• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri proceeding w/ execution despite new DNA results clearing him (up: stayed)

Agreed, but I'm sure someone will make an argument for it anyway. There's a defense force for everything

I mean, the same logic could be applied to the hiroshima/nagasaki bombs and even then people fiercely defend it as the only/best option, how many innocent deads for "just" ones?

This is awful.

RoyalFool

Banned
Doesn't add up, do they still have any evidence other than witness testimony that it was him?

Whoever allows the execution to go ahead without concrete evidence should be tried for manslaughter. Are the family of the victim not asking why they are not reopening the case?

watershed

Banned
So fucked up. Literally sentencing him to death despite knowing full well that he is innocent. Normally this seems like something the justice department could stop but we have Sessions.

This is god damn bullshit and if the Police Officers and Judge don't go down for attempted murder I will have no faith in the US system.

Correction the Judge may have done nothing technically wrong, but ethically he is a bankrupt and he should be brought up on it and punished.

The Police Officers should be charged with Attempted Murder. They are responsible his incarceration, every bad thing that has happened to him and his murder if he is killed.

Xe4

Banned
Please call, people, especially if you live in Missouri.
With the death penalty and an imperfect, vindictive justice system it's inevitable no matter the race. Rick Perry refused to grant a stay to this guy in 2004 after new evidence was introduced, another tragedy.

Cameron Todd Willingham's ghost won't stop haunting Rick Perry
This is true. Our justice system fucks everyone. However, as an addendum, I'll add that the death penalty, as with all elements of our justice system is inherently racist. It's just another reason it needs to be gone from this country.

It's sickening that places that we normally think of as progressive have yet to get rid of the death penalty, as they should be pushing hard to remove it. The blue states are the only ones that have made the death penalty illegal. There is far too much red on that map.

Code:
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Death_penalty_in_the_United_States.svg/1024px-Death_penalty_in_the_United_States.svg.png?1502957697701[/IMG]

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
The voice mailbox is full - what more should we do? Not in the state or I'd just go to the Governor's offices to speak against this injustice. Because this is murder.

UberTag

Wait...how is this not illegal? Wtf
If you're black in Nazi-led America, the rules in place to protect the rest of society don't apply to you.

You can be executed by the state, shot by a cop while unarmed, incarcerated and forced to plea to a crime you did not commit... all while being innocent.

Heard about this via Sister Helen Prejean (one of the few out and out Catholic civil rights leaders left in the West). The death penalty is evil when there is beyond a shadow of a doubt - but this? This is something far worse.

GonzoCR

It's so fucked up that the first thing I thought when I read the thread title was "he's probably black". What the hell is wrong with America? Cops get away with murdering black men and now one gets convicted for a crime he didn't commit.

Tried calling but the phone kept ringing --here is what I planned to say " I've read about the Marcellus Williams case , and it seems DNA evidence has exonerate him. Despite this, the state is Missouri plans to execute him . If this execution goes through you are killing an innocent man.
Please put this execution on hold until we find the real killer"

Paertan

http://missourideathrow.com/2008/12/Williams-Marcellus/

Items belonging to to victim were found in his posession or were sold on by him.

There is evidence that point towards him being guilty. And evidence pointing to him not being guilty. I am not sure he is innocent, but if someone is to be executed then there should be without any doubt he is guilty. It seems he was involved somehow in the murder but he was not the murderer himself. I don't know enough about the laws in USA to know if that is enough for the death penalty.

Hieberrr

What makes this worse is they might be doing it to have someone, anyone, to pin this killing on. An eye for an eye kind of thing. It's so messed up.

The voice mailbox is full - what more should we do? Not in the state or I'd just go to the Governor's offices to speak against this injustice. Because this is murder.

I was able to get through just now - had to hold for six or seven minutes and then got to speak to someone.

n64coder

There is evidence that point towards him being guilty. And evidence pointing to him not being guilty. I am not sure he is innocent, but if someone is to be executed then there should be without any doubt he is guilty. It seems he was involved somehow in the murder but he was not the murderer himself. I don't know enough about the laws in USA to know if that is enough for the death penalty.

There have been people who were convicted of first degree murder even though they didn't actually kill the person because they plotted the crime or were at the scene. He's not innocent because he had some of the victim's possessions.

In any case, I'm against death penalty and feel that his sentence should be reduced to life or similar sentence if he was involved with the murder.

DeviantBoi

Can you imagine the money they would have to pay him if they let him free?

Can't have that, of course, so they have to kill him.

Fuckers.

Please call, people, especially if you live in Missouri.

This is true. Our justice system fucks everyone. However, as an addendum, I'll add that the death penalty, as with all elements of our justice system is inherently racist. It's just another reason it needs to be gone from this country.

It's sickening that places that we normally think of as progressive have yet to get rid of the death penalty, as they should be pushing hard to remove it. The blue states are the only ones that have made the death penalty illegal. There is far too much red on that map.

