• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Official boxart

NotLiquid

Honestly the whole "stereotypically Asian" angle is hardly the reason why I prefer the older design - what struck me with Mirror's Edge the most was how it had a very soft, elegant presentation that extended itself into most of the character designs. Faith came across as more of an elegant drifter to the unseen eye when put on the backdrop of the white tinted skylines. It wasn't necessarily the most realistic depiction but I did appreciate how it managed to take some simple and clean liberties to make the design stand out that much more.

While Catalyst looks fantastic it goes for a bit more of a realistic angle with some high amount of details added to the mix that come at the cost of the same level of colorful aesthetic. That is far from a necessarily bad thing though cause it still feels like Mirror's Edge while being more of it's own thing, and that kind of extends to Faith's new design, who now design-wise comes across as more of a "survivor"-type character. It works. But as a whole I can't blame people for preferring that older Faith and, by extent perhaps, some of the older visual settings because it's not just enhanced graphics - it's an almost completely different visual style. Some are going to prefer the old, while some will prefer the new.

Alright you win.

HsKNKMH.png

Now that looks much more stylistically appealing.

What's the deal with the Emma Stone line? Something from GAF or elsewhere?

No they had her play someone with Asian heritage in a movie recently, Aloha and she is about as white as you can get.

I'm assuming its a joke post though because Emma doesn't look Asian at all while Faith does

Skilletor

Honestly the whole "stereotypically Asian" angle is hardly the reason why I prefer the older design - what struck me with Mirror's Edge the most was how it had a very soft, elegant presentation that extended itself into most of the character designs. Faith came across as more of an elegant drifter to the unseen eye when put on the backdrop of the white tinted skylines. It wasn't necessarily the most realistic depiction but I did appreciate how it managed to take some simple and clean liberties to make the design stand out that much more.

While Catalyst looks fantastic it goes for a bit more of a realistic angle with some high amount of details added to the mix that come at the cost of the same level of colorful aesthetic. That is far from a necessarily bad thing though cause it still feels like Mirror's Edge while being more of it's own thing, and that kind of extends to Faith's new design, who now design-wise comes across as more of a "survivor"-type character. It works. But as a whole I can't blame people for preferring that older Faith and, by extent perhaps, some of the older visual settings because it's not just enhanced graphics - it's an almost completely different visual style. Some are going to prefer the old, while some will prefer the new.

Now that looks much more stylistically appealing.

I'm fine with people preferring the old look. I am NOT okay with people becoming experts on what all asians look like and declaring that Faith does not fit in with their narrow view of this huge ethnicity of varied appearances.

So, in short, this fan would rather see her as an anime "waifu" instead of a normal Asian?

If you think Faith looks "normal Asian", lol.

Edit: Not that I'm against people preferring the original look. That is fine. My issue comes with people saying "She's not asian enough!" when the original design is basically a Western view of Asian people stereotype.

NotLiquid

I'm fine with people preferring the old look. I am NOT okay with people becoming experts on what all asians look like and declaring that Faith does not fit in with their narrow view of this huge ethnicity of varied appearances.

I definitely agree with this. People's preconceived ideas of what someone would look like based on their ethnic background shouldn't be a factor to what is good design or what even someone of that background would actually, realistically look like. While I do overall prefer the older designs, I feel like Faith's general design is still great (mostly) and resonates well with the world that they're trying to depict, and of course her ethnical background. They still nailed it, but in a different way that is informed both by a level of realistic frame of reference and the world of the game.

vypek

No they had her play someone with Asian heritage in a movie recently, Aloha and she is about as white as you can get.

I'm assuming its a joke post though because Emma doesn't look Asian at all while Faith does

Oooh okay. I see. Thanks for explaining. I had seen the joke posted a few times in the other thread when it was officially revealed but had no idea what it was about.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Really bummed out she doesn't look asian anymore.
That's a bullshit thing to do DICE. It's not as though we have an overabundance of characters in western games.

If it was a male on the cover, can't imagine there'd be anywhere near the discussion on his appearance.

Saw Faith's face for about 10 seconds in the first game... couldn't care less what the character looks like as long as the mechanics are solid.

Red Hood

Banned
If you think Faith looks "normal Asian", lol.

