• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge demo coming Oct 30 PSN/Oct 31 XboxLive

StuBurns

Banned
dhelfric said:
Actually, the aren't many jaggies on my PS3 demo except for the zip line at the start.
I don't know what kind of game you guys are playing.
Yeah, we're all wrong. Even the photos that have been posted have been photoshopped to make it look like it. You caught us.

PS3 version all the way. I don't see what all this crying is all about. The 360 version is uber BRIGHT, while the PS3 version is freaky sharp. Fact of the matter is, BUY THE FUCKING GAME. Nuff said. Damn, some you bitch more then bitches
(No offense to bitches)

Mohonky

stuburns said:
Yeah, we're all wrong. Even the photos that have been posted have been photoshopped to make it look like it. You caught us.

:lol

It's always the case. The interwebs are just one big conspiracy..

NIN90

stuburns said:

No it's just GAfers being anal once again.
Even if there are jaggies, they didn't distract me from the gameplay.

Wow, the game is amazing. The whole concept is really brilliant. It takes fps to a whole new level.. It's one of those things that makes you ask, damn , why didn't someone think of this before..

bluemax

Banned
Played the demo and its okay as a concept but I don't know how much of a game they can really get out of this. The combat is shit, and avoiding people is only so fun.

Like a poster on the previous page said there was a lot of trial and error. I like that there are multiple paths but I wonder if those will go away when inside.

I found myself resorting to a lot of Metroid Prime style "look down at the ground so I know where the end of the platform is to jump off of" which isn't something that is easy to do when you're running.

Didn't like the controls at first but they got better as I played. Weird not using the face buttons though.

I like the originality just don't know how long the concept would hold my interest and how much of the frustration I could put up with.

360 demo here..

HOLY FUCKING SHIT WTF THIS GAME IS FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

Most fun game I played since Crackdown possibly. Fuck off Gears and Fable, my holiday purchase is here.

Feindflug

dhelfric said:
Actually, the aren't many jaggies on my PS3 demo except for the zip line at the start.
I don't know what kind of game you guys are playing.

Some of your impressions guys are really making me wonder if we played the same demo...PS3 demo is definitely plagued with jaggies, maybe the worst case of jaggies I've seen this gen and the 360 version is so much smoother it's not even funny - btw both systems are connected via HDMI at 1080p on a Samsung 40F86.

I honestly can't understand how can anyone prefer the PS3 version visual-wise...

dhelfric said:
No it's just GAfers being anal once again.
Even if there are jaggies, they didn't distract me from the gameplay.

why so judgemental.. we're not telling you to be MORE critical.. be happy that you don't see what we see.

Eccocid

i am having insane amounts of screen tear on ps3 version. tho i tried it on SD TV...is it possible to have more screen tearing due to using SD TV?

StuBurns

Banned
Eccocid said:
i am having insane amounts of screen tear on ps3 version. tho i tried it on SD TV...is it possible to have more screen tearing due to using SD TV?
People are only getting screen tear in SD yeah.

Mr. Smith

just played this on a hdtv and i sdtv. adn i must say this is the first game that looked nearly equal on both setups on my x360. while i must say that the hdtv was 42 inch and the sdtv was 30 inch at max. people dont play the x360 version in dark rooms your eyes will bleed its so bright. the game itself is very very promising, cant wait to get the full version.

Eccocid

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Why do some people wish this game was in third person?

All the immersiveness would be gone and the game would just be a generic third person shooter with a twist.

Because i never get in to atmosphere when it is FPS, i always feel like a cameraman. I think immersiveness is much better when i see my character blending in to the background in a 3rd person camera.

zewone

I think it's impossible for a third person perspective game to be as immersive as a first person perspective game.

It's pretty much in their names.

StuBurns

Banned
zewone said:
I think it's impossible for a third person perspective game to be as immersive as a first person perspective game.

I don't think so, it's the opposite in film. The very few things done in first person are no where near as good.

zewone

stuburns said:
I don't think so, it's the opposite in film. The very few things done in first person are no where near as good.
That's true, but I think that the mediums are so different that a first person perspective lends itself more to gaming than film.
EDIT: As far as being immersed.

