prefer myself to become better at playing a game (unless it's an RPG) as my skills "upgrade" the more i play the game and not by upgrading more and more skills through some (usually) easily aquired XP.
I tend to agree, but it was only a mild speedbump in the beta. There's a bit of a Metroidvania aspect too since certain routes may become doable with equipment / skills.

robotrock

Banned
I never felt as fast as I did in the first Mirror's Edge with the Catalyst beta. And the directional combat stuff is lost on me. Maybe it makes more sense with a controller rather than a mouse/keyboard.

sublimit

Banned
There are lots of small tweaks that may be good or bad (I didn't get the play the beta enough to fully tell), but yes.

Thanks!You are one of the people whose opinion (especially regarding Mirror's Edge and Tomb Raider) i respect and trust a lot so you gave me some hope now. :)

I tend to agree, but it was only a mild speedbump in the beta. There's a bit of a Metroidvania aspect too since certain routes may become doable with equipment / skills.

Yeah that's the problem (for me) though.I don't like this design in platformers when it's tided to skills that "magically" appear just because you gained some XP.

Instead i'd prefer if i got access to a previously inaccessible area by exploring some other interconnected hidden area that required some risky and precision/reflex based jumps.

Top Bottom