• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto press conference in Paris (Mario 3D, a ghost game?, 3DS as a controller?)

-> Super Mario 3D will be a combination of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros.

what he really said "To give you an idea of Super Mario 3D, imagine a mixture of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy with a little bit of New Super Mario Bros"

I understand french so this is a little different from what I saw on the OP

Someone asked about the lack of dual analog on the 3DS.

Miyamoto says that a second stick had been considered but they decided against it because it's common to use just a finger to play. Adds that proper implementation of gyro controls should be better than a second stick for the purpose of controlling a camera.

Boney

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:

Miyamoto says that a second stick had been considered but they decided against it because it's common to use one hand or even a finger. Adds that proper implementation of gyro controls should be better than a second stick for the purpose of controlling a camera.
that's some kurazy shit

Slime

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:

Miyamoto says that a second stick had been considered but they decided against it because it's common to use one hand or even a finger. Adds that proper implementation of gyro controls should be better than a second stick for the purpose of controlling a camera.

I love you Miyamoto, but no. Never.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've never asked this before, but I'm sure others did: can the 3D slider be registered as an input?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Holy Order Sol said:

Miyamoto says that a second stick had been considered but they decided against it because it's common to use just a finger to play. Adds that proper implementation of gyro controls should be better than a second stick for the purpose of controlling a camera.
Worked great for Lair!

Muhahahaha

Holy Order Sol said:
The problem was having to pause to switch boots. The design of the dungeon itself doesn't need fixing.

Oh, and what about the hella slow on iron boot backtracking through submerged tunnels?

The temple is one of the poster children for the water level problem for a reason.

Boney said:
never understood how people find it hard

I didn't really. I just found it slow and cumbersome for the just above mentioned reason.

Haunted

"To give you an idea of Super Mario 3D, imagine a mixture of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy with a little bit of New Super Mario Bros"
3MYY3.gif

s75Je.gif

Q&A is pretty long but nothing that has not be posted or heard before

enjoyed his answers though :)

some of the questions are funny... if Nintendo asked you to make the Last Mario and never do another what else would you create? lol

oh boy he is talking about creating music as an answer :)

Effect

If Nintendo is looking at possibly making the 3DS a controller or seeing if it can be done I wonder if rumor sources on the Wii 2 controller really misunderstood. Why make a controller like they are claiming if Nintendo might be looking at what the 3DS could be used as. Or perhaps they've already done this and rumors are unknowingly referring actually to the 3DS. Such use would have be extra and separate from what the actual controller would be. The idea that the included controller would have a screen never did make any sense. I'm still hoping the controller is a controller like the Wii remote but with more buttons and maybe a circle pad like the 3DS. So there is no excuse when it comes to controls. Enough buttons as the other controllers on the other systems including analog controls but keeping motion and pointer control.

The Mario news is great and would like to see another ghost game from Nintendo.

Holy Order Sol said:

No...just, no.

Holy Order Sol said:
Farore's Wind would save you most of it. Personally I hardly used it yet didn't have a problem with that.

That only reduces the amount of backtracking. It doesn't fix the water slowdown problem.

A real fix would be to give Link something along the lines of Zora's Flippers in order to give him better mobility and speed in the water.

Effect said:
If Nintendo is looking at possibly making the 3DS a controller or seeing if it can be done I wonder if rumor sources on the Wii 2 controller really misunderstood. Why make a controller like they are claiming if Nintendo might be looking at what the 3DS could be used as. Or perhaps they've already done this and rumors are unknowingly referring actually to the 3DS. Such use would have be extra and separate from what the actual controller would be. The idea that the included controller would have a screen never did make any sense. I'm still hoping the controller is a controller like the Wii remote but with more buttons and maybe a circle pad like the 3DS. So there is no excuse when it comes to controls. Enough buttons as the other controllers on the other systems including analog controls but keeping motion and pointer control.

The Mario news is great and would like to see another ghost game from Nintendo.
While some of the rumors are very contradicting. I don't see developers or journalists confusing the two. I also doubt Nintendo would be telling developers they can use the standard controller or a $250 controller to control the game. I do think they would offer the 3DS as a controller option and even provide additional functionality or gameplay incentives with using your 3DS but I don't think Nintendo would ever propose the 3DS like the classic controller was for the Wii.

