• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri proceeding w/ execution despite new DNA results clearing him (up: stayed)

Mark L

i think everyone should take their passion and fury and contact the governor and leave a nice message stating that this is 100% murder of an innocent man. every day until the exeuction. cause i will. this is fucked up.

PLEASE no fury. He has all the power here. Stay calm, polite, even tempered. A man's life is on the line. Leave the fury for here and the ballot box. And protesting, if you want to go that route.

Llyranor

This news really makes me absolutely raving angry. From law enforcement to the justice system to the prison system, is all of America run by white supremacists? I don't freaking get it.

UberTag

I'm a Missouri resident, I just called and left a message respectfully laying out the facts and pleading for a stay of execution. Will try to call again tomorrow.
I find it surprisingly reassuring that you were able to leave a message.
I don't expect anything to come of it because you live in Nazi-led America... but at least they haven't closed off all lines of communication to the constituents that helped elect them.

FStubbs

This news really makes me absolutely raving angry. From law enforcement to the justice system to the prison system, is all of America run by white supremacists? I don't freaking get it.

The Republican party platform is white supremacism, so yes.

Justice system working as designed. This is appalling honestly.

They don't wanna pay him, and he may as well die anyway because he's black.

Robot Pants

"Allow the execution anyway"
Jesus fucking Christ this world. How fucking sad is it we have to call the god damn governor to ask that they spare a (proven) innocent mans life?
This is baffling to me

traveler

Not Wario
Called. This is fucking infuriating.

If this fails, I expect everyone involved with moving this forward after the evidence cleared the man to be charged with manslaughter.

jelly

That's insane, how can you not stop that. So, have they tested the DNA against other suspects like you know, people in the gated community for a start.

reKon

Banned
Can someone please tell me I'm missing something. Here

Please... for my own fucking insanity. How in FUCK can this be justified?

moggio

Banned
The US executes children and the mentally ill. It's not going to baulk at someone who is possibly innocent.

Strike

ps7boJM.jpg
Absolute travesty and a mockery of justice. Call the governor.

I'm against the death penalty, so hope he gets off the hook there. Very unfortunate the judges can shoot down an appeal so easily.

I read up on the case a bit, though, and it does not seem like a case where Williams was just a random innocent guy picked up for this robbery-murder. The car used was his dads. He sold items that were stolen from the victim. The crackhead snitch was his girlfriend. Stuff like that not mentioned in the bullet points in the OP.

So, likely he had a hand in the brutal murder of a lady. Maybe he didn't directly kill her, DNA seems to indicate that. But, involved. As such my sympathy levels for 'that poor innocent man' are a tad lower than some.

kmax

Missouri is about to commit cold blooded murder of an innocent man.

I hope this is stopped, for all that is holy.

It's Missouri, which is conservative as it gets. It's the not entire U.S., even if our justice system is quite bad.

The same thing that will happen to your country if it's citizens don't remain ever vigilant....

We're becoming a parable to other nations on what not to be. Heartbreaking.

Some other countries have it far off worse then we do. We're hardly the example that only countries could fall-back to when they think of broken law systems, we just happened to the biggest example for obvious reasons.

Garlador

Amnesty International has a suggested script, if you don't know what to say when you call:

Hi, my name is [insert name here] and I live in [insert location]. I’m calling to urge Governor Greiten to stop the execution of Marcellus Williams and commute his death sentence. Marcellus Williams, an African American man aged 48, is due to be executed in Missouri on August 22nd for a 1998 murder. Two of the four federal judges to review his case have concluded that he received constitutionally inadequate representation at his sentencing. No DNA or eyewitness testimony links Marcellus to the crime, and he was tried before an almost all-white jury. I’m calling on the Governor and asking him to stop the execution of Marcellus Williams and commute his death sentence.

Thank you.

rjinaz

I'm against the death penalty, so hope he at gets off the hook there. Very unfortunate the judges can shoot down an appeal so easily.

I read up on the case a bit, though, and it does not seem like a case where Williams was just a random innocent guy picked up for this robbery-murder. The car used was his dads. He sold items that were stolen from the victim. The crackhead snitch was his girlfriend. Stuff like that not mentioned in the bullet points in the OP.

So, likely he had a hand in the brutal murder of a lady. Maybe he didn't directly kill her, DNA seems to indicate that. But, involved. As such my sympathy levels for 'that poor innocent man' are a tad lower than some.

Seems circumstantial to me based on the DNA evidence clearing him of the actual murder.

Either way he shouldn't get the death penalty. In your response that you don't have sympathy you failed to mention that you don't think he should be killed for this.

traveler

Not Wario
Reaching out to my brother who works in death penalty defense law from Yale to see if he can get his office to do anything on this as well. (Colorado, not Missouri, but still...)

Dalek

I don't believe in Heaven or Hell...but when I read stories like this I do wish there is a Hell so that the fuckers involved in killing this man spend an eternity in torment.

EYEL1NER

I'm from Missouri but don't currently live there. It seems that the mailbox is full but I'll be sure to put in a couple calls until I can get through, as well as make all friends and family in Missouri aware of this.

And this is why I'm not pro death penalty. I would LOVE to hear an argument from the pro death penalty camp justifying this, and trust this isn't a one off.

traveler

Not Wario
And this is why I'm not pro death penalty. I would LOVE to hear an argument from the prop death penalty camp justifying this, and trust this isn't a one off.

It could be a one off and there's still no good argument for the death penalty. Killing one innocent cannot be compensated for by any number of "just" executions.

Top Bottom