Eccocid

zewone said:

well it is at least for me.. when it is 3rd person i can have a bigger and wider view of the surrounding.

StuBurns

Banned
zewone said:
That's true, but I think that the mediums are so different that a first person perspective lends itself more to gaming than film.
EDIT: As far as being immersed.
Well the word immersed literally means for the user to be surrounded, in 3rd person the character is surrounded but the user is not. So by definition 3rd person isn't.

I think at the moment it depends on the type of game, ME wouldn't work in 3rd person, Portal wouldn't, most shooters couldn't. But things like MGS where you have have to be able to see the character within the environment can't be done in 1st person.

The medium hasn't matured to the point where there are any absolute truths yet.

Eccocid

stuburns said:
Well the word immersed literally means for the user to be surrounded, in 3rd person the character is surrounded but the user is not. So by definition 3rd person isn't.

I think at the moment it depends on the type of game, ME wouldn't work in 3rd person, Portal wouldn't, most shooters couldn't. But things like MGS where you have have to be able to see the character within the environment can't be done in 1st person.

The medium hasn't matured to the point where there are any absolute truths yet.

Yeah for example think of playing ICO or SotC in FPS, it would totally kill all the mood. Both games are about big open environments and open spaces and you have to see yourself from a 3rd person camera to get the feeling of it. Thats why i prefer 3rd person over FPS, cuz my most intense immersions are from 3rd person camera games.

Ashhong

stuburns said:

the jaggies definitely depends on the tv you play it on. first time i played was on a 1080i Panny CRT HDTV. in the opening scene when it scans over the city, it was HORRIBLE, so many jags.

playing on a samsung 1080p lcd hdtv i can rarely see any jaggies at all. it looks amazing

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ashhong said:
playing on a samsung 1080p lcd hdtv i can rarely see any jaggies at all. it looks amazing

Yeah, Samsung 40" 1080p here. Game looks fantastic. Very few jaggies.

StuBurns

Banned
Ashhong said:
the jaggies definitely depends on the tv you play it on. first time i played was on a 1080i Panny CRT HDTV. in the opening scene when it scans over the city, it was HORRIBLE, so many jags.

The fact is, the jaggies are there no matter what, it is the rendering, if you can't see them it's because of the TV, but it's not a good thing. There are no jaggies on SDTVs because they don't have the fidelity to display them.

Direct feed from the box has jaggies, if you can't see them on your TV it's actually a BAD thing.

I don't understand why people are still so hyped about the game after the demo. I mean, it's the same level we saw over and over in some video preview. And the gameplay isn't that great that I want to break out in celebrations.

nubbe

PS3 has more jaggies but the DS3 controller feels much better for this game. I was expecting it to play batter with the 360 controller but that isnt the case for me.

Okay, just finished playing both versions several times at the same time and I have ascertained the following:

1: Both versions are jaggy, the 360 version is slightly less so it's maybe running like 2xAA.

2: There is a difference in the lighting of both versions, the 360 version has both some boom issues where it crushes the whites too much and the color grading is too warm.

3: 360 version drops frames during the post tutorial ingame level intro (after the big jump and during the slide down the crane and up to the big jump that lands you at the starting point.)

Bottom line, I'm getting the PS3 version now, then I'll trade it in for the PC version when that comes out.

MickeyKnox said:
Both have their place but in terms of doing something like what this game is doing, the only way to pull it off is in first person.

oh it's great, but i just don't think first person perspective is automaticly more immersive than third person.
You'd think that would be the case given the name, but in reality it doesn't work that simple.
Sometimes we need to see the person to be more immersed (RE4)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
stuburns said:

In film yes, because you are not the one controlling things, but in this game you are.

I can imagine a time trial focused level which focuses a lot on crazy jumps and quick jump+180 degrees turn+jump acrobatic tricks :D.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Feindflug said:
Some of your impressions guys are really making me wonder if we played the same demo...PS3 demo is definitely plagued with jaggies, maybe the worst case of jaggies I've seen this gen and the 360 version is so much smoother it's not even funny - btw both systems are connected via HDMI at 1080p on a Samsung 40F86.