Code:
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Death_penalty_in_the_United_States.svg/1024px-Death_penalty_in_the_United_States.svg.png?1502957697701[/IMG]

I didn't realize Maryland got rid of the death penalty and had to look it up, it happened in 2013. Good on my home state

Shredderi

So everyone knows that he is without a doubt innocent, and they know everyone knows. Yet they can do this? JUST FUCKING HOW. I want this motherfucker judge into a chair with a gun pointed to his head and forced to reveal the truth behind this shitshow. Someone is being covered for, or someone is getting paid, or then it's done in order to avoid having to pay him large sums of money.

There's another thing being glossed over here. If we are executing him for the murder he didn't commit, that means the case is going to be closed and we aren't going to search for the actual murderer. In this case, a murderer essentially got to walk free.

By law in most states you don't have to be the actual trigger man to be guilty of first degree murder, as long as someone dies during your commission of a felony. See: Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Of course, none of that shit matters because the death penalty is barbaric bullshit that has no place in a civilized society.

By law in most states you don't have to be the actual trigger man to be guilty of first degree murder, as long as someone dies during your commission of a felony.

I don't think that people who know the facts of the case are saying that Marcellus Williams is a good man, he was almost certainly an accessory to this crime, but I think we can all agree that he isn't the killer and shouldn't die for a crime he didn't commit.

What's really baffling is that the actual killer is someone clearly known to Williams, and yet their identity isn't being revealed by any of the parties involved (Williams is willing to die rather than snitch? The killer is willing to let his friend die rather than admit to his crime?)

I'm against the death penalty, but the original post is slanted in a way that makes it would like he is clearly innocent. For example, his girlfriend was is described by a drug addicted prostitute. Additionally, the OP states that DNA on the murder weapon didn't match the man convicted, but doesn't mention that he wa in possession of the murder victim's stolen items. There's a lot of injustice in this country, but the arguments being made in the OP is very biased.

I don't think that people who know the facts of the case are saying that Marcellus Williams is a good man, he was almost certainly an accessory to this crime, but I think we can all agree that he isn't the killer and shouldn't die for a crime he didn't commit.

What's really baffling is that the actual killer is someone clearly known to Williams, and yet their identity isn't being revealed by any of the parties involved (Williams is willing to die rather than snitch? The killer is willing to let his friend die rather than admit to his crime?)

I'd be curious to know more about the DNA, but I don't think it definitely clears him. For example, I imagine if a stranger broke into my house and stabbed me with a knife in my kitchen it could still have lingering DNA from someone else who used it previously. The found DNA doesn't sound like it was attached to bodily fluids related to the murder. I'm curious to know more.

Let me say this up front: I am 100% against the death penalty even if he did pull the proverbial trigger himself (in case I believe it's actually a stabbing). In this particular case, we KNOW he did not, so if was possible to be more against the death penalty, I would be.

Even if he isn't the killer, IF he did commit some other crime during which the murder took place, he is just as guilty as whomever did the actual stabbing. Now, I put "IF" in caps because a quick reading of case details show that there is not one shred of physical evidence that even links Williams to the location. He had her stuff, true, but that could easily have been given to him by the actual killer, in which case the most he's guilty of is Receipt of Stolen Property.

I'd be curious to know more about the DNA, but I don't think it definitely clears him. For example, I imagine if a stranger broke into my house and stabbed me with a knife in my kitchen it could still have lingering DNA from someone else who used it previously. The found DNA doesn't sound like it was attached to bodily fluids related to the murder. I'm curious to know more.

Google gave me this:

Source

Mr. Williams was convicted of stabbing Felicia Gayle to death. Mr. Williams has always maintained his innocence, but was ultimately convicted based on nothing but circumstantial evidence and unreliable informant testimony. One informant has a history of falsely informing on others in exchange for leniency for his own criminal activity, as well as a history of mental illness. The other was addicted to crack and promised leniency for her criminal problems. Both wanted the $10,000 reward offered. What’s more, their stories are inconsistent with each others’, despite likely having been coached by police and/or prosecutors. It’s shocking that Missouri would execute anyone based on such thin evidence. Life in prison would be much safer. What’s worse is that DNA could tell us all the truth, the state wants to ignore that potential truth and just kill the man. Why?

There was significant blood, hair, and other biological evidence at the crime scene. The DNA found under Ms. Gayle’s fingernails – which is most likely to match the killer - does not match Mr. Williams. In fact, none of the DNA matches Mr. Williams. For unexplained reasons, the other evidence has never been DNA tested."

Famassu

Just reading the thread title, I was sure this was about a black man. Not surprised the case against him overall sounds bogus as well. Umericah gonna Umericah.

rj118

The message box was full when calling in, that's at least a good sign. Whether they'll listen or not is another matter.