Edit: Not that I'm against people preferring the original look. That is fine. My issue comes with people saying "She's not asian enough!" when the original design is basically a Western view of Asian people stereotype.

I'm not even sure what you mean, how does a "normal and stereotypical" Asian look like? Squinty-ish eyes, check. Sleek black hair, check. Slender posture, check.

I'm not even sure what you mean, how does a "normal and stereotypical" Asian look like? Squinty-ish eyes, check. Sleek black hair, check. Slender posture, check.

She looks like a stereotype. Extremely slanted eyes being the biggest culprit. Don't take my word on it, here was Japan's reaction to the game. Guess I'm going to have to post this in every ME:C thread to explain why DICE made the change

http://kotaku.com/5101715/what-do-some-japanese-commenters-think-of-faith-from-mirrors-edge

"Man, the Mirror's Edge protagonist is way creepy... It's like some Asian female stereotype."

"For Westerns, there's not much difference between the faces that eat kimchi and the faces that eat soy sauce."

"Slant eyes for Asians is the same as big lips for black people."

"But foreigners think slant eyes are sexy."

And there are many, many, many more articles on it. In general the Asian demographic that plays games were not at all happy with how Faith was portrayed

Breakage

I think he means "Asian doesn't equal Japanese exclusively." Nothing do with population size.

And she looks South East Asian. There are South East Asians stating that she looks South East Asian.

I don't know why he presumed I thought Asian = exclusively Japanese.
I said Faith's redesign lost the oriental features that were present in the original concept.

I don't think she looks south east Asian. Different opinions, I guess.

Ramenman

I didn't really like the artwork so I guess I don't like the boxart either. Will buy it twice anyway of course.

I do hope their marketing dept is right and giving the boxart character an angryvideogameface (tm) will make the game profitable this time :D

I still like the previous renditions of the character better (ME1 artworks and early ME2), but I guess i'm gonna play the game and not the artworks so.

Edit : oh god 4 pages and we're already on the ethnicity topic. good lord.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I quite like it, I mean she's not holding a gun or a sword, which makes it one of the most unique covers of all time.

Edit: This thread is getting weird fast.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hopefully the platforming is less awkward now. I would loose all types of momentum running into things because i could not tell where i was supposed to run.

As for the face of faith issue, she looked like an asian originally. She still looks like an asian, different type, more southeastern Vietnamese or Thai but still. I don't see the issue. Even that 'fan edit' looks more like a Japanese than the more Chinese type of the original face. But they re still Asians.

Faith never had an 'ethnicity' anyway, so she's not even pinned down to one specific type of asian.

rtcn63

I don't think she looks South East Asian. Different opinions I guess.

South East Asians are saying that she looks like them. Are you South East Asian? Maybe it's a nationality thing. I've met plenty of Vietnamese and Thai with her features. Can't speak for Filipinos, Malaysians, etc.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
She looks like a stereotype. Extremely slanted eyes being the biggest culprit. Don't take my word on it, here was Japan's reaction to the game. Guess I'm going to have to post this in every ME:C thread to explain why DICE made the change

http://kotaku.com/5101715/what-do-some-japanese-commenters-think-of-faith-from-mirrors-edge
Not to doubt that some people hold these opinions, but that article in particular translates a selection of comments from 2ch.
I'm pretty sure if somebody posted a bunch of comments from 4chan and reddit as an opinion with weight, they'd be laughed out of the thread.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

And there are many, many, many more articles on it. In general the Asian demographic that plays games were not at all happy with how Faith was portrayed

Sounds like DICE should've just made Faith a generic White Dudegirl. #JapanIsSaved?

In any case, I don't have horse in this race. Faith in ME1, 2's reveal and this new boxart/concept all look fine to me. So whatever at SEA/Japan and thinking the character is a stereotype or whatever.

Inuhanyou said:
Hopefully the platforming is less awkward now. I would loose all types of momentum running into things because i could not tell where i was supposed to run.

You really don't have this problem outside of a first play-though, which is really the star of the game: Being able to run places without even thinking. And really, people should probably turn off the red "go here" markers in the first place, they aren't that useful outside of showing springboards.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Somebody shop her with slanty eyes and see if people think that will make her look "more Asian".

Top Bottom