If the general rumors are to be believed a touch screen controller included on the controller would make sense and allow for the 3DS to be used as an alternative but I don't see a main hook to the system and many games being designed off of using the 3DS solely, JMO. Yeah, I know people are going to reference FSA and FF:CC but those weren't that successful and wasn't advertised as a main hook to the system.

justchris

Magicpaint said:
I really hope nothing comes out of the concept of the 3DS being used as a controller. Please leave that awful GC/GBA connectivity era where it belongs. I'm still burned over Crystal Chronicles GC.

Except where it belongs is the future. Except for Pac-Man Vs and LoZ: Four Swords, it was never really used well. There is a lot more potential in the idea.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
KAL2006 said:
Super Mario 3DS
Mario Kart 3DS
Zelda OoT

All these games dropping this year damn. Well I might have to get a 3DS if this is true, hopefully by then the 3DS drops to at least £160 in the UK. Also the eStore should also drop by then.

Eh fuck it, I'm going to refrain myself and wait for 3DS Lite as I will be busy with Uncharted 3, Zelda Skyward Sword, Mass Effect 3, Twisted Metal and all other games on consoles dropping this year. Also I may get an NGP at launch if it has a decent web browser and videoplayer. On the bright side if I get a 3DSLite, all the 3DS games I wanted should drop in price a little.
3DS is already £175 in the UK, if you really are interested I can't see £15 making that big of a difference, just sell a not-so-good game you don't care about.

KAL2006

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
3DS is already £175 in the UK, if you really are interested I can't see £15 making that big of a difference, just sell a not-so-good game you don't care about.

Like I said in that post you quoted, I can't justify buying a new console when I already have tons of games to play this year and less time to play the games. Buying a new console when there are already a ton of games to place wold be pointless, I may as well wait for 3DS Lite, by then some of the game prices should also drop in price.

-> Mario Kart 3D will be released this year.
Well, well, well...
Well.

I hope Nintendo is planning Animal Crossing for this year as well, because Mario Kart is multiplayer dependent and I enjoy some forever alone gaming sessions. Thank you very much.

I love when Nintendo releases a new Animal Crossing entry with only a few weeks left until the next season! The pressure of trying to collect all fishes and bugs... The meltdowns on GameFaqs, bwahaha! I can't wait.

onQ123

I almost made a thread about the The lack of dual analog because the Gyro is better for camera control thing but I click on the source link & it bought me right back to neogaf lol

KevinCow

Banned
-> Someone asked about the lack of dual analog on the 3DS. Miyamoto says that a second stick had been considered but they decided against it because it's common to use just a finger to play. Adds that proper implementation of gyro controls should be better than a second stick for the purpose of controlling a camera.

Miyamoto is a silly man. He can come up with so many absolutely brilliant ideas, but he has trouble grasping why a second stick is a good idea. Like having a good control option for left-handed people in games that use the slide pad and stylus. Which is especially bizarre, since he's left-handed.

KevinCow said:
Miyamoto is a silly man. He can come up with so many absolutely brilliant ideas, but he has trouble grasping why a second stick is a good idea. Like having a good control option for left-handed people in games that use the slide pad and stylus. Which is especially bizarre, since he's left-handed.

I think it's time to let the youngsters to take over. I wonder who Iwata is grooming.

From The Dust said:
I think it's time to let the youngsters to take over. I wonder who Iwata is grooming.

Miyamoto isn't really a hardware designer, though.
He probably has some input, but not the final say so.

Senile?
Isn't he only like 60 something?
He isn't senile, he's just very old fashioned (which is EXACTLY why his games are still awesome).
He doesn't need to change a damn thing.

Wondering why the 3DS lacks a second analog nub? Shigeru Miyamoto finally answered that very question during a recent press event in Paris. Miyamoto explained that Nintendo considered adding a second circle pad, though ultimately decided against it because they felt that it’s common to use your finger to play. In terms of camera control, Miyamoto believes that the system’s built-in gyoscope should be more effective than an additional circle pad.

How the fuck is that supposed to work with the shit viewing angle with 3D?

If he actually made a game where the image projected to each eye was different, that'd be the first game to actually require 3D. Worth noting for the implications.

Oh, and Super Mario 3DS HYPE.

Barrett2

I wonder what he means by describing Mario 3DS that way.

"Its sort of like all your favorite Mario games rolled into one!"

Top Bottom