Xe4

Banned
I'm against the death penalty, but the original post is slanted in a way that makes it would like he is clearly innocent. For example, his girlfriend was is described by a drug addicted prostitute. Additionally, the OP states that DNA on the murder weapon didn't match the man convicted, but doesn't mention that he wa in possession of the murder victim's stolen items. There's a lot of injustice in this country, but the arguments being made in the OP is very biased.

When the only evidence is two testimonies and the person having possessions, that shouldn't even be enough to convict the person, much less give them the death penalty, especially when the DNA and other physical evidence does not match.

I put a higher stock in DNA evidence than eyewitness testimony always, as does law enforcement. However eyewitness testimony is far more easily manipulated and *seems* more reliable than it actually is, which is why it's a godsend for prosecutors.

When the only evidence is two testimonies and the person having possessions, that shouldn't even be enough to convict the person, much less give them the death penalty, especially when the DNA and other physical evidence does not match.

I put a higher stock in DNA evidence than eyewitness testimony always, as does law enforcement. However eyewitness testimony is far more easily manipulated and *seems* more reliable than it actually is, which is why it's a godsend for prosecutors.

The investigation went Marcellus cellmate was released from prison and Once free told police that Marcellus admitted to murder and provides details about murder not released to public. Police investigate, and his girlfriend says that Marcellus admitted to murder after she questioned bloody clothing/his possession of dead woman's things. Police then hunt down Marcellus' uncle who gives police permission to search car Marcellus allegedly drove that night. They find items belonging to the murder victim. They then find the murder victims laptop and the man who claims he purchased it from Marcellus.

Marcellus' defense argued that his cellmate and girlfriend made up their stories for award money, but what are the odds that you randomly accuse someone of murder and they just happen to have the victim's possessions?

The story saying the DNA came from underneath the victim's fingernails makes it sound like it could only have gotten there from defending herself, but I'd like to see the description of the DNA sample from a more direct source.

Google gave me this:

I think it's a game of telephone. The article that the author cites from your source states that Marcellus' DNA wasn't found under her fingernails. Marcellus' girlfriend had testified that he had scratch marks on his neck the night of the murder.

The DNA not confirming Marcellus as the killer still leaves the other evidence. DNA is thought of a sure thing, and it some cases it is. But in cases with smaller samples, the results are very much open to interpretation. Additionally, the spread of DNA is not nearly as predictable as one would think.

From an interesting article in the Atlantic not related to this case. "And because we all shed different amounts of cells, the strongest DNA profile on an object doesn’t always correspond to the person who most recently touched it. I could pick up a knife at 10 in the morning, but an analyst testing the handle that day might find a stronger and more complete DNA profile from my wife, who was using it four nights earlier. Or the analyst might find a profile of someone who never touched the knife at all. One recent study asked participants to shake hands with a partner for two minutes and then hold a knife; when the DNA on the knives was analyzed, the partner was identified as a contributor in 85 percent of cases, and in 20 percent as the main or sole contributor." https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/480747/

Yet no DNA of Marcellus was found anywhere.

How do you think Marcellus' cellmate knew to accuse him of murdering the person he did? Was it just luck that he named someone who was murdered, accused Marcellus, and Marcellus coincidentally had sold her stolen items and still in possession of others?

Check the Atlantic article above to see why his lack of DNA being collected doesn't clear him of being involved.

Xe4

Banned
The investigation went Marcellus cellmate was released from prison and Once free told police that Marcellus admitted to murder and provides details about murder not released to public. Police investigate, and his girlfriend says that Marcellus admitted to murder after she questioned bloody clothing/his possession of dead woman's things. Police then hunt down Marcellus' uncle who gives police permission to search car Marcellus allegedly drove that night. They find items belonging to the murder victim. They then find the murder victims laptop and the man who claims he purchased it from Marcellus.

Marcellus' defense argued that his cellmate and girlfriend made up their stories for award money, but what are the odds that you randomly accuse someone of murder and they just happen to have the victim's possessions?

The story saying the DNA came from underneath the victim's fingernails makes it sound like it could only have gotten there from defending herself, but I'd like to see the description of the DNA sample from a more direct source.

Again, when your only evidence is two testimonies (after posting a $10,000 reward), and a victims items, that's not much of a case. Testimonies are made to fit the crime by police interrogators all the time, and there is some speculation that this was the case even here. If you look at all the physical evidence, including multiple DNA sources and his footprints, and none of it points to him being the one to commit the murder (and rather an unspecified third party), that is not enough evidence to convict him.

Granted, that DNA testing wasn't available at the time, but if it was, I would have voted to acquit, because it absolutely does not constitute an overwhelming preponderance of evidence. Certainly, if we're going to kill someone at all (and I'm of the opinion the death penalty is never warranted), every bit of evidence has to show their guilt, and that isn't true in this case whatsoever.

Top Bottom