I honestly can't understand how can anyone prefer the PS3 version visual-wise...
On my setup the colours on the 360 version are shitty. The whites almost glow and the other colors are either a darker, uglier shade (red) or strangely enough much lighter (orange becomes yellow). It's bizarre and I'm starting to think it's a problem with my actual setup, not the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MickeyKnox said:
Okay, just finished playing both versions several times at the same time and I have ascertained the following:

Bottom line, I'm getting the PS3 version now, then I'll trade it in for the PC version when that comes out.
Did you notice the difference in the sun? Look directly at it and you'll see. I just found that odd as I can't imagine why this would be different.

It's bizarre and I'm starting to think it's a problem with my actual setup, not the game.
It is. There are subtle differences in lighting, but nothing that would completely transform the colors.

Rez>You said:
On my setup the colours on the 360 version are shitty. The whites almost glow and the other colors are either a darker, uglier shade (red) or strangely enough much lighter (orange becomes yellow). It's bizarre and I'm starting to think it's a problem with my actual setup, not the game.
Have you got the input that your 360 is on calibrated? I don't know if your TV supports per input calibration, but it's the way I had to do it on mine to get the best results.

dark10x said:
Did you notice the difference in the sun? Look directly at it and you'll see. I just found that odd as I can't imagine why this would be different.
Yeah, there's just something off with the whole lighting scheme of that version.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't get why some of you think there is a big difference in the colors between the PS3 and 360 from the source. On my setup there is basically no difference, except slightly warmer/whiter tones, slightly more "sunflare" and slightly sharper image in the 360 version.

On the pic comparison further up in the thread no wonder why there is a difference; The pics are not at the same angle, and the flare from the sun is in the way of the 360 pic.

There are considerably more jaggies in the PS3 version though, that is true.

But anyway, what a refreshing game!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Psychotext said:
Have you got the input that your 360 is on calibrated? I don't know if your TV supports per input calibration, but it's the way I had to do it on mine to get the best results.
My calibration is fine, the rest of my library looks fantastic. I'll experiment tomorrow and see if I can work out what's wrong.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think DICE showed a lot of people how you do a demo that both does not waste a lot of development time to make and gets people pumped up for the game while not spoiling too much of the game (many games either offer too much of the full game's gameplay or they do and end up spoiling the full game which awaits for purchasers in the bargains' bin).

It is not an easy thing to do, using the same level showed since the first E3 appearance could have been dangerous (people not interested in even booting it up), but it does provide you some great benefits:

1.) creating a demo is usually a lot of extra work for developers which takes away time from the game's development time and usually comes out much closer to the game release, sometime after, or it comes using a quite old build of the game which IMHO is bad... when you have to tell people "hey this is an old build the graphics/gameplay gets much better in the final release" you are doing damage control and you should not have to do that. This demo is based on a well tested, polished, and tight level with which they have been demoing the game since its first unveiling.

2.) this game looks very good, it is a beautiful to watch, but for how awesome it might look it is actually even better to play it and thankfully for DICE the videos of the game have given us thus far a kind of curiosity for this unique first person "parkour/adventure" game so people did want to at least try the demo. Even if you played the demo just to "try it out" and maybe you started it feeling a bit disappointed in getting the "same ol' level" you have seen someone else playing a thousand times already (not my case btw), by the time you have finished the tutorial and started playing the actual level you do not care anymore about what level you are playing in... you are IN the game so to speak :).
No game video can do this game justice... only a demo can and IMHO DID. This game is a must buy IMHO (if you can afford to purchase it during this packed season) and should be offered on PSN too as a full download (like they did with Burnout Paradise) for a somewhat discounted price (the advantage of digital delivery for EA would be that the game cannot be resold for Gamestop feeding the used sales market thus they could choose to price the PSN release at a lower price than the Blu-Ray version).

JB1981

The jaggies on the PS3 version on my CRT really aren't that bad at all. I think the game looks quite nice actually. And I'm a terrible graphics whore.

kizmah

Just bought a 360 with Mass Effect (rocks my socks btw) and downloaded this demo yesterday. I guess I now know what my next 360 purchase will be. This shit is...the shit!

Top Bottom