• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri proceeding w/ execution despite new DNA results clearing him (up: stayed)

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Lest we forget, former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia (may he burn in hell if such a place exists) opined that it's not unconstitutional to execute the innocent.

____

I'm hoping that's a positive sign and that people lit up that phone line.

Yea just tried to call and mailbox is full. I’ll be spamming the number every day and hopefully enough people call about this. There’s less than a week left to save this man’s life.

This hits close to home as my brother was charged, tried, convicted and sentenced to natural life without the possibility of parole for a crime he didn’t commit. He was 19. “Luckily”, after 9 years of countless prison visits, $$$$$$, court dates, appeals and family tears, our lawyer got the charges dismissed and he was released.

Not racism.

/s

I'll call again in the morning.

Has anyone has any luck finding options emigrating elsewhere? I don't qualify for Canada's Express Entry (not enough professional experience and/or money, being just out of college n' all).

traveler

Not Wario
Not racism.

/s

I'll call again in the morning.

Has anyone has any luck finding options emigrating elsewhere? I don't qualify for Canada's Express Entry (not enough professional experience and/or money, being just out of college n' all).

I looked at immigrating to New Zealand a while back for separate reasons. Do you have a pristine record and happen to, uh, work in an agricultural field?

Do Missouri Republicans care, though? We already saw the worst of the worst, this week. I'm not putting anything behind these people.

I just... Don't get how a human being could just deny this man is innocent... Its your job and you just proceed without a word. Im disgusted, and sick. This country is so fucked.

Sulik2

Do Missouri Republicans care, though? We already saw the worst of the worst, this week. I'm not putting anything behind these people.

They dont. What the last ten years has taught us is that the members of GOP, both their voters and their reps are the worst people in Western Civilization. All of them are rascist, self centered and evil human beings who care for nothing but money and themselves. Watching an innocent black man die will make most of them smile.

Hypron

Everyone supporting the dealth penalty, this is what you are supporting. Innocents like this man are always going to die as long as you've got the death penalty.

There's still time for him, I hope enough people call/show up and that someone in charge corrects this injustice.

Mark L

Something to remember about Missouri: there was huge confederate presence here, and they were only stopped from seceding by virtue of St. Louis being the main hub for the Union's western forces. As it was, there was some of the nastiest and most horrifying guerilla warfare of the Civil War in our rural areas.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Next time the usual chucklefucks here in the UK say to bring back the death penalty, I'm citing this.

A genuinely evil case. An innocent man is going to die because reasons. Reasons we can't even have access to. That is not justice.

HotHamBoy

Now imagine if this was a white man :/

Well, Brandon Dassey is still in jail and that kid definitely didn't have shit to do with that murder.

But this does look racially motivated. Could also be a situation if the state not wanting to admit they were wrong. They'd be sued for sure. Or both.

Dam how predictable that the innocent man is a black person. And they still want to take his live with all the evidence clearing him of the crime.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The American justice system; where murderers can legally execute the innocent, additionally protected by the system that permits them such power.

Amalthea

Banned
They would just put up concentration camps for black people if there wasn't any need for dog-whistling. And that goes way before Trump.

Ozigizo

i don't really understand how the MO supreme court allowed this

and yeah I am totally against the death penalty, its hell on earth for the victims families having to go to court every time there is an appeal and they have to relive the horror, it costs an insane amount of money to house these people in special wings and handle decades of appeals, and of course the obvious "what if we execute an innocent person".

Much rather let the guilty rot in jail for the rest of their lives, and when a mistake is made at least we can let the person live free for whatever remains of their life, as fucked up as their life got because someone didn't do their job right.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well, Brandon Dassey is still in jail and that kid definitely didn't have shit to do with that murder.

But this does look racially motivated. Could also be a situation if the state not wanting to admit they were wrong. They'd be sued for sure. Or both.
Can't they be sued by family if he gets executed anyway?

The american justice system is a joke and will continue to be a joke. I bet more people would be upset that a confederate statue was torn down or an NFL player took a knee during the national anthem then if this man who is obviously innocent of the crime he is in jail for was executed.

Anticol

Banned
So in America they execute inocent people just because they are black but they protect nazis from any harm?

America is great again.

Ploid 3.0

What a travesty. The fuck is going on over there...

Business as usual.

Speaking of, I wonder who is making money on this. I get they may want a scapegoat for the family, this may help with closure, or want this case closed, but with clear evidence and the murder still scheduled it just seems money has to be involved somehow. How will the murder happen? Will they use chemicals they have expiring in their dungeon somewhere? Do they have a contract that requires them to kill someone every so often or the price of the killing supplies go up? Sort of like private prisons needing their cells filled at any cost?

Monocle

A sobering reminder that state-sanctioned revenge was never about justice to begin with. People cultivate stories to give themselves a sense of security and moral superiority, and they wet the soil with human blood.

"Criminals are bad and broken people who are nothing like me."

"Executions deter crime."

"He wouldn't be in that position unless he did something wrong."

"You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs."

To some death penalty supporters, it doesn't matter if he's innocent because his guilt isn't the point. People have to die to give weight to their fiction.

what the hell.... if they don't cancel it, i really hope i huge mob will come and try to prevent it from happening (i know, we're not in a movie, but still....)

this is freaking infuriating! There's fucking proof, what's their excuse? Did they actually say anything? (not that it matters, i just want to hear their fucking twisted logic)

Tecnniqe

Banned
Evidence say not guilty > gets death penalty still.

Makes sense. Just another day of state approved murder of citizens.

Top Bottom